• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[YGO] Synchro or Fusion

Apple Juice

who are you
Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Fusions or Synchros; which one do you prefer inside a deck? Synchros are a newly created type of YGO card that needs other monsters cards to 'sacrifice' in order to get it on the field; one of the sacrificed monsters must be a Tuner.

Fusions are a bit simplar on my standards; the goal is to get two monsters that are compatiable with a fusion spell card in hand. Although, synchros are better in many cases; I'm glad UDE made them. It dosen't require an extra card (Poly for fusions) and sometimes laughs at other synchros.

Which would you rather have?

Last edited:

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Synchro monsters are probably easier to have, seeing as you just need the two monsters, but with a fusion monster, you also need a Polymerization type card.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • Fusions, in most cases ("Contact Fusion" withstanding, of course), require a setup card that is useless by itself, a TERRIBLE topdeck, and provides negative card advantage for you.

Contact Fusion is the exception; you don't require the card, you can draw into the monster, then just slap them together on the spot. Gyzarus and Herkalinos ruled a couple formats ago for a reason...they were ownage and didn't care what their necessary parts fused with. Most importantly, it returned the parts back to your ever-precious deck, where, after razing the field, Gyazrus swung in, then called out two, pretty much evening out card advantage and at the same time swinging tempo furiously to your side by pretty much saying "I'm gonna swap out my creatures for better ones kthnx. Oh Mirror Force? Gyzarus lololololol". Jerkalinos was almost as bad, almost shutting down any attempt an opponent made at removing your Glads so Saku and the aforementioned Mirror Force didn't shut down your strategy.

Synchros are, I find, a more advanced version of Contact Fusion. When you're not playing Glads, being dead is the best place for things to be. Sync up, bring out a bomb (in most cases, the better Syncs don't outline specific tuners to use, which makes it a simple matter of math combos so that your tuner will be immediately able to sync up with any of your creatures and immediately swing the board presence in your favor), and sit back and watch your opponent cry.

While I've quit YuGiOh, I'm glad that UDE made Synchros. Virtually every attempt to make Fusions playable was a horrible wreck and got every instigator banned. Synchros are tier-1, threatening bombs that sneer at opponents; and the best part is, they work with virtually anything, including other Synchros!

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • Synchro is like...fusion and ritual monster combined while being a WHOLE LOT EASIER to bring out. Having played a fusion deck (e-heroes) I can confidently say that synchro comes out on top.

and when you think of Contact Fusion, players automatically think of GLADs, being that they are easy to bring out and shove back into deck for recycling.

Halberdier

Solver and Stabber
    Years
  • Actually, in the current japanese meta, the three main arch types are lightsworns, x-sabers and black wings. Light sworns have no tuners and can use light wave tuning. Light wave tuning is trash. Ignore it. Blackwings have great tuners like vayu, gale and blizzard. X-sabers have many tuners as well, and can deplete your whole hand and fill up the field in a single turn with the infamous faultroll loop, soon to be brought to TCG.

Aside from that, most archtypes depend on their main deck for their "typed" cards. The synchro pool of monsters is more for untyped support. It's like how even though no deck except one that tries to bring out majestic star dragon/star dust dragon assault mode is based on stardust, but most still run it in their side deck, because once it's summoned, it is tremendously useful, and it can never be drawn as a dead draw.

When one starts playing with tuners, they can automatically fill up their extra deck with as many synchro monsters as they can, because they can always be useful. If you have a deck filled with no monsters lower than 4 star, and nothing + your flamvell magical can add up to 6, if you have a brionac, you'll actually benefit from having it, even though you can't regularly summon it, because there's a chance you can use brain control to get material from it. The synchro monsters are much more useful in that aspect, because they can be used at any time as needed, and with the exception of the previously mentioned archtype synchro monsters, such as Blackwing Armour Master, you almost never require them.

The synchron archtype depended heavily on archtyped synchros as well, and was full of synchro monsters that could only be summoned with their respective tuner. Previously though, this kind of focus came from fusion monsters. Such as the E-heros which had so many combinations that they made running cards like fusion sage useful. Fusion monsters were often only singularly useful to the archtype that they came from.

For the most part, if your arch type depends on fusions, fusions are to be run. You can benefit a lot with cards like miracle fusion and the dragons hand mirror.

Fusions and Synchro monsters are unique running one is not exclusive of the other. You can always run synchros though.

Also, I didn't include Z heros or any form of twilight build under the "archtyped" metagame, because they are not archtypes, and while they both use synchro summoning, they for the most part, perpetuate the use of non archtyped synchros, and do not make the good comparison to what fusions formerly were, serving as a reinforcement to the main deck. I also didn't include plaguespreader zombie in the list of lightsworn tuners, despite it being easily and often splashed in there, because lightsworns don't have any synchro monsters. Any thing that they do synchro summon is simply another generic synchro monster.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
    Years
  • Someone needs to spell archetype better. And get their facts correct too. I need to talk with you more on the state of the OCG, Mr. Halberdier, over our next duel.

