• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hey! Just wanted to know what the IV judge means when he says -
    "This pokemon's potential is decent all round...I would say that its greatest potential lies in its HP, but it's attack stat is good too, and it's defense stat is good too, although it's special attack is equally good, its special defense seems just as good though, and well it's speed stat is good too. It has rather decent stats, I'd say. But it's HP...it's pretty dismal, you know?And that's quite a disappointing Attack stat there, and that defense stat is nothing to write home about, and I'm afraid it's special attack is pretty bad too, and it looks like its no great shakes when it comes to special defense either, and that speed stat... Well it's nothing to brag about, that's for sure. ". Does this mean my pokemon has 0 IVs in every stat?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    "This pokemon's potential is decent all round...I would say that its greatest potential lies in its HP, but it's attack stat is good too, and it's defense stat is good too, although it's special attack is equally good, its special defense seems just as good though, and well it's speed stat is good too. It has rather decent stats, I'd say. But it's HP...it's pretty dismal, you know?And that's quite a disappointing Attack stat there, and that defense stat is nothing to write home about, and I'm afraid it's special attack is pretty bad too, and it looks like its no great shakes when it comes to special defense either, and that speed stat... Well it's nothing to brag about, that's for sure. ". Does this mean my pokemon has 0 IVs in every stat?

This is exactly why I don't get why people go on and on about going to the IV judge is the best way to determine IVs, you always have to keep deciphering his statements and even then you only get a range of numbers, not the specific number of an IV unless it's 31. Anyway, to answer your question, I don't know what those phrases mean exactly, but I wold suggest going onto the PGL website and cashing in your Pokemiles for a bunch of Rare Candies (you can do it in game too, but on the PGL website they're half the price they are in game) then save, plug the level, species, nature and stats of your pokemon into an online calculator like this https://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml and keep levelling up until you get the exact IVs in every stat then there's no guess work. And you only need to get rare candies once, once you get your IVs simply reset the game and your pokemon is back down to the level you saved at and you have all your rare candies back.

Years
    The problem is, it's a shiny Mewtwo lvl 100. I have enough rare candies but there's no point coz I can't level it up anymore. I've evaluated more than a hundred different pokemon and this is the first time he's saying something like this so I don't really know what to make of it

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016

Yes, it means it has 0 IVs in every stat. Pretty impressive.

The easiest way of finding precise IVs is by using KeySAV. Once you have it set up, it'll take about 30 seconds to find out the IVs of a whole box of Pokemon. This thread has a good guide to setting it up: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=320591. The thread is geared towards using it to find shiny values, but as well as telling you shiny values it also tells you a Pokemon's IVs. The only drawback is that you either need an Action Replay Powersaves or a digital copy of X/Y to use KeySAV.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Pokemon X & Y Ribbons

Hi,

If I transfer Pokemon from Gen III to Pokemon X & Y, how do their ribbons transfer over? I know that Contest Memory Ribbon & Battle Memory Ribbon replace all contest ribbons & battle tower ribbons earned in previous generations. My question is if I have a Pokemon with 6 contest ribbons from previous generations, do I get 6 contest memory ribbons or just 1? My question also goes for tower ribbons. Do all of the other ribbons get transferred over to Pokemon X & Y like the ribbons for beating the elite four from Generation III? I don't want to waste my time getting a whole bunch of contest ribbons if I get only one memory contest ribbon for all of them, or bother transferring Pokemon from Colosseum or XD to X & Y if the ribbon for purifying them doesn't transfer over to X & Y.

Thanks,

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So Genesect Training, which would be better? (it is a mixed attacker to make use of it's ability Download) would it be better to EV train both Attacks, give the 1 extra point to speed and give it a speed boosting move like Flame Charge or Rock Polish, OR should I max out it's speed and split both attacks by giving them 129 points each? (I know there are a million ways to do it, but these are the two options I've narrowed things down to)

For background:

Nature: Hasty
    Held Item: Douse Drive (to handle it's ONLY weakness of Fire)
    X-Scissor
    Flash Cannon
    Techno Blast (water)
    depending on EV training - Flame Charge, Rock Polish, or...?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So Genesect Training, which would be better? (it is a mixed attacker to make use of it's ability Download) would it be better to EV train both Attacks, give the 1 extra point to speed and give it a speed boosting move like Flame Charge or Rock Polish, OR should I max out it's speed and split both attacks by giving them 129 points each? (I know there are a million ways to do it, but these are the two options I've narrowed things down to)

For background:

Held Item: Douse Drive (to handle it's ONLY weakness of Fire)
    X-Scissor
    Flash Cannon
    Techno Blast (water)
    depending on EV training - Flame Charge, Rock Polish, or...?

