• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zika virus now contracting domestically in the US

Years
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/health/zika-virus-florida-case.html

This is definitely pretty alarming, now that it's been discovered mosquitoes in Florida have been confirmed to transmit the disease locally.

How do you guys feel of this? As a Floridian myself, I feel even more scared to be bitten by a mosquito because I wouldn't know if it was carrying the disease or not, especially now that it's being contracted domestically without transmission from person to person.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I've done a math project in regards to the Zika virus last semester. As far as I'm concern, although there's no cure for it, the symptoms of the virus would only last for a few days until the infected victim gets back to health again (plus death by Zika is very rare). The only serious case about it is its connection to smaller heads of newborn babies from third-world countries. Other than that, I don't think it's something to worry about since the virus itself is only a nuisance.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
    Zika management is not very difficult. As Pinkie above said, the only cause for concern is microcephaly- children being born with slower brain size/growth rate. So the only population at risk are pregnant women. Other than that, Zika symptoms are terribly underwhelming- rash, fever, headache, maybe some muscle pain if the nervous system gets involved (very rare cases)- but that's about it.

Years
    According to the latest news, the domestic zika count in the US is now up to 25, but it's still only within that small area in South Florida and hasn't spread elsewhere yet.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Oh, I just left Florida, lmao. I was in the Ft. Walton/Destin area mostly though, so no where near southern FL. But Alabama being a neighboring state, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. I mean, it's got a while before it would make it up here I'm sure, but still. It's literally right over the border...

Years
    Oh, I just left Florida, lmao. I was in the Ft. Walton/Destin area mostly though, so no where near southern FL. But Alabama being a neighboring state, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned. I mean, it's got a while before it would make it up here I'm sure, but still. It's literally right over the border...
    If anything, I should probably be more concerned since I'm a lot closer to the source than you are, and the fact that mosquitoes are quite common around where I live. :/

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Oh wow that's bad to the people who live there :(
    Hopefully it doesn't spread too much.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2016
    My grandparents live in Florida so that scares me.....I know this is cruel to say, but they're old and close to dying already so.......yeah I don't know where I'm going with this.

Anyways, I'm glad I live up north where those mosquitoes can't find me,,,well there are still mosquitoes where I live they just don't carry diseases....that I know of 0_0
    And summer is almost ending ( :( ) so they'll die off soon because it's freaking cold here once October starts.

Back