First, let's clarify a few things. As Mr. Halberdier said, Lightwave Tuning is a horrible card, but it's not part of the Lightsworn Archetype. It was released in TDGS, while Lightsworns were released in LODT first. Plus, the card image does not depict a Lightsworn monster. Blackwings do have epic Tuners such as Blizzard the Far North, Vayu the Grand Flag (Emblem of Honor for you Americans, geez), and most importantly Gale the Whirlwind because of his permanent half-ATK effect. X-Sabers are also an excellent archetype, but they will be better when Gardestrike goes over to the OCG, as one of their best 4-stars, Galsem, is not in the TCG yet and Gardestrike is a TCG exclusive that has not been released in an Extra Pack. For the most part X-Saber play in the OCG is conservative, and focuses on Palomlo and Passiul as defensive Tuners as well as others. The Faultroll Loop exists in the TCG already with Mass Driver, Ragigura, Rescue Cat, Foolish Burial, Airbellum, and Faultroll.

What Mr. Halberdier was trying to say is that Synchros can be fitted into any deck with even one or two Tuners (Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind and Plaguespreader Zombie are two prime examples), because Synchros are explosive when they actually do happen, and a large amount of the Synchros have fairly nonspecific materials so that they can be summoned easily just by doing the level addition. Synchros are generic extra ammunition and firepower that increase the potential of a deck running them. If it does not clash with the archetype horribly, always run as many Synchros as you can. (Not recommended for E-Heroes, for example, because it does clash, but for Machines, say, that's less of an issue.)

Fusions are awesome and epic in their own right, it's just more difficult to cram an engine in, because you often need at least 4 cards instead of 1 or 2, those being 2 copies of King of the Swamp and Polymerization, because otherwise you will not get your Fusions out reliably at all. For some decks that can pull off Fusions though, they will kick people's face in. Elemental Hero Absolute Zero, for example, is a prime example of it, not being difficult to pull off but not weak either, with a powerful field-clearing effect and decent stats.

Mr. Halberdier further wished to speak about the state of the OCG, but he is sadly mistaken about the top decks in the OCG. The OCG right now consists of Zombiesworn, Zombiesworn, and more Zombiesworn, with some Blackwing Skill Drain and Zombie-Heroes on the side. Lightsworns are also seen, though it's really mostly Zombiesworn. OCG has wonderful archetypes like the Ice Barrier monsters (Gungnir, Trishula, Brionac, the triplet Ice Barrier Dragons), the Mist Valley monsters (Thunderbird, Bird of Prey, Lightning Ogre), the Flamvells and Neoflamvells, and the Real and Ally Genex - on top of that, the atmosphere is very friendly, so creative decks are encouraged more, but this is no reason to lower the power level of their decks.

Oh, and for the guy above me, copies of Polymerization are probably sold at your local card dealer for 50 cents a copy, 1 dollar tops. That's no excuse.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I like Fusion monsters solely for the fact that so many gimmicky decks work with them.

Say, Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem + Power Bond + Limiter Removal.

DECK NAME: Fix Me

MONSTER (23)
    Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon
    Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon
    Ancient Gear Golem
    Ancient Gear Golem
    Ancient Gear Golem
    Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

Ancient Gear
    Ancient Gear
    Ancient Gear
    Ancient Gear Cannon
    Ancient Gear Cannon
    Ancient Gear Cannon
    Elemental Hero Prisma
    Elemental Hero Prisma
    Elemental Hero Prisma
    Giant Rat
    Giant Rat
    Giant Rat
    King of the Swamps
    King of the Swamps
    King of the Swamps
    Morphing Jar
    Sangan

SPELL (15)
    Ancient Gear Explosive
    Fusion Recovery
    Fusion Recovery
    Future Fusion
    Geartown
    Geartown
    Geartown
    Lightning Vortex
    Limiter Removal
    Machine Duplication
    Machine Duplication
    Mystical Space Typhoon
    Polymerization
    Power Bond
    Power Bond

TRAP (6)
    Call of the Haunted
    Magical Hats
    Mirror Force
    Royal Decree
    Royal Decree
    Torrential Tribute

EXTRA
    Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem

Halberdier

Solver and Stabber
    Years
  • I didn't say that lightwave was lightsworn, but it creates lightsworn tuners. >_>.

Zombie sworn is a deck type and isn't an archetype. The spelling of archetype is duly noted.

On top of this though, you grazed over my main point, restated it, and cringed over the lesser points of release dates.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    I do like some fusion decks like Ancient Gear, and even Elemental Hero. But I think Synchros are overall better. Easier to summon, and better against other synchros.

Mihael

Tara X willow=OTP
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2012
    Synchro is just more practical.
    I just created a blackwing deck which I've fallen in love with.
    Fusion is too dependent on specifics.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    I personally think BWs are highly overrated, but that's besides the point.

If fusions were less demanding, than I would like them batter. I do love the conept of fusing monsters, especially in YGO.

Shiny

Years
  • Blackwings can deliver a punch, I don't think I've ever won in a duel against them, if I recall.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Oops, I meant overused. :/

Yeah, they are real strong, but like I said, they're overused. So many people used them these days.

To keep on topic, white is a much better color than purple.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
  • i dunno i suppose syncros are better but i think that they are made over powered...

what happened to the good old blue-eyes ultimate dragon (which i have and can summon)

it is so easy to get stardust that you can do it first turn.

my friend has black wings and i beat them with my psychics, but his blackwing deck isn't really that good (shhh. don't tell him)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • Oops, I meant overused. :/

Yeah, they are real strong, but like I said, they're overused. So many people used them these days.

To keep on topic, white is a much better color than purple.

Now, white with purple is pretty exciting too. It could make for some crazy magical caster thing.

That being said, I still await the day they have a Fusion-Material Synchro monster for fun.

Shiny

Years
  • Well they probably would make a new anime, but it would make you wonder what the plot could ever be about.

But Fusion monsters are rare nowadays anyway.

Back