Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 11th, 2014 (04:40 AM). Edited 19 Hours Ago by Spherical Ice.
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice

Pokémon Gaia Version - a hack of Fire Red

Story

The rural Orbtus region has a rich and varied history. Long ago, a prosperous civilisation populated its rocky landscape. They created several monuments to their gods and guardians, and it is believed they were wiped out by a series of disastrous earthquakes, with only their temples and idols remaining, as relics of the past.

In the present day, increased seismic activity has caught the interest of local archaeologist and Pokémon Professor, Professor Redwood. As his concern for the region's safety grows, he seeks out the assistance of new Pokémon Trainers with a flair for adventure to help him in his endeavour to save the region. In Celanto Town, on the south coast of Orbtus, he finds exactly what he is looking for, and kick-starts the journey of two talented Pokémon Trainers. One of those young people, of course, is you! Will you be able to uncover the mystery of the Orbtus region and prevent the earth from consuming it once again?

Features

• The Generation 4 physical / special / status split renders previously unusable Pokémon far more viable and effective, and significantly modernises the battling experience.
  • The Generation 6-styled capture-experience system means your Pokémon will gain EXP for every wild Pokémon you capture.
  • The Black 2 / White 2-styled Repel system. Upon expiration, you will be asked if you wish to use another Repel.
  • Infinite TMs means that you can have a team full of Diglett with Earthquake!
  • Gen. 4 - 6 Pokémon. As a varied region, Orbtus is home to Pokémon such as Drilbur, Starly, Sigilyph and many more!
  • Gen. 4 - 6 moves. While not all appear, a great deal of the newer moves, such as Sucker Punch, Draco Meteor, Moonblast, Scald, and many more, are present in the hack, with animations and proper effects.
  • Gen. 4 - 6 items. Choice Specs, Assault Vests, Dusk Stones, and more items from the newer generations are featured in the hack to deliver a more diverse and modern battling experience.
  • Gen. 4 - 6 abilities such as Mega Launcher, Magic Guard, Sheer Force, and a plethora of others are available.
  • An updated type chart is present in Gaia, meaning that Fairy-type moves and Pokémon exist, and Steel-type Pokémon no longer resist Dark- and Ghost-type moves.
  • Updated learn sets bring Pokémon to their full potential, mirroring the learn sets of their Generation 6 counterparts.
  • Updated moves make it so that moves such as Hydro Pump and Knock Off are updated to match their new effects, power and accuracy, as well as any other minor tweaks, present in the latest official games.
  • Updated sprites for both Pokémon and Trainers.
  • New items such as the Regal Stone can be found in Orbtus.
  • New moves such as the Whismur line's damaging move, Cry Out, are available in Gaia!
  • Rock Climb and climbable walls. Rock Climb will allow access to secrets and rewards!
  • Hidden Grottoes hold riches, treasures and rare Pokémon in every alcove of the region!
  • Extensive decapitalisation of multiple aspects of the game, such as GUI interfaces, Pokémon names, item names, ability names, etc.
  • Minor updates and polishes, such as the player facing Trainers before battles and the ability to use the Running Shoes indoors.

Screenshots

Special thanks and credits

Tools used

Awards

Downloads

• Gaia Beta 1.1
    Release date: 18th October, 2014
    Mirror links: dropbox .rar .zip | sphericalice.co
    Notes: This beta ends in Windmist City, after the second Gym battle. Please read the included text files for information on how to try and use older saves to play, as well as for important things to note, incomplete things, as well as information regarding the new Pokémon, moves, and much more.
  • Gaia Beta 1
    Release date: 27th September, 2014
    Mirror links: dropbox .rar .zip | sphericalice.co
    Notes: This beta ends at the three Strength boulders in Frostbite Cave. Please read the included README.txt file for information on important things to note, incomplete things, as well as information regarding the new Pokémon, moves, and much more.

Support banners

Spoiler:

Code:
[URL=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326118][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/O9qm6uO.png[/IMG][/URL]

Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326118"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LmQa4db.png[/IMG][/URL]

Code:
[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=326118"][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/smbdU9T.png[/IMG][/URL]
Old May 11th, 2014 (05:40 AM).
Hopeless Masquerade
山の新人神様
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Wow. I must say, this look really interesting.
The game looks quite mysterious, based on the story and few screens that I've seen.

