• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your Pokémon Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    off the top of my head......

Kyogre (I named mines Shamu!)
    Groudon
    Latios
    Metagross
    Mewtwo
    Lugia

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2007
    Sapphire:

Mudkip Level 11, Poochyena Level 10, Dustox Level 12, and Whismur Level 11. Just Beat Brawley =P I'm on a mission to win the game with the lowest possible team xD

i beat emerald with my strongest pokemon a level 38 blaziken,i also had a lairon at 36, 37 gyrados, 37 ninetales, 38 manectric, and 34 tropius

encyclopediajm

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • My team...how is it?

I am not sure I have a good team but...

Gengar Lv50:)

Metang Lv26:embarrass

Gorebyss Lv45:)

Porygon2 Lv38:\

Dragonair Lv36:embarrass

Areodactyl Lv27:embarrass

I tried to make my team out of diverse (some, usually neglected) pokemon, I am still training them so the levels will change but for the most part the pokemon will stay the same.

Last edited:

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I've been trying to devise an ultimate multi-type team here, so let me know what you think...

Gorebyss
    Bold Nature
    - Amnesia
    - Rain Dance
    - Surf
    - Confuse Ray

(Gorebyss caught my attention when it completely massacred me at the Battle Frontier. Ever since then I've been a HUGE fan. Pretty much, Gorebyss >>> you and me.)

Metagross
    Adamant Nature
    - Explosion
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Agility

Alakazam
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunder Punch/Ice Punch
    - Fire Punch

Vileplume
    Modest Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Solar Beam
    - Aromatherapy
    - Toxic

Salamence
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance
    - Rock Slide
    - Aerial Ace

Blissey
    Bold Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Seismic Toss
    - Aromatherapy
    - Softboiled

This is just preliminary, so let me know what you think.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Fixes in bold:
    I've been trying to devise an ultimate multi-type team here, so let me know what you think...

Gorebyss
    Bold Nature / Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Amnesia/Iron Defense/Substitute
    - Agility/Rain Dance
    - Surf/Hydro Pump
    - Baton Pass/Ice Beam

(Gorebyss caught my attention when it completely massacred me at the Battle Frontier. Ever since then I've been a HUGE fan. Pretty much, Gorebyss >>> you and me.)

Meh. You should try Omastar. It has basically the same stats, but adds a Normal resist too. Gorebyss can be a decent special sweeper or a Baton Passer. Your set is a bit of a hybrid. The first options deal with the BP set. Agility and then Amnesia/Iron Defense, depending on who you are passing to. The second options are the special sweeper. Rain Dance ups the speed and Ice Beam >>>> Confuse Ray.

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    - Explosion
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Ball/Rock Slide/Sludge Bomb

Can you imagine an Agility and Iron Defense/Amnesia/Substitute BP'd to this thing? Pokes faint just at the sight of it.

Alakazam
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Calm Mind/Ice Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    - Fire Punch/Ice Punch

Good standard set. In-game, you could pull CM for IP. Although, if you are BP'ing a Sub, that free CM can come in pretty handy. Rain Dance is going to destroy Fire Punch though. Maybe go with IP there instead. Fire moves, like Fire-type Pokes, aren't really necessary in-game.

Vileplume
    Modest Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Solar Beam
    - Sleep Powder
    - Toxic/Moonlight/Leech Seed/Sludge Bomb

Having both Rain Dance and Sunny Day on the same team is a no-no. Having two clerics on the same team is also redundant. Blissey does the job about 35.7 times better. Vileplume cannot special sweep very effectively in-game, and is outclassed by Exeggutor in SunnyBeaming too. Personally, I would switch this out with Ludicolo. Ludicolo has the Swift Swim Trait that is the same as Chlorophyll, but activates with Rain Dance. It also has a better typing and movepool, allowing it to special sweep or tank.

Salamence
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance
    - Rock Slide
    - Aerial Ace

A Salamence. A SCARY Salamence if you BP to it.

Blissey
    Bold Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Seismic Toss
    - Aromatherapy
    - Softboiled

A Blissey. Can you imagine Blissey with Agility and Iron Defense BP'd to it?

This is just preliminary, so let me know what you think.
    Nice balance. If you take out Vileplume, you can put Fire Blast on Salamence and then switch out Alakazam to Giga Drain Gengar if you fear Swampert.

