• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Camouflage is not very useful in terms of competitiveness... all it does is change your type depending on the place you're battling. If I were you, I would dump this move and have it replaced with a damage-dealing attack such as either U-Turn, Rock Slide, Quick Attack, Power-Up Punch, or maybe even Aerial Ace. :p

I beg to differ on the last four attacks you mentioned. Greninja shouldn't specialize in physical moves, since its Attack isn't exactly the best. The only physical move it should use ever is U-turn, with the rest of the slots filled in by Special moves, with Spikes/Toxic Spikes on occasion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Camouflage is not very useful in terms of competitiveness... all it does is change your type depending on the place you're battling. If I were you, I would dump this move and have it replaced with a damage-dealing attack such as either U-Turn, Rock Slide, Quick Attack, Power-Up Punch, or maybe even Aerial Ace. :p

thank you! In that case I would likely use Water Shuriken with King's Rock. Terrible damage, but up to 5 chances to flinch (I never would have thought of that if it wasn't for this board!)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    thank you! In that case I would likely use Water Shuriken with King's Rock. Terrible damage, but up to 5 chances to flinch (I never would have thought of that if it wasn't for this board!)

Water Shuriken isn't worth it. Greninja is fast enough already, so it has no need for priority. Relying on flinch is a terrible strategy, unless you're using Togekiss, Jirachi or Dunsparce.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    How would I go about giving my Chimchar Iron Fist?
    I'm using a Hitmonchan with Thunder Punch with Iron Fist, with a female Chimchar, but so far no luck.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I'm using a Hitmonchan with Thunder Punch with Iron Fist, with a female Chimchar, but so far no luck.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    You're doing it wrong. Chimchar itself has to have Iron Fist. Shell Armor Turtwig, Iron Fist Chimchar and Defiant Piplup were released in Gen V, as Global Link events or a download with Black 2/White 2.

See this for more info
    It's possible that iron fist is not in Chimchar's available egg moves.

Iron Fist is Chimchar's DW ability.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2014
    Got a question for the breeding pros.

I'm trying to hatch a shiny charmander but can't figure out how I'm going to do it so that the egg itself hatches in a unique ball. @_@??

Any tips or ideas?

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    So does this mean I can't have have an Iron Fist Chimchar?
    Typical... No love for the new players wanting to enter the competative community :(
    (Drunk as I am typing this, sorry)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So does this mean I can't have have an Iron Fist Chimchar?
    Typical... No love for the new players wanting to enter the competative community :(
    (Drunk as I am typing this, sorry)

You could just head over to the Trade Plaza and ask for a Chimchar with Iron Fist. Somebody'll probably have one for you, provided you have something semi-decent to trade. Or you could look on the GTS. Sometimes people have good stuff on the GTS and will tell you what's good about the Pokemon they're offering (just be careful).

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
    Got a question for the breeding pros.

I'm trying to hatch a shiny charmander but can't figure out how I'm going to do it so that the egg itself hatches in a unique ball. @_@??

Any tips or ideas?
    From Serebii:

With breeding in the past, whenever you had an egg, the Pokémon that hatched from it would always be within a standard Poké Ball. However, as of Pokémon X & Y, this all changes. From now on, the Poké Ball the egg hatches in is now solely based upon the ball that the mother was caught in. So, if you're breeding a female Pokémon you caught in a Dusk Ball with a male Pokémon in a Cherish Ball, the baby will always be inside the Dusk Ball. This won't work with the Master Ball, however.

So you need to catch a female in the pokeball you wish the child to have.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I have a couple of logistical questions about using multiple X/Y games with a particular 3DS:

1. Would using two copies of the same game (e.g., 2X or 2Y) on the same 3DS cause any problems? In this case, both are cartridge versions, so I'm assuming all of the relevant data should be on the cartridges themselves, but I don't know if it would mess up settings, online stuff, etc.

2. How does using multiple X/Y games (e.g., one X and one Y, or multiple copies of the same game) affect PSS settings, friend safari lists, etc.? For example, if I've been online at the same time as other people on my friend list in X and have unlocked all of their safari Pokémon, will I need to be online at the same time with them on Y to give my Y game access to their safari Pokémon as well? Will they lose access to my third safari Pokémon (unlocked for them by seeing me online in my completed X game) if they see me online on the same 3DS from an incomplete Y file?

3. Are there any other issues (or any issues at all) that I should be aware of that could result from using multiple Pokémon games online from the same 3DS?

4. What are the consequences of switching between two 3DSs? When I accidently did it with X back in October, I seem to recall issues with berry growth, store stocks, etc., for a couple of days, but are there any longer-term/more significant side-effects that I'm forgetting?

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2015
    A bit of a problem

I cant play Pokemon Y because my SD card is stuck on write protection and ive tryed writing to it with a computer and it worked but I still cant seem to get write protection off so i can play

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2014
    Hey everybody, I remember getting tons of PokeMiles (which were swiftly turned into Rare Candies) from doing the Wonder Trade. I Wonder Traded for a few hours on Christmas, and when I went to the PokeMiles vendor guy today I had 1 mile... Did they change/fix/patch this when 1.2 came out? And yes, many of the people that I ran across were in different countries & regions than mine. Thanks in advance! :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2014
    EV's and in- game team viability.

I have a question about EV training. Now that pokemon x and Y has introduced the super-training minigames; do pokemon still recieve EV's in the regular overgame world ( random, and cpu trainer battles) even if they aren't directly used? Also how viable would a in-game team be in a random wi-fi competitive matchup?

Years
    Hey everybody, I remember getting tons of PokeMiles (which were swiftly turned into Rare Candies) from doing the Wonder Trade. I Wonder Traded for a few hours on Christmas, and when I went to the PokeMiles vendor guy today I had 1 mile... Did they change/fix/patch this when 1.2 came out? And yes, many of the people that I ran across were in different countries & regions than mine. Thanks in advance! :)
    Did you use GameSync? If you use it, your miles will be transferred to your PGL account by default but you can change this setting.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Yep, they do still receive Evs in the normal overworld random encounter method, so you can choose which way you want to EV train. And even if you gain Evs through random battles, the bar on the super training screen still fills up! Although I've heard rumours (and I have no way of proving/disproving) that when you EV train through battles, you can still get 255 Evs per stat (so if you're not paying attention you could miss out on the 252/252/6 EV spread thing) but when you do it through Super Training the stats are capped at 252 Evs (which that last part I can verify)

Now as for the viability of an in game team, it has just as much chance as every other team. Except for a few settings you can make, the online battling is not nearly as restrictive as comptetitive pokemon battle sites are. You can fight anyone from a team full of wurmples headed by a 5 year old to a competitive Smogon team headed by a 50 year old who's played every pokemon game ever (although if the latter, apparently a Surskit with Double Team can defeat it since Smogon players have no idea how to counter Double Team, lol! ;-) ) so some youll do great in, some you'll do bad in, some you'll be slaughtered and some you'll do the slaughtering. It's all up to chance so an in game team is just as viable as a competitive team because you could be paired with ANYONE. Obviously a competitive team would do much better, but don't let that dissuade you from battling.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back