I especially like the totem pole screen and the relicanth wall screen.
Old May 11th, 2014 (05:55 AM).
Andrut
Collecting dust since 1898

This looks very curious!
I really like mystic storylines and I will be definitely checking this hack out. The screenshots look very intriguing, I love libraries, too. They put me in an unusual mood. I think it'd be a great idea to visit the library often and uncover new secrets with each visit.
- Fleece
It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
Old May 11th, 2014 (05:57 AM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I saw this on romhack.me yesterday and I think it's awesome! This hack really has my attention.. but does this mean you stopped working on Cobalt?

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Old May 11th, 2014 (06:01 AM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Seems pretty interesting, but what really gets me is this:
Spoiler:

Not only does the mysterious tablet in the middle look great on its own, but it melds so fantastically with the tiles around it that it gives the illusion of 3D. I love it!

Apart from that, I'm digging this hack. You don't see too many hacks that rewards and praises exploration the way this does, and the region and its past is so mysterious that the player will have no choice but to submit to their curiosity and do so. I'm interested in seeing more of this.
Old May 11th, 2014 (06:11 AM).
Nex
Also called _Nex_

O.o That looks so awesome!
I like the fake 3D tiles

http://pokemonromhacking.wikia.com/wiki/POK%C3%A9MON_Rom_Hacking_Wiki The pokemon rom hack wiki!
http://nexisback.deviantart.com/
My DA page!
My Hack:

!Scripter(s) needed!
Hacks I support:

Old May 11th, 2014 (07:54 AM).
Sniper
ワイルドフラワー

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Sniper
Whooo hooo! Another hack of yours, yet the tiles are amazing! Also..

Sweet, sweet titlescreen!

Loving the tiles <3 Hope to see more! asdfghjkl
Old May 11th, 2014 (08:17 AM). Edited May 11th, 2014 by Spherical Ice.
Spherical Ice

Quote originally posted by itari:
Wow. I must say, this look really interesting.
The game looks quite mysterious, based on the story and few screens that I've seen.

I especially like the totem pole screen and the relicanth wall screen.
Thank you! Mystery is definitely the mood I want to establish with some parts of this game!

Quote originally posted by Andrut:
This looks very curious!
I really like mystic storylines and I will be definitely checking this hack out. The screenshots look very intriguing, I love libraries, too. They put me in an unusual mood. I think it'd be a great idea to visit the library often and uncover new secrets with each visit.
- Fleece
Thank you! That's a great idea, I was going to let you just read random books but making it change upon different visits would be an interesting gimmick!

Quote originally posted by Dark Sneasel:
I saw this on romhack.me yesterday and I think it's awesome! This hack really has my attention.. but does this mean you stopped working on Cobalt?
Thanks! Cobalt is on an indefinite hiatus, because, if I'm honest, I got bored with it. If, in the future, I feel like going back to it, I will, but that's a far way off at the moment.

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
Spoiler:

Not only does the mysterious tablet in the middle look great on its own, but it melds so fantastically with the tiles around it that it gives the illusion of 3D. I love it!

Apart from that, I'm digging this hack. You don't see too many hacks that rewards and praises exploration the way this does, and the region and its past is so mysterious that the player will have no choice but to submit to their curiosity and do so. I'm interested in seeing more of this.
Thanks! The tablet was actually an adaptation of this piece of pixel art made by the amazing Neslug -- all I did was turn it into a tile!

Quote originally posted by _Nex_:
O.o That looks so awesome!
I like the fake 3D tiles :)
Thanks!

Quote originally posted by V.V:
Whooo hooo! Another hack of yours, yet the tiles are amazing! Also..

Sweet, sweet titlescreen!

Loving the tiles <3 Hope to see more! ^^ asdfghjkl
Thank you! The Ho-oh Temple tile was made by the amazing Cuddlesthefatcat. All I did to this tile was change the perspective slightly, and make it look older, and more deteriorated.

