• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerme

stupid
Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    I know people have wanted a pure Dragon line for ages, but Ononokusu's typing is greatly disappointing to me. It should have been Bug/Dragon; it looks perfect for it, as did Flygon, so that's now twice in a row when GF has had the perfect chance to make that epic combination happen, and instead it makes an un-epic one. :\ Sure, Kibago and its evo don't look very bug-like, but Ononokusu definitely does (praying mantis, anyone?) Yes, a Bug typing would have made it weak to Rock and Flying in addition to Ice and Dragon, but it gains two epic resistances (Ground and Fighting) plus it'd just be amazing. True, it would make Hydragon weak to his Bug attacks, but come on, Hydragon is epic; he's not gonna fall out of disuse because of just another Dragon. xD Not to mention they have more or less the same speed, and Ono's weak spDef can easily be targeted by Hydragon's great spAtt.

it really doesnt look like a mantis compared to scyther, it looks straight-up lizard to me...but something does yell out "bug" for some reason.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I know people have wanted a pure Dragon line for ages, but Ononokusu's typing is greatly disappointing to me. It should have been Bug/Dragon; it looks perfect for it, as did Flygon, so that's now twice in a row when GF has had the perfect chance to make that epic combination happen, and instead it makes an un-epic one. :\ Sure, Kibago and its evo don't look very bug-like, but Ononokusu definitely does (praying mantis, anyone?) Yes, a Bug typing would have made it weak to Rock and Flying in addition to Ice and Dragon, but it gains two epic resistances (Ground and Fighting) plus it'd just be amazing. True, it would make Hydragon weak to his Bug attacks, but come on, Hydragon is epic; he's not gonna fall out of disuse because of just another Dragon. xD Not to mention they have more or less the same speed, and Ono's weak spDef can easily be targeted by Hydragon's great spAtt.

Yeah, it looks more like a bug-lizard hybrid, just not reminiscent of a praying mantis IMO. But yeah, we need a Bug/Dragon Pokemon soon enough... Flygon would have been excellent but it didn't pan out...
    I also wanted a Levitating Bug/Dragon Yanmega and that didn't work out either...
    Then the vicious Ononokusu comes along and ends up being pure Dragon-type instead...
    I'm glad that we finally get a usable pure Dragon-type, but Ononokusu practically screams Bug-type as well... Three great opportunities passed up for such an epic type combination... :( Well, I hope we can actually get a Bug/Dragon that looks as insectoid, draconic, and vicious as Ononokusu does...

Anyway, to reference Ononokusu's "Bug" attribute, I'm teaching mine X-Scissor along the line, along with Dragon Claw, Swords Dance, and Earthquake. At least it'll benefit from Ononokusu's high Attack stat and deal some damage against a few types...

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • it really doesnt look like a mantis compared to scyther, it looks straight-up lizard to me...but something does yell out "bug" for some reason.

I dont think it looks that much like a bug. It really does look like a lizard, so it doens't bother me in the slightest that it isn't bug, I think that its current typing suits it more (not strategically, but design wise) it looks more like a reptile. But I think it makes people think "BUG" because of its colouration.

Umbrella

Rihanna's The Queen, You Mad?
    Years
  • I thought it was a strange mustard colored bug when I first saw it. Actually, it still looks like a mustard colored bug.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    what about that other pure dragon, is it any good as pure dragon?
    Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Years
  • what about that other pure dragon, is it any good as pure dragon?

This one? ^

Well compared to Ononokusu and Sazandoraa, no. Its thoroughly outclassed in terms of Stats and move pool. Think of it as a Gen V. Altaria, it just doesn't compare to the other dragons in its generation. :/

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• This one? ^

Well compared to Ononokusu and Sazandoraa, no. Its thoroughly outclassed in terms of Stats and move pool. Think of it as a Gen V. Altaria, it just doesn't compare to the other dragons in its generation. :/

Aww...he looks decent, though. Although I heard his speed is abysmal, with Choice Scarf hardly helping in the matter... But his abilities seem usable (shiny sprite looks very goofy...).

