• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Top 5 'Most Hated' Sequels

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
  • Plenty of franchises make a successful first run and try for second. However, that doesn't always payoff, for the consumer or the game designers. This thread is here for you to list your 5 least favorite sequels in the gaming industry in ranked order. Mind you, these "sequels" do not necessarily have to be the second game in their respective franchises. It can be any sequel, remake or reboot. From Final Fantasy II to Call of Duty: Ghosts, take your pick and list 'em below.

List Organization:

1 - Being the absolute most hated. (IYO)

5 - Being the lowest ranked game you hate.

Have at it, guys.

Years
  • 1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    2. Sonic and the Black Knight
    3. New Super Mario Bros. 2
    4. Final Fantasy VIII
    5. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2

TY

4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

From this game it went downhill quickly with CoD. It was rubbish, a story which felt like it was made in 3 days and the worst multiplayer experience you could ever get (on PS3). Sold this game (The only game i sold btw.) 1 month later.

3. Need for Speed Undercover

I didnt like this game at all. The controls were pretty messed up and somehow i made turns as fast as my APM in StarCraft II is... Besides the customization was awful in this game aswell.

2. Battlefield 3

The game didnt attract me as much as Bad Company 2 did. The campaign was meh and multiplayer is all about who gets the tank, wins the game, or Shotgun Madness in non-tank maps. Another EA failure imo.

1. Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight

This game... its just pure crap. EA should pay you millions to even play one minute, cause its horrible. It all starts with the opening cutscene which is just awful and cheap and even the gameplay is C&C unworthy... EA killed C&C with this game... props to EA, now ya (censored) can focus more on your crappy shooters and FIFA games >_>

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    1. Halo 4
    Yeah
    2. Sonic Adventure (coming off the Genesis Sonic games, I mean.)
    I will never, ever, ever get the praise for these games. Borderline unplayable.
    3. Jak II
    Why
    4. Fire Emblem: Awakening
    No
    5. Zelda II
    lol

Years
  • May as well explain why I hate each of these games:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    The only thing there really is to hate or love about it: the time system. Completely ruined the exploration for me. Yes, I know there are ways to set back the clock, but having time limits in a Zelda game has the same bitter ring to me as if animated Disney movies started to swear and use blatant product placement.

2. Sonic and the Black Knight
    I actually did enjoy a number of despised Sonic games, like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic 4, and Sonic Unleashed (including the Werehog stages). Even Sonic '06, as awkward as this is to say, was better than Black Knight. Black Knight just felt dumb, uninspired, and rushed. I felt embarrassed just playing it in a room by myself.

3. New Super Mario Bros. 2
    The coin powerup was dumb and kept killing me because I kept forgetting it doesn't make you invincible. The level design was boring and uninspired and the music was annoying and repetitive.

4. Final Fantasy VIII
    The frickin' GF system or whatever it's called. Annoying to set up, made attacks take way too long, and dampened creativity. The game was also a little slow-paced for me and I didn't care about any of the characters or the plot.

5. Pokemon Black 2 and White 2
    Boring and redundant (at least considering that I expected actual sequels rather than Crystal-style remakes). I haven't even beaten the 7th Gym yet.

I will never, ever, ever get the praise for these games. Borderline unplayable.
    The platforming can be awkward if you don't take time to get used to it, especially if you invested a lot of time into the Genesis ones first and thus weren't accustomed to having (and needing) the homing attack. I don't think they are that praised, though. I mean, maybe SA1 and SA2 are, but it seems like Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles for the Genesis are still held up as the best in the franchise by far.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • 5. Zelda II
    lol
    Not really sure what you mean by this. In 2003, or maybe a few years after, this would pass as a "goes without saying", but nowadays it's just considered the black sheep and...well...not much else. It's not commonly hated anymore because people actually play the game, and I've played it. I certainly wouldn't say it's bad to any stretch.

...So yeah, what's the "lol"?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • 1. [S-HIGHLIGHT]Halo 4[/S-HIGHLIGHT]
    Yeah

Yeah is right. After launch, they started their slippery slope in decline.

I'm subscribed to Halo's Official page on Facebook and not one caption contest features a caption that doesn't have someone commenting at the failure that is this game. And each one of those pictures has those comments in 100s.