I'm glad to see so much positive feedback in such a short span of time! Here, have another screenshot:

Old May 11th, 2014 (08:24 AM). Edited May 11th, 2014 by hashtag.
hashtag
the man in black
Community Supporter

Looks interesting, I do wonder what the Dusty Tome is. I hope you realise how good your mapping is... because it is. Good luck and gods speed.
Old May 11th, 2014 (08:56 AM).
AmazingCharizard
Pokemon Rocket Strike creator

Nature: Brave
This looks really good and not 0815. But it looks like you won't change tiles(or use a rombase)? I wonder though; is there no such criminal syndicate or bigger antagonist or won't you reveal it just now? Just curious, you know

Check out my hack "Pokemon Rocket Strike" http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319844
How to patch a rom:
1.Download the patch. If it is in a zip file then use a free tool named WinRar to unzip the file.
2.Use Google to find the rom you need.
3.PATCH THAT THING AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!
Old May 11th, 2014 (09:22 AM).
KDS

This looks to be awesome. I really like the the concept of Exploring an Ancient Civilisation. The name of the region is very cool. Good luck. :D
Old May 12th, 2014 (10:20 AM).
bigmankane

looks great! who would the starters be?
Old May 13th, 2014 (10:55 PM). Edited May 13th, 2014 by Spherical Ice.
Spherical Ice

Quote originally posted by Shinx:
Looks interesting, I do wonder what the Dusty Tome is. I hope you realise how good your mapping is... because it is. Good luck and gods speed.
Thanks! The Dusty Tome might have some significance.

Quote originally posted by AmazingCharizard:
This looks really good and not 0815. But it looks like you won't change tiles(or use a rombase)? I wonder though; is there no such criminal syndicate or bigger antagonist or won't you reveal it just now? Just curious, you know :)
Thank you! The tiles are staying the same, in the sense that I'm sticking with the FireRed-styled tiles. And, with regards to a bigger antagonist, who knows?

Quote originally posted by KDS:
This looks to be awesome. I really like the the concept of Exploring an Ancient Civilisation. The name of the region is very cool. Good luck. :D
Thanks!

Quote originally posted by bigmankane:
looks great! who would the starters be?
Thanks! I've actually mulled over what I want the starters to be quite a lot. For now, this is what I've decided on, though I do recognise that it might be quite flawed as I haven't really playtested them much for balance.

As of now, it seems like Yanma is easy-mode, with Swinub being the relatively standard starter, and Tangela being the hardest starter to train, at least to begin with. These are definitely not set in stone, but I think they're an interesting selection and fit in quite well with the ancient theme of the game (if you can work out why, good job). Their evolutions from Generation 4 will be included.
Old May 13th, 2014 (11:17 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
So Gaia finally sees the light of day :P

Everything is looking great, I especially love the totem poles and the Relicanth stone. Like Shix has said, your mapping is good and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Gaia in general. One suggestion though, I think you should move the camera down a tile or two in the screenshot with Professor Redwood. If you do that then you can get everybody in view and not have the textbox overlap the player/ rival.

Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:

As of now, it seems like Yanma is easy-mode, with Swinub being the relatively standard starter, and Tangela as the hardest (at least to begin with). These are definitely not set in stone, but I think they're an interesting selection and fit in quite well with the mood of the game (if you can work out why, good job). Their evolutions from Generation 4 will be included.
ancient powerup
Old May 13th, 2014 (11:28 PM).
jan2prado
Eat, Sleep, Repeat!

Nature: Calm
This seems pretty interesting... and mysterious at that.. I LOVE IT!! Also Swinub is kinda One Evolution ahead of the other two unless Mamoswine isn't present in the game.. but good job :D I lililililililily like it :D
Old May 14th, 2014 (01:20 AM).
Samuraipizzacats
Call me Seb

Those screenshots.. Wow! Looking forward to this hack(:
Old May 14th, 2014 (07:20 AM).
Spherical Ice

Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
So Gaia finally sees the light of day :P

Everything is looking great, I especially love the totem poles and the Relicanth stone. Like Shix has said, your mapping is good and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Gaia in general. One suggestion though, I think you should move the camera down a tile or two in the screenshot with Professor Redwood. If you do that then you can get everybody in view and not have the textbox overlap the player/ rival.
Thanks! That's a good point, I didn't notice that.
Quote originally posted by DrFuji:
ancient powerup
wow way to ruin the surprise for everyone I told you already nerd

Quote originally posted by jan2prado:
This seems pretty interesting... and mysterious at that.. I LOVE IT!! Also Swinub is kinda One Evolution ahead of the other two unless Mamoswine isn't present in the game.. but good job :D I lililililililily like it :D
Thanks! Swinub does indeed have one evolution more than Yanma and Tangela. However, the way in which it learns Ancient Power (ie through the move relearner) means that I'll be able to delay when Mamoswine is available to the player. In any case, it's likely I'll redo this selection of starters, but for now that will be what they are.