But I am really getting annoyed by all the Pokemon that have been utilizing the blue-red color scheme lately. And we have yet another Dragon-type Pokemon that adopts the scheme... I don't know; the repetition of this particular color scheme really irks me. On several Pokemon it is utilized well (Salamence, Garchomp, Lati@s, Kyogre, Swellow, Vileplume) but on others it seems boring, forced, and overused (Probopass to an extent, Sazando, Kurimugan)...

I would have preferred it if Kurimugan featured black instead within its coloration, as we have few black Dragon-types (aside from Zekrom, Giratina, and the shiny variants of Charizard {which is only Dragon-like} and Rayquaza).

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • what about that other pure dragon, is it any good as pure dragon?

Nooope. There is one reason for this, and one reason only (hint: it's a stat).

Let's analyse the speed of every Dragon Pokemon ever:

80, 85, 90, 95, 97, 98, 100, 102, 110 vs 48

Altaria & Dragonite sit at the lowest (80), followed by Kingdra's 85 (doubled when SS activates, and Rain is going to be more common this gen, so take note of this), then we have four legends with 90 speed (Dialga, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom) and two slightly faster legends (Rayquaza, Kyurem) with 95 speed. Our two non-legend dragons this gen (Ononokusu & Hydragon) are slightly faster with 97 and 98 respectively, and then we have Flygon, Salamance and Palkia with 100 speed. Finally, we have the three fastest Dragons of all time with 102 (Garchomp) and 110 (Lati@s).

"WHAT DOES THIS MEANNNN???"

It means Kurimugan is the first NU Dragon of all time. 77/90/90 defenses aren't gonna cut it; even Altaria outclasses this thing, which is just sad.

WHEN ALTARIA OUTCLASSES YOU, YOU KNOW IT IN YOUR HEART YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG AS A DRAGON. If played right, Altaria can beat this thing, and despite her craptastic offenses, only a fool would choose Kurimugan over Altaria to use in the lower tiers.

I feel so bad for this thing (GF hates it), I can't even express myself properly. Its attack doesn't mean a thing and neither does its defenses; if you're going to be the slowest Dragon OF ALL TIME, you need to have Giratina-esque defenses or you'll be outclassed, outsped and killed by every other Dragon plus anything packing Ice Beam or strong Ice moves, like Skill Link Icicle Spear Cloyster (which WILL kill this thing because it's faster, and Icicle Spear is a dangerously powerful move when used by Cloyster, period).

"Well, there must be something it can do...?"

XD No. At least Altaria has Natural Cure/Cloud Nine, bulk and access to Dragon Dance which works well with said bulk, but this thing can't Dragon Dance, its abilities are meh, and yes, if it hits you, it'll put a dent for sure (120 Attack is great, although almost every other Dragon has it better) but that'll be about it. It will get hit hard, dish out one hit, then get killed.

I don't even hate it; I don't hate any Dragon Pokemon as of date, although most of them definitely don't interest me. But the thing that gets me is just how not good this thing is. It may not be bad compared to Delcatty, but by Dragon standards, this thing is a joke, an abomination, a one leg one arm soldier. XD If those 90 defenses were on his HP and Speed respectively instead of its defenses, it'd have a chance, but as it is? Hell no. XD

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I pretty much agree with everything Devil Flamingo said...

I always figured that Dragon type Pokemon were suppose to be top class, all generally powerful creatures. But that thing just doesn't seem to serve any purpose, especially in comparison to any of the other Dragon type Pokemon. If it had been anything other than a Dragon type, I doubt it'd be getting this kind of treatment from the fanbase, and it would be a generally "OK" Pokemon. What I'm saying is that I really just don't see the point of having made a brand new, basic Dragon type Pokemon, and have it be weak to every other one of the same type.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

• Nooope. There is one reason for this, and one reason only (hint: it's a stat).

