• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your first reaction to shiny Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
Years
  • What was your first reaction to shiny Pokémon? Me, I can't remeber anymore, sadly :( I also don't know for sure which was my shiny Pokémon - but probably I didn't even know what shinies were ><

Years
  • Well I would first of all either think

A diseased Pokemon, let me catch it and heal it / or / Did that just step in some paint?

I mean come on, how can all shiny Pokemon have the same coloring within each species? Is it like a gene or something that causes them to be the same color, cause it doesn't work that way in genetics.

Rizzy

// Friendship >> Chuck Norris
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    That orange Gyarados from Crystal. I remember I killed him and my older brother that have capture the Gyarados told me that I was dumb for dont capture it. lol.

I was kinda astonish when I saw it. But everytime I saw something from Pokemon for first time it surprised me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    It was something along the lines of "FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

It was before you receive your pokeballs at the beginning of the game.

Nameless.

I thought it was a little odd, but I didn't think much of it at the time to be honest. First encounter was a Shiny Weedle in Silver version. I thought the sparkles were kinda odd, but since the quality of the sprites back then were so low I couldn't see the color difference on Weedle. I ended up fainting it and I found out only years later that it was something called a shiny Pokemon and that it was a 1 in 8000 chance ; thanks to being curious about blue Mew fanarts. I became prettyyyy frustrated. :x Buuuut, soon after Platinum came out I became a chainer and made up for losing that shiny Weedle years ago in the form of boxes of shinies. <3

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The first time I encountered a shiny Pokémon was in Ruby; my first Pokémon game. I remember it was an Absol, and if anyone has seen its shiny form they would know it's not that far off from its normal colors. To be honest, I didn't even know about shinies at the the time, and with the colors not that far off I couldn't even tell much of a difference. I did have the thought behind in the back of my head, something is different about this Absol.

Luckily, I caught it though. Too bad, I started over that save file and lost it later on. XD;

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • "Holy crap I better catch this thing!" I forget what Pokemon it was now, but I do remember that I had somehow found out about shiny Pokemon before I first ran into one.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    In Pokémon Crystal, I remember coming across a random shiny (not the Gyarados at the Lake of Rage, some random Pokémon in some grass somewhere). I had absolutely no knowledge of shinies back then and so it freaked me out when I saw it. I remember being like, "WHY ARE THE COLOURS SO DIFFERENT" and I ran away from battle. I might have thought it was a glitch with the game, haha. Needless to say, when I found out what shinies were years later, I remembered that moment and felt so dumb. XD

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
  • "-3 Pokeballs into the Red Gyarados battle- Huh, I can't catch it... Maybe it's an event battle so you can't catch it!"

Yeaaaah...

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I thought it was a glitch... I swear I thought it was a glitch. I was very unhappy with all those purple wurmples. :/

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Ahh I remember my first Pokemon like it was yesterday, not including the Red Gyarados. It was a foggy day in Mt. Coronet, so with my trusty bird Pokemon I defogged the area and it was all clear. All of a sudden, I ran into a Golbat and wondered to myself, "OMG OMG OMG SHINY!" and proceeded to catch it. Weavile was sent out to weaken slightly with it's crappy Cut and Slash, and I thought "Oh crap, I may actually kill it!" but I didn't, and I eventually caught it. :D

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Oh look just a other regular poke Wait THATS SHINY OMG!

Years
  • I'm going to take what would be a boring post and turn it into something both creative and spectacular!
    -----------------
    SCENE I. Pokemon Crystal, Route Something, 2001. A Shiny Tyrogue has just hatched from a young Kirbychu's Day-care egg. Kirbychu has never met a Tyrogue before or any shiny Pokemon before.

Kirbychu:
    Wow, this Pokemon is cool!

SCENE II. Pokemon Crystal, Route Something, 2001. Kirbychu's Tyrogue evolves.

Kirbychu:
    A blue Hitmonlee? I thought they were suppose to be brown...

SCENE III. Pokemon Crystal, Lake of Rage, 2002. Kirbychu has just met the dastardly Red Gyarados.

Kirbychu:
    What the- Why the heck are these Pokemon the wrong color?!

SCENE IV. Pokemon Crystal, Route 31, 2002. Kirbychu is headbutting trees in search of more discolored Pokemon. He eventually stumbles across an orange Hoothoot.

Kirbychu: Gotta catch em' all! :D

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was freaked out when I saw that brown Sableye in Sapphire. I didn't know how valuable shiny Pokemon were, so I ran from it.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    My first shiny... Groudon (I kid you not). And being the idiotic youngin' I was, I killed it. But immediately after the battle, I googled "gold groudon" and read a few links... So I'm guessing my first reaction to a shiny was "hmm?" but my first REAL reaction was... FML. It's okay though, because I caught a shiny golbat on that same save file a while later :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    Wow, this must be rare! That was my first impression when I first caught/saw a shiny Pokemon.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • Ah my first time catching a Shiny was actually in Pokemon Black and White. I was just strolling around until I found myself another Sandile that I already have. I wasn't going to catch it but then I noticed it sparkled. At first "It just sparkled..........OH MY GOSH IT'S A SHINY!" And now that's how I usually react when I see a shiny.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back