• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your first reaction to shiny Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    "Oooo.. colors."
    Yeah, a pretty bland reaction.. but a pretty exhilarating feeling inside. Oh, and it was a Shiny Spinda on Pokemon Ruby. :|

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    The first time I ever saw a shiny I wasn't aware that shinies even existed... so obviously I was like WTF?! I thought my game was glitching or something. But I realized that a yellow Swablu was very rare, glitch or no glitch, so I tried catching it but failed :c Darn you critical hits...

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    My first shiny was a Bellsprout in Crystal, but I didn't have any weak Pokemon with me to whittle its health down so I accidentally KOed it. :( I felt better when I learned that shiny Pokemon had bad IVs.
    Now shinies are purely for collection purposes, since with RNG abuse anyone can get one for themselves. I don't collect shinies or chain Pokemon, I'm more interested in the Pokemon's IVs.

Years
    I think for a lot of us it was the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage in Gold/Silver. After finding out that it wasn't just a one-off I thought it was kind of cool and comparable to the shinies in the TCG. :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I've never found a shiny, but I'll post my reaction to the odd egg shiny (don't remember Gyarados tbh even though I got that before the odd egg thing...lol). I didn't even know it was a shiny, but I knew the colouring was different...so that's something (nor did I know about any anime shinies...were actually shiny, until Noctowl was mentioned as special).

idk I really want a real shiny.

Years
    The only shiny I ever encountered was the red Gyarados in Heart Gold (I never played any of the Gen II games) and since I'd already known about shinies by then I thought "Oh yay. First shiny is the one that everyone gets."

I guess I don't play the games enough, or I'm terribly unlucky.

Ayselipera

Well I know I was somewhat surprised when encountering the red Gyarados for the first time. I think my next shiny after that was either a Caterpie or a Delibird and having seen the red Gyarados before hand I just figured certain Pokemon were different colors. No excitement from me!

Years
    Well, my first shiny was in I think platinum, I forget which route, but I remember what the route looked like, I forget what the pokemon was, sadly, I think it may have been a bidoof.

My reaction when I see a shiny first is like, "holy crap!" while my heart skips a beat and starts going faster, then I try to catch it.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
    Years
    It Was a Green Gas Tail Ghastly on my firered I was like "OMG (JAW DROPPING) =|_____________________________________________________________|"
    i caught it heck yeah i frigging caught it

then about 1 hour later
    "epic battle music starts"
    A Wild Spearow Appeared
    "=|_________________________________________________________|"
    SHINY WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

then i think i found one more but i cant remember it

and the only shiny i ever caught in sinnoh was a Luminion
    In Canalve i was looking for a staryu
    I was like "OMG HOLY SH *captures*"
    I Did catch it
    i have 5 shinies on platinum 3 from wifi trades 1 from wifi event "SHINY FIN SUICUNE FTW"
    and 1 from canalve fishing "LUMION"

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
    First time I saw a Shiny I freaked out. I thought it was glitch. It was to the point that I googled in "Different colored Pokemon" then shiny Pokemon came up and read it. Lol I thought my game was broken or something.

Gilgαmesh

It was a shiny Linoone back in the third generation games. I thought shiny pokemon were stronger than your average Pokemon, so being the fool that I was(and my Blaziken was out at the time, also), I use Blaze Kick, obviously expecting it to survive and for me to catch my first shiny pokemon ever.

Needless to say, I failed terribly and the Linoone was immediately OHKO'd.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I think I was just walking around, intending to run from yet another Golbat encounter. However, when I noticed the starry animation I was like "OOH! SHINY!"

I didn't know about the actual concept or terminology of Shiny Pokemon, but the streak of sparkles conveyed that something is strange about this Pokemon. I was quite startled at first, and managed to catch the shiny Golbat. I lost the Sapphire Version cartridge containing it, but I remember it fondly! .__.

Your first reaction to shiny Pokémon?

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
    Years
    My first shiny was on my Crystal cartridge a long time ago. In the Ice Path I met a shiny Golbat, panicked, made my pokemon use Rollout and accidentally KO'd it -.- Then about 10 minutes later I met a shiny Geodude between Union Cave and Azalea. I wanted to catch it, but ran out of pokeballs. Sigh.

Just caught a surprise shiny Wingull on Ruby today though. First real shiny!

Aura.Lucario

The Rivers will run red....
    Years
    I was trying to get some special pokemon in the Swarms when I met my first shiny. It was a shiny nosepass. I knew about swarms but not shinies at that time, strange isn't it?

First reaction, "Man that Nosepass sure is ugly." xD

Years
    When I saw a shiny for the first time in pokemon gold,I didn't know what it was,I was choqued.I thought : " Why is this Sneasel pink ?! " First,I thought there was a bug in my Gameboy,but after,I understood it was a shiny when the woman to the Pokemon center said me that.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    I heard about them by the time Ruby/Sapphire got out. I was like "What?!? there are shiny Pokemon and there has been ever since Silver?!?! Wtf I didn't know! Oh... and that explains that weird Gyarados...". I felt stupid :D.

Years
    On Silver way back. I ran into a shiny Weedle, I thought there was something wrong with my game and I ran. Then, at the bug-catching contest, by Goldenrod, I saw a Shiny Pinsir and I yelled, "A SPECIAL PINSIR!!!" I caught it and won. :p

Years
    I never even realised the Red Gyrados WAS a shiny, cause I didn't know what shinies were lol :D I only learned about them when I came on here :embarrass And I've never encountered them in the wild either so that didn't help lol.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
    Depends. My first was a dissatisfying SUNKERN!!! I was not pleased. I felt like it was a wasted encounter. Recently I encountered a shiny Petilil, and was really excited though. It has a really good shiny pallette with blue and pink rather than green and red.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I... still haven't found a shiny, legitimately. BUT I WILL PREVAIL!! /pose

Yeah, I first found out about shinies after I caught that Gyarados in Lake of Rage. I Surfed up past the trees on the right-hand side and there was some guy talking about a pink Butterfree and I spent ages looking for differently colored Pokemon but I never found any... ;D;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back