• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Got a Tyrunt in Wonder Trade with all 3 elemental Fangs so because of it's ability I decided to keep all 3 and give it a Rock move for STAB (since Dragon moves are only Super Effective against Dragon pokemon) So should I reconsider and give it a dragon move instead of one of the fangs, or should I be fine as is? Thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Got a Tyrunt in Wonder Trade with all 3 elemental Fangs so because of it's ability I decided to keep all 3 and give it a Rock move for STAB (since Dragon moves are only Super Effective against Dragon pokemon) So should I reconsider and give it a dragon move instead of one of the fangs, or should I be fine as is? Thanks!

Tyrantrum doesn't need all of its elemental fangs to succeed because they take up needed moveslots. The only one it should be using is Ice Fang because of its ability to hit Dragons like Garchomp and Dragonite, as well as Landorus and Gliscor, super effectively. Fire Fang could be a possibility for hitting Ferrothorn. Thunder Fang doesn't really cover anything apart from Gyarados, who's hit hard by Stone Edge/Head Smash anyways. Really, the best set Tyrantrum can do is this:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Stone Edge/Head Smash
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang
    -Ice Fang
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    I'm sure this has been covered somewhere so sorry for the repeat question. When it comes to Vivillon patterns, is the pattern determined when it evolves? For example, if you got a Scatterbug from somewhere with a different patttern, would it change to your area's pattern when it evolved? In other words can you only trade for Vivillons when looking for other patterns?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Tyrantrum doesn't need all of its elemental fangs to succeed because they take up needed moveslots. The only one it should be using is Ice Fang because of its ability to hit Dragons like Garchomp and Dragonite, as well as Landorus and Gliscor, super effectively. Fire Fang could be a possibility for hitting Ferrothorn. Thunder Fang doesn't really cover anything apart from Gyarados, who's hit hard by Stone Edge/Head Smash anyways. Really, the best set Tyrantrum can do is this:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Stone Edge/Head Smash
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang
    -Ice Fang
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

So basically, regardles of which way I go, I won't need a dragon type move then, right? (as long as I have Ice Fang)

Years
  • I'm sure this has been covered somewhere so sorry for the repeat question. When it comes to Vivillon patterns, is the pattern determined when it evolves? For example, if you got a Scatterbug from somewhere with a different patttern, would it change to your area's pattern when it evolved? In other words can you only trade for Vivillons when looking for other patterns?
    No, you don't only need to trade Vivillons. The Scatterbugs will evolve into the pattern of the region of the game they were originally caught in.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    Masuda Method Question

So I am trying to get a shiny pikachu and I have a Japanese pikachu and a US one but I got the Japanese one when it was a pichu and I had to evolve it before I could start breeding. When I evolved it, it's name switched from Japanese to English but it still says it's from japan. I have hatched 130 eggs and no shiny, but before I do more I want to make sure that the method will still work even though the pikachus name is in English.

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Yep, the name doesn't matter, it just needs to be from a different region and the JAP tag is all you need to worry about.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I'm curious why many people are okay with cloned Pokemon. To me, they seem just as much of a cheat as hacked Pokemon. I understand there's a bigger difference in terms of battling, but as far as completing your Pokedex, doesn't it seem like you are not legitimately completing it if you are using Pokemon that you wouldn't have had if someone hadn't cloned them in the first place?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I'm curious why many people are okay with cloned Pokemon. To me, they seem just as much of a cheat as hacked Pokemon. I understand there's a bigger difference in terms of battling, but as far as completing your Pokedex, doesn't it seem like you are not legitimately completing it if you are using Pokemon that you wouldn't have had if someone hadn't cloned them in the first place?

the same could be said for bred pokemon. If someone hadn't bred the pokemon they gave you, you wouldn't have it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    the same could be said for bred pokemon. If someone hadn't bred the pokemon they gave you, you wouldn't have it.

Nah, that's not a good example at all. Breeding is a legitimate, built-in part of the game. If the parents were obtained legitimately, then the baby is still a natural part of the game. Cloning, if I understand it correctly, is essentially a milder type of hacked Pokemon.

Edit: Your example also doesn't work with Legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Nah, that's not a good example at all. Breeding is a legitimate, built-in part of the game. If the parents were obtained legitimately, then the baby is still a natural part of the game. Cloning, if I understand it correctly, is essentially a milder type of hacked Pokemon.

You never specifically specified legendaries. And while I'm not arguing that it's not a legitimate way of getting pokemon, my point is still valid in that if someone didn't breed a pokemon, you wouldn't get it so you could very much compare cloning with breeding in that respect which is what I was getting at.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday

I think the idea is that cloned Pokémon are created using glitches or exploits in the game's programming (like the Gen II cloning glitch), while hacked mons are created by external sources (like an Action Replay).

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

I completely agree with you about legendaries (and shinies too). People who clone those are massive cheats, as it gives them HUGE leverage on the GTS, and even if it's a glitch in the game, it's clearly not what the creators intended.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • Garchomp can have sandstorm ability as well as rough skin trait, right? Or is it one or the other?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Garchomp can have sandstorm ability as well as rough skin trait, right? Or is it one or the other?

Rough skin is its Hidden Ability, Sand Veil is its only normal ability. Sand Veil is banned in places using Smogon's rules like Showdown, but is ok to use in other places like Battle Spot or VGC. I think that Rough Skin is usually better than Sand Veil unless doing a Sand team.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    You never specifically specified legendaries. And while I'm not arguing that it's not a legitimate way of getting pokemon, my point is still valid in that if someone didn't breed a pokemon, you wouldn't get it so you could very much compare cloning with breeding in that respect which is what I was getting at.

Why should I specify Legendaries? I'm talking about ALL Pokemon. Cloning is not a legitimate way to "create" Pokemon, whereas breeding is. I just don't see how your example makes any sense to what I'm saying.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Why should I specify Legendaries? I'm talking about ALL Pokemon. Cloning is not a legitimate way to "create" Pokemon, whereas breeding is. I just don't see how your example makes any sense to what I'm saying.

Mmm, I think the reason why cloning is less frowned upon than hacking is because there are clones of legit Pokemon. You have to do some sort of work to get a Pokemon that is cloned. Like let's say you cloned your 6IV Gale Wings Talonflame. You had to do some work to get the original 6IV Gale Wings Talonflame. Hacked Pokemno essentially require no work, so if you clone a hacked pokemon, who cares about the cloned part, its already bad enough that its hacked. That, and cloned Pokemon can't be like Wondertombs unless it was cloned from a hacked Pokemon.

....Something like that.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Mmm, I think the reason why cloning is less frowned upon than hacking is because there are clones of legit Pokemon. You have to do some sort of work to get a Pokemon that is cloned. Like let's say you cloned your 6IV Gale Wings Talonflame. You had to do some work to get the original 6IV Gale Wings Talonflame. Hacked Pokemno essentially require no work, so if you clone a hacked pokemon, who cares about the cloned part, its already bad enough that its hacked. That, and cloned Pokemon can't be like Wondertombs unless it was cloned from a hacked Pokemon.

....Something like that.

The only explanation I can think of is that cloned Pokemon are spread out enough that everyone is more or less on an even playing field (in terms of getting them from and using them for trades), but hacked Pokemon are more unique in that they create an unfair advantage in battles against other people, and they are maybe less likely to be traded if they were made for that purpose. Of course, hacking a Pokemon just to trade (like a Legendary) is basically the same as cloning one you have, with the exception of the initial work of getting the one to clone, like you said.

In any case, I just wish neither method existed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back