• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

y does every one think pokemon is dorky

Forest Grovyle

Resident Reptilian Artist
    Years
    Diaboromon, don't make comments like that. It's irrelevant to the topic and serves no purpose except to insult another member. One of our rules here at PC is to respect all members, so I suggest you read them before posting again.

--FG

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    Apart from one friend, I haven't met anyone my age that likes or have liked Pokémon (apart from the anime for a short time). The anime is now crap and I must admit the only remaining good thing about Pokémon are the games. Really, I don't know why guys in my school only like to play Winning Eleven.

Apart from the friend that plays Pókémon, there's only one else that likes video games but doesn't like Pokémon and doesn't have new consoles. I still don't feel like a jerk, I admit I like games and Pokémon even if nobody does. With girls is even worse: they don't like anything.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    America, and most of the Western world for that matter, tend to not think...at all. So they make all of their judgements on everything based on what the Alpha Person of their clique says. When Pokémon came out, most people saw the bright colors, cute faces, and horrible American marketing and thought, "...must be for kids only...", and passed it up, spreading their opinion to the less informed until most of the populus was ingrained with the fact that Pokémon is for kids.

Fortunately, there are still people in the world that not only have the capability to think on their own, but practice it everyday. I'm personally glad I fall into that category, and a good chunk of the PC populus should be proud of themselves too for sharing this trait wit hme.

Wolfius

Incubus Obsessed...
    Years
    No one I know plays Pokemon; and everyone I know would ridicule someone that plays Pokemon in my high school. It may seem pretty stupid that I care about what other people think, but that's just me.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2007
    Ash_Love, please add a little bit more to your posts in the future. ^^;

Firstly, don't the forum rules state that a post need only contain 4 words...

Secondly, the real reason that I've decided to join this community is that I am someone who feels that Pokemon IS dorky and I'd like to listen to what fans like yourselves have to say. I am in no way intending to be a nuisance (although I do expect some sort of response), to flame, or to bully anyone because I'd know that'd be against your policy on the forum. Here are my thoughts...

I'd argue that Pokemon as a concept is reaching its used by date, I played this game (as version Red) as a little child and I feel that the storyline as well as the general structure and gameplay of the game would have worn out its appeal by the time I was 18 years old. At a time when your watching MA rated movies and reading thick books with complicated storyline's that can grab your interest on multiple levels I'd have to say that pokemon is a striking contrast and a distant comparison in terms of narrative depth. It is simplistic game that I would let a child interest himself or herself with, not a growing man.

Furthermore, Pokemon as a game and a cartoon BOTH have a youth target market, the marketing of the entire pokemon product range would be unfocused and weak if it didn't. If anything I'm positive that the target fan's age doesn't extend to that of adults or even people in their late teens, and logically I'd argue that anyone of this age range is a "dork" simply because of their lack of knowledge of other social trends that might apply to their age group, at the very least I'm suggesting they experiment with ANOTHER game.

Also, I find that the time that is spent devoted to this game (particularly that of fans that I've seen on this forum who are searching for SHINY Pokemon) is absolutely astonishing. A member stated in another thread that he played Pokemon for up to 500+ hours, and some claimed that they'd used their time to find EVERY SHINY Pokemon in the game (of which I've heard each is a 1/8000 chance- unobtainable odds I could assume yes?). Now exactly how can you justify being this obsessive? Catching all 150 original Pokemon in red version meant you were a MASTER trainer, if not someone who had WAY to much time on their hands; this obsessiveness is also suggesting that they have something to prove, or that they are unhealthily competitive? (of which I've heard each is a 1/8000 chance- unobtainable odds I could assume yes?)

At high school if I was to hear someone talking about Pokemon ( never has happened though) I'd be offended. Why? Simply because of the fact that they'd be belittling me, the same as if I were to talk to anyone else about a kids television show and expect that they'd be as obsessed about it as I am.

And to all the people who have made up their mind about me, let me just say that my knowledge about Pokemon isn't sparse, I DO have a little brother who loves Pokemon and loves to talk about the latest glitches that people have discovered- another thing I find to be a waste of time, as well as "cheating". I also watched the first Pokemon series, bought the little plastic toys and played the game, but that "FAD" ended quite early.

