• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XY OU Team Help Please!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2015
    I made this team fairly quickly and it's been doing relatively okay considering I still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to making a team (you be the judge if I'm getting better or not).

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Thunder Punch
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake

I lead off with this. 1 Dragon Dance and then he's all good to go. I normally just leave him out to wreak havoc until he either gets badly walled or knocked out.

Greninja @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Spikes
    - Ice Beam
    - U-turn

This was the number one Pokemon I wanted to use on the team. Protean + his awesome design are just so cool.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Brave Bird
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost

Excellent revenge killer. I've actually been able to come in on Stealth Rock, Roost, and then play normally with this thing. Not necessarily the most efficient thing to do, but it's nice to know if that Donphan dies, he can still come in without being completely disadvantaged.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Power Whip
    - Protect
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed

Not sure how much I wanna use this guy, but he's been doing better than my other options I guess.

Donphan @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Rapid Spin
    - Knock Off

Knock Off is awesome. Especially when Super Effective. I needed a spinner and I chose Donphan.

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 SDef / 44 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Air Slash
    - Thunder Wave
    - Roost

Love this thing. Paraflinching is always fun and it's Special Bulk is pretty admirable.

And I still have no idea how to make effective descriptions because I honestly just assume that you guys will know these guys' roles better than I do.

Thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2015
    I think you could consider replacing some of your leftovers with some other items.
    Here's some options to consider. Of course if you still prefer leftovers, you can't go wrong with it.

Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn
    Fairly self explanatory, makes those physical attackers tear themselves up more.

Assault Vest on Donphan, this is something I've seen a bit, since right now all of Donphans sets basically use all attacking moves, Assault vest can let it take a special hit or too.

More aggressive item on Talonflame. Maybe a Life Orb, since you're running Roost?
    Not sure but feel like leftovers is a bit of a passive item for a revenge killer.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Your formatting is fine. That's actually the standard way to write your teams sets.

Talonflame should use a different item. Since it has Roost, Leftovers isn't all that necessary. Not only that, but its base attack is rather average: only 82, iirc. So it still needs a boost to make sure it kills stuff. Like Swil said, Life Orb is probably the best option. Also, Talonflame doesn't have to use 252 Speed EVs; its base speed is very high (126) and it has Gale Wings, so Brave Bird usually goes first anyway. You can take some of the Speed EVs and put them into HP, so it can last a bit longer.

One other thing: Replace Dragonite's Outrage with Dragon Claw. Outrage is kinda risky now with all the Fairies running about. Dragon Claw should still do enough damage with a Dragon Dance.

And paraflinch Togekiss is the ****. I use one too, and its so much fun.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    To add, here's a better Talonflame spread, since Gale Wings gives priority to its Flying moves and those slower than it can be targeted by Flare Blitz instead: 48 HP/252 Atk/208 Spe lets it outspeed Timid/Jolly base 120 Speed Pokemon.

Ice Shard is weak on Donphan, especially without Attack investment and STAB. Just putting that out there.

I wouldn't use Power Whip and Protect at once on Ferrothorn. Either use Gyro Ball or Thunder Wave over either move (though you need to use a Relaxed nature if you opt for Gyro Ball).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2015
    Thanks!

I don't understand your reasoning for Ferrothorn, Platinum. Could you please elaborate?

Back