• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your Pokémon Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Ehhhhhh? I'm not gonna bother typing all those attacks.... :(
    ~Venusaur
    ~Umbreon
    ~Metagross
    ~Ampharos
    ~Kingdra
    ~Houndoom

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Second opinions in bold:
    I posted this in a different forum, but no one has gotten back to me... and I trust Shane out of everyone, so I'll ask it here.

What's a good EV set for the following Pokes (I did my math, but I want a second opinion):

Metagross (Adamant)
    140 HP, 252 Atk, 28 Def, 88 Speed or Sp.Def

It depends on the type of Metagross you are using:

CBgross:
    EVs: 16 HP / 116 Atk / 252 Def / 124 Spd

Agiligross:
    EVs: 160 HP/ 252 Atk / 96 Spd

Stalkergross:
    EVs: 204 HP / 136 Atk / 36 Def / 20 Spd / 112 SDef

Steelix (taken care of)

Aggron (Adamant)
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Def

Again, it depends on the moveset. Standard is:

EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spd

That is so Aggron can outspeed Weezing. If you don't fear Weezing, your EVs should be fine.

Magneton (Modest)
    6 HP, 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed

Skarmory (Impish)
    252 HP, 64 Atk, 192 Def

It would have been more helpful if you provided movesets too. A Poke's EV spread changes depending on the moveset. Your spread is correct for the SubSkarm version + Rest.

Scizor(Impish & Baton Passer)
    252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 6 Def

Works for me.

Mawile (Impish)
    252 HP, 252 Speed, 6 Def

Mawile is too slow to waste EVs on Speed, unless of course you fear Weezing. If you do, you need 96 Spd. If you don't, split those EVs between the defenses:

252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef

Ant ideas are greatly appreciated!
    The CBgross spread just doesn't look right for some reason. I will have to go back and check it.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Thanks, Shane!

I normally go with Agiligross.so you don't have to look up CBgross. I was never a fan of the Choice Band. Sure it powers up a move - but just one. That's my discontent.

Skarmory I go with this moveset:
    - Aerial Ace
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    - Steel Wing

Steel Wing will be taken out in place of Substitute or Rest, depending on which would be more helpful. I'd think Rest.

Aggron I want to go full out offensive. His attack is surpringly high, so this is my idea:

- Focus Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Thunder Wave
    - Ice Beam (in case I come across a pesky dragon, and he's the only one in my team who can learn neat Special Attacks like this)

I was also thinking of having him with both Ice Punch and Thunder Punch. But his Special Attack is low enough for me to be slightly wary of that. Either way, it may help him out a bit in the battlefield. Thunder Punch for water (a weakness of his), and Ice Punch for ground (a BIIIIG weakness of his, haha). But my ideas is that an Earthquake would do just as much damage to either water or ground as an Ice Punch or Thunder Punch. I would like at least one ice move in case I do for some reason come across a Flygon, or the likes.

Oh, and... what is Stalkergross? I've never heard that one until now.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Aggron should NEVER have a special move. When you come across a weakness, you switch out. Even though it has excellent base Def (180), that 4x weakness to Ground and Fighting nullify it. It is also frail enough on the special side that any good special sweeper ruins its day. That is why Substitute/Thunder Wave works so well. TW the first turn and then Sub until the opponent fails a turn and the Sub sticks. Then you use a STAB Rock Slide (NOT Ice Beam) to take out Pokes you cannot hit with Earthquake.

On Skarmory, I would have suggested Drill Peck/Roar over AA/WW, especially if you want to attack with it. DP is 120 AP (with STAB) while AA is only 90 AP. Personally, I only use Rest/Spikes/Substitute/Whirlwhind. Most trainers don't like non-attacking sets on a Poke because you cannot do anything if they are your last Poke. I say if Skarmory is consistently your last Poke in a battle, you have something wrong with the other five Pokes.

Stalkergross is Meteor Mash/Rest/Rock Slide/Sleep Talk. Attacking while asleep is cool.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Aggron should NEVER have a special move. When you come across a weakness, you switch out. Even though it has excellent base Def (180), that 4x weakness to Ground and Fighting nullify it. It is also frail enough on the special side that any good special sweeper ruins its day. That is why Substitute/Thunder Wave works so well. TW the first turn and then Sub until the opponent fails a turn and the Sub sticks. Then you use a STAB Rock Slide (NOT Ice Beam) to take out Pokes you cannot hit with Earthquake.

