• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts on Shinies?

Do You Like Shinies??

• LOVE THEM

Votes: 57 65.5%
  • Nope

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I dont care for them.

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
Years
  • Well, I tend to dis-like shiny Pokemon, it really depends on which Pokemon is shiny.

For example, Treecko's shiny sprite almost makes you want to vomit, while Rampardos's doesn't look to bad.

I've only found two (Legit) shiny Pokemon. The first was the Shiny Gyarados in lake of Rage, but that's an inevitability.

The second was a shiny Zubat in SlowpokeWell, which I caught (Yay!)

To me, shinies are simply trophies. But I prefer not to use them, as I usually prefer the original colour scheme.

ChrisTheChaosGamer

Hailing From Hoenn
    Years
  • honestly, i love the implication of shiny pokemon in the games. there's only one thing i would love to see though. it's the fact that if you catch a shiny, it should have a base stat increased. other than that, i think shiny pokemon are great to have

Years
  • I like shinies, but I never came across one in the wild in any of my games.

I have two shinies that were traded to me from a friend, a Gloom (that will be a Vileplume) and a Mightyena.

I really want to encounter one in the wild one day though.

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • When I bought a copy of Pokemon Platinum off eBay (used condition) I noticed they hadn't wiped their data off it. So I took a look and there was a few shinies there! A Tyranitar, Roserade and that. So I transfered them over ,as well as some useful items, to my Soul Silver game.

billi1000

The Ruler of Darkness - Zekrom
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    The thaught of how rare shinies are make trainers crave to have one on their team. Once in gold, the Ho-oh on top of Tin Tower that i encountered was shiny, thaught the game was glitching because Ho-oh's colour was so weird, then i caught it anyway then to realise it was shiny :P, and well no one who has played Gold/Silver or HG/SS hasnt really encountered a shiny as red Gyarados is definitely counted.

Peach Fresca

Underrated Pokémon Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2010
    To be honest, I'm torn when it comes to shinies. I love my shiny Mightyena to death, but I don't think I'd care for any more. (Loses it's "specialness.")

Also, a lot of shiny pokémon just look dumb.. Sure, you have your occasional awesome (Golden Mightyena, white Eevee, black Charizard to name a few.) On the other hand, you get those puke green ones (Espeon, Jolteon, etc.)

Although I wouldn't say no to a shiny ditto. :]

Ghrimm

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • 1. I think shinies are cool, the alternate coloration is fun.
    2. I've only ever found one shiny (legally)
    3. It was a Weedle in SS. Then someone stole my game and DS D:

Sapeiro

Random Trainer
    Years
  • I don't particulary (sp?) care about getting shinies or not in my games, though I have had my share of good luck regarding them.

My first shiny ever was a Noctowl, in my Pokémon Gold game. I nearly teared with joy, since I had recently seen the anime episode where Ash catches one xD
    Then, the ever present Gyarados, a Zubat and a Pidgey in emulators...

My most prized one was the shiny Lugia I found in the same game I found Noctowl... I was all like OMG A SHINY LUGIA MASTERBALL! Too bad it was stolen (the cartidge) T__T

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • I <3 shinies. All I pretty much do on my beaten Plat. is train and chain.

Only two random shiny encounters, but I've chained about 10 shiny pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    1. Do you like shinies?
    I actually don't care about them. ._.

2. Have you ever found a shiny?
    Once, but I didn't manage to get it.

3. If so, what pokemon was it?
    Cubone, in Rock Tunnel, Crystal Version.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • 1. Yeah, I think they're a pretty cool gimmick.
    2. Actually, I saw(and caught) my very first shiny ever 5 seconds ago and rushed to the first shiny thread I could find to tell everyone. I thought they were so rare I would never find one!
    3. About 20 seconds ago, I caught a shiny Lotad!

FlameDancer

gif ****.
    Years
  • I'm not that interested with shinies. With the point that it doesn't really give additional stats in a pokemon. I have caught two but I forgot what it was. A shiny Butterfree, I guess? xD;

MushroomZOMBIE

♪ ~Just A Social Distortion
    Years
  • 1. Do you like shinies?
    > Not really. There are some gems [Beldum line, anyone?], but most are just plain fugly

2. Have you ever found a shiny?
    > No. At least to me, the Lake of Rage Gyarados doesn't count since everyone can catch one.

3. If so, what pokemon was it?
    > N/A

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Due to the insane rarity of shinies, I don't really care much for them, but when one shows up, I get psyched.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    Hmm... Shinies, they don't make any difference...
    They are just collection or for bragging rights,
    they don't have god like stats or stronger in particular... :S
    Though I have a few favorites :P

I had a shiny Torterra, starter from Diamond.
    Hatched a shiny Eevee, shiny Igglybuff in Ss,
    Got a shiny Electivire and Swampert from trade this morning.
    When I was playing my brother's Lg I found a shiny Tentacool and shiny Pidgey,
    so I cloned them on Emerald,
    also caught a shiny Poochyena and a shiny Bagon. [:

Last edited:

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • I like some of the shines but one day i look at a shiny pokedex and of the 493 pokes, i only like about 20 XD
    I've caught many of them:

Poliwag in Gold
    Makuhita in Ruby
    Farfetch'd, Geodude, Shinx, Skuntank, Noctowl in Diamond

And of course i've RNG a lot of shinies.

Personally i think that a shiny is like any other pokemon, i'm not a really great fan of shinies if they look ugly (like shiny Dragonite or shiny Alakazam =S)

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    I love shinies, but I am yet to see/catch one in :|
    Oh well, my time will come :)

Back