You'll want max Speed on your Genesect. It needs the speed, especially if you forgo a Choice Scarf. If this is one of the event ones, it should have Shift Gear: boosts attack by one stage, Speed by 2. While Genesect has good mixed attacking stats, I'm not sure if it can actually go a mixed route....though it MIGHT be possible if you have Shift Gear.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    You'll want max Speed on your Genesect. It needs the speed, especially if you forgo a Choice Scarf. If this is one of the event ones, it should have Shift Gear: boosts attack by one stage, Speed by 2. While Genesect has good mixed attacking stats, I'm not sure if it can actually go a mixed route....though it MIGHT be possible if you have Shift Gear.

nope, it's teh 2012 event Genesect (OT Plasma) so no Shift Gear, however, since it has download (an automatic boost to Attack or Sp Att depending on the opponents Def or Sp Def) what you're saying is Rock Polish will accomplish the same thing as Shift Gear then? (and I don't see how it can be anything BUT a mixed attacker based on it's ability. There are tons of pokemon with low Def so Genesect getting a boost to Attack with no physical attack moves is a pretty huge blow to it, as far as I can see)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    nope, it's teh 2012 event Genesect (OT Plasma) so no Shift Gear, however, since it has download (an automatic boost to Attack or Sp Att depending on the opponents Def or Sp Def) what you're saying is Rock Polish will accomplish the same thing as Shift Gear then? (and I don't see how it can be anything BUT a mixed attacker based on it's ability. There are tons of pokemon with low Def so Genesect getting a boost to Attack with no physical attack moves is a pretty huge blow to it, as far as I can see)
    Download giving Genesect an Attack boost isn't that detrimental, as this gives it a stronger U-turn to use:
    -U-turn
    -Ice Beam
    -Bug Buzz/Flamethrower/Thunder
    -Flamethrower/Thunder
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -U-turn
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder
    -Flamethrower/Hidden Power (Fighting)
    Item: Expert Belt

U-turn > X-Scissor on Genesect. It's for scouting purposes (hit, then switch to an appropriate check/counter). If Genesect is up against Heatran, the best course of action is to switch out and let another teammate handle it.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
    Since a RNG Abusing/Exploiting tool for Gen 6 isn't available (yet)?

I was wondering if there's any hints/tricks for farming good IV Xerneas beyond what I am doing currently?

1. I have a party made of Modest Syncronizers (level 90 Mew and level 90 Musharna)
    - To make Xerneas have a 50% chance of being Modest.

2. Mew is fainted in the 1st party spot (not necessary?)

3. and Musharna's speed is 118, so it helps filter out a perfect speed IV Xerneas which is 119.
    - If Musharna moves first, I run away and re-initiate the battle, but if Xerneas moves first, I throw a Masterball and inspect it's Stats during the Lysandre battle and soft reset when it isn't perfect.

After ~250 soft reset and over 500 runaways... so far over the course of an entire day, The closest I've came was a 5 IV Xerneas but had perfect Attack but a deplorable (0-2) IV in HP and a bunch of 4 IV Xerneas that were missing HP, Defense, or Sp. Def.

Is there anything else beyond these 3 steps of what I am doing currently doing to help with this :)?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Download giving Genesect an Attack boost isn't that detrimental, as this gives it a stronger U-turn to use:
    -U-turn
    -Ice Beam
    -Bug Buzz/Flamethrower/Thunder
    -Flamethrower/Thunder
    Item: Choice Scarf

or
    -U-turn
    -Ice Beam
    -Thunder
    -Flamethrower/Hidden Power (Fighting)
    Item: Expert Belt

U-turn > X-Scissor on Genesect. It's for scouting purposes (hit, then switch to an appropriate check/counter). If Genesect is up against Heatran, the best course of action is to switch out and let another teammate handle it.

