• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your View: Is anyone ever too old to watch Anime?

Too old to watch Anime?

• Already too old and have stopped...

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I will never stop!

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • I will outgrow it one day...

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Not sure...

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    The question posed here would be, is there a part in ones life where he/she is considered too old to be watching Anime? Do you think that one day you'll stop watching Anime because you feel that you've outgrown it? Will your children or nephews/nieces think you're immature to be watching Anime?

The main question is when (if ever) would you feel that you've outgrown Anime.

Personally, I don't see stopping anytime soon.

Discuss...

Last edited:

Ruphire

Feel the icy burn
    Years
    I personally don't think anyone could outgrow anime.

It's like outgrowing your favorite tv show.

Although, I think it'd be weird to see an old guy watching anime.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I think it depends on the anime. When you get older, I think you're more likely to realize that it's foolish to assume that a cartoon is childish just because A) it's a cartoon, and B) it's from Japan. I can't picture anyone being too old to enjoy Spirited Away.

In the words of C.S. Lewis:

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."

I might lose my nostalgia for Digimon someday, but there will undoubtedly always be some anime that I'll still enjoy.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Anime is kind of like the art form of Japan. Beatifully drawn and sometimes they convey a message. Case point, Grave of the Fireflies.
    "Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."
    I've heard this somewhere before... I think it was at the end of my copy of The Chronicles of Narnia...

So I think that Anime is like art and art is something that never fades away.

Last edited:

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I suppose it doesn't matter how old you are so long as you have the right kind of personality. Like Willy Wonka or something.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    To me you love what you love and you will always love it so in this case if you love anime as a child now so you will love it as an old man too. Does that make sense????

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
    If you think about it, anime is really no different from any other kind of television show/movie. My eighty-eight year old grandfather watches television, and he hasn't grown out of it yet(!)
    I suppose, if you got so old you had so bad macular degeneration you couldn't make out the television, but then, that's what audio description is for. Similarly, if you go deaf, subtitles.
    I mean, in the end, you can't judge how mature is/isn't a person is on whether they like or don't like a television show/movie.

So, no, I don't think you can 'grow out' anything you enjoy.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    I don't think so, I mean I said this in the other thread; most anime is made for people older than kids. I mean we can make a list that can go on for ever about anime meant for adults. However, we can make a list of about fifteen-twenty animes made for kids (oh and they can't be 4Kids kids tainted they have to be shows legitimately made for kids). Also, why is there an animation ghetto anyway?

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Age aint nothing but a number, so anime is for all ages even TV-MA is for everyone in my eyes

:t354:TG
    That I don't think I agree with. I mean like in the other thread, I showed my little cousin Elfen Lied. Though I do not regret doing it, I did it to prove not all anime is for kids. I mean I can think about about sixty titles that under no circumstances should be shown to children.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I'm not sure if I'll outgrow anime, if one day I have a kid and he/she says I'm too old to be watching it(in a serious way not one of those things when a 5 year old says whatever is at the top of their head), then I'm probably gonna stop.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    This is the type of thoughts that create the need to think about these matters in the first place.

The question posed here would be, is there a part in ones life where he/she is considered too old to be watching Anime? Do you think that one day you'll stop watching Anime because you feel that you've outgrown it? Will your children or nephews/nieces think you're immature to be watching Anime?

The main question is when (if ever) would you feel that you've outgrown Anime.
    No, never.
    Though it is true that I'm not much of a person to watch much Animes anyways, but I love what I DO watch.
    This can't be possible that I will ever outgrow Animes, or anything else in the world (yes, even riding merry-go-rounds, lol).

I have quoted something told by Ruphire here in this post, which points out exactly what I wanted to focus on.
    The thing is, most of us people tend to accept the ways in which things go around in our society and our world as it is, so an exception seems to be too much for us to take.
    Have you ever wondered WHY an old guy watching an anime is weird? Have you?

Think now, and you'll find that the answer has nothing to do with how much mature a person is at all, but the only reason for which you feel this way is because everyone always told you that it is supposed to be weird, or you never had much experience of having seen an old person watching anime on their own.
    If from the time of your birth, this type of actions were presented as a normal thing to you, you would never have even thought that this could even potentially be weird, or is actually supposed to be weird.
    In the end, it's what you believe, and not what others think.
    Don't give up the things you like because of peer pressure or something like that.

To me you love what you love and you will always love it so in this case if you love anime as a child now so you will love it as an old man too. Does that make sense????
    Yes, that makes perfect sense, actually...
    I was also gonna say this.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    >Feelings< said:
    Think now, and you'll find that the answer has nothing to do with how much mature a person is at all, but the only reason for which you feel this way is because everyone always told you that it is supposed to be weird, or you never had much experience of having seen an old person watching anime on their own.
    If from the time of your birth, this type of actions were presented as a normal thing to you, you would never have even thought that this could even potentially be weird, or is actually supposed to be weird.
    In the end, it's what you believe, and not what others think.
    Don't give up the things you like because of peer pressure or something like that.
    Which is the exact reason that boys don't wear skirts or crossdress.
    No, I'm not gay or a crossdresser if that's what you're thinking, just making my point.

Ruphire said:
    Which is the exact reason I posed this question. That and Icomeanon6's Anime is not for kids thread.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    Manga and Anime are created with all age groups in consideration. That's why you have Shonen (Boys), Shoujo (Girls), Seinen (Men) etc. So no, you can't really outgrow it IMO.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    In the words of C.S. Lewis:

Wow, great quote. That's something I've always thought myself. Kudos to Lewis; I didn't know he was so insightful.

But yeah, one can't really outgrow anime. I can see someone getting sick of it, or thinking it's not as great as he or she once thought it was, but saying that one can outgrow it implies that it is a childish thing by nature; something which can be disproved with hundreds of counter-examples.

bluecat

just another day
    Years
    Anime is just like all other television, there is something out there for everyone. Just cause it's animated does not mean only youth can watch it.

So while my anime watching may dip and peak over time (it already does), I'll probably watch some anime or another every once and awhile. Heck my mom watches the Miyazaki films, and she's 60. That's anime. :p

Back