• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your View of God

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I wasn't raised religious, so therefore for me, I don't have any ties to a specific way of looking at god. However, I do believe there is a higher being. Whether or not that being had profits or wrote books or is the sole reason behind the creation of anything is beyond me. I do find religions to be fascinating, so I love learning about what different religions believe and I find myself agreeing with certain aspects of different ones, but I don't believe enough to be completely religious myself...if that makes sense. Even though I do believe in a higher being, I still consider myself agnostic because I don't know what to believe about the higher being.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Cool misconstrued definition of "atheist", bro. I've come to expect no less from you.

Atheism is not "believing there is no god", atheism is "not believing there is a god". It is the lack of belief, it is not a belief.

All atheists I know personally believe that there is no God. Perhaps you are confusing pure atheism with agnostic atheism.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    All atheists I know personally believe that there is no God. Perhaps you are confusing pure atheism with agnostic atheism.
    Actually, Atheists reject any belief from anyone, in any god. Including themselves, as you say, but Atheists don't have a belief, secularists have the belief, atheists have a "truth".

Years
    The root of this all arguement is the fact that we realy know nothing, if you think about it. Modern humans have been around for only 50,000 years - a geologic blink of an eye. We came up with organized religion, and science, as a way to understand the unknown. There are many things in the world we don't understand, and may never will. User Penatrait wins the thread so far - Our universe is so vast, deep and complex, that there may very well be some sort of greater force, whatever that may be, pulling the strings. Or not, it may all be a random assortment of events and happenstances.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years

I don't know many atheists that consider themselves gnostic atheists. I'm sure there are some, but they're in the minority, because as you said, it's kind of ridiculous. And gnostic atheists can be called hard, positive, strong or explicit atheists, but not pure. Since atheism by itself is the lack of belief in gods. Nowhere is the definition believes there are no gods.

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Atheists don't go around blindly. There is no evidence of a God existing -- the world revolves as if there isn't one. I don't see how being atheist is cool or controversial or why someone would become atheist based off that, isn't that kind of.. stupid? I wouldn't become a Christian just because "everybody else is doing it." I don't believe in God. That's it.

You're implying every atheist necessarily blindly believes in atheism.

Tooth Fairy deniers can't prove that there is no Tooth Fairy. Can you prove that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist? Would you be persuaded with that argument to think that the Tooth Fairy can exist?

You're dumbing down the issue at hand incredibly using this argument. The tooth fairy has nowhere near the same gravity as would a God if it were to exist. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Boogeyman are all children's tales.

But keeping an open mind would mean you also are open to the idea that such a higher force doesn't exist. And I think it's quite the opposite in most homes; the close-minded household that one typically thinks of in the United States is one which dictates to its children that there is a God and there is no questioning that. It doesn't really strike me as something that happens in the reverse anywhere near as often (There is no God and you won't question that, Billy!)

Yes, and I've been an atheist. I've once believed that there is no God, based on all the arguments you atheists love to use. But I gradually changed my mind, just like I'm sure you did because you weren't an atheist from birth, and became Agnostic. That's what I would consider myself to be now. And, well (a) I'm not American, and (b) how do you know? With atheism rising so much these days, maybe we don't have families who are like that but we may very well see some that are. Atheism is a belief, just as religion is. If you're truly an atheist who revokes anyone else's beliefs (just like you are doing me), you would probably tell your son to not believe in a God. Atheists can be closed-minded too, you have to realize that. Just because you go against the norm doesn't mean you're immediately a Liberal.

Actually I think it's strange to think, based on that information, that one would think that there IS a God. What about our size in comparison to the universe should imply anything about the existence of God?

Use your imagination, buddy. Science can only tell you what we have access to now. We haven't been able to fly past the moon. This may be a bad argument because I'm implying ants and other bugs have a consciousness, but if they did, do you really think they could imagine who we are to them? Or even smaller than that, bacteria? We would be Gods to them. We would be the higher beings that are changing their habitats. When I was a kid, I would always plug ant-holes for fun. If they were conscious enough to contemplate that something did that, then don't you think they would come up with the same type of rationalization? There must be some sort of higher power.

Your argument is perplexing, given that you believe in a God and make this point. This is the sort of remark that most atheists would make to those who believe in God who feel that there's some afterlife they're going to--and one that strictly humans are going to, as most Christians don't believe animals have souls.

