• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on school uniforms

Years
    Despite what all of you say, I like uniforms, but I find them useless. I mean, why would they do that? Is it for tracking students, or for activities? Because I don't get it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Honestly, I don't mind uniforms as they do help cut back on the teasing and such. In Middle School, I had to put up with uniforms for the most part...they even had a "No Logo" rule, meaning that you were required to buy pants and shirts without brand logos because there were stupid kids teasing others for not wearing a certain brand.

Still, I think if a school dictates that you must wear a uniform, then they must give the student reasonable freedom of accessories, hair, makeup and such. This includes both genders as well, not just for the girls. This means while it's perfectly fine to ban unnatural hair colors, White is not unnatural, it's outrageous to have rules regulating what colors of nail polish anyone can wear, or have rules regarding who can wear certain accessories or have piercings. It's fine to ban certain piercings outright, but this ban must be a blanket ban, and not imposed on one gender. A good example is eyebrow or lip piercings. Naturally it's unfair to ban piercings which can be concealed by the clothing as well, but those are uncommon.

Still, I think it's possible to enforce uniforms and institute fair restrictions on what people may wear in addition to their school uniform.

Additionally I feel that the school should offer uniforms for sale of all sizes that exactly match dress code specifications, or provide exact brand/store locations on where to find clothes that meet those specs.

Zet

Years
    Despite what all of you say, I like uniforms, but I find them useless. I mean, why would they do that? Is it for tracking students, or for activities? Because I don't get it.

Yeah it's pretty much to track them and know if the student belongs to school x. It's also needed so people from a different school can't freely walk in and stab someone.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
    Okay well I've had this topic in class so many times you wouldn't believe. I'm going to keep it short and simple I believe they are good to an extent they are beneficial in elementary because well it cuts time in the morning for kids who really don't have to dress to impress anybody. As soon as you hit middle school its better for a dress code like no unappropriated clothing or stuff like that. But when you kids hit high school like me -.- its not necessary i think some kids are mature enough to know what or not to wear. So yeah thats basically it :D

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    No, seriously, I'd rather go to school naked than wear uniform. Don't let the man put you down! Fight the power!

.. Seriously. Uniforms are cool and fashionable in mangas, but I can't really see myself wearing the same thing everyday. If my school does make us wear uniform, then it better be something like khaki pants and maybe a dress shirt. We can even wear a sweater vest over the dress shirt with our mascot stitched onto it. The students in J.R.O.T.C. are already wearing their uniform every Monday, so maybe we can also wear uniforms on that day as well. That way, everyone gets to go through it on the same day and doesn't have to do it again till next week.

Most likely, we would be wearing anything blue and orange, as that's our school's colors. I can only see people wearing uniforms when they go to rich, private schools. Oh, and those schools are always indoor ones; my school is outdoor. School uniforms would be so terrible for our school, as we are always outside, unless if they provide jackets and coats for us.

I don't think that uniforms will help much with the bullying. People will always bully each other regardless of clothing. There will always be the popular group, and the unpopular ones. It will always be that way. It's just how it's always is.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Uniforms will have minimal effect on bullies. The only use I can see is it would help you pick out someone in a crows who isn't supposed to be there.

The whole no crazy hair rule is ridiculous, because they are now dictating how you live your life outside of school. If they want to give you rules during school, then they can. Out of it, I don't think so.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I remember my school uniform in primary school, yellow on top, brown on pants/skirt. Not too appealing, but hey, it didn't look as bad as other schools. I liked it, for the most part, except the pants just looked terrible in brown. I know the skirt looked nice in brown, so that's why I didn't completely hate it, plus back then we couldn't really object to anything, lol. Though, a few years after we graduated, I know they changed the top half to green and... it looks terrible-- oh and I remember when there were factions. During the school carnivals, we had to wear the colours of the faction we were in. I don't know how they worked out the factions, actually, because they were so random. I know I was in the red faction though. Oh, haha and at lunch we used to have to sit in the area where everyone else in our faction sat, which I didn't really like the idea of. Either way, that was our two uniforms during primary school. I think that was okay in primary school, because it allowed us to grow up, by conforming in a way, which I think is fine for children, due to them having so much freedom and the sorts, that they need to be brought into line... I... dunno, I'm unsure, but I think that uniforms at primary school are perfectly okay and are a part of growing up.