Point taken

On Skarmory, I would have suggested Drill Peck/Roar over AA/WW, especially if you want to attack with it. DP is 120 AP (with STAB) while AA is only 90 AP. Personally, I only use Rest/Spikes/Substitute/Whirlwhind. Most trainers don't like non-attacking sets on a Poke because you cannot do anything if they are your last Poke. I say if Skarmory is consistently your last Poke in a battle, you have something wrong with the other five Pokes.

I was thinking that, actually. Skarmory has a severe lack of good offensive moves (like you said, Drill Peck being his best), but I still say every Poke should have at least ONE attacking move just in case he ends up as your last Poke, and you're up against a fight to the death. But hey, to each their own!

Stalkergross is Meteor Mash/Rest/Rock Slide/Sleep Talk. Attacking while asleep is cool.

Sweet. So it's Sleeptalkergross. haha, I thought it was Stalkergross... was wondering, what does he do? Follow the enemy home and hide in the bush?

Anywho, thanks for the help.

Dragon Tamer Ed

Formerly DarkParukia
    Years
    I am a serious dragon enthusiast. I was thinking about a good all-dragon team, and I came up with this:

Salamence - Hardy
    Item: Lum Berry
    Dragon Claw
    Steel Wing
    Dragon Dance
    Aerial Ace

Latios - Modest
    Item: Soul Dew
    Dragon Claw
    Calm Mind
    Thunderbolt
    Recover

Altaria - Calm
    Item: Leftovers
    Sing
    Rest
    Dragon Claw
    Roar

Flygon - Adamant
    Item: Salac Berry
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Iron Tail/Steel Wing
    Body Slam

Sceptile - Modest OR Timid
    Item: Petaya Berry
    Leech Seed
    Protect
    Dragon Claw
    Giga Drain

Milotic - Bold OR Calm
    Item: Shell Bell
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Hypnosis
    Recover

I haven't made this team yet, it's only in theory and I want to know if it is good enough to make. And before you say " But Sceptile and Milotic aren't really dragons," I know that. I put them in for 2 reasons. 1) The choice of dragon pokemon is very limited and they are like Pseudo-Dragons. 2) I couldn't have my team all sharing the same weaknesses.

Rate plz

Years
    I will start by saying that I think I understand your philosophy about natures, and to be honest it doesn't help. Aside from a few rare exceptions, trying to cover weaknesses by using natures is bad strategy. The 10% increase rarely is helpful. An Aggron has a base SAtk of a measly 60. Giving it Quiet Nature won't help it from being ineffective. The nature of a Poke is best used to accentuate its STRENGTHS. A Relaxed Nature Swampert allows it to tank more effectively defensively. A Modest Gardevoir or an Adamant Metagross can cause even more damage. That is where the benefit of a nature come in.

As for your team, fixes in bold and a rate at the end:

I would give your team a 4/10. You did well by getting the best starter in Swampert and giving it its best moveset. Castform is more of a novelty than a good Poke, but it can work against the pathetic AI. Same goes for Aggron, but not with the moveset you have for it. Still not sure why Swellow was taken out. It would greatly improve your team. Gardevoir is also a very good choice, but the moveset wasn't. You still are missing a good defensive Poke like Ludicolo or Milotic.

This is my Team. No point Editing if it's in a Quote.

Swampert: Leader
    Level:64
    Nature:Naive

Movesets:
    Earthquake
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Rest

This is the Leader of the Pack. The only thing that you guys are going to complain about is the Nature. Fine but to be honest I don't really care.
    As for the moves I believe that Earthquake over powers every move there as he has a high Base Atk. than a Sp.Atk.

Castform: Cracker
    Level:56
    Nature:Relaxed

Movesets:
    Weather Ball
    Ice Beam
    Thunder/Sunny Day
    Rain Dance

She is the little cute one that can distract even thy best of thy Trainers.

