• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

y does every one think pokemon is dorky

usami

biohazard
    Years
    Lol at my school, everyone will make fun of you so I keep it a secret. Btw my sis is a girl who likes it and her friend does too. :P I guess the anime made pokemon seem gay but the game rocks and it's fun. Don't listen to those losers. They're just jealous cause they could never get a Mew in R/B.
    TheRazor375, as it states in the rules, do not use gay in a derogatory manor. Thanks.

Thank you all for ur opinions
    Ash_Love, please add a little bit more to your posts in the future. ^^;

Ash_Love

Arcanine / Growlithe Collector
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2008
    Everyone at my school knows that I like pokemon. I will openly atmit i do. Some of the friends I have still play the games but hate the series. I still watch the series and play the games but the tv shows are starting to go down hill. Not many girls like it but there are a few that do. I know that other people like it but don't want to admit they do which really annoys me.
    My old girlfriend always madew comments about me liking it but when i took my GBA and pokemon round there for her little brother to play. It was acctually her that wanted to play it.

tee hee yea

i always play with the 9 year old kids at church
    they help me out alot

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    I think people think it's dorky because it's something pretty much all of us played in our childhood.

I got a friend who still plays (and I need to pay him a visit for the 32 underground visits. ;D), and we talk about it sometimes, we don't care what people think.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I am trying to get my 5 year old cousin to start watching and playing it so he can start a whole new generaion of pokemon fans.
    That would be good because then I will have lots of new people to play against and hopefully someone can get good enough to beat my 100% record.

Ash_Love

Arcanine / Growlithe Collector
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2008
    I think people think it's dorky because it's something pretty much all of us played in our childhood.

I got a friend who still plays (and I need to pay him a visit for the 32 underground visits. ;D), and we talk about it sometimes, we don't care what people think.

way to go

i dont care what ppl think either

Raichu Guardian

I blame the schools
    Years
    I'm 16 and I play pokemon basically every free block I get in my school and people really don't care. Besides they actually try to understand all the stuff now. And besides my friends and myself have our little table where we actually get into debates about Pokemon and people can hear it all around. o.o

SilverDragon

--Anime Fan--
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2009
    I dont care what other people's thought are about pokemon, they cant tell you what your supposed to like or dislike anyways.

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    I've been liking Pokemon ever since I was a child. I remember when I was in pre-school, everyone loved Pokemon and I mean love it. They all hate it now because they want to grow up fast and become adults. They all think Pokemon is old and is for children. In my opinion, Pokemon is right for everyone, young and old.

:)

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2008
    I agree that it's pretty odd when people start criticizing Pokemon and how it's lame or etc when they know the names. What disturbs me in some cases is that either people slander it or pick it up as a fad. Around my school, I see people who wouldn't even touch Pokemon with a ten foot pole, going out and playing it again, calling Hoot-Hoots, "Ho Hos".

Years
    im 21 and i still play it. i sit on the bus and play it, i go to work on my days off to get a lift to my mates and sit playing it in the staffroom whilst im waiting and ive just convinced my 26 year old mate to buy a ds with pokemon diamond.

also my sister is 11 this july and im gonna buy her a copy for her birthday since she loves anything like that.

i was never part of the "cool" gang in school. i listened to rock music and played pokemon rather than smoking behind the bikeshed and fighting. i used to just ignore the comments made by chavs and jocks. the only reason they do it is because they've got nothing better to do with their sad lives other than start fights and pick on people.

at the end of the day, im the one with a career in catering and they've all ended up on benefits or in jail. i guess i won in the end! :)

Years
    wild i liek mudkipz 4chan used insult.
    it's not very effective.
    moderator used ban.
    it's super effective!
    wild i liek mudkipz 4chan fainted.
    moderator gained 1024 exp. points.
    moderator grew to lv.79.

Years
    Because of the American dub. It obviously tried to start appealing to kids. People think it's "dorky" because most of them haven't played the games, and the clever people generally think it's more of a girl game.

I know loads of people who like it. People who are too scared to say that they like it obviously aren't a true fan and are cowards.

PikaRom

The Punk Nerd
    Years
    I would say that people think Pokémon is dorky because it's something they played and watched in their childhood. Others say that I should've grown out of Pokémon a few years ago, which isn't happening. It's why I hang around with people who say, "It doesn't matter, it's just a TV show/video game. I'd also blame 4Kids's way of presenting it to the public (one of the wonderful reasons why I hate 4Kids down to their core). It's sort of how Gundam was ruined, except that it wasn't just novelty and stuff, it was more like how people reject how "kiddy-ish" Pokémon looks. In Japan, it was designed for pre-teens to young adults (11-23 or something like that) while after 4Kids screwed it over, it made it look as if it was designed for 5-year olds. I almost never watch an American episode of Pokémon anymore, I watch Japanese versions (thankfully, I can understand Japanese just fine, a lot of the episodes I download aren't subbed).

Seriously though, this question has been asked for the umpteenth time, try searching before posting.

Sparks

MasatoxSatoshi Shipper
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2008
    I'm 18, going on 19 and I am still in love with pokemon. I've been watching the anime*even when it gets awful, which was alot in season 9* and playing the games since they came out. Though once I got into high school people started making fun of me and my groups of friends who were playing R/S during lunch periods. Of course they were all the jock type, and thought they could annoy us. Thing is when asked if they thought it was for little kids then why did they know so much about it, they backed off. People need to put up or shut up nowadays.

Fact is, the anime was murdered and the marketing really hurt the whole series. Trust america to ruin a good thing though. The games are getting alot better which is a good sign. People nowadays just really need to get out of this "manly-man" - "Anime is dorky" phase, especially since we're taking more and more things from asian cultures.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Everything in this world is like Marmite: You either love it or hate it.

That's gonna be my motto now. xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    I share the same hatred for 4Kids believe me. They ruined One Piece and pokemon totally.
    But I think you should be proud of the fact that your a Pokemon fan. This doesn't mean that you must go to the middle of the schoolyard and yell out you just love pokemon but don't be ashamed for it.
    I'm 16 and I am a pokemon fan ever since the first day I saw it on TV, later I became more attached to the games thought.

Back