Rather, it is the argument of an atheist to say that it is the religious person who is self-centered and self-important to feel that they are entitled to an afterlife, or that there is a higher intelligence that created the universe (and man) in His own image.

You seem to think I'm of a religion. I'm not, I just believe what I do. I'm an agnostic.

Why would it be more surprising that there wasn't a higher power in the universe? Wouldn't it be the opposite, that the fact that we exist on this planet implies that life can exist elsewhere, but our lack of an ability to demonstrate that "He" exists makes His existence less plausible?

Simply because of the vastness of the Universe. I'm accepting beings and existences that can live without our natural restrictions. We live off of Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen mostly, some Nitrogen. Who says that our periodic elements are all that exist in the world? That's what exists on Earth sure, but prove to me that there is not more in the Universe. You don't know the composites of a greater being, neither do I. How can you deny a deity? I can't.

Okay, although why exactly you arbitrarily decide to believe in God is a mystery.

Where did God come from? Was he always here, or did He arise out of nothing? As Carl Sagan said, why not save a step and say the Universe was always here, or came from nothing?

What exactly is reassuring about the existence of a higher power, anyway?

I find it juvenile you ask me those questions knowing full well I can't answer them.

Dunno, what's more reassuring about believing in no God?

But if there is some higher power as you believe, would you not think He had some power or control over your life? Why would He not have the power to do so?

If He can't intervene in human affairs or establish in any way that He exists, then why presume that He exists at all? And of what need that He exists is there, again?

Oh, sir, you have all the right questions don't you. As I said, it's a tough one. But you gotta take the good with the bad. If there is a higher power, you can't deny that your life is really for nothing. That you have no control over it. I may believe in some sort of higher power, doesn't mean I'm content with the possibility 100%. Not everything is black and white.

I think this explains the reason for the similarities in arguments to those of secularists. It sounds like the mentality of an anti-conformist who doesn't want to be "just one of those atheists." It sounds to me like you more have a problem with populism than you do with not believing in a God. And if that's the case, then you should know that there are way more people believing in a God in the world than there are atheists. So if you have problems with looking like a conformist, you're in with the "wrong" crowd.

haha, I can see how that sounded that way. It was honestly just a remark I was making, something that I was noticing. I don't not believe in atheism just because I don't want to follow a trend. Of that, I assure you.

Saying that Atheists can't prove there is no God is quite possibly the dumbest excuse to use. Religion can't prove there is one. No one can prove anything regarding the existence of God, so that argument has no basis.

Not really. It's still true, no matter how "dumb" of an excuse it may be. And don't you think that, if you're a true believer in a religion, that the belief in the religion proves the God within itself? It may not be true for everyone, but, as you can plainly see from this thread, religion is a very personal thing. It does not matter of what belief you're from, if the next guy truly believes in something, that's all the proof he needs.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I don't see how teaching your kids atheism is an equivalent to teaching them a religion. One has no dogma, it's not really anything, it's a lack of something. 'Teaching atheism' is actually 'teaching that religion is false'. The evidence tends to point in that direction. Obviously not all of it, since some parts of religion are unfalsifiable. But science teaches us to ignore things that are unfalsifiable, since there is physically no way to know if they're true or not.

Regardless, a lot of atheists actually suggest that teaching kids directly atheism, removes the ability for a child to learn to think critically for themselves. Instead that it's a better idea to teach critical thinking skills and let that logically flow into them becoming atheists by themselves. Religion is only so effective because they are taught it at a young age, before they develop the ability to think critically. I realise there are some adult converts, but not nearly as much of the influence as the indoctrination of children.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Teaching kids "religion is false" and "there is no God" is teaching positive, gnostic beliefs. Saying "there is no proof that x religion is not true" or "there is no proof of the existance of God" is agnosticism. Atheism is a relogion.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Saying "there is no proof that x religion is not true" or "there is no proof of the existance of God" is agnosticism.

It is also atheism (at least the second one). I think your definition of atheism and/or religion is skewed from the general standard somewhat.

atheism n.
    1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God
    2. a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

religion n.
    1. a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny; "he lost his faith but not his morality"
    2. an institution to express belief in a divine power; "he was raised in the Baptist religion"; "a member of his own faith contradicted him"

These two words are simply not compatible.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Does it matter if atheism is religion or not...? It's a belief that no higher beings exist. Or a non-belief. What is the difference, and why does it matter?