Milotic: Tanker
    Level:56
    Nature:Bold

Movesets:
    Surf/Anything Good
    Ice Beam
    Hyper Beam/Anything Good
    Safeguard/Anything Good

Tanker is her Nickname as she has a good defensive Punch w/Marvel Scale and Vue'la there is my tank. I just evolved it at level 49 so it isn't that good. Also i have thirteen other Feebas 11 of which are Level 5. Not one of them is of thy Modest Nature.

Gardevoir: Walker
    Level:47

Movesets:
    Thunderbolt
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Calm Mind

She is thy Mystique. Thy Walker of thy Pack. Shadow Ball is there for Thy Dark Weakness and for Thy Psychics. She can do Finish off where Thy Swampert(Leader) left off.

Swellow: Winder
    Level:44

Movesets:
    Facade
    Aerial Ace
    Return

He just picks off the scraps and the weak Pokemon. Can dominate most Trainers/Gym Trainers.

Tropius: Servant
    Level:27
    Nature:Gentle

Movesets:
    Strength
    Fly
    Rock Smash
    Cut

I wouldn't think of him as a slave. His thy Servant as he can also help with the weaker Pokemon.

There you go. Once again I have changed my Party.

Last edited:

Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!

Throw your fangs up!
    Years
    I haven't touched my Sapphire in nearly I year...I can recall most of my team, though. (I know how bad it is, so do not suggest improvements)

Swampert (WaterQuake)
    -Surf
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Beam
    -I forget this move...I think it was Hydro Pump

My starter. Eventually, it became the center of my team.

Kyogre (Serenade)
    -Surf
    -Rain Dance
    -Calm Mind (I forget why this is there)
    -Thunder

I remember I hated this thing, but it was one of the strongest Pokemon I had, so it stayed.

Rayquaza (Dogadon)
    -Dragon Dance
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fly
    -Crunch (I think)

I needed something that flies and kicks butt. Then I caught Rayquaza. Enough said. A trip to the guy who restores moves, and I had it to my liking (at the time).

Blaziken (Can't remember the nickname)
    -Overheat
    -Blaze Kick
    -Sky Uppercut
    -Double Kick

I got this in a trade at summer camp. I planned to keep it until I bred it, but camp ended and I got stuck with it.

Latias (Once again, I can't remember the nickname)
    -Psychic
    -Recover
    -Dragon Claw
    -Return

I just felt like showing off with this in my team. It wasn't very strong at all.

Blaziken (Another one that remained nameless)
    -Return
    -Blaze Kick
    -Sky Uppercut
    -Earthquake

The bred Blaziken. I liked this one much better because of the strength Return did with it.

Like I said before...No improvement ideas. Chances are, I may never find my game and never get the chance to improve it.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Letme start off by saying that us mono-trainers aren't accepted with as much enthusiasm as multi-type trainers. Almost like being an atheist in Alabama. An all Dragon team isn't all that bad, seeing as how they have few weaknesses (I think Ice is the only one?). And many times a good Earthquake can take out a strong ice type.

My suggestions in Bold:

I am a serious dragon enthusiast. I was thinking about a good all-dragon team, and I came up with this:

Salamence - Adamant
    Item: Lum Berry
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Dragon Dance
    Aerial Ace

Salamence is quite simply a beast - he's Metagross with Levetate. Earthquake is just common sense. This guy's one of the best Physical Sweepersyou can get, and Earthquake is the archtypical PS move. I see where you're going with Steel Wing, to fend off ice bastards, but the power doesn't quite make up for the accuracy. Rock Slide is another common move for Physical Sweepers, so that's my idea. Oh, and there's really no other way to go about Salamence than with an Adamant nature.

Latios - Timid
    Dragon Claw
    Calm Mind
    Thunderbolt
    Recover/Ice Beam

I'm not too keen on using Legendaries, but it is your team. I'd much rather trade over a Dratini from FR/LG if you could, and train up a Dragonite.

Altaria - Calm
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry, for a free turn if you use Rest
    Sing
    Rest
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake

Altaria has put many of my Steel pokemon in a world of hurt. I always hate Flying types than can learn Earthquake, but hey, more power to 'em. Not a bad setup, but I'm curious what Roar would be for? Switch that out for Earthquake. Or you could also do with Fire Blast on this bad boy, although many times Pokemon carrying ice type moves are of the water type.