Pokequester

the Quest has begun!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2007
    My team owns you all ^^
    Sampert lvl 100
    Salamence lvl100
    Scizor lvl 100
    Metagross lvl 98(>_>)
    Sellow lvl100
    Manetric lvl 100

I dispise using legendaries in my party.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • Fixes in bold:

Nice balance. If you take out Vileplume, you can put Fire Blast on Salamence and then switch out Alakazam to Giga Drain Gengar if you fear Swampert.

I completely forgot about Gengar. That guy's a beast.

Vileplume was more of a filler, because I was unsure what else to put in... Vileplume was always one of my old favourites. Her and Victreebel, who I actually like more than Vileplume. But Gengar would be a great addition.

I never thought about a Baton Pass on Gorebyss. I guess I was thinking in terms of a Special Sweeper, but even with Baton Pass it can probably sweep pretty damned well. But you're right, a Baton Pass like that to Blissey or Metagross is quite scary.

Gorebyss apparently has one of the highest Special Attack stats ibn the game (non-uber, mind you), so I would want to make use of that. How about...

- Surf (really a must)
    - Baton Pass
    - Substitute
    - Amnesia
    (Metagross and Blissey have moderately high Defense, but not as good Sp. Def. I think Amnesia would benefit them a lot more, if you ask me. I could be wrong about Blissey, I've never used her in battle.)

Slap a few PP Ups on Surf, and you've got a pretty freaking scary Pokemon there.
    In my opinion.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    My team owns you all ^^
    Swampert lvl 100
    Salamence lvl100
    Scizor lvl 100
    Metagross lvl 98(>_>)
    Swellow lvl100
    Manectric lvl 100

I dispise using legendaries in my party.
    You probably meant it tongue-in-cheek, but your last Poke voids your claim. You also really need to consider having a Poke that can take special hits. Most special sweepers (i.e. Alakazam, Gengar, Starmie, etc.) can make short work of this team. You also have a serious Swampert, Skarmory, and Tyranitar weakness.

I completely forgot about Gengar. That guy's a beast.

Vileplume was more of a filler, because I was unsure what else to put in... Vileplume was always one of my old favourites. Her and Victreebel, who I actually like more than Vileplume. But Gengar would be a great addition.

I never thought about a Baton Pass on Gorebyss. I guess I was thinking in terms of a Special Sweeper, but even with Baton Pass it can probably sweep pretty damned well. But you're right, a Baton Pass like that to Blissey or Metagross is quite scary.

Gorebyss apparently has one of the highest Special Attack stats ibn the game (non-uber, mind you), so I would want to make use of that. How about...

- Surf (really a must)
    - Baton Pass
    - Substitute
    - Amnesia
    (Metagross and Blissey have moderately high Defense, but not as good Sp. Def. I think Amnesia would benefit them a lot more, if you ask me. I could be wrong about Blissey, I've never used her in battle.)

Slap a few PP Ups on Surf, and you've got a pretty freaking scary Pokemon there.
    In my opinion.
    That is the BP set. Still concerned about Vilepume ruining things with Sunny Day, unless you were keeping Zam and adding Gengar.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • if one were really worried about big scary grass types he/she could replace Baton Pass with an Ice or Fire or Flying atack...

Shane meant my own Vileplume ruining the day.
    Really going over the team, Gorebyss would make amazing use of Baton Passing to any of my team members (except maybe Alakazam, unless I wanted to beef up his defenses for some reason; Substitute might work better for Zam).

When I mentioned Gengar, I meant to replace Vileplume with him.
    So yes, Vileplume is out of the picture.

See, I'm just showing that even though I prefer a mono-team, I still can compile a fairly decent multi-team. ;-)

Pokequester

the Quest has begun!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2007
    You probably meant it tongue-in-cheek, but your last Poke voids your claim. You also really need to consider having a Poke that can take special hits. Most special sweepers (i.e. Alakazam, Gengar, Starmie, etc.) can make short work of this team. You also have a serious Swampert, Skarmory, and Tyranitar weakness.

Hah! you funny. thats utterly Hilarious.......