Sorry to type such a long message but I'm sure that I'm the one and only person on this forum who is going to let you all know how the "people who don't like Pokemon" feel.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    America, and most of the Western world for that matter, tend to not think...at all. So they make all of their judgements on everything based on what the Alpha Person of their clique says. When Pokémon came out, most people saw the bright colors, cute faces, and horrible American marketing and thought, "...must be for kids only...", and passed it up, spreading their opinion to the less informed until most of the populus was ingrained with the fact that Pokémon is for kids.

Fortunately, there are still people in the world that not only have the capability to think on their own, but practice it everyday. I'm personally glad I fall into that category, and a good chunk of the PC populus should be proud of themselves too for sharing this trait with me.
    Me too!
    It bugs me to see people follow someone brainlessly like that...
    And the only reason that people hate pokemon is because, Like Tmbjr said, they only looked at it's surface...they never look in to it before writing it off as a cheesy spinoff of barney for 10 year olds......Only us, the inteligent people who like pokemon really see it's true meaning and message...We recognize it as a game of strategy and of great simplicity. It's kid friendly outside keeps a fresh stream of new fans coming in so that we veterans always have someone to battle or trade with or even mentor....Pokemon has brought the world together in more ways than one...Look at this community! We are united as a community because of pokemon. IMO if pokemon actually existed there would be world peace....

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2007
    IMO if Pokemon actually existed there would be world peace....

IMO, a world of real Pokemon would mean a lot of calls to the RSPCA regarding the free will of animals, as well as animal slavery and animal cruelty. And don't assume everyone who plays Pokemon is intelligent and that everyone who doesn't play it isn't...

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Firstly, don't the forum rules state that a post need only contain 4 words...

Secondly, the real reason that I've decided to join this community is that I am someone who feels that Pokemon IS dorky and I'd like to listen to what fans like yourselves have to say. I am in no way intending to be a nuisance (although I do expect some sort of response), to flame, or to bully anyone because I'd know that'd be against your policy on the forum. Here are my thoughts...

I'd argue that Pokemon as a concept is reaching its used by date, I played this game (as version Red) as a little child and I feel that the storyline as well as the general structure and gameplay of the game would have worn out its appeal by the time I was 18 years old. At a time when your watching MA rated movies and reading thick books with complicated storyline's that can grab your interest on multiple levels I'd have to say that pokemon is a striking contrast and a distant comparison in terms of narrative depth. It is simplistic game that I would let a child interest himself or herself with, not a growing man.

Furthermore, Pokemon as a game and a cartoon BOTH have a youth target market, the marketing of the entire pokemon product range would be unfocused and weak if it didn't. If anything I'm positive that the target fan's age doesn't extend to that of adults or even people in their late teens, and logically I'd argue that anyone of this age range is a "dork" simply because of their lack of knowledge of other social trends that might apply to their age group, at the very least I'm suggesting they experiment with ANOTHER game.

Also, I find that the time that is spent devoted to this game (particularly that of fans that I've seen on this forum who are searching for SHINY Pokemon) is absolutely astonishing. A member stated in another thread that he played Pokemon for up to 500+ hours, and some claimed that they'd used their time to find EVERY SHINY Pokemon in the game (of which I've heard each is a 1/8000 chance- unobtainable odds I could assume yes?). Now exactly how can you justify being this obsessive? Catching all 150 original Pokemon in red version meant you were a MASTER trainer, if not someone who had WAY to much time on their hands; this obsessiveness is also suggesting that they have something to prove, or that they are unhealthily competitive? (of which I've heard each is a 1/8000 chance- unobtainable odds I could assume yes?)

At high school if I was to hear someone talking about Pokemon ( never has happened though) I'd be offended. Why? Simply because of the fact that they'd be belittling me, the same as if I were to talk to anyone else about a kids television show and expect that they'd be as obsessed about it as I am.

And to all the people who have made up their mind about me, let me just say that my knowledge about Pokemon isn't sparse, I DO have a little brother who loves Pokemon and loves to talk about the latest glitches that people have discovered- another thing I find to be a waste of time, as well as "cheating". I also watched the first Pokemon series, bought the little plastic toys and played the game, but that "FAD" ended quite early.