Flygon - Adamant
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Flamethrower
    Dragon Claw

Flygon is the mortal fear of my Magneton. My one friend rose a Flygon JUST to take care of my Magneton. Don't waste good slots for poor moves like Body Slam. Avoid using Normal type moves in most situations. The last two slots are open for interpretation - with Rock Slide and Earthquake, Flygon can put a hefty dent in any Pokemon.

Sceptile - Modest OR Timid
    Item: Petaya Berry
    Leech Seed
    Toxic
    Dragon Claw
    Giga Drain/Leaf Blade

Sceptile is one of the weaker of starters, but shouldn't be underestimated if you ask me. Toxic over Protect, in my opinion. Leaf Blade over Giga Drain I would normally say, but with the HP recovery, that can be open to debate. As for nature, I would personally go with Modest.

Milotic - Bold OR Calm
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Hypnosis
    Recover

Shell Bell is a worthless Leftovers wannabe. But either way, Milotic is a tank. That's a very good moveset, but I would consider Toxic also being in there. Not necessary, but worth a thought. The rest looks good.

I haven't made this team yet, it's only in theory and I want to know if it is good enough to make. And before you say " But Sceptile and Milotic aren't really dragons," I know that. I put them in for 2 reasons. 1) The choice of dragon pokemon is very limited and they are like Pseudo-Dragons. 2) I couldn't have my team all sharing the same weaknesses.

Rate plz

Like I said, having a mono-team puts you at a slight disadvantage in some aspects, but I feel you should raise what you prefer. I would trade over from LeafGreen/FireRed for more choices in the Dragon gene pool, and take out the Uber. But besides that, good luck!

~BlackHeartedWolf~

Naruto *Love love*
    Years
    An all Dragon team isn't all that bad, seeing as how they have few weaknesses (I think Ice is the only one?).

Dragon-types are also weak against other dragon-types xD

Also, here's my opinion on Latios:

Latios - Modest (Natures don't matter to me, so I'm not gonna worry about this)
    Dragon Claw
    Calm Mind/Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Recover/Psychic

Recover and Calm Mind are very useful moves to have, but then again, seeing as how Latios is half-psychic, I would go with a Psychic-type move. If Ice Beam is meant to take care of other Dragons, Dragon Claw can work just as effectively (Because Dragon-type pokemon are weak against Dragon-type attacks. It's kinda funny how they're weak against their own kind of attack xD). Psychic works with the type of Pokemon it is. I put Psychic there twice because the two moves it's next to are moves I would be thinking about replacing with it. Since Latios has a high special attack, I would drop Calm Mind and replace that with Psychic, so if Latios gets in a snag, and you don't have any potions, it can heal itself. Unless you're planning on Latios being the equivlent of an assault vehicle. But if you were to ask me, I would get rid of Calm Mind and keep Recover.

Dragon Tamer Ed

Formerly DarkParukia
    Years
    Graceofbaal, I've been looking at your advice and here is my feedback:

-Salamence: I see what you're saying about Steel Wing and the nature. I'll use EQ but I don't think Ground is supereffective against Ice. And since I already have EQ and Rock Slide on Flygon I'll probably use Brick Break for Fighting's advantage over Ice.

-Latios: I know he is Uber but I needed a special sweeper and he was really the only dragon I thought of who can do it effectively. Maybe I could do someting with Dragonite.

-Altaria: Roar was going to be a Pseudo-Haze, and I had no idea Altaria could learn EQ so that's fine. I'll put that in.

-Flygon: OK, but a Flygon with an Adamant nature won't really make use of those special attacks you suggested. Also Body Slam was really only in there for the 30% chance of paralysis.

-Sceptile: Fair enough, though I'm sticking with Giga Drain

-Milotic: Shell Bell was used because 2 pokemon holding the same item isn't allowed in certain parts of the games.