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You might think it is funny, but it is true. Take a Lv100 Gengar for example:

Lv100 Gengar @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Fire Punch
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Punch
    - Substitute

Swampert (4x weak to Grass) hit with Giga Drain = OHKO
    Salamence (4x weak to Ice) hit with Ice Punch = OHKO
    Scizor (4x weak to Fire) hit with Fire Punch = OHKO
    Metagross (weak to Fire) hit with Fire Punch = 78% max damage
    Swellow (weak to Ice) hit with Ice Punch = OHKO
    Manectric (60 base SDef) hit with Fire Punch = 58% max damage

So you see, Gengar (who is faster than all the Pokes on your team) OHKO's 4 of them, severely damages one and halves another.

Now, if you had a Poke on your team that could take special hits pretty well (i.e. Snorlax, Blissey, Milotic, Dusclops, Regice, etc.), you switch this in on Gengar and it wets itself because it cannot do anything.

For example, Gengar hitting a Lv100 Blissey with ANY of its attacks will only do max damage of 8%.

I apologize if my previous comments appeared rude. I was just trying to help by pointing out a big weakness in your team. A special wall, like Blissey, would REALLY help your team. Personally, I would replace Manectric with Blissey (or a different special wall) and Scizor with a good special sweeper (see above post for examples).

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    sorry to veer off topic a bit here, but can someone explain to me why they would want anything to do with a Blissey on their team? All I see is a Poke with a ridiculously high HP and SpD (special defense) but other than that, its base stats are sub-par (not so thrilled about its 75 base SpA).

Not to blast anyone with a Blissey on their team, but I would love some insight on this, I'm pretty open minded ;)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    This is more of a question for the Strategies & Movesets section, and we will probably get warned by a mod, but I will explain it anyway.

Blissey is simply one of the best Pokes in the game. Before I can explain why, I need to explain a BIG difference between battling in-game and through link or Net Battle (online). In-game, against the pathetic AI, it will RARELY (and I mean it) ever switch out its Poke if it gets statused (i.e. SLP, PSN, BRN, etc.) or if it is facing a severe weakness (it has Onix out and you bring out Swampert). What this does is train the person to behave the same way. That is horrible strategy, but the AI is set up that way in order for younger kids to be able to progress through the game without losing too much interest. So those of us with higher than a fourth grade education level are left wanting, wishing that Game Freak would instill some sort of difficulty level.

Now, when you play against someone else (whether it be a link battle or online with NB), a good player is going to immediately switch out to a different Poke that will either resist the Poke you have out (i.e. switching out Onix for Milotic), or to a Poke that your own Poke has a weakness to (i.e. switching out Onix for Sceptile). What that does is make your pending Surf attack not very effective. These type of battles causes, or rather FORCES, you to learn good strategy and how to predict what your opponent will do. Well, unless you enjoy getting your butt handed to you all the time.

So, where does Blissey fit into this? Simple. Because of the ridiculously high base HP and SDef that you alluded to earlier, you can switch it in against a powerful special attacker (like Alakazam or the Gengar used in my above example) and stop it dead in its tracks. In my above example, Gengar would NEVER be able to KO Blissey. Why? Because its attacks can only do 8% max damage to it. So, after a few hits, Blissey uses Softboiled and heals it s HP all the way full again. Gengar will eventually run out PP before Blissey even comes close to having below 50% HP. Not only that, but a good Blissey will also be equipped with Ice Beam and either Seismic Toss or Thunder Wave. Ice Beam, despite Blissey's very average base SAtk of 75, can still dish out more damage against Pokes that don't resist it, than it receives itself. It will OHKO Salamence with some SAtk EVs and it can also do 34% max damage to Gengar, while Gengar only does 8% to it. Seismic Toss is another good move since it inflicts damage that equals the level of the Poke using it. That means ANY Poke in the game that isn't immune to it, will lose 100 HP to Seismic Toss. So, unless your Poke or your team has some way to replenish HP, Blissey is going to slowly defeat your entire team.

Thunder Wave is more of an annoying status move that a Blissey user will use to inflict as many Pokes in your team as possible. So, unless you have a cleric on your team (a Poke with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy), your Pokes will be at a disadvantage, having to go last each round and subjected to a 50% chance of not being able to to attack at all.