Sorry to type such a long message but I'm sure that I'm the one and only person on this forum who is going to let you all know how the "people who don't like Pokemon" feel.
    I think it's quite obvious that forums don't allow posts that don't contribute to the topic in any way. How is ''Thanks for your replies'' related to the topic in any way?

And the storyline in Pokémon isn't, never has been and never will be what's so appealing about Pokémon. At least that's not the case for me, nor do I spend hours and hours searching for shiny Pokémon because it just isn't worth the effort. Sure having a shiny would be nice, but they're nothing I would do anything for. Also, in your post you only mentioned one typical Pokémon stereotype. There are many others like me who play Pokémon to battle against other players, which brings out the strategic elements in the game; something completely unnecessary while playing against the AI because their movesets suck and everything needed to beat the AI is to pick the moves with the most power and just attacking, which, I assure you, will most definitely lead to a loss against any good player. In the original Red and Blue (or Green as it was in Japan) versions, however, the concept was still in the very early stages and the game has improved quite alot of from what it was in before, adding much more strategy to the games. So in conclusion I'd say you've only scratched the surface if you've only played Pokémon Red and Blue.

Also, what makes you think Pokémon players only play Pokémon? I myself am quite offended of the fact that you think every Pokémon player's life revolves around Pokémon. I, and most other Pokémon fans also enjoy other games and the fact that you think Pokémon is everything in our lives just shows how shallow minded you are. I play every kind of game excluding sport games, racing games and MMORPGs, but that doesn't stop me from playing Pokémon too. And before you start saying I'm probably a nerd who just sits at home playing video games all the time, I'll let you know that I have a social life too.

Furthermore, I don't see why you should be offended if you hear some one talking about Pokémon unless that person comes up to you and starts talking like you'd like Pokémon as well. I couldn't care less about soccer, but if I hear some one talking about it with some one else I don't see why I should care.
    IMO, a world of real Pokemon would mean a lot of calls to the RSPCA regarding the free will of animals, as well as animal slavery and animal cruelty. And don't assume everyone who plays Pokemon is intelligent and that everyone who doesn't play it isn't...
    And you shouldn't assume every one who likes Pokémon is a geek and everyone who doesn't isn't. And don't think I'm one of those who wants Pokémon to be real. Not only is that an unrealistic thought, but you already pointed out why it wouldn't work.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2007
    Well thank you for a well thought response.

I think it's quite obvious that forums don't allow posts that don't contribute to the topic in any way. How is ''Thanks for your replies'' related to the topic in any way?

True, it might not be related, but I'm sure the poster simply would've wanted to revive interest in her thread and show that she hasn't gone to sleep and is still active in the discussion. I found it nice that someone spent their time valuing the community's thoughts by saying thanks. Warning someone to say something better or get out really does seem unnecessary in that situation.

I loved the part where you talked about strategy, at least I understand where the interest comes from now. But despite an interesting post you did happen to say this:

Also, what makes you think Pokémon players only play Pokémon? I myself am quite offended of the fact that you think every Pokémon player's life revolves around Pokémon. I, and most other Pokémon fans also enjoy other games and the fact that you think Pokémon is everything in our lives just shows how shallow minded you are.

Shallow minded... thanks, but isn't it at all reasonable to assume that if anything your mammoth post count on a Pokemon website would indicate that your life does revolve somewhat around pokemon.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Well thank you for a well thought response.

True, it might not be related, but I'm sure the poster simply would've wanted to revive interest in her thread and show that she hasn't gone to sleep and is still active in the discussion. I found it nice that someone spent their time valuing the community's thoughts by saying thanks. Warning someone to say something better or get out really does seem unnecessary in that situation.

I loved the part where you talked about strategy, at least I understand where the interest comes from now. But despite an interesting post you did happen to say this:

Shallow minded... thanks, but isn't it at all reasonable to assume that if anything your mammoth post count on a Pokemon website would indicate that your life does revolve somewhat around pokemon.
    More than 2000 of those posts come from my n00b days when I would post just about anywhere just for the sake of posting and my social life was inexistent, which obviously isn't the case for me anymore. And I apologize for being rude and blunt, but certain parts of your post were somewhat offending because you were talking about all Pokémon fans as if they'd all be geeks who have nothing better to do. For certain people Pokémon might just be a hobby.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2007
    Fair enough, and I'd just like to point out that every time someone thinks I generalize about the term nerds and geeks, I equally hear someone easily use the term "jock" in a derogatory way.