Let's analyse the speed of every Dragon Pokemon ever:

80, 85, 90, 95, 97, 98, 100, 102, 110 vs 48

Altaria & Dragonite sit at the lowest (80), followed by Kingdra's 85 (doubled when SS activates, and Rain is going to be more common this gen, so take note of this), then we have four legends with 90 speed (Dialga, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom) and two slightly faster legends (Rayquaza, Kyurem) with 95 speed. Our two non-legend dragons this gen (Ononokusu & Hydragon) are slightly faster with 97 and 98 respectively, and then we have Flygon, Salamance and Palkia with 100 speed. Finally, we have the three fastest Dragons of all time with 102 (Garchomp) and 110 (Lati@s).

"WHAT DOES THIS MEANNNN???"

[S-HIGHLIGHT]It means Kurimugan is the first NU Dragon of all time.[/S-HIGHLIGHT] 77/90/90 defenses aren't gonna cut it; even Altaria outclasses this thing, which is just sad.

[S-HIGHLIGHT]WHEN ALTARIA OUTCLASSES YOU, YOU KNOW IT IN YOUR HEART YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG AS A DRAGON. [/S-HIGHLIGHT]If played right, Altaria can beat this thing, and despite her craptastic offenses, only a fool would choose Kurimugan over Altaria to use in the lower tiers.

I feel so bad for this thing (GF hates it), I can't even express myself properly. Its attack doesn't mean a thing and neither does its defenses; if you're going to be the slowest Dragon OF ALL TIME, you need to have Giratina-esque defenses or you'll be outclassed, outsped and killed by every other Dragon plus anything packing Ice Beam or strong Ice moves, like Skill Link Icicle Spear Cloyster (which WILL kill this thing because it's faster, and Icicle Spear is a dangerously powerful move when used by Cloyster, period).

"Well, there must be something it can do...?"

XD No. At least Altaria has Natural Cure/Cloud Nine, bulk and access to Dragon Dance which works well with said bulk, but this thing can't Dragon Dance, its abilities are meh, and yes, if it hits you, it'll put a dent for sure (120 Attack is great, although almost every other Dragon has it better) but that'll be about it. It will get hit hard, dish out one hit, then get killed.

I don't even hate it; I don't hate any Dragon Pokemon as of date, although most of them definitely don't interest me. But the thing that gets me is just how not good this thing is. It may not be bad compared to Delcatty, but by Dragon standards, this thing is a joke, an abomination, a one leg one arm soldier. XD If those 90 defenses were on his HP and Speed respectively instead of its defenses, it'd have a chance, but as it is? Hell no. XD

The highlighted parts made me sympathetic with Kurimugan's plight... This quote especially hit hard:

"WHEN ALTARIA OUTCLASSES YOU, YOU KNOW IT IN YOUR HEART YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG AS A DRAGON."

Normally, when you hear the term "DRAGON," you think you have something very powerful in your hands...but this Dragon can't even compete well with its Dragon-type brethren, not to mention Altaria. :cer_cry: Even non-Dragon-type draconic Pokemon (i.e., Charizard, Gyarados) fare better than this guy, who seems to struggle living up to the expectations of its type...

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
  • Kurimugen is the only dragon I would consider using. I typically don't like dragon Pokemon, aside from Dragonair, I think their designs are incredibly boring. Kurimugen just looks awesome, I can't wait to catch one.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021

I will be using this. I love it's competitive abilities. It's my favorite Pokemon so far to use Boiling Water in a moveset. It's shiny form gives it that Ghost-Type feel too.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Yeah, at least with Altaria, my justification is, "Well, it's a bird with dragon genes, so not a full-fledged dragon, so its stats kinda make sense despite her typing as she's more like Pidgeot and less like Salamence, you know? Besides, if GF did things right, she'd be Flying/Dragon, not Dragon/Flying; idk about others but in my head Altaria is primarily a bird pogey.