What if I don't want to switch though? Why don't I simply switch out normally rather than scouting? (if something is strong against a bug move, I already know it's strong against bug moves since I know what types are and aren't weak against bug type moves) and what's the point of only having ONE attack that makes use of the download bonus if I have to switch every time I use it? After all, if I am able to KO an opponent who has a lower Def and the next pokemon that comes out also has a lower defense (coincidentally) then it's Att gets boosted again. If it only has a single phsycial attack that keeps switching out every time it gets used then it's physical attack bonus will simply get reset every time it is used and switches. (and also, I hate movesets that are geared toward a specific single pokemon. there's like 400 pokemon and I don't limit myself to Smogon rules so I'm looking for overall types, not specific single pokemon defenses cause what if they don't have a heatran? ) And if I ONLY have special moves (not counting U-Turn) then again, what's the point of utilizing download if it's only good against pokemon that have a lower Sp Def OR just swtich out every time I want to use the ONE physical attack I have? Wouldn't intentionally limiting the usefulness of Genesect be bad? It would seem like anything with a higher Sp Def would be an easy counter to Genesect since it's Att would get the boost rather than getting either stat boosted and therefore able to deal damage to either type of opponent (those with higher Sp Def OR Def, rather than JUST those with a lower Sp Def) It seems to me, going by your post, a genesect with No Evs in Att getting a paltry boost for it's one single physical attack that it has to swtich every time it wants to use a physical attack wouldn't actually be that usefull at all since it has a lower physical attack that can either never grow more than the one boost OR can get multiple boosts but can never use physical attacks unless you're willing to constantly lose the bonus. I think Rock Polish or Flame Charge looks like a better option after all, since it's geared toward lots of different things the opponent can throw at me, rather than just the one single Heatran they might use. Still debating on full Speed and split the remainder between both attacks, or go all out on both attacks and then rely on the speed boosting moves to cover my speed, however. After all, fast and weak isn't as useful as slower and strong. There's ways around being slow, there's not really anything that can help a weak attacker. (other than the Choice Scarf everyone seems to always suggest for every pokemon ever, which while it does work, you can't use more than 1 item of the same kind in your team, and the main drawback no one ever thinks about is that if the opponent puts out a pokemon strong against the attack you used, then you need to swtich that pokemon out altogether in order to use a new move rather than simply switching attacks, and if Genesect has a couple good physical/special attacks, gets a good boost of speed at the beginning of battle and keeps getting either att or spatt boosted as oponents come out and the switching between types of attacks as long as it can how is that not better than being limited to one single special attack that it needs to switch out every time it wants to use a different attack OR switch out completely if it wants to use it's sole physical attack? it genuinely makes no sense to me.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    What if I don't want to switch though? Why don't I simply switch out normally rather than scouting? (if something is strong against a bug move, I already know it's strong against bug moves since I know what types are and aren't weak against bug type moves) and what's the point of only having ONE attack that makes use of the download bonus if I have to switch every time I use it? After all, if I am able to KO an opponent who has a lower Def and the next pokemon that comes out also has a lower defense (coincidentally) then it's Att gets boosted again. If it only has a single phsycial attack that keeps switching out every time it gets used then it's physical attack bonus will simply get reset every time it is used and switches. (and also, I hate movesets that are geared toward a specific single pokemon. there's like 400 pokemon and I don't limit myself to Smogon rules so I'm looking for overall types, not specific single pokemon defenses cause what if they don't have a heatran? ) And if I ONLY have special moves (not counting U-Turn) then again, what's the point of utilizing download if it's only good against pokemon that have a lower Sp Def OR just swtich out every time I want to use the ONE physical attack I have? Wouldn't intentionally limiting the usefulness of Genesect be bad? It would seem like anything with a higher Sp Def would be an easy counter to Genesect since it's Att would get the boost rather than getting either stat boosted and therefore able to deal damage to either type of opponent (those with higher Sp Def OR Def, rather than JUST those with a lower Sp Def) It seems to me, going by your post, a genesect with No Evs in Att getting a paltry boost for it's one single physical attack that it has to swtich every time it wants to use a physical attack wouldn't actually be that usefull at all since it has a lower physical attack that can either never grow more than the one boost OR can get multiple boosts but can never use physical attacks unless you're willing to constantly lose the bonus. I think Rock Polish or Flame Charge looks like a better option after all, since it's geared toward lots of different things the opponent can throw at me, rather than just the one single Heatran they might use. Still debating on full Speed and split the remainder between both attacks, or go all out on both attacks and then rely on the speed boosting moves to cover my speed, however. After all, fast and weak isn't as useful as slower and strong. There's ways around being slow, there's not really anything that can help a weak attacker. (other than the Choice Scarf everyone seems to always suggest for every pokemon ever, which while it does work, you can't use more than 1 item of the same kind in your team, and the main drawback no one ever thinks about is that if the opponent puts out a pokemon strong against the attack you used, then you need to swtich that pokemon out altogether in order to use a new move rather than simply switching attacks, and if Genesect has a couple good physical/special attacks, gets a good boost of speed at the beginning of battle and keeps getting either att or spatt boosted as oponents come out and the switching between types of attacks as long as it can how is that not better than being limited to one single special attack that it needs to switch out every time it wants to use a different attack OR switch out completely if it wants to use it's sole physical attack? it genuinely makes no sense to me.
    People prefer switching with U-turn (or Volt Switch) because it causes damage before the user is taken out of battle. Fast Pokemon use it to scout and bring in an appropriate teammate, while slow Pokemon use it to bring in a frail teammate in battle unscathed, unlike "dry switching", when the new Pokemon will be forced to take a hit. And trust me, the chip damage that U-turn causes helps.

