• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Yet another map viewer

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
This looks pretty cool. Is it running under linux?

Yes, I develop it on Linux but from time to time I try it on 64-systems and windows. Theoretically it should compile on Mac too.

It works on any little-endian system with at least 32-bits and C-Standard-Libraries (and FLTK for the gui).

Years
Yes, I develop it on Linux but from time to time I try it on 64-systems and windows. Theoretically it should compile on Mac too.

It works on any little-endian system with at least 32-bits and C-Standard-Libraries (and FLTK for the gui).

Neat lol, I love Linux!!! It's a billion times better than windows in my book. Open Source forever!

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years

aww, you don't use GTK+?
it's really nice :) plus, there's lots of documentation and what not. do you need a library to use FLTK?

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020

aww, you don't use GTK+?
it's really nice :) plus, there's lots of documentation and what not. do you need a library to use FLTK?

I had bad experiences with GTK+. Especially on windows. But the main reason it that I like the API of FLTK. It's incredibly intuitive. You don't have to worry about layout anymore. I also used QT so I know what I'm talking about. But you can write a GTK+ gui if you want :P

The standard compiling-environment of mingw has anything FLTK needs. (No extra libs) And on linux you have the package-manger of course.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
hm...is there a big learning curve between GTK+ and FLTK?
o.o bad experiences with GTK+ on windows??
anything i should know of, since all my tools use those...?

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
ZHE EXE

I finally compiled this tool on windows.

Only two buttons work: "land_data" and "build_model"
By clicking the buttons you can load the according Nintendo-Archives. If you want to unload one of these slots press "Cancel" during the file-selection.

You can drag the number to the right to increase it.

In the 3D-Window you can use WASD-Controls and Q to switch to wireframe-mode.

EDIT: Removed attachment. There is a newer version now.

Last edited:

humanguy2000

NSMBW hacker
Years
This is looking great! (I downloaded the file you attached and opened up land_data_release) ...But I don't know how to use it... :( I got a 3d Twinleaf Town, and I want to edit that map. How would I change the textures? I'm trying to make Littleroot Town.

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
This is looking great! (I downloaded the file you attached and opened up land_data_release) ...But I don't know how to use it... :( I got a 3d Twinleaf Town, and I want to edit that map. How would I change the textures? I'm trying to make Littleroot Town.

haha this isn't an editor yet. It's just a beta (more like alpha) to show off XD. And there is no support for textures yet but I'm working on it right now.

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
Normally the models get their colors from the textures. However it's possible to additionally save colors in the vertices. The colors are multiplied with the texture and are used to achieve fake lightning. If you see coloured line I recommend to switch to solid mode.

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
I can't reproduce this error. I used the diamond-maps / platin-buildings.
Can you start the editor from dos and redirect the messages into textfile. Like this: "map_editor.exe >output.txt" and attach it?

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
Yes, I meant the command prompt. Use "dir" to get to the correct directory and type the "map_editor.exe >output.txt". Then the output is in the file "output.txt" in the same directory

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
I think the indoor-maps are 1/2x or 2x of the outdoor-maps. I never played Pokemon Diamond and I also can't emulate it. So can someone verfiy this?

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
I worked on texture-support today and this is what came out. You can't see many changes. Most of the work was because of the texture-manager which loads/unloads the textures that are/aren't required to/from the graphics-card.

m64m

NSMB Hacking Expert
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2011
wait, are the textures supposed to be loaded like that?

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
um...wut archives are we supposed to use? (im away from nitro right now...)
i only have my land_data and texture files from pearl, what files am i supposed to load?

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
95% of the file format are implemented and 1/10 of the textured objects work now. There are still problems with the scale of the buildings but I'll ignore that for now.

The next thing I'll implement are the WRITING-PARTS (yay)

Last edited:

m64m

NSMB Hacking Expert
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2011
=D!!!!

What do you mean by writing-parts? What are those?

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
The parts of the program that write the data back to the rom. (An editor without a "save"-option is pretty useless)

Back