• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The PC Pokkén Dojo

Years
  • Pokkén on PC!
    image.jpg1_zpssoo8yr8u.jpg

PC Plays Pokkén

Friendly:
    You can use the VS Code #PCPLAYS to find Friendly Matches online with your fellow members of PokéCommunity!
    For further information, posting that you're online and looking for matches or to make plans, head on over to;
    Find & Play Friendly Matches!

League:
    The League is ongoing and you may join at any time, battling as little or as often as you like!
    PC Pokkén League

Tournaments:
    Tournaments differ from league matches in that each tourney has a theme, with their own set of rules.
    Mirror Tourney: Chandelure [Active]
    Get-Together Tourney [Finished]
    Partner Tourney [Finished]

PC's Pokkén Dojo

Fighter Pokémon:
    Blaziken Guide
    Garchomp Guide
    Gardevoir Guide
    Lucario Guide
    Machamp Guide
    Weavile Guide
    Spotlight on... Chandelure!
    Spotlight on... Pikachu Libre!

Support Pokémon:
    Spotlight on... Cubone & Diglett!
    Spotlight on... Pachirisu & Magikarp!

Stages:
    Spotlight on... Ferrum Dojo!

NPCs:
    Spotlight on... Alyssa!

Misc:
    Spotlight on... Amiibo!
    Spotlight on... The Soundtack!
    Spotlight on... Titles!
    "Combo Craftsperson"

If you need some help or are looking for some tips just post them here and you can rely on a fellow member to come to your aid!

Likewise if you have any hints to pass on or experiences to share you can do so in this thread, or for more substantial guides you can create a new thread and I'll keep this post updated with any relevant links!

If you want to unwind after all that training and battling join us over at The Champions Inn for a chat and a laugh!

Browse all threads tagged with the Pokkén Tournament category.​

CSS by [user]Achromatic[/user]

Last edited:
    Years
  • Alright, cool. I have a question.

I often battle Braixens when playing random battles online... When in Field Phase, they ONLY use their side ranged attack (it looks like five consecutive fireballs, then one big one). This makes them very predictable, but my slow Machamp can't approach for anything. I try shielding like crazy, using my Midair X, or roll-cancelling a counter attack, but Braixen always outruns me... I'm fine once I get into Duel Phase, but sometimes that's not good enough to get a win.

What would you all do in these situations?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Tips for new players (particularly if you're new to fighting games in general):

1) The very first thing you should do when starting up the game for the first time (after creating your avatar) is to go into Practice mode and do all 5 tutorials. The game does a good job here at explaining the controls and important core mechanics, such as the Attack Triangle, in addition to a few general fighting basics (ignore how the last 2 tutorials claim they teach you high level knowledge, it's all actually more basic fighting game stuff, so do them).

2) Pick a main. That one Pokemon you want to spend the most time playing as and the one you want to get best with (the game uses the term "Partner Pokemon" instead of main btw). It's a lot easier to get good if you just focus on one or two characters rather than multiple. If you know from the get-go which Pokemon you want to main, you're good to go. If not, go into Free Training and mess around with the roster and see who's the most appealing to you.

3) Go through the Action Dojo. Here you'll learn all the basic actions, combos, and techniques required for your Pokemon. This is particularly important for the less intuitive characters like say Gardevoir or something. The Combo Dojo is, in my opinion, not necessary at all since it teaches you the fancier/more technical (for this game anyway) and/or situational combos. You'll get by just fine without them really; Pokken very much lacks emphasis on technical stuff and combos. Going through the tutorials and Action Dojo will give you the foundations you need to start improving and succeed.

4) Get lots of experience fighting. All the stuff you learn in training mode is useless if you can't apply it during a real fight, and the only way to do is, well, actually fighting. Jump into Single Battle mode, the Ferrum League, or even online Friendlies to start getting a feel for the game.

