• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual) anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    "Gaydar" is a myth. It's based on stereotypes.

Sure you can easily recognize some of the glaringly obvious homosexuals based on sterotypes, but many of the "straight-acting" ones will slip right under your nose.

There are ALWAYS subtle things though. Especially the way they act towards women, or look at other men. There is always a way too tell, and I am a gay man who proudly uses "Gaydar". I always know when a man is gay.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    No, not really. There could be subtle things, but not always. Most homosexuals are just like anyone else.
    You're really only noticing the obvious ones. And being able to tell than a man who is checking out another man is homo or at least bisexual doesn't take any special skill.

Axєl

→ enveloping flames;
    Years
  • "Gaydar" is a myth. It's based on stereotypes.

Sure you can easily recognize some of the glaringly obvious homosexuals based on sterotypes, but many of the "straight-acting" ones will slip right under your nose.

I wouldn't be so quick to stay that.

I can be in a group of people I've never met before, and get vibes from either gender that make me all "My gaydar senses are tingling!", and 95 percent of the time, the person was at least bisexual. >_> It actually kind of creeps me out when that happens. It can literally be nothing but vibes, sometimes it's how they react to me, but not most of the time. My friends always wonder how I can tell so quickly, and I have no idea myself.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    No, not really. There could be subtle things, but not always. Most homosexuals are just like anyone else.
    You're really only noticing the obvious ones. And being able to tell than a man who is checking out another man is homo or at least bisexual doesn't take any special skill.

NO! I always know. When its not obvious there is always something. This is why I no longer assume the biggest and burliest men are strait anymore, and same with females. I find it easier to tell when a woman likes women, and no, i am not talking about the masculine ones.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I've seen people like you before. You look for qualities so you don't get very many false positives. But I assure you that you've had your fair share of false negatives that you are unaware of.

"Looking at how a man looks at another man" (or women on women) isn't "gaydar" Anyone can tell that a man looking at another man in a sexual manner probably isn't heterosexual.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Though you'd have to keep in mind that which doesn't apply to someone. Like how a straight guy might not notice the flirtations from a gay guy.

Kind of like how if I say "Wow there are a ton of volkswagon beatles." And you might begin to notice more. Seeing as you never cared, or paid attention to it before.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I've seen people like you before. You look for qualities so you don't get very many false positives. But I assure you that you've had your fair share of false negatives that you are unaware of.

"Looking at how a man looks at another man" (or women on women) isn't "gaydar" Anyone can tell that a man looking at another man in a sexual manner probably isn't heterosexual.

SHould I have said that my assumptions never fail? Because they don't...

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    SHould I have said that my assumptions never fail? Because they don't...

And how do you verify those assumptions? Anyone could lie to you, unless you stalk all people you scan with your "gaydar".

Also, many true positivies do not mean you don't have many false negatives.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    A boyfriend approaches and they kiss on the lips :O
    He hits on me
    We end up in bed with each other
    He flat out tells me

any of these things. I have no reason to lie... I don't care if you believe in *gaydar" or not. Im simply stating that some people have the ability to know when someone is homosexual or not. Just simply never assume someone is strait.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Wait. So you're saying you make the judgement when people kiss, hit on you or, end up in bed with you?
    Even someone who's been living under a rock can tell at that point.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • A lot of you are misreading my posts and still don't seem to understand my point... Or jump from one thing I didn't say at all into something you might have think I said.

Scarf said:
    @IceSage: You were saying you didn't see a point in anyone telling anyone else their orientation, etc.

No, I said that it's really not necessary to create a thread on internet forums talking about something in which in no way determines what kind of person people are inside. The main reason why I started bringing this up is because the main poster of this topic decided it was crucial to include "I'm not one for labels, but my whole life is labels." I honestly don't believe this is true... And you're doing the reverse of what you say you're against.