Thanks for the advice, and maybe I could take out Latios and use a Dragonite with a "Sub-Punch with Special Moves" set.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    Graceofbaal, I've been looking at your advice and here is my feedback:

-Salamence: I see what you're saying about Steel Wing and the nature. I'll use EQ but I don't think Ground is supereffective against Ice. And since I already have EQ and Rock Slide on Flygon I'll probably use Brick Break for Fighting's advantage over Ice.

Earthquake is always a useful move, no matter how many you have - almost everyone on my team has learned Earthquake. It's a devestating attack, even to those who aren't very weak to ground. And Salamence's high attack would make great use of it.

-Latios: I know he is Uber but I needed a special sweeper and he was really the only dragon I thought of who can do it effectively. Maybe I could do someting with Dragonite.

Salamence can actually make an effective Special Sweeper. But he's normally best as a Physical Sweeper. Again, it's your team... only reason I don't use Registeel is because I dislike Ubers. :-)

-Altaria: Roar was going to be a Pseudo-Haze, and I had no idea Altaria could learn EQ so that's fine. I'll put that in.

That could work. My Skarmory knows Whirlwind, which is the same as Roar... but it's a lot better when paired with Spikes.

-Flygon: OK, but a Flygon with an Adamant nature won't really make use of those special attacks you suggested. Also Body Slam was really only in there for the 30% chance of paralysis.

I'm sure someone on your team can learn Thunder Wave. Won't check, cause I'm lazy (sorry!), but that's much better than Body Slam. Flygon makes better use with Adamant... so when you say it won't make use of the Special Moves, any other nature wouldn't do justice to Flygon. Flamethrower could be backup for an Ice type.

-Sceptile: Fair enough, though I'm sticking with Giga Drain

Okie dokie.

-Milotic: Shell Bell was used because 2 pokemon holding the same item isn't allowed in certain parts of the games.

Only in the Battle Tower, etc. If you're playing against someone else, then use Leftovers. You may even make use of a berry that raises Special Attack, or Defense, "in a pinch".

Thanks for the advice, and maybe I could take out Latios and use a Dragonite with a "Sub-Punch with Special Moves" set.

Dragonite would make a good Sub-Puncher, if you ask me.

Years
    *NEWLY Updated Team (Ratings and comments appreciated)*

Leafy - Lv44 Male Tropius (Careful Nature)

Solar Beam
    Body Slam
    Magical Leaf
    Fly

Phan - Lv44 Male Donphan (Rash Nature)

Rollout
    Earthquake
    Strength
    Take Down

Grumpy - Lv44 Male Grumpig (Hasty Nature)

Psychic
    Confuse Ray
    Dynamic Punch
    Substitute

Pixie - Lv44 Female Ninetales (Brave Nature)

Ember (Will replace with fire spin before long)
    Confuse Ray
    Fire Blast
    Flamethrower

Rolly - Lv45 Walrein (Quirky Nature)

Blizzard
    Ice Beam
    Body Slam
    Surf

Chu - Lv44 Raichu (Bashful Nature)

Rock Smash (Will be replaced once I beat the Elite 4 and it is no longer nessecary)
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder
    Slam

Last edited:

FullmetalxFangirl

...ily...
    Years
    I'm not sure of the movesets since I started a new game, but ...

Venusaur
    Pidgeot
    Raichu
    Dugtrio
    Arcanine (used flareon once ...)
    Vaporeon (sometimes use kabutops)

It always works well for me, as well as the variation I used the time before. Even if you people insist pidgeot is a waste of PC storage space, I think it looks cool. >_> So deal with it.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Well, it seems my Emerald file randomly went and corrupted itself so I had to start over in Emerald. =\ I'm basically rushing through the game, trying to get far enough in the game for some experience pwnage against Gabby and Ty and to get a Feebas. So far I have 4 badges and my team is (the nicknames are extremely random, I know, but I actually picked the first few letters on them at random. o.o):

Blaziken ** Quazido
    Trait: Blaze
    Rash nature

Double Kick (replacing with Sky Uppercut once it learns it)
    Blaze Kick (going to be replaced with Fire Blast, Flamethrower or Thunderpunch)
    Quick Attack (Will be replaced with Swords Dance)
    Bulk Up (Will be replaced with Rock Slide)

Tentacool ** Terodo
    Trait: Clear Body
    Relaxed nature (meh... ._. Couldn't be bothered to find one with a good nature. Besides, IIRC this guy had pretty good DVs)

Any moveset suggestions not including egg moves are okay. I know the lack of egg moves severely limits the use of Tentacruel, but I won't make a proper competitive Tentacruel before I get to the point in the game where it's easy to breed for egg moves and shizzle.