There is no excuse for this thing, though. It's unevolved but so what? It doesn't look weak to me, so why the lame speed? Its stats are fine, but that speed is really not. If it needs thermals in order to fly (like raptors, I can see dragons needing those if they existed), then why not give it a Dragon-like version of Chlorophyll? Something, anything, to fix that crippling speed.

And the other issue is, how are you going to compete with it? Ursaring is one slow mofo, but not every Normal type has Ursaring's insane attack stat plus Guts, right? So actually Ursaring is a fine choice for a Normal type. But with Kuri, there is always going to be comparison between him and his fellow dragons.

You could argue Altaria gets compared all the time too, but the thing is, people find different uses for her. Natural Cure + Rest works wonders, as does Cloud Nine with Roost, and Dragon Dance works well in sync with EQ and Outrage. No Dragon has Natural Cure except her, and only Rayquaza, who is banned to Ubers, is immune to the effects of weather. So while Altaria has craptastic offenses for a Dragon, it's far from useless; she has a set of traits (including her looks) that makes her unique.

But people will not be so lenient with Kurimugan; even if our new Dragons are all banned to Ubers, that still doesn't mean Kurimugan can be used in OU where you've got everyone and their grandma packing Ice moves or otherwise super-powerful moves that will shut this thing down before it can do anything.

I really wish GF had to stopped to THINK for just one second on this one; some people may like this dragon and use it, but if you think most people are not going to go, "Hmmm, should I use Kurimugan, or should I use Dragonite, Flygon, Garchomp, Hydragon, Kingdra, Ononokusu, Salamence...?" How is that even a contest? It even gets Mold Breaker via DW, but Ononokusu already has that ability, so who's NOT going to say, "lol Kurimugan is just a bad Ononokusu". XD

It is not all hopeless if you like Kurimugan, however. There is such a thing as Trick Room which you can have Slowbro set up (I say Slowbro because he finds Ice attacks laughable, and Kurimugan resists Grass and Electric, plus has Crunch to deal with any Ghost that pesters Slowbro, plus Superpower for Dark types), or else you can switch Kuri into something that won't kill it, and use Glare on the foe (or the incoming pogey; works better than Thunder Wave 'cause Glare (yep! it gets Glare!) will paralyse anything without Limber) then proceed to hit stuff.

tl;dr - Kurimugan is not a bad Pokemon, just a bad dragon. I still don't like his design, though; I'm sticking to Altaria (in UU), Kingdra (in OU) and Reshiram (in Ubers) plz. :D

I don't know why Adeku has a Kurimugan (hey, it must be one proud Kuri, getting used by the champ) but my guessing is that if Adeku was real he'd obviously be a highly skilled trainer, and I've seen people win battles with anything from Skitty to Vespiquen, and Kuri is by far more usable than either one of those; after all, it's skills, and not the Pokemon, what really makes a trainer.

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Devil Flamingo, i love reading your posts, and i agree, Kurimugan isnt at all bad. I thin he was made aesthetically though rather than for serious business.

Years
  • Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

I will be using this. I love it's competitive abilities. It's my favorite Pokemon so far to use Boiling Water in a moveset. It's shiny form gives it that Ghost-Type feel too.

I actually plan on getting/using both forms, because it's such a great Pokemon. I'm thoroughly impressed with the crop of Ghost Pokemon we got this generation. xD

Doctor Who

Saving the earth with a bowtie
    Years
  • I think the B/W pokemon could use some slack, there's a lot of them I really like (Desukan FTW) but I'll admit that there's a few of which I'm wondering what the creators were thinking, but it's different, and different isn't always bad.

Plus more Monkey pokes >.<

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • I dont have any least favourites, but my favourites are definitely the three fire,water and grass monkeys. THEY ARE ADORABLEEEEE! XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back