Nattydee

Meowth's Fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2007
    Kids in my school actually like it.

I was doodling Meowth when suddenly, a girl goes "..You like POKEMON?" The ENTIRE classroom says things like, "What's wrong with Pokemon?!" "Dude, I LOVE those things!" and so on. I think it's slowly coming back to life.

RangerLunick

Rookie Ranger
    Years
    im in high school
    and all i talk about to the guys is pokemon pokemon pokemon
    i havent met a girl thats liked it yet

any way all the guys are scared that the other ppl will find out and i think thats soo dumb

y do u think ppl will care?

Same with me and my mates all through high school, only our closest friends know to this day! Loads of girls seem to like it though

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Me too!
    It bugs me to see people follow someone brainlessly like that...
    And the only reason that people hate pokemon is because, Like Tmbjr said, they only looked at it's surface...they never look in to it before writing it off as a cheesy spinoff of barney for 10 year olds......Only us, the inteligent people who like pokemon really see it's true meaning and message...We recognize it as a game of strategy and of great simplicity.
    See, this is what's called taking my comments and making them rather radical. It's possible to rise above the sphere of immature influence, but still not like Pokémon. I know a lot of free-thinkers who don't associate themselves with Pokémon simply because they're not fans of video games or animé like I am. Inversely, there are sheep people who get into Pokémon games simply because others around them do and they want to be part of the crowd. It's never fair to judge an entire group based on an observational generalization.

It's kid friendly outside keeps a fresh stream of new fans coming in so that we veterans always have someone to battle or trade with or even mentor....Pokemon has brought the world together in more ways than one...Look at this community! We are united as a community because of pokemon. IMO if pokemon actually existed there would be world peace....

heh...World Peace is something that is perpetually unobtainable, whether or not Pokémon existed...but that's a debate for another day.

As for ConcernedOutsider...See all the space between my last post in this thread and this post? That is a good-sized break in time in which I execute not only my work, school, and gaming lives, but my healthy social life as well. I rarely log onto the Internet anymore because of everything I have going on. Sure, I may fit into your rather loose definition of a nerd, but know this, there are the type of pokéfans like the one you observed around here (the kind I affectionately refer to as a n00b), and then there are people like me, who turn on a Pokémon game for entertainment value. It may not have the most epic story in a video game , but it does have some good solid RPG gameplay that is easy to pick up for a good hour or so of fun. I have a minute presence in the Netbattle scene (and I'm hardly any good either...), but that's about the extent of my Pokénerdness...

To recall what I said earlier...it's never fair to judge an entire group based on an observational generalization.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Well because it is dorky. Just like World of Warcraft. It's awesome, but dorky. That's the thing I hate about things like this. People let it get to them that the things they like are dorky. I seem to find joy in killing pokemon in my gameboy, but I don't talk to people at school about it.

Years
    I think the main reason the majority of people hate Pokemon is all the anime, cards, toys and that the most well-known pokemon was pikachu.
    imagine if the pokemon mascot was a metagross or rayquaza...
    The entire reputation of pokemon has been severely damaged due to pikachu and the stupid "children's" section of pokemon.
    Most people fail to see the cool side of pokemon due to the way it is portrayed.

Another reason so many people reject it is that they are afraid to become the "pokegeek" stereotype that has been created.
    The majority of people on this forum are smart for three main reasons.
    1) they understand ev's, iv's etc. eg. i know the base stats of most the pokemon from 1-400.
    2) The people that are not academics are usually popular people and will not do anything that is not socially accepted. it is the people that are outcast for their intellect are the ones that play pokemon.
    3) Lastly, we are intelligent enough to realise that just because someone thinks something about you, doesnt make it true. We are not making ourselves unhappy to conform with the stencil of society.
    I rest my case

Sr E

Jr. Trainer
    Years
    Pokemon is not necessarily dorky. I kind of think of it as a more "underground" thing. People see it as being dorky due to the way that it is portrayed on T.V. and because a lot of the people that openly play it are, at least at my school, uber-nerds.

Back