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    Does it matter if atheism is religion or not...? It's a belief that no higher beings exist. Or a non-belief. What is the difference, and why does it matter?

Religions have a set of dogma attached to their beliefs, a worldview that goes along with them. Atheism does not. It is only having no belief in any gods, and nothing more.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Seems like this particular argument is more nitpicking than anything, though.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread. Already wrote down my thoughts and I'm not getting sucked into a pointless argument.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    Since my last post was deleted...

Teaching kids "religion is false" and "there is no God" is teaching positive, gnostic beliefs. Saying "there is no proof that x religion is not true" or "there is no proof of the existance of God" is agnosticism. Atheism is a relogion.

Atheism is not a religion, and it's nothing more than misinformation to attempt to state that it is. Atheism is just having no belief in any gods, and nothing more. "A/gnostic" is a statement of knowledge, and has nothing to do with belief.

Gnostic atheist: "I believe there is no god."
    Agnostic atheist: "There is no evidence of a god, so I do not believe in one."

Now, there are religions in which one can be an atheist, but again, atheism is not the religion. There are Buddhist atheists, Hindu atheists, pagan atheists, Jain atheists, Confucian atheists, Jewish atheists, etc.

"If atheism is a religion, then not collecting stamps is a hobby"

By the way, next time instead of deleting my post, just PM me. I would have willingly edited my post.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Most people believe religion is about faith. Doesn't faith require letting critical thinking subside?

That teaching critical thinking thing is just one of the ideas I've found people have around the atheist community.

Last edited:

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    I was born and raised as a Muslim. I've been practising Islam throughout my whole life. I am still learning a lot as I go. Yes, I believe in the existence of God/Allah who is the creator and sustainer of the universe since that is a core tenet of Islam. I don't really need any scientific evidence or proof for that matter because the Holy Quran itself is a message from Allah to the humanity and half of the book mainly focuses on Tauheed: unity and oneness of Allah and his attributes. Moreover, it also tells about the miracles that the prophets received from Allah. Without any doubt, the holy book is still authentic as it was 1400 years ago. What more evidence do I need? Just think about it, Who is controlling this huge and complicated universe? How come the sun, moon, planets, etc are functioning properly? Who created human beings and all other creations? Obviously, nothing can come into existence by accident or out of magic. There has to be some sort of a higher power somewhere that binds us, right? If there was no god, everything would be meaningless without any ultimate purpose and nothing would carry any significance. For me, Islam has taught me what is the purpose of life. This life is nothing but just a test from God. If anyone had ever seen god, how could they be in a fair test? Having said that, it's not necessary to have any scientific reasoning or logic to prove the existence of God, you can always use your common sense.

Last edited:

Gabri

m8
    Years
    I am seeing this become another God vs. God (or non-God) thing...

My view of God? The creator. Simple as that. I don't follow any religion, but following the laws of physics themselves, all the universe can't simply appear from nothing.

I'll just leave it this way, for I don't want to be a Nazi and telling people what to believe in.

Years
    Having said that, it's not necessary to have any scientific reasoning or logic to prove the existence of God, you can always use your common sense.
    I see. A respectable amount of Earth's population lack common sense.

Just think about it, Who is controlling this huge and complicated universe? How come the sun, moon, planets, etc are functioning properly? Who created human beings and all other creations? Obviously, nothing can come into existence by accident or out of magic. There has to be some sort of a higher power somewhere that binds us, right? If there was no god, everything would be meaningless without any ultimate purpose and nothing would carry any significance.
    I don't want to reply to that. I'm going to pretend I never read that.

One last thing, god bless atheism!

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    I say not possible. I mean, wouldn't he stop all these nasty wars, change my username, etc?

So you blame God for all the nasty wars, evil tragedies and so on? you know, there is a thing called free-will? Of course, God has given us a freedom of choice to choose between what's right and what's wrong. Like I said in my previous post, this life is merely a test, nothing more than that. When humans commit evil or major sins, they are failing in their test. They are misusing their abilities that God has entrusted them with. The duty to strive against evil in this world is a duty that is entrusted to human beings as a test. We have been given free will so we can make good use of it and to follow and search for the right path. If we deviate from the path of righteousness, Satan would be doing one heck of a job. Here's a quote from the Quran: "Evil has appeared on land and sea because of what the hands of men have earned (by oppression and evil deeds, etc) that Allah may make them taste a part of that which they have done, in order that they may return in repentance. (Surah Ar-Rum, 30:41)

Back