• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"You have no gym badges? You must be a total noob!"

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    While playing Pearl, I found a Shiny Rhydon. Safe to say that I lost all my poke balls battling that thing, and eventually had to run away. :( Nowadays I always have 100+ poke balls with me.

Fee Nicks

TekMage
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2011
    So it would seem Drapion is Poison/Dark, not just plain poison. And I was wondering why my Psychic moves were all useless...
    What makes this worse is that I had two pokemon on the PO team I was using that knew Superpower.

Mr. L

Tea.
    Years
  • A long time ago on Gold, I hatched my first Pokemon, a Pichu. I had it in my party on the route west of New Bark Town and bumped into Raikou, I thought "This might by funny" and sent Pichu out (I was young), and then Raikou fled, which I knew it would after a turn but still wasted the turn sending out Pichu...

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
    Years
  • When I was about 9 in my gold version, I used my master ball on an Ursaring in Victory Road because I thought it was scary enough to break out of my other balls. Yup. I wasted my masterball on an Ursaring -.-

Recently (and this is on my walkthrough) I had a Marshtomp and kept using Mud Bomb on flying and ground types without thinking. I even said "OH wtf am I doing?" and I used it AGAIN XD

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    My noob moment was just a few hours ago, on Pokémon Heartgold. I was in the battle factory using a Plusle against a Wigglytuff. It kept on using minimize so all my moves kept missing. It wasn't until I was about to faint that I realised swift had been there the whole time...

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • So we're talking noob stuff here?

* In my original, Late Silver I had thought my rival's name was supposed to be ???; it was only the second pokemon game I had ever played after yellow and I was used to naming the rival right after yourself. XP

*In my first time in Hoenn, my very first Ruby file I encountered a dark blue/teal Electrike. I was not exactly sure what I was seeing though I knew it didn't look normal. I cocked my head at it for a few moments trying to decide and then not wanting an electrike ran. It didn't occur to me that it was shiny because I had been used to Silver's sparkle effect.

*Black; remember in the guide thread what I explained about Merriland's guide? Well it's not specific enough in some areas and I had some trouble figuring out some of it's directions. This was one of those points. After entering the pokemon league, it says to go west for the pokemon center. My pokemon are pretty beat up from victory road and I desperately want to buy a **** load of super potions and revives. So I go the only west I can see and....end up approaching my first Elite four opponent, the ghost user(I really liked her, and how she's a writer like me hehe). OMG I am so freaking out but I figure "ok I'll do my best and then I'll train up some more once I'm defeated". But hallelujah, I had enough stock after all to actually make it through ALL FOUR! And my over training probably helped too, I was slightly stronger than all of them. It was kind of a miracle I have to say.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • In my days of youth I was playing Pokemon Yellow, perhaps I was grinding prior to the E4, when I stumbled across my first Ditto.

I gasped when it turned into my pokemon! This must be a rare! I'll just pull out my handy-dandy Master Ball and--

WHAT!? This thing is only mildly rare!? I wasted my masterball T_T

Now I just use Great and Poke balls for Ditto.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2015
    mine was when I continued to use scolipede as a tank in Pokemon black, I never realized that it took a defense drop upon evolution, you cannot tank with base 89 defense and base 69 special defense.

XxSweetDreamsxX

From the shadows~
    Years
  • I think my biggest and most embarrassing moment (back when I was 7), was when I got my first pokemon game- Leafgreen.

I played it for awhile, I had a squirtle as a starter...and I read a sign that said "Press START to open the menu!" so I would always press start at that exact moment to open the menu to save etc. But that was the ONLY time I saved. When I was infront of the sign.

So I would always be running my trainer over to that same sign to save. I was in the middle of the Viridian Forest when my Dad told me to shut my game off. I said "ok, one second I have to save!" And started running back to Pallet Town. My dad got mad and asked what was taking me so long- I replied by telling him I had to run back to a certain area to save. He watched me and then showed me I could open the Menu wherever I pleased....

...yeah...gotta love kids.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • I've never found a shiny pokemon in any of my games, not counting the Red Gyarados.
    Well, except for one time in LeafGreen when I found a shiny Rattata. True, that's not very impressive, but I didn't care. I caught it.
    Of course, I forgot to save...
    You see, I had been struggling for about a week and a half trying to beat Misty with my Charmeleon and Graveler. That in itself was rather stupid, but after I finally got smart and caught a Weepinbell and the said Rattata, I won against her.
    I'll repeat it again: I forgot to save.
    As I was exiting Cerulean Gym, someone came into the room I was in and startled my, making me drop the DS I was playing the game on. The game froze, and I never was able to find another shiny, or beat Cerulean Gym in LeafGreen again. :(
    And yes, I'm complaining.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    During my battle with a gym leader I accidentally switched in with a Magikarp and I used splash, instead of going into my bag and using revive. Needless to say I lost the battle. -.-

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • When I was five, in Pokemon Yellow, restarting my game with a level sixty something Pikachu because I couldn't find the Card Key. I also left an Abra in the Daycare until it was well over level seventy. "You want me to pay how much to get my Abra back? Forget it, you can keep it!"

Up until I bought Emerald, I usually put all same type moves on my Pokemon. For example, Kyogre with only Water and Ice type attacks.

Last edited:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Noob moments:
    1. Back when I was very young and first started playing Pokemon, I couldn't understand why, while I was playing Pokemon Stadium, Hyper Beam couldn't hit Gengar. I didn't know that Normal-type moves couldn't hit Ghost-type Pokemon.
    2. When I started playing FireRed, the first Gen 3 game I ever played, I tried to hit Koffing, who has Levitate, with Earthquake. Since it was my first Gen 3 game, I didn't understand much about abilities.
    3. More recently, actually within the past year, I started playing Gen 4. (Yes, I know, I was behind). I didn't quite realize that moves now have a Physical/Special split based on the move itself. Therefore, I was wondering why Luxray's Thunder Fang seemed to do just about the same damage as Discharge. However, now I'm up to date with the Pokemon games.

Years
  • When I first started playing pokemon The only one I would train is my starter. I never bothered to train my other 6. So I had about a level 85 Charizard by the 8th gym. Yeah the game was easy but it was boring.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Back with my 1st pokemon game (Diamond.......... I started late alright?) I only trained my Infernape, and I also used my Staraptor a lot too after I learned it could use Close Combat (I thought it could destroy everything, but then I fought Cyrus's Crobat..... yeah.... and I didn't learn either)

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I spammed earthquake from Swampert and Onix in a team battle agianst a set of flying pokemon. Boy was I dissapointed.

Back