• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XY Ash vs Paul

Who's Better?

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
Same way Hawlucha beat a Mega
Same way Pikachu beat a Mega

Also Brandon used all three Regis against Paul. He only used one in each of his battles against Ash.

And Paul didn't take down even one of those Regis. If he can't beat them then I don't see him beating megas.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Just my two cents regarding Paul losing to a BF brain, it seems you're devaluing how strong they are. If i remember correctly, they are between Gym Leaders and E4 members in strength and Brandon in particular is on par with E4 in my opinion. I mean it took Ash 3 (4?) times to beat him. So I'm afraid I dont see the point in saying Paul lost to Brandon when comparing XY Ash and Paul. A large majority of trainers lose E4 and equivalent trainers all the time, so it'd make sense for Paul to lose to Brandon. So using that argument is pointless considering XY Ash hasn't beaten anyone of that caliber either.

Now I concede that Alain is a strong trainer and a close loss to him is nothing to be ashamed about, but he is not an E4 caliber trainer. His other Pokemon are fairly disappointing when looking at how strong his ZardX is, I would've liked to see his other Pokemon be more impressive. So in the end the two are pretty much even when it comes to most impressive wins.

So it comes down to team makeup, battling abilities of said Pokemon and the strategic ability of the trainers. Now I voted for XY Ash but the battle could absolutely go either way. One thing I like about Ash's team is that his team, in comparison to DP Ash, sets up nicer against Paul's team. Toxic Spikes no longer cripples the team, he's got more special attackers that will help with keeping Paul's physical attackers at bay a bit more (not to mention his flying types making it hard for the majority of Paul's team to hit them) and honestly, I like Goodra in a battle against Electivire IF it happens which takes out Paul's biggest threat to Ash.

Like I said, the battle is too close to definitively call though because Paul is one of the best strategists we've met in the anime and XY Ash is arguably the best version of Ash when it comes to pure battling ability, though his fly by the seat of his pants style can be a bit hit or miss in the bigger battles.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
Just my two cents regarding Paul losing to a BF brain, it seems you're devaluing how strong they are. If i remember correctly, they are between Gym Leaders and E4 members in strength and Brandon in particular is on par with E4 in my opinion. I mean it took Ash 3 (4?) times to beat him. So I'm afraid I dont see the point in saying Paul lost to Brandon when comparing XY Ash and Paul. A large majority of trainers lose E4 and equivalent trainers all the time, so it'd make sense for Paul to lose to Brandon. So using that argument is pointless considering XY Ash hasn't beaten anyone of that caliber either.

Now I concede that Alain is a strong trainer and a close loss to him is nothing to be ashamed about, but he is not an E4 caliber trainer. His other Pokemon are fairly disappointing when looking at how strong his ZardX is, I would've liked to see his other Pokemon be more impressive. So in the end the two are pretty much even when it comes to most impressive wins.

So it comes down to team makeup, battling abilities of said Pokemon and the strategic ability of the trainers. Now I voted for XY Ash but the battle could absolutely go either way. One thing I like about Ash's team is that his team, in comparison to DP Ash, sets up nicer against Paul's team. Toxic Spikes no longer cripples the team, he's got more special attackers that will help with keeping Paul's physical attackers at bay a bit more (not to mention his flying types making it hard for the majority of Paul's team to hit them) and honestly, I like Goodra in a battle against Electivire IF it happens which takes out Paul's biggest threat to Ash.

Like I said, the battle is too close to definitively call though because Paul is one of the best strategists we've met in the anime and XY Ash is arguably the best version of Ash when it comes to pure battling ability, though his fly by the seat of his pants style can be a bit hit or miss in the bigger battles.

How is Alain not E4 level he beaten an E4 ace mega

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
How is Alain not E4 level he beaten an E4 ace mega

Beating one of their Pokemon does not automatically put you on the same level. As has been pointed out already, with discussion of course, its a reasonable assumption that Ash-Gren was going to beat Diantha's M Gardevoir. Does that mean Ash is just as strong as the champion and thus, stronger than the E4? Of course not, an E4 and Champion are not decided solely based on one battle or Pokemon. Now Zard X is absolutely powerful, easily E4 caliber but the rest of his team were underwhelming when compared to other E4 caliber trainers such as Brandon, Cynthia, Alder, Flint, etc...

Like i said Alain is definitely strong but when you take his entire team into consideration and not just Zard X, he isn't as strong as an E4 member.

I also apologize for going off topic, since I've already detailed my opinion above in regards to Paul and XY Ash, I'll leave it at that. If you'd like to discuss further about Alain, you are more than welcome to VM or PM me.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Ok Paul is not that strong he got beaten by a BF member how is he beating megas if he doesn't have one. And Ash-Greninja took SE attacks from pokemon he's weak too but was still standing.