The reason why specially-based Genesect runs U-turn as a sole physical attack is to inflict damage on the special walls it struggles with before letting a teammate deal with it. And it's generally not a good idea to keep Genesect in on Heatran, Blissey or the like because if it stays in, it might get crippled or taken out.

And I wouldn't use Rock Polish or Flame Charge with Genesect; it takes up a valuable turn of attacking, and Genesect is better off using the specially-based Choice Scarf set I posted for the Speed boost right off the bat.

There are also some cases when multiples of the same item can be applied in Wi-Fi battles. Just saying.

And it may be a better idea to minimize the walls of text in the future. >_>

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Since a RNG Abusing/Exploiting tool for Gen 6 isn't available (yet)?

I was wondering if there's any hints/tricks for farming good IV Xerneas beyond what I am doing currently?

1. I have a party made of Modest Syncronizers (level 90 Mew and level 90 Musharna)
    - To make Xerneas have a 50% chance of being Modest.

2. Mew is fainted in the 1st party spot (not necessary?)

3. and Musharna's speed is 118, so it helps filter out a perfect speed IV Xerneas which is 119.
    - If Musharna moves first, I run away and re-initiate the battle, but if Xerneas moves first, I throw a Masterball and inspect it's Stats during the Lysandre battle and soft reset when it isn't perfect.

After ~250 soft reset and over 500 runaways... so far over the course of an entire day, The closest I've came was a 5 IV Xerneas but had perfect Attack but a deplorable (0-2) IV in HP and a bunch of 4 IV Xerneas that were missing HP, Defense, or Sp. Def.

Is there anything else beyond these 3 steps of what I am doing currently doing to help with this :)?

I don't think that there's anything you can do to make it go faster, unfortunately. :(

It's not necessary to have Mew fainted in the first slot though, since Musharna also has Synchronize and a Modest nature. Just put Musharna in slot one.

XpokeX

I'm a ninja and im..... gone
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    So I have a question,How do i get/breed competitive pokemon that people have(especially competitive shinies) i have never went to the competitive side of pokemon before so does anyone know a guide or could help me on having a competitive poke.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
    So I have a question,How do i get/breed competitive pokemon that people have(especially competitive shinies) i have never went to the competitive side of pokemon before so does anyone know a guide or could help me on having a competitive poke.

EV ♥ has a great breeding guide located /here/.

If you have any specific questions or need more help feel free to ask there or send me a PM/VM. :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Is there any difference between Trick and Switcheroo?
    Also when is it best to use those sort of moves?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023

Nope; there's not much difference as far as I'm aware. It's best to use these moves when you're holding Choice items, such as Scarf, Specs, or Band. This way, you could cripple your opponent up and have them stuck to just one move. :P

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years

Difference is one is Dark and one is Psychic.. So choose wisely, as obviously some Pokemon are immune to psychic/dark.. and then only certain pokemon can learn one or the other.. other than this, they are the same.

Also it's best to use against an opponent in battle who you know will "set up"... for example using a rotom holding a choice item to use trick on a Porygon-Z who you feel will use Nasty Plot, now they are stuck using nastyplot.. or use against a Meowstic who just set up a screen, now they are stuck only using the same move.. so in other words trick/switcharoo can be useful in making your opponent's set-up Pokemon useless.

It can also be useful for passing an item like the Toxic Orb to your opponent to poison them while at the same time you steal their held item (hopefully some leftovers or something useful).

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back