Solrock (that doesn't even have a nickname. =\ )
    Relaxed nature (meh...)
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 156 HP, 228 Atk, 124 Def
    DVs (because I'm cool that way. =P):
    HP: 18 - 20
    Attack: 13 - 15
    Defense: 6 - 8
    Speed: 29 - 31 (yay for nearly perfect Speed and a speed decreasing nature. -.-)
    Special Attack: 22 - 24
    Special Defense: 14 - 16

Secret Power (going to be replaced with Earthquake, obviously)
    Rock Throw (Rock Slide, anyone?)
    Overheat (considering Fire Blast, but Overheat should be able to take Skarmory and such with one hit)
    Cosmic Power (replacing with Explosion)

^ My first fully EV trained Pokémon. It took me around 4 hours to EV train it, but it was worth every second.

The Pokémon that I don't have yet, but am going to get are:

Flygon @ Leftovers
    ??? nature (a little help with the nature, please?)
    EVs: ??? (Again, a little help, please?)

Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Screech
    Fire Blast

Milotic @ Leftovers
    Bold nature
    EVs: 252 HP 160 Def 96 SAtk

Surf
    Ice Beam/Toxic (not sure which one I'll use yet.)
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Raichu @ Leftovers
    Mild nature (?)
    EVs: 68 Atk, 240 Spd, 200 SAtk

Thunderbolt
    Substitute
    Encore
    Focus Punch

And yes, I know this team is a random mix of UU and OU, but this is in-game and anything works. Besides, I happen to like Solrock, Tentacruel and Raichu, and all of them can still do fairly well in standard play.

Years
    *Updated Team*

Fafnir - Lv55 Male Dragonite (Relaxed Nature)

Hyper Beam
    Dragon Claw
    Flamethrower
    Fly

Bullfrog - Lv52 Male Venusaur (Modest Nature)

Razor Leaf
    Sleep Powder
    Frenzy Plant
    Cut

Tar - Lv60 Male Tyranitar (Sassy nature)

Crunch
    Rock Slide
    Thrash
    Earthquake

Sparky - Lv60 Male Raichu (Jolly Nature)

Thunderbolt
    Flash
    Thunder
    Rock Smash (soon to be forgotten and replaced)

Ruby - Lv60 Female Rapidash

Overheat
    Flamethrower
    Fire Blast
    Return

Bowser - Lv60 Male Blastoise (Brave Nature)

Skull Bash
    Surf
    Blizzard
    Hydro Cannon

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I recently restarted my LeafGreen cart and decided to use a team consisting of the first 5 types that I encountered after selecting my trusted Squirtle. I chose five types instead of 5 Pokes because I didn't want to end up with Butterfly AND Beedrill and have too big of a weakness in one area. I also put in the restriction that I could not use items during battle. No using Potions or anything. I could only do that once the battle was over. That gave the game at least more of a competitive feel to it. I also took off the Shift Option (as I always do), since knowing what your opponent is bringing out and being able to switch out is definitely cheap and next to cheating.

I just finished beating down the Weak Five ("Elite" Four + Gary), and here is my team:

Butterfree (Lv50) @ Amulet Coin
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    EVs: SAtk and Spd mostly with HP
    Hardy Nature (Neutral crap)
    - Giga Drain
    - Psychic
    - Sleep Powder
    - Stun Spore

Okay, I have NEVER used any crappy Bug-type (not called Heracross), but this one surprised me. Its trait allows Sleep Powder and Stun Spore to be far more accurate than they are and that is why this thing is my lead. Step one, sleep/para opponent. Step two, switch out to something better. The nature sucks, but my first five rule sealed its doom. Make no mistake, it is still a crappy Poke that gets owned by too many things competitively, but in-game this thing was vital to the rest of my crappy team.

