• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Is this site accurate? Going by adjacent targets, if I put a Greninja in the center of a triple battle, or in either slot in a double battle, does water shuriken hit EVERYTHING on the battle field? It would be great if it hit the entire opposing team, not so much my own team mates UNLESS ofcourse they had Water Absorb or something, but still. Has anyone used this move in double or triple battles to find out? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Water_Shuriken_(move)

Because if so, then this makes this move a lot better (yes, I know there are better water moves, the point isn't always to bull in a china shop your way through everything all the time) put King's Rock on it, and have your own team mates protected some how (Water absorb on one, inner focus on the other, a defensive move, whatever) and it's hitting the entire opposing team for 2 - 5 times each having a 10% chance of flinching each time they are hit, thus giving your two team mates potentially a free turn to gang up on someone. can anyone confirm if water shuriken does hit everything adjacent, or is it just a 1 on 1 move? thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Is this site accurate? Going by adjacent targets, if I put a Greninja in the center of a triple battle, or in either slot in a double battle, does water shuriken hit EVERYTHING on the battle field? It would be great if it hit the entire opposing team, not so much my own team mates UNLESS ofcourse they had Water Absorb or something, but still. Has anyone used this move in double or triple battles to find out? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Water_Shuriken_(move)

Because if so, then this makes this move a lot better (yes, I know there are better water moves, the point isn't always to bull in a china shop your way through everything all the time) put King's Rock on it, and have your own team mates protected some how (Water absorb on one, inner focus on the other, a defensive move, whatever) and it's hitting the entire opposing team for 2 - 5 times each having a 10% chance of flinching each time they are hit, thus giving your two team mates potentially a free turn to gang up on someone. can anyone confirm if water shuriken does hit everything adjacent, or is it just a 1 on 1 move? thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

You're missing the point. The highlighted parts show the possible targets of Water Shuriken; in this case, it hits any 1 target adjacent to the user. Here's what it says word for word:
    May affect anyone adjacent to the user

This includes opponents and allies.

Here's the target range for Rock Slide, a spread move:
    Affects all adjacent foes, but not allies

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    You're missing the point. The highlighted parts show the possible targets of Water Shuriken; in this case, it hits any 1 target adjacent to the user. Here's what it says word for word:

This includes opponents and allies.

Here's the target range for Rock Slide, a spread move:

So it could randomly hit any 1 of the five other characters on screen? Has anyone actually tried this beyond just reading the description because that seems weird to have a move could just randomly hit your team mate 5 times.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    So it could randomly hit any 1 of the five other characters on screen? Has anyone actually tried this beyond just reading the description because that seems weird to have a move could just randomly hit your team mate 5 times.

No. Its a selection. You are capable of selecting any of those slots as attack targets. Water Shuriken is a single target move, like all moves like it, they "MAY" hit any adjacent Pokemon. So if your Pokemon is on the right it can only hit the opponent straight across or in the center as well as your partner who is in the center. If the Pokemon itself is in the center then it can hit any Pokemon on the field as they are all adjacent to it. It has the basic targeting mechanic for multi battles.

Its not like Rock Slide who hits all adjacent foes, but not allies. Its not like Earthquake who hits all adjacent Pokemon.

Tackle has the same May hit adjacent Pokemon as Water Shuriken.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tackle

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    No. Its a selection. You are capable of selecting any of those slots as attack targets. Water Shuriken is a single target move, like all moves like it, they "MAY" hit any adjacent Pokemon. So if your Pokemon is on the right it can only hit the opponent straight across or in the center as well as your partner who is in the center. If the Pokemon itself is in the center then it can hit any Pokemon on the field as they are all adjacent to it. It has the basic targeting mechanic for multi battles.

Its not like Rock Slide who hits all adjacent foes, but not allies. Its not like Earthquake who hits all adjacent Pokemon.

Tackle has the same May hit adjacent Pokemon as Water Shuriken.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tackle

OOOHHH!! Okay, I get it now! Thanks for clearing that up! Yeah, that makes way more sense now.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    How do i let baby smeargle inherit the mother's happy hour move? D:

Happy Hour cannot be inherited by any Pokemon. Its event exclusive. So no Pokemon can learn it through breeding. Smeargle can still sketch the move from its mother, but that's it. There is no other way to get Happy Hour, Hold Back, and Celebrate other than their events.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    How do i let baby smeargle inherit the mother's happy hour move? D:

Can't, baby smeargle can't learn any moves from it's parents HOWEVER unless there's something weird about the move, you should be able to take both into a double battle, have the parent use the move then have the baby sketch it and then you should be good. If it works, any chance I could trade you something for one? Even if it's just to borrow so I can sketch the move onto one of my Smeargles.

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
    Years
    so I love x and y... but I got questions...

