• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You have $1000 to spend on tech

Years
    I'm gonna need like $1500 more. The next thing I plan to buy is an MSI Raider GE66 with at least 32 gb RAM and hopefully an i9 CPU. I prefer AMDs, but the AMD market is more limited and I need a new laptop for all the statistical computing I do for work.

Ultimately, I want to buy a Threadripper 3990X lol. 64 cores. But the CPU by itself is almost $5000 and it requires a special motherboard, multiple GPUs, etc. It would be like owning my own compute node.
    I'm always down for a laptop upgrade~ Just curious what made you choose MSI over the other brands? No hate or anything, I've just never had experience with MSI as I've stuck with Asus and Lenovo for a good part of my life.

I also dreamt of getting a Threadripper every here and there, then realized that I absolutely would not need its full power at all for my use case lmao. Hoping you get one eventually though!

Haiku

PokéManiac
    Years
    I'm always down for a laptop upgrade~ Just curious what made you choose MSI over the other brands? No hate or anything, I've just never had experience with MSI as I've stuck with Asus and Lenovo for a good part of my life.

I also dreamt of getting a Threadripper every here and there, then realized that I absolutely would not need its full power at all for my use case lmao. Hoping you get one eventually though!

So, there is actually a bit of a story behind that. I originally was looking into an ASUS ROG Strix because I prefer Ryzen CPUs, but I went to a local Costco to just see all of the laptops in person, type on their keyboards, etc. While I was there the 17" version of the MSI laptop (I want the 15" version and more upgraded than they sell there) caught my eye because of the very attractive RGB lighting, not gonna lie, lol. I spent a few minutes with it and really liked the keyboard too. So I looked it up online and found there was a 15" version, and I was like, sold. Lenovos are good too. The Ideapad Pro is one of the other models I looked at in store. Really, all three of those brands are "good", along with Dell (I was considering an XPS 15 too). The laptop will be a gift for getting my PhD, so I went all out with the one that made me go "Wow!" :)

Thanks! Yeah, statistical computing is one of the few fields where you CAN use a Threadripper. The 3990X is equal or better to the Ryzen 7 even at its weakest tasks. It's a really attractive chip.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    breathes
    keebords

Nah, I'd probably get a PS5 and/or a new huge SSD drive.

Back