As for uniforms in high school, I like it, in a way, but then I don't. I remember our uniform in year 8 and 9 was blue top with pants being just black, which wasn't that bad. Once we got into year 10, they changed it, so that they were left with these collared shirts, which looked worse than what we had, but... what we had was immature, in a way, so I guess they were better off. Oh well, either way, when we got into year 10, I completely hated the school uniform, which was a grey top and black pants, which in a way was meant to make everyone similar to eachother because of the dull grey colour. I also remember our sports shirt was red, so anyone could wear any top as long as it was red, which allowed for creativity and students were more active then, which suited the fact that it was sports. In year 12 though, I recall once we got our leavers jackets, that students just wore white shirts underneath and then got away with just wearing the jacket. It sucked in a way, because in summer all they could wear was the jacket without the teachers finding out. If they wanted to properly identify us, they could have let us wear whatever we wanted underneath the jackets, then the actual jackets, because they did have the name of our school on it. Though omg, the jackets themselves, we got to design them and one design everyone just agreed on. I think overall though, having a uniform was fine in high school, because then we knew once we went to uni or something, we could wear whatever.

Now I go to uni and I miss uniforms. But then again, I like wearing my own clothes... tough! Either way, I think uniforms are necessary in the earlier years, though once it reaches university (or tertiary education), everyone is mature enough to be fine with what everyone else wears and if they're not, then they shouldn't be there.

La Denryu

WITTY CAPTION
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    My school requires a uniform. Not a very nice uniform, but it's better than some. I'd rather have an unflattering school sweatshirt than a ridiculously long skirt, like some schools in my country do.

A lot of people don't particularly like it- including me. But I guess it takes the pressure off having to choose an outfit every day, although you can wear normal clothing in my school in Year 13 (Grade 12)
    I think the purpose of a uniform is to stop people from being embarassed about their clothes and being bullied- especially if somebody's family is on a tight budget, and can't afford "stylish" clothing.

However, uniforms suck because of how the teachers enforced the dress code. There's the deputy principal who only seems to appear when I have long sleeved shirts under my blouse, while girls walk around looking like they forgot to put their skirts on, and nobody bats an eye.

Meh, at least I have one term to go until I can wear my own clothes *snickers*

monkeyandhead

I didn't train to be a Pilot.
    Years
    To be honest it has upsides and downsides. The uniforms are great, not only because it means we are representing the school, but the school sort of represents us. You don't get the same feeling if your wearing everyday clothes verses wearing a school uniform. It kinda enforces that you are someone who is at school, I don't think I'd feel the same obligations if I had everyday clothes on during a class. The only downside is that some uniforms are a bit tacky, but fortunately for me, mines not too bad, only problem is it isn't that great to play football (soccer) in.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    I love them, for the fact there is no hassle in the morning trying to decide what to wear (which is such a problem for me!)

The Red Chain

I only have two problems with school uniforms. The fact that you have to spend extra money on them, and how annoying they are if you have PE. It's a bit annoying when you have a closet full of clothes and you're assigned uniforms. It's just more money to spend on clothes you'll wear for a couple years only to be trash-bound later on. I'm not one to say it's worth it in the long run, as it isn't to me.

Then PE! If you're in middle school or up, you're assigned to wear gym clothes during class, so you change during the class period. Once in the beginning, again at the end. The annoying part is that when you're in a hurry at the end of class to change, you don't want to take the time to tuck in your shirt cause you'll just be late. Of course if you don't tuck it in you will get in trouble. It's unbelievably irritating, and I've been cutting near late so many times because of it.

The pros have been said by many people already. The thing I enjoy most is lack of bullying. The equality helps, but not always.

In conclusion, I find uniforms to be far too hyped as "education-necessary" tools.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    Overall, I don't think it benefits everyone that much to have uniforms, especially for the reason stated above, which is the cost of buying new uniforms along with regular clothes every year, as they will just grow out of them.
    Exactly. I mean, once they do grow out of their uniform from a year or two before, what are they gonna do with them? They could of course give them to a younger sibling, but if they had no siblings? They may as well burn their smaller uniform as it is of no use anymore.

Uniforms are a big waste. If you want to raise the discipline of your students, hire stricter teachers or stop doing damn sports. By cutting back on sports, you can afford the technology for education. My school didn't make it to the Top 20 in America because of the pretty secretaries!
    I wouldn't say that uniforms are entirely a big waste. However, I do agree that if schools want to raise discipline, they need to get stricter staff and get the job done.

Hair color rules are just stupid.