Quote originally posted by Samuraipizzacats:
Those screenshots.. Wow! Looking forward to this hack(:
Thanks!

Just some more screenshots of Phoena City.
Old May 14th, 2014 (07:41 AM).
jan2prado
Eat, Sleep, Repeat!

Nature: Calm
I just looked their Base Stats up and found that it didn't really matter actually... Tangrowth had the BST of 535, Yanmega of 515, and Mamoswine of 530... but at their pre-evolutions Swinub is at a huge disadvantage having 250 BST while the other two had 435(Tangela) and 390(Yanma and a bit low at that) and I think Piloswine should replace Swinub with a BST 430 but then Yanma would fall behind.. In this way the game would be like Yanma - Hard, Piloswine - Medium, Tangela - Easy having a base 100 Sp. Attack and 115 Base Defense at that...
Old May 14th, 2014 (08:40 AM).
PokeReject
Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by jan2prado:
I just looked their Base Stats up and found that it didn't really matter actually... Tangrowth had the BST of 535, Yanmega of 515, and Mamoswine of 530... but at their pre-evolutions Swinub is at a huge disadvantage having 250 BST while the other two had 435(Tangela) and 390(Yanma and a bit low at that) and I think Piloswine should replace Swinub with a BST 430 but then Yanma would fall behind.. In this way the game would be like Yanma - Hard, Piloswine - Medium, Tangela - Easy having a base 100 Sp. Attack and 115 Base Defense at that...
Don't forget to take in their movesets and how the Spherical would plot out the storyline.

DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA. (more banners soon to come... maybe) (hoping that Lilac comes back) DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA.
You joined for ROM Hacking, didn't you, PokeReject?
Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon. Why yes, yes I did. Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon.

Old May 14th, 2014 (12:25 PM).
Porto
Survivor

Spherical! Hurry up already! I want to play this hack. Man, it looks so awesome, all the ancient stuff and theme of the storyline :^) And damn, those tiles and title screen look beautiful! (no homo)
I can't wait to play the beta

Pokémon Haunted Version

Old May 14th, 2014 (01:31 PM).
Sniper
ワイルドフラワー

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Sniper
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
Thanks! That's a good point, I didn't notice that.
wow way to ruin the surprise for everyone I told you already nerd

Thanks! Swinub does indeed have one evolution more than Yanma and Tangela. However, the way in which it learns Ancient Power (ie through the move relearner) means that I'll be able to delay when Mamoswine is available to the player. In any case, it's likely I'll redo this selection of starters, but for now that will be what they are.

Thanks!

Just some more screenshots of Phoena City.
Nice house tile! I can't wait to see mooooore omg.
Old May 15th, 2014 (03:31 AM).
Dimebag

Nature: Gentle
Awesome job there Spherical Ice !!!I really like the story , the tiles and the original features you added like the four sages instead of the pokemon league and the hidden grottoes ( I think Black 2 / White 2 had a similar feature ) .Keep up the good work !!! Good luck on this ( and I hope you'll get back to Cobalt sometime I really liked it too )
Old May 15th, 2014 (03:32 PM).
Maglor

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
Spoiler:

This immediently caught my attention as well. The tile itself and its abillity to blend, or well Spherical's abillity to blend it in perfectly.

Sages, ancient mysteries, exploration, you've caught my attention. Looking forward to play it.
Old May 16th, 2014 (04:49 PM).
kokoromaix

Nature: Sassy
Wow! I really love the tiles, they look amazing.

Really looking forward to this hack because of the mystical themes. There's a lot of potential to the story. How much of the story is complete, just wondering?

Best of luck! Hope you finish it.

Old May 16th, 2014 (07:50 PM).
Dark Sneasel
I like being a drone.
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Dayyuuumn Spherical Ice I really like those starters. I'll definately go with Yanma, but will it have speed boost, or will you just give that to Yanmega for balancing purposes? I wish you the best of luck on this hack, again.

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links