What about its EXTREMELY low Def (base Def of a pathetic 10)? Yes, that is definitely an issue, but with a proper nature (Bold) and maxing out Def EVs and almost maxing out HP EVs, an Earthquake from Salamence will only do max damage of 37% to Blissey. Salamence with Brick Break also only does max damage of 56%. A STAB Meteor Mash or a STAB Earthquake from Swampert doesn't do much more than that. To be honest though, against Pokes like that you would switch out your Blissey for a Poke that can resist physical attacks like Blissey does special attacks. A great example is Skarmory. You switch Skarmory in against Salamence that uses Earthquake, Earthquake misses because Skarmory is a metal bird, and then you can either set up a Substitute or put down a layer of Spikes while your opponent typically switches out to a Poke that can hurt it.

So, as you can see, Blissey is definitely a Poke that you need to prepare for. Thankfully the AI in the Battle Frontier doesn't maximize Blissey's potential like that. Crappy Double Team always fails.

Hope that helps.

BTW - I failed to cover what else Blissey can do. It can remove any status that your team is inflicted with, during a battle. This is yet another difference between in-game and link/NB battles. When you battle in-game, you have access to all the items in your pack. If one of your Pokes gets put to sleep, you take a turn to wake it up with a Poke Flute, Blue Flute, Chesto Berry, or Awakening. In a link/NB battle, you don't have access to any items. The only way to counter statuses is to either prevent them (Safeguard prevents statuses for 5 turns) or cure them (Heal Bell and Aromatherpy will remove all statuses your team is inflicted with. You also have the Natural Cure Trait, where when the Poke is removed from battle, it is cured of any status. Clerics are pretty valuable to the makeup of your team.

For example, if you have Salamence out and it gets hit with Will-O-Wisp, not only will it take damage each turn (1/8th of HP, iirc), but it also halves the attack of physical moves. Unless it is holding a Rawst or Lum Berry, it has just become ineffective. It will only do half the damage it normally could. With Blissey on the team, you would simply switch it in, use Heal Bell or Aromatherapy, and remove the BRN from Salamence. Now at full strength, Salamence can now be a force to be reckoned with once again.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Thanks for the help! The problem with me is that I have been battling against the computer and hardly against other humans so my strategy has been limited to battling the computer! Oh looks like my dream team needs some serious retooling!

I had no idea you could play online against other people, is there some program I can download? Wow I've got a bunch to learn about true battle strategy! I am now considering a Blissey on my team because you've advertised it pretty well!

BTW- I tried to PM you but your box is full

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    www.smogon.com
    This is a site dedicated to competitive battling and has a free download of Net Battle there.

BTW - sorry about my inbox. I cleaned it up a bit.

Last edited:

Pokequester

the Quest has begun!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2007
    You might think it is funny, but it is true. Take a Lv100 Gengar for example:

Lv100 Gengar @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Fire Punch
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Punch
    - Substitute

Swampert (4x weak to Grass) hit with Giga Drain = OHKO
    Salamence (4x weak to Ice) hit with Ice Punch = OHKO
    Scizor (4x weak to Fire) hit with Fire Punch = OHKO
    Metagross (weak to Fire) hit with Fire Punch = 78% max damage
    Swellow (weak to Ice) hit with Ice Punch = OHKO
    Manectric (60 base SDef) hit with Fire Punch = 58% max damage

So you see, Gengar (who is faster than all the Pokes on your team) OHKO's 4 of them, severely damages one and halves another.

Now, if you had a Poke on your team that could take special hits pretty well (i.e. Snorlax, Blissey, Milotic, Dusclops, Regice, etc.), you switch this in on Gengar and it wets itself because it cannot do anything.

For example, Gengar hitting a Lv100 Blissey with ANY of its attacks will only do max damage of 8%.

I apologize if my previous comments appeared rude. I was just trying to help by pointing out a big weakness in your team. A special wall, like Blissey, would REALLY help your team. Personally, I would replace Manectric with Blissey (or a different special wall) and Scizor with a good special sweeper (see above post for examples).

How 'bout you put youre money where your mouth is? I challenge you to visual boy advance link battle!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I don't use Visual Boy Advance. I use an actual GBA and legal carts.

If you would like to battle online using Net Battle, I am more than willing to oblige you. Just send me a PM as to when you will be available, so we can stop spamming in this thread.

Pokequester

the Quest has begun!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2007
    I don't have net battle, and torrents ARE legal.(I'm stopping the spamming)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back