• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"You have no gym badges? You must be a total noob!"

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    Yeah, as that guy in Oreburgh City mentions in Diamond and Pearl, that if you have no badges by the time you arrive in a city with the first gym with no badges, that you must be a "total noob", and that you couldn't beat anyone. So what about you?

Through playing Pokemon, do you have any noob moments?

I have a noob moment, back when I was playing Pokemon Stadium. It was one of the Rocket Grunts I was up against, who had a Nidoqueen against my Zapdos. I kept using Thunderbolt against it, wondering why it wouldn't work at all. I just assumed I could keep going until I hit her, but then later on in life, I learnt that you can't hit Groud types with Electric moves. -__-

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    In Sapphire, I used Swampert's Mud Shot against a Koffing, not knowing that it had Levitate as an ability.

Giga Flare

The Onion Knight
    Years
    My recent Noob moment was when I walked into the Elite Four room with only my Wooper and I hadn't saved it for a while.

When I first played Pokemon Yellow I put Pikachu and against Onix, not knowing that Electric moves were useless. I kept spamming thundeshock.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2013
    Two noob moments, both in Silver. (This was shortly after it was released.) First, I found a shiny Krabby. Now, I'd been regaled with tale after tale of game-destroying glitches in the first gen, so I thought this was a glitched Krabby, and in a panic I killed it. Not until MUCH later did I learn exactly what I did. -_-;

Second one came much later, after I beat the E4 for the first time. I was going back and finding items I'd missed, and I was in an area where the levels were 2-5ish. Naturally, I encountered Raikou there. Now, I'd never seen a Raikou before. It had been long enough since Ecruteak that I didn't recognize the name. It was uglier than sin (Look at the Silver sprite if you don't believe me... it's disgusting....) and it was more than 30 levels higher than the normal Pokemon there. My child mind naturally assumed I'd found a glitch, and it'd be a bad, bad thing to catch it. >.< So I killed it. And then went through my Pokedex and found the entry...... and saw that there weren't any more.... I just about cried.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Before I realised Chinchou/Lanturn's ability, I kept trying to Thunderbolt my way to victory, only for nothing to happen. Of course, when I got a Lanturn, it turned out to be the best thing ever due to other people making the same nooby mistakes I did! Hooray for crappy AI!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yesterday I tried to use Focus Blast on a Jellicent. It missed 4 times in a row, and the 5th time it said "It doesn't effect Jellicent..." ;_;

PKMN Trainer Nick

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    In my yellow version, I fought with Giovanni's Rhydon with my Pikachu. Thinking that I might kill Rhydon off with a Thunder since Pikachu can do it in the anime, I ended up as an idiot knowing that there's no common sense in the anime.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    My latest noobish moment was when I tried to use Psychic on Hydreigon. Needless to say that it was ineffective. ;_;

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    When RSE was first released, I always wondered why I could destroy Haunter with Earthquake in the Gameboy games but not the new ones.

It took me a few years to learn about abilities.

GET READY TO RUMBLE!

RAAAHAWRGAHRGA!
    Years
    In white I though the blue frillishes were shinies. I had only encountered the pink female ones so when I saw it I freaked out and went berserk. After 3 more appeared I figured out it was just the male ones that are blue and that they're not shiny

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    LOL; these stories are funny - especially the "accidental Shiny Pokemon KO" ones. :cer_laugh: IIRC, my recent one was trying to use an Articuno to Mind Reader+Sheer Cold a Shuckle in Emerald's Battle Tower. Stupid Sturdy ability. Isn't the Rock-type and monstrous Defense and Special Defense enough?! :cer_pissed:

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Pokemon Yellow. Never beat Brock as a kid. Why? Didn't bother to read that Thundershock didn't effect Ground types. 8D

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    Well, there was that one time where I killed a shiny Diglett with no regard. How stupid I was... ><

Plus my Charizard had only Fire-type moves. Said moves were all attack moves. I also tried to defeat a Magnemite with a Pidgeot. That didn't work out too well...

And I killed Articuno. :D That was a dumb idea. I later thought I would find it again in Cerulean Cave. I didn't. :(

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    My first noob moment was in Pokemon Yellow, so I shouldn't actually need to explain further, you should all get it straight away.

The Eagle

I choose Agumon!
    Years
    Yeah when I was a kid and I was playing my FireRed game I came across a . Me thinking OMG ITS YELLOW... It Must Die! I never did realise it was shiny till i thought over it about a year ago. I almost cried.

Back