• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I heard Red was tough?

Danikamakaze

★ D a n d a n
Years
  • I haven't even thought about trying to beat him yet, but luckily I'm on a training rampage
    so I'll try to get my team up to 75+ before I even bump into him x)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • my pokemon were around lvl 55 and i thrashed him :D
    used 1 revive... on my HM slave :P .
    but you have to admit his snorlax is tough :P

Slowpoke Nopoke

-formerly YanmegaLv55
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2010
    Bet him in 1 shot with a Lv100 Milotic w/ Hydro Pump, Surf, Blizzard and Recover ;)

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • From what I've seen from vids on YT, HE SUX
    The original was WAAAAAAAY better than this ridiculous idiot of a mountain-dweller.

Why does Nintendo have to create an absolutely fantastic game, then obliterate it by making it so a retarded three year old can complete it in 24 hours!!?!!
    WHY?! :P

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • lol i love how ppl say red isn't difficult but his team is much more high leveled and has better stats (type coverage 2)than in gold silver or crystal
    Also red's pokemon are higher leveled than stevens in emerald and they aren't all weak to ground

Oh yeah sweeping red's team with a level 100 IV EV trained pokemon isnt skill -.- or any iv trained ev trained pokemon for that matter. USE THE IN GAME TEAM FOR IN GAME BATTLES.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2010
    I beat him with:

Glaceon lvl 74
    Ampharos lvl 72
    Crobat lvl 69
    Typhlosion lvl 70
    Dragonite lvl 69
    Gyardos lvl 70

He's not that hard really.

SmashBro

Asian KungFu Generation Rocks!
    Years
  • I beat him with pokemon around level 60's (and Ho-oh), but then again I maxed out EV's on my pokemon (except Ho-oh) which gave me a good boost.

This was my Team:

lv. 62 Tyrannitar

lv. 60 Typhloshion

lv. 59 Gengar

lv. 62 Togekiss

lv. 61 Electivire

lv. 70 Ho-oh

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • lol i love how ppl say red isn't difficult but his team is much more high leveled and has better stats (type coverage 2)than in gold silver or crystal
    Also red's pokemon are higher leveled than stevens in emerald and they aren't all weak to ground

Oh yeah sweeping red's team with a level 100 IV EV trained pokemon isnt skill -.- or any iv trained ev trained pokemon for that matter. USE THE IN GAME TEAM FOR IN GAME BATTLES.

Couldn't agree more with the last part about sweeping with Ev'd pokes. Thats just stupid.

But theres a constant hail effect which only Lapras benefits from. And aren't his pokes leveled down since the originals?

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • Oh right.

Meh. xD
    Even so, hail takes out a 16th of health each time so I suppose it would be possible to just stall him to death with Froslass's, Mamoswines, Walreins and other ice types.
    Still.
    Red was a great idea back in the originals and he still is. If nothing else he's good to train on!

NeoZX

◊Change the Future◊
    Years
  • Red's tough. My level 100 Empoleon got KO'ed by him around 2-3 times, mainly because that's the only strong pokemon I got, the others are around Lv.50-60 at the time. Mainly, I got KO'ed because I ain't got tactics.
    Anyway, can you rematch Red after beating him?

PkMnLegend

-Legend-
    Years
  • First u need to be in lvl 75 + .. i beat him from the first time :D but i used items of course such as potions and stuff ... yea and u need all kinds off pokemon such as fire, water , grass , ice and Dragon :)
    My Team :
    Feraligatr : lvl 81
    Weepinbell:lvl78
    Pidgeot : lvl 80
    Sudowoodo:Lvl 81
    Gyarados : lvl 82
    Arcanine lvl 75

:)

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I can beat his Pikachu with ease and his Venusaur with only one Pokemon down. After that he always sends out Lapras or Blastoise and I can't beat either of them. My team is all lvl 57 or so and they're Gastrodon (first one out), Typhlosion, Steelix, Crobat, Kangaskhan, and Victreebel.

Years
  • He's not that tough, I nearly beat him first time with all my team at about lvl. 57ish, just do it tactically and use the hail to your advantage.

Tom

Sir

Years
  • By what everyone is saying, I've came to the conclusion that red is an intermediate trainer depending on the users team the difficulty can change. I need to pick up SS and try it myself..

Years
  • my advice is that if blue was a challenge then dont even bother for at least 15-20 levels

i found him really tough. i used the 13th movie arceus and it still was a challenge

Last edited:
    Years
  • I tried once, and died yeah sad right? but i haven't completed my team yes so I really have to work on it trying to gallade but both ralts i bread from my Diamond Gallade are both female gggaarrggg

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2011
    I'm really psyched for this battle. But I need to train, like, seriously, because now all my Pokémon are still in their high fifties. I don't want to solely rely on Revives to stand a chance; it's no fun like that.

How to gain twenty levels quickly, though? There's not much to train except beating the Elite Four over and over again... and Gym Leader rematches. And ones with Youngster Joey and the like, lol.

But anyway, it will be so worth it, because it doesn't get much more epic than Red in the realm of Pokémon :D

Midnight Jog

Poké-Baller!
    Years
  • Well, Red is surprisingly a bit tough. But, he only uses 1 full restore, if I recall correctly. At least, for me. I'd go at around 80-85s... He's going to murder you, no doubt about it, if you don't go at those levels. I went in my early 70s and got my butt handed to me.

Back