• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*You have been slain*. Again.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Whenever I play shooting games, or, any of that sort, I do have a habit of dying over, and over again. Even when it came to games like Resident Evil... but that might be something more to it - Tell me, have you ever played a video game where the difficulty curve to master was a liiittle too great for you, and thus, you kept perishing a ungraceful death, or an uninspiring game over, again, and again?

Do you think that dying and having game overs in video games is one step of completing a challenge in a game, or, do you maybe think that the game miiiight be too hard for you?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Whelp. *Pulls suspenders*. Street Fighter. I. Am. So. Bad... At that game... not just the game, the series. The cold hard fact is that there is no way I will ever play that game and even be sub-par. I've put it on Very Easy and still get wrecked. Although I do realize that a Game Over/Death/KO. Is something that should make you be like: "Hell, I did something wrong. Time to try something new (In terms of a strategy.)" And I get that from games like Naruto Ninja Storm, Halo, Call of Duty, etc. But when I play Street Fighter or Marvel vs Capcom. I just know, deep in me, that there is no way in heck I will ever be even decent at that game, like it's this thing where I feel like. I might as well play this for the lolz. Because there's nothing fun about it. I love the lore that comes with Street Fighter, the Universe, but ... Ah I digress. I don't know if this answered the question properly. But I mean, this is how I feel about Game Overs in relation to game difficulties.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Demon's Souls. That game was so bad for me that I ended up selling it. I just couldn't beat Flamelurker, no matter what I did: I followed advice online, tried to duplicate videos of it being beaten, recruited other players; everything. I just couldn't get past it. I was absolutely fine up to that point, as well...not so much a difficulty curve as a brick wall. Yet oddly, I breezed through Dark Souls with no difficulty whatsoever, and people say that is the harder game...

That's probably the worst example I have. Usually I just see it as a part of the challenge - I need to level up some more, or learn attack patterns, etc. The Rondo of Blood remake in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles was something I found appallingly hard until I'd learned the layout of the levels...then I could dash through without taking any damage whatsoever. Similarly, once I'd figured out the combat system in Resonance of Fate, and how to manage my Hero Actions and properly customize my weapons, I found it a lot easier...until around Chapter 13, where I hit another roadblock and had to completely adjust my party setup again.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Dark Souls here since I bought it a few months ago and it is evil it hates anyone who touches it.

Years
  • Don't let me play FPS games I suck at those so much lol. Stuff like resident evil is fine, but stuff like COD or any of that war stuff...

I still remember last time when I tried COD:

"Okaayyyy just need to position the cursoorrr/shot"

Never put me on a battlefield. I move to slow for that kind of stuff. xD

Don't let me play FPS games I suck at those so much lol. Stuff like resident evil is fine, but stuff like COD or any of that war stuff...

I still remember last time when I tried COD:

"Okaayyyy just need to position the cursoorrr/shot"

Never put me on a battlefield. I move too slow for that kind of stuff. xD

Last edited:

Raikou

bolt-action thunder
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Nov 12, 2015
    Why did Demon Souls have to be a thing? I tried and tried and tried some more. NOOOOPE.

Not FPS related, but like... 99% of my low level deaths in Skyrim were because "Oh, hey. I can make this jump without dying. This isn't that far down.". HA AHAHA. No.

I like to think that I'm pretty good at Borderlands 1&2. I can't play COD worth nothin' (though Ghosts looks great).

LOL, I REMEMBER WHEN I USED TO SUCK AT FPS THO. It was hilarious.

TY

Dying, i tend to do it a lot in the early stages, but when i get used to the game or get some nice stuff to play with, i dont die as fast anymore. The only game i stopped playing cause of dying a lot is CoD, since you cant walk for a sec or you die by some random camping 9-year old >.>

Also in Borderlands 2 dying can be annoying as you wanna get back up, but you just killed the last enemy in a area xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not that bad at Call of Duty as much as I used to be, but when I was introduced to it five to six years ago, I always ended up getting myself killed. Every time I tried to shoot the opponents, they would outrun me and start shooting their bullets before I even I got ready. xD The more I played though, the more skills I've developed, and eventually learned to always be ready—even when you have other team members around to protect you. Some teammates do help out when enemies are near, but some prefer not to. Instead, they do their "own thing."

Nowadays, the only reason I die in Call of Duty is not because I don't have enough skills, it's more or less due to server lag. Whenever I'm on multiplayer, my player always seems to get stuck in one place for a few seconds, leaving me completely open to the opponents and making it easier for them to kill me. Their servers also disconnect me from time to time, which is even more annoying. Some may think that these things happen due to net issues, but I'm pretty sure that my internet connection is quite fast, as it's able to handle almost any task—it's got nothing to do with it. d:

Years
  • The only game I play a lot where I can be killed frequently, is League of Legends. If you die in that game a lot, it's a serious bummer. It gets you down emotionally, but it also hinders your ability to do good. A death for you is a kill for their team, which is a death for your team... Etc. :]

That being said, being on the other side of that, and killing someone a lot?

IT FEELS GLORIOUS.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    In online, most of the time I do poorly in the Call of Duty games. My K/D ratio is normally under 1.0, which is negative, and I used to get frustrated but I really don't care anymore.

One game that I would have to say that really tested me was Devil May Cry 3 that I played in the Devil May Cry collection on Xbox 360. I had beaten the first two of the games in about 3 days, and I was on the last. I was already worn out and these games are pretty difficult to beat. I didn't finish the third game, but I wish I had.

I do think that harder difficulties are just a challenge that we as gamers have to step over. No matter how hard a game is, I do think that we can beat it. I do think that developers take difficulty too far sometimes too though.

Back