• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on school uniforms

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    So, what is your opinion on school uniforms? Do you think they are necessary/needed? How do you think clothing plays a part in education? Also, relating to the subject at hand, do you think it's fair that some schools enforce the rule of "no bizarre hairstyles/hair colours etc etc."?

On the good side of wearing a school uniform, it can maintain a level of social equality among the students and therefore, people will judge less. They will feel like they 'fit in' among their peers as they are all wearing near enough the same thing. Students will be less preoccupied with fashion and what their peers are wearing. The extent of distraction (in terms of attraction) is also considerably reduced. Let's face it that some people can get distracted by others wearing inappropriate clothing (should they decide to wear clothes like that). Wearing a school uniform will distract people less and allow them to continue working. Also, you can't really tell if someone is rich or poor, and no one will get teased about their 'desinger clothing'.

However, in my opinion, I think we should be able to wear what we please to school. It doesn't allow us to express ourselves freely, to show what we like to wear, to show off our favourite peice of clothing, to show who we are. What makes us, us. In saying that, people will be more likely to judge/sterotype people for what they are dressed in (such as designer labels, etc etc), or for their hairstyle/hair colour. It can also get quite boring; wearing the same thing day in and day out (apart from saturdays and sundays of course). Also money comes into this, people will save a few pounds/whatever currency they use from not buying their children uniforms every year.

Also, I believe this is best for OC. As it's more of a disscussion topic than anything.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    School uniforms are fun and all for anime and manga...but in real life, I am against it. It's fun to wear what you want and be an individual. I especially hate schools that say you can't wear certain hairstyles and stuff...what is this North Korea?

And here's the other thing...popular kids will be popular kids regardless of uniforms. I'm sorry, but there's more to being a jock or the band geek or the popular kid than just clothes. People are always placed into categories and will be judged and so on no matter what. Uniforms don't help that in my opinion.

Say you're super rich...you think we're not going to know even if you have the uniform on? Come on. People talk and the uniform is a cover up for something that already exists. Ehhh...not for me.

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
    My school has uniforms. They're dreadful. I would be OK with them, if they didn't look so ugly. I want a cute uniform, like I see in anime.:pink_cry:

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    School uniforms are an odd subject for me because I like and dislike them. I love the P.E uniform we get, but unfortunately the summer and winter uniform with the whole "tuck your shirt in" rule and the itchy pants don't go well with me.

However, it's good to have every kid wearing the same thing because in schools that allow people to wear their own clothes, bullying is usually an issue. Whenever we have casual clothes day, I always see kids getting picked on because they're wearing something "emo" or "colourful" or something else that someone doesn't agree with.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Meh, I can see the pros and cons with them.

As has been mentioned, with everyone wearing the same thing nobody gets singled out and picked on because of what they're wearing. But then at the same time uniforms are uncomfortable and often quite ugly.

I didn't mind mine too much tbh, it was pretty much your standard school uniform so I didn't really care one way or the other. I saw schools nearby with far worse uniforms than ours so I guess I was quite thankful ours was plain.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Catholic school uniforms and similar ones are hot...... XD

It makes it easier for the school staff to enforce the dress code, as some things can be distracting. However, it also makes it so someone could easily blend in with a crowd if they do something to get in trouble, and it might be difficult to recognize specific people.

It also makes it so it is more difficult for people to learn someone's interests at first glance, so it's tough on the people that are more socially awkward to make friends by similar interests.

Overall, I don't think it benefits everyone that much to have uniforms, especially for the reason stated above, which is the cost of buying new uniforms along with regular clothes every year, as they will just grow out of them.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I can't emphasize how much I hate school uniforms. I swear I'd rip off my hair having the wear the exact same freaking thing every day if it's not gone by then due to some other code on hair style.

School uniforms are not the answer. Maybe the pose a little psychological impact that may benefit the student, but in the long run the purposes of uniforms are all BS. Every person can express their individuality with what they wear. It makes it easier to tell people apart. For in the case of me and the school Calculus teacher, it allows us to express our love for math with my Pi and my XYZ heart shirt and the teacher's many shirts on limits and calculus. It allows me, after many years of experience, to tell which girls are intelligent, matching, and good.

Uniforms are a big waste. If you want to raise the discipline of your students, hire stricter teachers or stop doing damn sports. By cutting back on sports, you can afford the technology for education. My school didn't make it to the Top 20 in America because of the pretty secretaries!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I think that school uniforms are meant to symbolize people's pride of their school. But at the same time, I think they're restricting because we don't get much freedom on what we wear.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Adding on to what I previously stated, I don't understand why some schools get so uptight about their uniform. My school only allows white sneakers for P.E and you're not allowed to paint your nails any colour other than white or black, and you're not allowed long hair. It's just like, what.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I say leave it up to individual school districts to decide whether uniforms are required. But if they choose to go that route, there should be some sort of way that low income students can get a free or discounted uniform.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I don't like them, it makes me look fat. :(

But seriously though, even if we weren't forced to wear a freakin' white uniform I'd still be wearing a white T-shirt to school everyday. >_<

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I hate school uniforms are stupied. I think you should be able to wear whatever you want as long as it fallows the dress code.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Our school makes us wear uniforms. I really don't have anything against it; I'm pretty content with the uniform we are made to wear. Our uniform is pretty cool, I suppose. XD; But, I don't think that they're a necessity, and have no effect on education, even if they're to be omitted. Our school doesn't let boys have long hair, let alone hair color.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    Hair color rules are just stupid.

No one cares if a guy has white hair. It's when a teacher has a cow over it is what's distracting. Take away the rule, and it wont be a distraction.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    However, it's good to have every kid wearing the same thing because in schools that allow people to wear their own clothes, bullying is usually an issue. Whenever we have casual clothes day, I always see kids getting picked on because they're wearing something "emo" or "colourful" or something else that someone doesn't agree with.
    Ugh, yeah, this.
    Pretty sad that kids these days aren't even mature enough to handle the fact that someone wears clothes that are different. *shock* *gasp* someone is wearing clothes that aren't cool, what a terrible thing. Once kids start learning that clothes don't really matter that much, then they will be mature enough to wear what they want without there being any ridiculous problems.

But once they learn that clothes don't really matter, they probably won't care too much about school uniforms. So at that point, there isn't even anything that needs changing.

School uniforms should stay I think. People are expected people to wear certain clothes in the workplace, I don't see why school should be any different. Might as well get used to the fact that designated clothes = workplace/school, casual clothes = spare time.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    I have never heard someone at the three schools I have went to get picked on for their clothes. Never. (This is talking about high school)

I just think that only happens..or mostly happens to kids when they're used to wearing uniforms all the time.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2023
    by my schooltime, we had uniforms, i've never disliked it, understanding the reasons for it (first of all, avoiding school-crushes, as it's a religious school)
    the only problem, in fact, was the chosen uniform: a shirt with the logo of school, and jeans. The problem is that shirt was very_hot, and i live at a tropical city, which means we were sweating all day long

now, in college, i kinda miss it, on the other hand...

butterbiscuit

Potential!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2013
    My school doesn't not force you to wear a uniform, but they do have restrictions on what you can wear. You can't wear anything with skulls and such on them and that kind of thing. If you do, you face punishment.

I think that's a pretty good system.

Back