• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Zubats,Swoobats,and heart stamps oh my!

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
Years
  • Haha so while playing B/W did anyone notice the obvious pokemon population problem? I mean every 3 steps I ran into pokemon. Was it just me? I also found myself missing zubats. O_O I never thought I would say that. Did you guys notice anything like that or have any moments that you missed an older attribute of the games?

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
  • actually....

yes... i have two... i thought in cave i would see a million of swobats...

but you don't really

its a good mix of all cave pokes and dust plumes

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I never had that issue. I could clear large amounts of grass without a battle, and most floors to various caves with only one or two battles. It was a bit of a hassle finding Pokemon for me cause they didn't always appear that often.

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
    Years
  • haha I had the opposite problem. It seemed every other step was filled with more patrats and lillipups. Though i never really ran into things while in the caves.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • There was... Something for this question recently.

And yeah. It's been proven that encounter rate is higher in B/W. It's because the routes are smaller and there's less grass (and most of the grass can be bypassed easily). That's why they also added more trainers--it's to help you get ready for battle against the Gym Leaders and stuff.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2011
    I never had an issue with rampant pokemon battles. Strange. Maybe in certain areas or at certain times the encounter rate just increases?

GhostOfPhazon

Hacker Wannabe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2011
    I definitely recall raging intensely at least a few times about how often I was encountering wild Pokemon. I wasn't even an issue of fending them all off; just the sheer amount of time wasted was pretty irritating. I think at one point I just began carrying at least seven of every kind of repel with me at all times. I mostly saved it for the caves, though. I could deal with it most of the time, but inside caves... Well, other people have already mentioned encountering wild Pokemon every couple of steps.

And on the note of wild Pokemon in caves, yes, I did find myself missing Zubat. But that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I like Zubat despite how annoying they can be in the wild and the fact that I just disliked Swoobat for some reason.

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
    Years
  • Swoobat wasn't really as annoying as zubat. I mean I still hate zubats but I think being frustrated by a zubat and watching your pokemon destroy themselves because they are confused if like a right of passage. Every game had that. I also did notice that there were so many trainers as stated by gymnotide

GhostOfPhazon

Hacker Wannabe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2011
    Swoobat wasn't really as annoying as zubat. I mean I still hate zubats but I think being frustrated by a zubat and watching your pokemon destroy themselves because they are confused if like a right of passage. Every game had that. I also did notice that there were so many trainers as stated by gymnotide

No, I don't think I actually noticed that there were more trainers than in the other games. But then, it had been a while since the last time I had played a Pokemon games, so maybe I just didn't remember that there shouldn't have been that many trainers.

And yeah, I don't mean Swoobat is necessarily more annoying than Zubat... But I just don't really like Swoobat for some reason.

Qin

The Flaming Rat's General!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2011
    Zubat and Swoobat both became hated adversaries of mine. VERY quickly.
    But no, I saw no population problem in the game. Pokemon appeared more-or-less as they did before.

GhostOfPhazon

Hacker Wannabe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2011
    Yeah, there are some abilities that can raise/lower the encounter rates if the Pokemon with the ability is sitting in the first slot of your party. Intimidate is an example.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • To me Swoobat are the new Zubat while Frillish are the new Tentacool. The two of them feel a lot more annoying to me because I have noticed my large amounts of spending on Max Repels due to the frequency in running into Pokemon but I wouldn't say that I miss them.

:t354:TG

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Tbh I didn't notice it until I put down White and when to play Pearl and Firered. I had no trouble with the low encounter rate, and it was painfully obvious that the encounter rate in White was soooo much higher. I'm afraid to go back and play White again now because I'll get very annoyed with that very fast...or when I do I'm going to go stock up on repels hahah.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • IIRC, Swoobat doesn't appear in the wild, only Woobat does (Swoobat evolves from Woobat via happiness, so that could be why it doesn't show up in the wild). I think they're just as annoying as Zubat, since they kept showing up in Wellspring Cave when I was hunting for Roggenrola.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I really didn't mind or notice the amount of Pokemon, because they were all new and all cool so it was nice running into all of them and seeing the sparkly animated sprites and stuff.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Pokemon Trainer Touko said:
    Yup, I run into a wild Poke every 2 steps. D:< So annoying. >n<;;

Exactly. It drives me crazy that I can't walk through a grassy area without encountering three or four pokemon!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • In caves it was more or less Boldore that kept appearing and irritating me because of Sturdy...

But I found the higher encounter rate helpful for those times when I needed to level grind my team. And when I didn't I just used Repel.

Back