XY Ash did not beat a Battle Frontier either. Only DP Ash did. Paul can be beaten by DP Ash but not by XY Ash.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
XY Ash did not beat a Battle Frontier either. Only DP Ash did. Paul can be beaten by DP Ash but not by XY Ash.

All the Ash's are the same character they all share feats. Why do you think they don't and Paul didn't beat a Battle Frontier either.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
All the Ash's are the same character they all share feats. Why do you think they don't and Paul didn't beat a Battle Frontier either.

Paul does not need to defeat the Battle Frontier. He still proves that he is a strong opponent. I will never see XY Ash defeat him. That version of Ash who decides to release his only fully evolved water starter and pseudo legendary does not deserve to win against Paul.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
Paul does not need to defeat the Battle Frontier. He still proves that he is a strong opponent. I will never see XY Ash defeat him. That version of Ash who decides to release his only fully evolved water starter and pseudo legendary does not deserve to win against Paul.

Do you even know why he did that? Goodra had to protect his home and Greninja had to help Zygarde thats why he did that and there still his pokemon he can call for them if he need to.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Do you even know why he did that? Goodra had to protect his home and Greninja had to help Zygarde thats why he did that and there still his pokemon he can call for them if he need to.
Goodra's home does not need protecting. Neither does Kalos. There is no excuse for releasing them. They are released pokemon. They can't be called back.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
Goodra's home does not need protecting. Neither does Kalos. There is no excuse for releasing them. They are released pokemon. They can't be called back.

Do you not care how the pokemon feels? And Ash still has there pokeballs look at the first ep of sun and moon and you will see them.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Do you not care how the pokemon feels? And Ash still has there pokeballs look at the first ep of sun and moon and you will see them.
Having pokeballs does not mean a thing. Ash just ditched two of his best pokemon in kalos. He didn't even caught more than five. He had a full team and they decide to get rid of two of them.

At this point, XY Ash is no where near Paul's status as a trainer.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
Having pokeballs does not mean a thing. Ash just ditched two of his best pokemon in kalos. He didn't even caught more than five. He had a full team and they decide to get rid of two of them.

At this point, XY Ash is no where near Paul's status as a trainer.

Goodra can come back anytime Ash needs him and Greninja will come back after he's done helping Zygarde. Its the same as Charizard and Gliscor, Ash left them somewhere for a reason and they came back when he needed them and he still had there pokeballs.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Goodra can come back anytime Ash needs him and Greninja will come back after he's done helping Zygarde. Its the same as Charizard and Gliscor, Ash left them somewhere for a reason and they came back when he needed them and he still had there pokeballs.
No they can not. Both are stuck in kalos. One is in the swamp which a wild pokemon area. Greninja is listed as released by sites. Neither are returning.

Anyway i am not changing my mind on Paul. I still think he can win against XY Ash.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
No they can not. Both are stuck in kalos. One is in the swamp which a wild pokemon area. Greninja is listed as released by sites. Neither are returning.

Anyway i am not changing my mind on Paul. I still think he can win against XY Ash.

Goorda and Greninja can come back with the help of Professor Sycamore. And we are using there league teams why are you talking about this? And I still think that XY Ash can win.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Goorda and Greninja can come back with the help of Professor Sycamore. And we are using there league teams why are you talking about this? And I still think that XY Ash can win.
XY Ash couldn't win even if Paul had only one pokemon on him. Paul would destroy XY Ash's team in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 8, 2017
I have come to accept that you're a troll. None of your rebuttals make sense at all.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
XY Ash couldn't win even if Paul had only one pokemon on him. Paul would destroy XY Ash's team in my opinion.

I don't know if your a troll or a Paul fanboy. XY Ash is stronger and Paul is not winning with only one pokemon he's not Alain. Stop underselling XY Ash he's stronger than you think and if you don't see this then go look at XY Ash's gym battles and tell me he's weaker.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
I don't know if your a troll or a Paul fanboy. XY Ash is stronger and Paul is not winning with only one pokemon he's not Alain. Stop underselling XY Ash he's stronger than you think and if you don't see this then go look at XY Ash's gym battles and tell me he's weaker.
I am going to ignore that rude remark. Sorry but XY Ash is not gonna cut it for me. Paul wins against him every time. My opinion.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 27, 2024
I am going to ignore that rude remark. Sorry but XY Ash is not gonna cut it for me. Paul wins against him every time. My opinion.

Give me one feat ONE feat Paul has thats says that hes stronger than XY Ash. And for the having a strong team of pokemon thing a lot of strong trainers have that as well. Because of what I saw nothing Paul did in DP makes him stronger than XY Ash.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Give my one feat ONE feat Paul has thats says that hes stronger than XY Ash. And for the having a strong team of pokemon thing a lot of strong trainers have that as well. Because of what I saw nothing Paul did in DP makes him stronger than XY Ash.

Again it is my opinion that Paul is stronger. You don't have to agree with it. But do not try and change my opinion. Agree to disagree.

Back