Raichu (Lv51) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Static
    EVs: SAtk and Spd mostly, with some Atk
    Mild Nature (+SATk, -Def)
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt

This is typically who I would swith in after putting my opponent to sleep with the craptacular Butterfree. I always was able to get a Sub in and then it was pound them physically with a Focus Punch or with a STAB Thunderbolt. Thunder Wave came in handy when my opponent's Poke either woke up or they brought in another one. I lucked out with the nature, but it caused it to be even more frail than usual. Doesn't last very long, but it was able to take out Lorelei all by itself without taking a single hit.

Primeape (Lv49) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Vital Spirit
    EVs: Atk and Spd
    Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
    - Bulk Up
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide

This is the other Poke I would switch to, especially if I needed physical power. I would Bulk Up while the opponent was sleeping and then cause serious pain to practically anything that didn't resist physical attacks, which isn't much with the pathetic AI. Its bad nature didn't help much though. Lefties sure helped though.

Raticate (Lv50) @ Cheri Berry
    Trait: Guts
    Lax Nature (+Def, -SDef)
    - Return
    - Shadow Ball
    - Super Fang
    - Thunder Wave

Another Poke I haven't ever used. This one also surprised me though. It has the speed, the power, and a good movepool. Too bad it only works in-game. Super Fang has got to be one of the best moves in the game. Being able to half a Poke's HP no matter what is just crazy! I abused that move to death. Hitting first with it and then finishing off with STAB Return or Shadow Ball proved very effective. Thunder Wave also saved my behind (or its behind) many times, including against Lance when it was my last Poke against its last Poke - Aerodactyl. Going first was the different between winning and having to start all over (I don't save in the W5).

Pidgeot (Lv49) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Keen Eye
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Aerial Ace
    - Quick Attack
    - Steel Wing
    - Toxic

Definite weak-link. Unfortunately, there was no way I could have avoided running into this thing before I could have found a Doduo though. Having to use this thing only reinforced the thinking that Doduo (and Fearow and Swellow) are much better at doing its job. Having to deal with its lower Atk and a weaker attack (I sure missed Drill Peck) wasn't fun and its nature blew too.

Blastoise (Lv50) @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: SAtk, Spd, and Def
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Ice Beam
    - Rest
    - Strength
    - Surf

The Jesus of my team. Saved my butt too often, especially against Gary. Using HM not called Surf is a definite NO-NO, but Sleep Talk isn't available in FRLG. I actually had Bite there until the W5, and added Strength just for a little physical power.

Defeating the Weak5, whose Pokes range from Lv51 to Lv63, using crappy Pokes that all started out the W5 at Lv49, not to mention only using items in between battle, goes to show how desperately a difficulty level is needed in this game. I thought for sure that this would be more of a challenge, and I might actually have to battle more than once. Nope. Won the very first time, although two times I was down to my last Poke. I guess I could try again and add a rule that I cannot use HMs or TMs. Hmmm. That is an idea.

Years
    Heres My Team
    Charizard LV70
    Male
    Timid
    Flamethrower
    Overheat
    Aerial ace
    Dragon Claw

Clefable LV55
    Female
    Naughty
    Hidden Power Flying/Psychic
    Toxic
    Thunder
    Rain Dance

Lapras LV54
    Male
    Naive
    Surf
    Perish Song
    Ice Beam
    Rain Dance

Electabuzz LV47
    Male
    Gentle
    Thunderbolt
    Water Pulse
    Screech
    Psychic

Exeggcutor LV47
    Male
    Brave
    Psychic
    Solarbeam
    Sunny Day
    Curse

And thats My FireRed team
    Changes in bold. An okay team, work on movesets though. And balance. Also, my changes are a bit different than others. :D

Blueswhistle

White Prétear
    Years
    I don't need anyone to tell me my Sapphire team sucks. It's mostly one type. XD But here we go.