Any my list.
    5. Halo 4

4. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2

The story was alright and the graphics were spectacular. But the gameplay, Action-RPG elements and character roster lacked the depth from the first game.

3. Pokémon FireRed/LeafGreen

Sure the updated graphics, music and extra content was cool. But the spoon-fed information and forced tutorials made me forget that this game was a remake of Pokémon's Red and Blue.

2. Call of Duty: Ghosts/Black Ops 2

I coupled them because they're terrible for the same reasons. Mediocre story and horrible MP.

1. Final Fantasies X-2, XII, XIII & XIII-2

The series' decent into hell started with these games. Stories were terrible, fight systems were tragic. When you think of early Final Fantasy installations and then look at this collection of Chocobo Dumpage, you can agree that this isn't what Final Fantasy use to be or should be now.

Years
  • 1- that second LEGO Indiana Jones game
    5- Fable 3, some things were better in Fable 2, still playing Fable 3 a lot though
    3- Red Faction 2
    2- Medal of Honor games NOT made for GBA, Gamecube, PS2 (PS1)
    4- Animal Crossing: New Leaf, much more of a Wild World fan

Last edited:

Ranx

Baadshah :P
    Years
  • I only got 4
    1 Pokemon Black2 and White2
    Boring!

2 Halo
    Again boring

3 Call of duty black ops 2

4 Nfs Mostwanted 2
    We can just pickup the cars ? like seriously ? :/

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    1. Not sure if counts, but Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. It just pales in comparison to the other FE games I've played.
    2. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Very repetitive, doesn't compare to Minish Cap.
    3. Pokemon D/P/Pt. Remains the only Pokemon gen I've never bothered to beat.
    4. Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 2. Mostly because the first was just much better.
    5. New Super Mario Bros. They weren't bad games, just paled in comparison to the other 2D Marios.

Years
  • 5) Pokemon Black/White 2

Gen V was poor in the first place due to the lack of new hardware meaning it didn't really advance much from Gen IV plus the new pokémon were mainly horrible designs. Black & White were saved by actually having a good story, but the same doesn't apply to their sequels. Enjoyable but just not up to pokémon standard imo.

4) GTA IV

Fairly bland entry into the GTA series and it has now been shown up even further by the quality of GTA V. It was probably one of the better games in terms of taking advantage of the X360/PS3 at the time, but it wasn't as exciting as GTA should be. Still sort of good.

3) Halo Reach

Just purely not as fun as Halo 3, the introduction of those special abilities was a fair bit annoying (especially the one that made your Spartan invincible for 5 seconds or whatever) and the story not as interesting. This got very boring very quickly.

2) CoD: MW3

Continuing the decline in CoD multiplayer quality started in Black Ops, this was even worse due to the fact that it also destroyed the Modern Warfare story by trying too hard to be entertaining. The twists and set pieces in MW and MW2 were fun and unexpected, this was just tiring by the end. Traded in after a week which is bad considering I played MW2 religiously for two years.

1) Saints Row The Third

Why Volition whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy? Honestly it seems like they got bored and decided to make as immature a game as possible therefore ruining a very viable (and much more fun) GTA competitor. Similar to MW3, I traded this in not long after release and got nowhere near as much playtime out of it as its predecessor.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • A lot of the games that are showing up in these lists, I liked. I loved FE Awakening and Pokémon B2W2, Majora's Mask seems like a fun game (despite me never having played it, still hoping for a 3DS remake), and GTAIV was IMO better than San Andreas (the predecessor) despite having less content. Not that I hated San Andreas, much to the contrary; IMO GTAIV was simply even better.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I actually enjoyed MW3. lmao

5.) God of War II- gameplay wise it's as good, if not even better than God of War I. Though, the story sucked for it and I hated the outcome almost as much as God of War III. God of War III had a great story though, and the gameplay was fantastic.

4.)Resident Evil 6- Resident Evil V was good, Resident Evil IV was great and Resident Evil VI was a downright dissapointment. The only thing worse than RE6 was RE: Raccoon City.

3.) Assassin's Creed III- This is probably the worst AC in the entire series. My favorite is Brotherhood.

2.) Fable III- This game just sucked.

1.) Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know- Rented this game and raged because it was so bad. The original Adventure Time on the 3DS was very fun, but the new one is the definition of suck.

Back