No one cares if a guy has white hair. It's when a teacher has a cow over it is what's distracting. Take away the rule, and it wont be a distraction.
    Well, if a guy had white hair, it would be somewhat distracting... they may not care he has white hair, but they may think it's cool and stare at him and not continue with their work. Just saying since I've witnessed this before in my old school. P:

School uniforms should stay I think. People are expected people to wear certain clothes in the workplace, I don't see why school should be any different. Might as well get used to the fact that designated clothes = workplace/school, casual clothes = spare time.
    School and work are a little bit different in my opinion... because everyone at work is more mature, they wouldn't really judge their colleages based on if they had the choice to wear what they wanted to or not. But hey, I know that some people regardless of age still do judge.

Im fine with them. Uniform is just easier for teachers to find you if youre lost. XD
    But wouldn't wearing your own clothes make you stand out more and therefor be easier to spot by teachers if you get lost? xD; I understand that outside of school, that may be a little bit harder.

My school doesn't not force you to wear a uniform, but they do have restrictions on what you can wear. You can't wear anything with skulls and such on them and that kind of thing. If you do, you face punishment.

I think that's a pretty good system.
    Hmm. That does sound like a good system to me. It'd be nice if all schools had that sort of system.

The whole no crazy hair rule is ridiculous, because they are now dictating how you live your life outside of school. If they want to give you rules during school, then they can. Out of it, I don't think so.
    Never really thought about it from 'your personal life' point of view... but you have a good point there. We should be able to dye our hair any colour we please as it's our own life.. but then again comes the 'distraction from work' thing.

Then PE! If you're in middle school or up, you're assigned to wear gym clothes during class, so you change during the class period. Once in the beginning, again at the end. The annoying part is that when you're in a hurry at the end of class to change, you don't want to take the time to tuck in your shirt cause you'll just be late. Of course if you don't tuck it in you will get in trouble. It's unbelievably irritating, and I've been cutting near late so many times because of it.
    Yeah, I never really understood having a change of clothes for PE. :/ You could just as easily run around in your uniform or regular clothing. Unless it was too warm or something.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Never had school uniforms. Closest I've had to uniforms is band uniforms, which that at least has a reason that goes behind marching band tradition. Anyway, I think it's stripping individuality, those naughty uniforms. The only good thing about school uniforms is that they usually look cute on girls...if we're talking the plaid skirts and such. But if the uniforms have a nice blazer, then they look good on guys too. But even still, I don't see the point in caring what someone wears to school. My high school found it "distracting" to wear certain things and have certain colors in your hair. What I find "distracting" is the large stomach protruding from young ladies' torsos, if you catch my drift. And also, not to sound rude or racist or go off topic, but it is in the discussion of uniforms/dress code, but the black girls that had red, purple, etc. in their hair would never get in trouble. A white girl with one strand would get sent home immediately. And if any guys wanted to wear bright colored skinny jeans, they were sent home as well. Thanks for the discrimination, OHS. Thank you so much. But basically, I don't like uniforms.

I'd prefer not to say anything more than that. I'm done here, lol.

Years
    School uniforms=social equality? Pfft, I haven't seen people being picked on for a clothing-related reason other than wearing the same stuff all the time (and that only because it implies a lack of hygiene) for ages. Where I live, these extreme social differences shown by clothing do not exist within the schools, but between the various school forms (after elementary school, the system splits up into three branches). People visiting the lowest of these school forms have their own stereotypes, and they are relatively true (of course, there are exceptions). Would uniforms really change that? Well, it would change their common "gangster"-style into a more formal-looking one, but they would still be immediately recognizable by anyone knowing which uniforms belongs to which school...or just their behavior.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    In anime the girls always get the cutest uniforms xD

I've never been required to wear a school uniform. With that said...

I like the idea, but in some cases, not the execution. For example, if the school wants us to wear them, they should buy them, not chalk it up as another expense we're required to incur. Second, and this might be implemented in some schools, I want a variant with shorts to wear on the hotter days at school (August/September and May/June). But really, it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation in deciding what to wear every day. I would just be worried that they would be too uncomfortable and too costly.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I don't really like the idea of school uniforms, seeing as you'll have to wear the same thing everyday. But, it would eliminate discrimination and such.

Detox

The main reasons schools here enforce the uniform policy is to not distract children from their academics and such. They also say that they help keep kids from "bullying or harassing" another student because of what he or she wears.

But mine doesn't have it sooooo thats sorta cool.

Back