• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You look like a fate worse than death.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    What would be worse than death for you to experience? Basically, what do you fear more than dying? inb4 torture, being on fire, etc.

I've learned through personal experience that not only do we live on after we die, but we live better after death. That makes a lot of things worse than death for me, because to me death is a relief from life and suffering... you know, that old chestnut. Luckily perseverance has been my friend and I continue for things like obligation to others, peer acceptance, and all in all trying to live a life my dead self can look back on and be happy about. More than anything I couldn't stand dying without being remembered by many. I have to be remembered, I have to be something. I don't know what drives me to want that, but it's my supreme goal in life to have a genuine love-rooted respect from a lot of people for doing something worthwhile, helpful, contributory... in some way I don't know about, just yet. I'm figuring that out.

So, maybe... dying not being remembered is worse than dying being remembered? I dunno. I stay away from harmful things, and in inescapable predicaments to do with torture, genocide and the like I would seek death. At that point it's just a flag I need to try again in life.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Forced hospitalization comes to mind...seriously, I would sooner be dead than experience this. Having my freedom of movement restricted, having things done to me against my will - regardless of whether or not they'd improve my health; that is immaterial to my fear or my point - is far worse than death to me.

Although to be honest, I think any situation where you're not certain as to whether or not you're going to die would be worse than the actual death. I had this with every exam I ever sat - the anticipation was worse than the actual event; once I got into the exam, I was fine. The suspense is far worse than the event.

Let's say you were kidnapped by terrorists, or something similar. You wouldn't be sure HOW they were going to kill you, or even IF they were going to kill you, and in scenarios like that, your imagination is your own worst enemy: you'd make up one scenario after another, each likely worse than the one that preceeded it, and the state of terror that you'd experience, I think, would be far worse than the death you'd actually experience...after all, once you're dead, you're dead.

...at least, I think you are. I'm not sure. I'm ignorant about what comes after death, as I have no experience with it, and I know of nobody who has. I've read plenty of things about it, but they all contradict one another and I have yet to see anything about it that, to me, would be concrete evidence. Is it the end after we die, or do we somehow live on?

I know death is an event that will happen; what comes after, I'm not certain. It could be that there IS no fate worse than death, as what follows could be an eternity of...well, something. Use your imagination...and see my point about how the anticipation is far worse, as the actual event will be far briefer (unless you're extremely unfortunate, anyway) and perhaps not as bad as you imagined. Life in general could be said to be a fate worse than death if you want to be cynical about it, as life is just the process of dying.

A fate worse than death, then, would be constant uncertainty about the event, knowing only that it is going to happen. Generally speaking.

...and this is my 666th post. Creepy.

Last edited:

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Death itself is an end and isn't always the bad part of it. I'd say that knowing your death was imminent would be worse than the death itself, as the death is implied and suffering is probably involved in it. That said, simply being alive is almost certainly an indicator that you're going to die at some point so by that logic living would be worse than death... and it isn't really, living can be quite nice under the right circumstances.

I'd see death as a mercy if there was no potential way for me to find anything worth living for. Even if I was in a dire situation with the ABILITY to find something worth living for, then I'd at least have that outweighing a potential end to my wonderful game of life. In the instance of a kidnapping, you're either going to be killed on the spot, or tortured. It's best to take the optimal opportunity to escape with a high chance of being killed rather than dragging the affair out and ending up dead. That can be a very frightening leap of faith to take though, and in that case you'd probably opt to wait it out and risk a life of torture and death rather than the potential quick death or chance of escape. #kidnappinggametheory

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Dying really doesn't bother me to begin with. idk how to put into the right words what I find worse than dying without it being read wrong or not making any sense. Death to me is just natural.

Years
    I'd be lying if I said that death doesn't scare me, however, I'm more scared about the pain I may feel. The things I ask myself more is: "is death painful? How much will I suffer?"
    I'm not concerned about what comes after death. I think that it's impossible, at least for me, to know for certain what the afterlife is like. I have made my own ideas about it, which give me enough comfort to be calm, even though they may not be true.

The thing that scares me is to die alone, with no one there to hold your hand or say anything to you. It makes me think that if no one cared to stay at your side in your last moments, no one will ever remember you, and you'll be just one of the many people who have been forgotten. The death of those dear to me also scares me, mainly because I fear loneliness.

I'm also very afraid of forced hospitalization, not being able to do anything...not even to die, being forced to witness the struggles of those who are around me to keep me alive, maybe even unable to understand what's going on around me. Being told that you don't have much more to live is scary, living every day knowing that you may have only a couple more, trying to fix everything that went wrong to avoid regrets.

This is probably one of the topics in which I have the most to say, although I'm not sure how to say it. I have much more thing running into my mind that I can't express in words properly. In general, they're all feelings, conjectures, ideas...It's not death itself that scares me, but everything that comes around or close to it.

Yukari

My close friends and family dying would be worse then dying myself.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Put in a situation with no escape. Being truly alone. I've found in life that most roads there is a recovery path but some simply do not have one, and if I ever found myself in that position I would probably break down.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    Three words: Locked-in syndrome (being completely unable to move or speak, while retaining awareness) .

But the absolute worst thing than death would be, ironically, immortality. Cracked.com has a well-written and frankly depressing article on the subject, but I don't know if posting a direct link to it on this forum would be a good idea :) .

Back