• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digimon vs Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnel

Years
  • If we're going with games, sure Pokémon can win. But only because Digimon was never really focused on games anyway.

Now with the TV series, Digimon wins by a long shot. Better monster designs, better music (even in the dub) and much much better anime. Digimon seasons 1 and 2 are two of my favorite animes of all time, and 3 and 5 rank pretty high as well. I wouldn't even put the Pokémon anime on my "mediocre" list.

Another single thing that Pokémon wins over Digimon with, is the manga. But again, Digimon is mostly just focused on the TV series and the mangas haven't even been translated, so I don't have anything to compare with anyway.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    It's understandable that most would choose Pokemon, as this is a Pokemon forum.
    But I would choose Digimon, the animes kind of matched though, in my opinion, but what turns my vote towards Digimon is the games, I really do think that the Digimon games had much better and interesting stories, the gameplay and also a bit in a graphical point of view was better than Pokemon.
    I'm not really that sure about the animes though, they match in entertainment, but since this is just Pokemon vs Digimon, nothing saying about just the animes, I would go with Digimon.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So....I prefer Digimon over Pokemon, in anime and games.
    I like the games because, well.....Its more fun and challenging. =P I even like the story better, its pretty much my taste. xD

Last edited:

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Man, how can you compare two totally different animes, which have a few similarities and just that? Just because the name ends with "-mon" and they have creatures in there, I can't say they can actually be used as comparison material against each other. (If you're confused, feel free to tell me, I'll try to rephrase...)

...although I do like Pokemon more than Digimon. :D

END OF STORY. Plus, the fullstops and commas (and 's) AND CAPITALS live for a reason. Use them, really.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • Digimon's anime is WAAAY better than Pokemon's, especially in Japanese!

AND.. Digimon is NOT a rip-off of Pokemon! I fart in the general direction of those who foolishly think the opposite.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Like everything else, Pokémon and Digimon have their good and bad in both their anime and games. Why? Because not everything is perfect. However, if I had to choose between them both I would pick Pokémon. I've been following the anime for a longer period of time as well the their RPGs up to date. I can say that I was once a fan of Digimon and I had a lot of fun playing games with my friends, watching the show and everything. However, I've followed through with Pokémon for a bit longer and it seemed to stick more than Digimon did in the long run. Still, Digimon during Season One, Two and even Three were really enjoyable.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • I'd pick Pokémon because I've loved it for far longer. I'm more familiar with the TV show

I'd pick Digimon cause they follow them around and they can devolve into cute things again ^^
    The Digimon movies are better.
    But the evolving thing where their masters are NAKED inside them creeped me out.

so it's a tie on my vote.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I hate to say it, but you have some facts mixed up there. You're thinking of Chiaki J. Konaka, who was a writer for Serial Experiments Lain, which, like Digimon Tamers, is often compared to Evangelion.

Still, in terms of awesomeness and vision, Lain is up there with Eva. If you haven't seen it, you definitely should.
    Is that so? I guess I did mix some stuff up :S That's a bit of a bummer, but I'll make sure to check out Lain at some point then.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Digimon had its good points but pokemon just beats it into the ground :D

Suzume

Fire Fist
    Years
  • When I was a kid, and already had been a pokemon fan for a year or so, I heard about this new show called Digimon. I immediately declared that it's a complete rip-off of Pokemon, hated the show and got angry at everyone who said it was better than Pokemon. Couple years later, when I wasn't such a big fan of the Pokemon anime anymore, I accidentally watched an episode of Digimon from TV and realized that it actually seemed pretty good. Later I got really hooked to that anime and watched it every week. My mom was all: "Isn't this the show that you used to hate?" I replied: "Yeah, but then I actually watched it and realized how good it was."

So, like we can learn from this story, Digimon is really a good anime if just given a chanse. The only similarities between it and Pokemon are the name and the fact that they both have evolving monsters. Everything else is pretty much different. I like Pokemon's monster designs more, though, as I prefer simple and animal-based designs. Patamon and Piyomon are really cute though. :3 Pokemon is still better game-vice, but anime-vice Digimon wins easily.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • The Pokemon forum admin says: Digimon.

The Pokemon games are better, sure (though the DS Digimon games haven't been that bad), but Pokemon loses like all of it's momentum with it's anime side. Good god, you can only do so many episodes of a show before it gets repetitive. You can change the region, the species of Pokemon, and like one of the main characters all you want, but that doesn't make the formula fresh. At least with Digimon they introduced a new cast and the plots tended to differ somewhat. It isn't as mind-numbingly formulaic as the Pokemon anime is.

...Not to mention most Digimon look cooler.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, I like Pokemon and Digimon, but I'll have to go with Digimon.

This is because the anime is awesome, good plot, good story, and good characters with good characteristics. It is also because there is an actual danger in the Digimon World, rather than a bunch of clowns who never die in the Pokemon Universe. Both have a lot of thought put into them, like fusing an element with an animal/being, and evolutions. Digimon is more realistic, not saying it is real, but just more realistic, as in you can die. Digimon also have more evolutions, and asymmetrical creatures, though some look ugly, they are strong. In contrast to that, Pokemon is all about cute, even the Legendaries and Final Forms can look cute/cool, making it more childish. Digimon is also better (in my opinion) because there are ranks, like Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, and Mega.

Now... onto the game side:
    Pokemon is more advanced in this part, with its many features, species, and advanced calculations due to EXP and EVs. But the bad part is that the Pokemon aren't really moving. As for Digimon, the Battle Spirit series really sucked, and it was like an arcade game, but Digimon World 4 was awesome! It had many different things such as Weapons, Moves, and Stages. The only thing it lacked was different species of playable characters, so I hope that they make a sequel to that with more playable characters.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    Pokemon, both games and Anime. Cause Pokemon had at least 1 good season (the first one). Digimon is always about "oooooh no I got into my computer and now I have to save the world, while Digimons are trusting me to be their savior."
    And don't let me get started about the games.

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
  • Pokemon, both games and Anime. Cause Pokemon had at least 1 good season (the first one). Digimon is always about "oooooh no I got into my computer and now I have to save the world, while Digimons are trusting me to be their savior."
    And don't let me get started about the games.

The first season of Pokemon isn't all that great. All five Digimon seasons are entertaining. And if you ridicule saving two worlds how do you react to Pokemons 'I'ma getting me a bunch of badges by forcing my mutant animal/plant monsters to fight for my entertainment and drag it on for over 10 seasons'?
    And if the Digimon characters didn't save the digital world, it would have repercussions on the real world. Plus the Digimon needed the humans to make them digivolve.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back