So I'm wondering when there will be event pokemon? Also cause some pokemon are not found in-game... I would like to get my hands on a totodile, chicorita, and cindaquil... and a snivy :) I see that people already have them and i'd like to know how? And if I could borrow some so I can breed them? (I'm probably in the wrong place to adk for all this xD)

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    Celebi was gonna be available if you bought Poke bank between release and i think sometime in fall 2014. However, since it's been taken off eshop for everybody but japan, that may no longer be true.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I'm wondering when there will be event pokemon? Also cause some pokemon are not found in-game... I would like to get my hands on a totodile, chicorita, and cindaquil... and a snivy :) I see that people already have them and i'd like to know how? And if I could borrow some so I can breed them? (I'm probably in the wrong place to adk for all this xD)

Pokebank got released in Japan and Korea at Christmas briefly, so literally EVERY pokemon is now available on the GTS and Wonder trade. All the normal pokemon have been bred and are being distributed by the kind people that have Pokebank, so whatever you want, just go looking for it. :-D If you have some good stuff, we can work out a trade (as I have al the starters, including Totodile, Chikorita, Cyndauil and Snivy, so PM me and lets work something out. Hint: I'm looking for cool hold items at the moment ;-)

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Why does chaining increase the chances of finding a shiny?

RE: Chaining to increase the chance of finding a shiny

I don't understand this. Is there some mathematical reason why encountering a chain of the same species should increase your chances? Isn't the chance of a Pokemon being shiny always the same?

Thanks.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't understand this. Is there some mathematical reason why encountering a chain of the same species should increase your chances? Isn't the chance of a Pokemon being shiny always the same?

Thanks.

Chaining, through Radar and Fishing, actually lowers the rate to a more worthwhile % with each success. A reason some believe that Safari Shinies are easy to find also is because of lack of Pokemon in certain areas.

If a specific list is generated for said area, the inner workings assign specific data to be read. When you encounter a Pokemon that data pulls an image and other data related to it for the Pokemon in question. When you have less Pokemon in an area, there is less random data to pull from. with less data to pull the chances of you finding what you want, say a Shiny, become higher with success.

Lowering the Random factor to one specific Pokemon raises the chance of a Shiny as the data being pulled is now just for that Pokemon. The only data it pulls is the Pokemon, level, attacks, Background, IV data, Nature Data, Characteristic Data, and Shiny value (guessing based on how the egg works, wild Pokemon get the same value set and if they match its a Shiny)

It just steadily decreases the amount of data that has to be generated.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Chaining, through Radar and Fishing, actually lowers the rate to a more worthwhile % with each success. A reason some believe that Safari Shinies are easy to find also is because of lack of Pokemon in certain areas.

If a specific list is generated for said area, the inner workings assign specific data to be read. When you encounter a Pokemon that data pulls an image and other data related to it for the Pokemon in question. When you have less Pokemon in an area, there is less random data to pull from. with less data to pull the chances of you finding what you want, say a Shiny, become higher with success.

Lowering the Random factor to one specific Pokemon raises the chance of a Shiny as the data being pulled is now just for that Pokemon. The only data it pulls is the Pokemon, level, attacks, Background, IV data, Nature Data, Characteristic Data, and Shiny value (guessing based on how the egg works, wild Pokemon get the same value set and if they match its a Shiny)

It just steadily decreases the amount of data that has to be generated.

So the chance of finding a shiny doesn't actually increase with EACH successive catch then, right? That's how I understood it to work, which is what didn't make sense to me.

But even still, if the data being pulled includes IVs, aren't those still generated randomly? Isn't it still the same percentage chance of finding a shiny each time, since previous encounters don't influence successive encounters?

Sort of like how people think landing on red for so long in roulette means that black is "due" to come up, despite being a completely separate chance each time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So the chance of finding a shiny doesn't actually increase with EACH successive catch then, right? That's how I understood it to work, which is what didn't make sense to me.

But even still, if the data being pulled includes IVs, aren't those still generated randomly? Isn't it still the same percentage chance of finding a shiny each time, since previous encounters don't influence successive encounters?

Sort of like how people think landing on red for so long in roulette means that black is "due" to come up, despite being a completely separate chance each time.

I think I see your confusion, just going out and catching the same kind of pokemon over and over or fishing the same kind of pokemon over and over doesn't increase the rate of a shiny, it's SPECIFICALLY when you are using the Pokeradar on land or the Super Rod in the water that THAT is what causes the increase in ratio of shiny pokemon appearing if you keep running into the same type. The Pokeradar shakes multiple clumps of grass and you need to get to the biggest clump before another random encounter messes up your chain, or you need to fish using the super rod without moving from your spot. It's not just catching pokemon than happen to be the same, you need a specific item in order to set that chain into motion.

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
    Chaining increases your chances, because the chance of generating a shiny patch becomes much bigger than the chance of getting a random shiny over time. Stepping into a shiny patch is what causes the next Pokémon to be generated as a shiny, not the random chance a normal shiny encounter has. They are seperate chances, and the chance to generate a shiny patch increases as the length of the chain increases, and it's speculated the upbeat music also increases this chance.

It's different from horde battles, which also increase the chance you get a shiny, because you battle 5 Pokémon per encounter. So a horde battle is 5 times as likely to have a shiny Pokémon than a normal battle, just because there's 5 Pokémon and each of those Pokémon has the same chance to be a shiny. Normally your chance to encounter a shiny is 1/4096, but in a horde, this is 5/4096.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    If a Pokemon with Protean uses Hidden Power, do they turn into a normal type or the type the attack that certain Pokemon's Hidden Power is?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If a Pokemon with Protean uses Hidden Power, do they turn into a normal type or the type the attack that certain Pokemon's Hidden Power is?

According to a source, you turn into the actual type of your Hidden Power and not normal. Well, I guess it could be normal, but it all depends on your IVs. d:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back