5) Don't. Mash. Buttons. It's very common among new players to just walk up and start slamming the same button(s) over and over and over again. Don't do it. You have all these other options, please use them. Button mashing makes you very predictable and easy to defeat.

6) Related to the above, if something is not working, try something else. Another thing I've seen a lot of online is people not trying to do anything different even though what they're trying has failed many times. They'll literally just keep repeating the same pattern and never try to change things up, it's almost like they don't get it's not working and isn't going to work.

Years
  • Alright, cool. I have a question.

I often battle Braixens when playing random battles online... When in Field Phase, they ONLY use their side ranged attack (it looks like five consecutive fireballs, then one big one). This makes them very predictable, but my slow Machamp can't approach for anything. I try shielding like crazy, using my Midair X, or roll-cancelling a counter attack, but Braixen always outruns me... I'm fine once I get into Duel Phase, but sometimes that's not good enough to get a win.

What would you all do in these situations?

Hmm, tricky! If you can predict the timing would Machamp be able to jump over them maybe?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can't think of anything Machamp specific but what support Pokemon do you tend to roll with? Stuff like Togekiss, Whimsicott, and Cubone can all help out in some way against getting around projectile zoning, at least temporarily.

Years
  • I can't think of anything Machamp specific but what support Pokemon do you tend to roll with? Stuff like Togekiss, Whimsicott, and Cubone can all help out in some way against getting around projectile zoning, at least temporarily.

I tend to use either Cresselia or Cubone. I find Cubone's attack doesn't quite reach far enough... Whimsicott sounds perfect! I'll definitely give her a go the next time I face a Braixen.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ok, so, how are you supposed to fight Sceptile? This is the one MU (besides Mewtwo and Gengar, but those 2 are just slightly borked is all) that consistently gives me problems and I can't figure out what to do.

Years
  • Ok, so, how are you supposed to fight Sceptile? This is the one MU (besides Mewtwo and Gengar, but those 2 are just slightly borked is all) that consistently gives me problems and I can't figure out what to do.

Sorry, I haven't visited this thread in a while...

Anyways, about facing Sceptile, I find they play very defensively in field phase, then come in for the kill during duel phase.

I like to take the initiative and charge in guns ablaze during field phase. As long as they're busy tossing projectiles around, I can usually land my quicker attacks. Otherwise, I'll try to bait a powerful move to shield, and then use a bigger attack.

In duel phase, you always need to watch for the ranged grab he has... If you find you're in that danger zone, start jumping or dashing around. If you see Sceptile running up for a combo, I'd shoot a few projectiles, and if your character doesn't have projectiles, I think Fennekin might help. Fortunately, a lot of Sceptile's attacks are slow and punishable. As long as they fail to start up a combo, you've got a free hit in!

I hope this helped somewhat... I have another question myself. Why is it that my burst attack deals less damage after I use a combo? Most times, it'll deal over two hundred damage (I use Machamp). However, if I were to do something like Down X X --> Jump --> Midair Y --> Down X X --> Burst Attack (while the opponent is still airborne) it'll only do around one hundred... Thanks!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Why is it that my burst attack deals less damage after I use a combo? Most times, it'll deal over two hundred damage (I use Machamp). However, if I were to do something like Down X X --> Jump --> Midair Y --> Down X X --> Burst Attack (while the opponent is still airborne) it'll only do around one hundred... Thanks!
    That's how combos work in this game. Subsequent hits do less damage than they would if you just hits them with that move by itself. The decrease in damage gets larger as you keep comboing, so the individual moves at the tail end of a long combo do little. If you did one hit and then did burst attack the BA would do more than in your longer combo, but still less than if you just hit them with it raw.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Nearly every fighting game implements damage scaling by the number of hits you do in a combo to balance out damage on raw attacks vs long combos being too powerful. Special attacks like Bursts tend to have a flat cap on how much they can be reduced by, though I'm not sure if that applies here.

Back