Corsola (Sango) M @ Shell Bell (L 66)
    Lax Nature
    Hustle Trait

Ancientpower
    Mirror Coat
    Surf
    Ice Beam

Latias (Ratias) F @ Leftovers (L71)
    Rash Nature
    Levitate Trait

Dragon Claw
    Dragonbreath (I can't decide which Dragon move to replace with something)
    Waterfall
    Psychic

Swampert (Daichi) M @ Magnet (L66)
    Careful Nature
    Torrent Trait

Ice Beam
    Surf
    Earthquake
    HP Elec

Then I have a Tropius HM slave and two training slots. I'm planning on raising a Surskit/Masquerian once I've evolved everything in my boxes. Only a couple things left to go. Other prospects are a Brave-natured Synchronize Gardevoir, a Careful-natured Flygon, a Quirky-natured Metagross (which I actually hate using, though), a Bold-natured Armaldo, a Modest-natured Synchronize Xatu, a Serious-natured Early Bird Dodrio, and a Sassy-natured Manectric. Between the two Surskits, the Male one is Rash with Swift Swim and the Female one is Relaxed with Swift Swim, and both are L3 and untouched. I also have two Quiet Phanpys sitting around.

I have a Battle Tower team that also sucks. (L 50s)

Heracross (Roll) F @ Quick Claw
    Brave Nature
    Swarm Trait

Horn Attack (Love to replace it with Megahorn, but raising it further would make it ineligible for Battle Tower L50)
    Endure
    Reversal
    Brick Break

Azumarill (Shibby) M @ Nevermeltice
    Adamant Nature
    Thick Fat Trait

Rain Dance
    Ice Beam
    Water Pulse (for the confusion, if I wanted strong I'd breed a Huge Power 'zu)
    Double-Edge

Bellossom (Hana) F @ Lax Incense
    Docile Nature
    Chlorophyll Trait

Magical Leaf
    Solarbeam
    Sleep Powder
    Sunny Day

I did have my reasons for all of it, but I only remember a few and think it sucks now. So eh.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Comments on this rate in bold:
    Heres My Team
    Charizard LV70
    Male
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Swords Dance

- Aerial ace

Bad nature. Charizard is best used as a physical sweeper, not a special sweeper due to its bad typing and limited special movepool. Personally, I would take this out since there are better options for physical sweepers anyway. One is desperately needed here too. Also avoid using two Fire moves on Charizard. It needs Earthquake.

Clefable LV55
    Female
    Naughty
    Hidden Power Flying/Psychic
    Toxic
    Thunder
    Rain Dance

I wouldn't use Clefable on this team since you already have Lapras and it is better at doing the same job. Also, having Rain Dance AND Sunny Day on the same team is bad strategy.

Lapras LV54
    Male
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Surf/Confuse Ray
    - Sing/Rest
    - Thunderbolt

- Ice Beam

Another bad nature. Lapras is very versatile and should be spending a turn using Sing instead of Rain Dance. Thunderbolt + Ice Beam can hit almost every Poke in the game (except Lanturn and Shedinja). Be wary of Surf if you plan on using Sunny Day. Rest helps it tank and you can even put Sleep Talk in the first slot and change to Calm to make this thing tank pretty well.

Electabuzz LV47
    Male
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Punch/Fire Punch/Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch/Ice Punch
    - Substitute

Electabuzz is a sweeper and shouldn't waste moves setting up. Water Pulse won't do enough damage to Ground-types to warrant using it. Ice Punch is more effective and can hurt Grass and Dragon-types too. Fire Punch is for Bug and Steel. I prefer Sub + Focus Punch, but you could go Sub + elemental Punch and change the nature to Modest.

Exeggutor LV47
    Male
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Explosion

- Solarbeam
    - Sunny Day

Curse is wasted here. Sleep Powder is more effective, especially after a Sunny Day, which makes Exeggutor the fastest non-uber in the game. Explosion is great for Pokes that resist Solarbeam. Personally, I prefer the utility moveset of Explosion/Psychic/Sleep Powder/Wish.

And thats My FireRed team
    An okay team, work on movesets though. And balance. Also, my changes are a bit different than others. :D

There is a serious issue with a lack of balance. A good special wall can come in on this team, set up, and it gg. Not to mention a good physical attacker can rip through here as well. This team lacks a good physical sweeper (Aerodactyl, Dragonite) and a physical wall (Weezing, Skarmory, Umbreon).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back