I'm glad you do see the benefit in having a thread like this for people who are in the closet, about to come out, or recently out. That's something you would have done well to add to the "I just don't see the point of announcing it constantly, or on forums" line you made.

That's not really what I said, actually. I said that people who start threads and conversations like this, seem to be uncomfortable with their sexual orientation. In order to deal with it, some feel the need to share it with the whole world, when honestly, it's not that big of a deal.

I'm also glad you think being queer is not something someone should feel uncomfortable about, but did it occur to you that in order for some of us to feel comfortable with ourselves we seek out people who'll be understanding and accepting and that we might use a forum full of people to do so?

Do you really feel ashamed of your own sexual attraction to whoever you happened to be attracted to? So much so, that you need to talk about it? I'll get back to this later on in this post, which also has to do with something I typed earlier.

I know a lot of this thread has been full of silly stuff, but throughout all that we have actually talked about coming out and the troubles some of us are having relating to it.

Then that's great, but I'm not really referring to the people communicating within in the topic really. I'm more or less talking directly to the OP, and others like them, who feel the need to start conversations like this out of the blue. Like I said earlier, since when do you go in for a job interview, or meet a guy at a bar, and they introduce themselves with, "Hey, I'm Bob, I'm straight!"

Pokejungle said:
    IceSage I'm not going to bother replying to your post based on the merits of discussion sexuality openly, but just make an appeal to you based on the fact that many of us LGBT people have felt extremely ostracized, afraid to be ourselves, afraid that if we told people we were attracted to the same sex we would lose our friends or even family.

Again, I must state that the topics that have gone on in this thread can be rather beneficial and supportive. It's not the topic itself that I'm saying is redundant, but just the mere fact that someone feels like they NEED to bring such a thing up. The original post was "Hey, who's bi, gay straight, transsexual?" There's also the point in which the OP has "IM BI, HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT" and just the whole manner that HOW the topic was brought up.

Also, what you said about being afraid of your friends and family about your own independent nature is a perfectly natural reaction, and will happen no matter what, to everyone.

It is so important for the mental health of young (or old) LGBT people to talk with each other and create a strong network of friends who love and support each other and we can be who we are around each other.

Just LGBT, you sure about that? I'm sure that "people" that are caring, love, and support each other can be beneficial to helping each other. Are you telling me that if I'm straight, and I have LGBT friends, that I'm in no way a beneficial and supportive person in their life when they have issues, especially when at times I'd be their only option to talk to? The other person has to be LGBT?

I think now is time to drop the bombshell of another point I'm trying to make.

People who feel the need to constantly announce and be too open about their sexual preference, are just as bad as those who make a habit of being against it. Ignorant and intolerant people constantly bring up the subject of it all the time, and in some cases, straight people will end up looking like fools when they make a point to point out to everyone that they're straight. (Of course, at those times, you just have to wonder...)

Constantly shoving into people's faces a sexual preference is not the way to go about things. People are people, how does sharing your sexual preference effect anything at all? In fact, it can sometimes ONLY bring a negative response. If I read "Hey, I'm ___ and I'm totally bi. Hells ya." in someone's signature, I won't really care at all. So, you're attracted to both genders, so what? I'm already tolerant and have no problem with it, so it's not going to evoke a response. However, if you get some jerk face McMoron, and they read that, they'll be more than happy to confront you on it. Then, of course, that person moans and complains to "leave me alone" and "I don't like labels" and "so what if that's my sexual preference" to McMoron... when, in fact, those 3 statements were actually initiated by the redundant need to point out your sexual preference... which, by the way, should only matter to YOU, and the person you're interested in. If I'm straight, telling me you're gay has no impact on me. It will, however, have an impact between you and whoever you're interested in. Is that me? No. So why do you need to constantly announce your sexual preference? The only time that would be beneficial is if you're looking for someone like-minded.

Your post simply does not take into account the pain and discrimination many of us have faced.

Really? Are you sure about that? Read above, I'm actually posting about the opposite. I'm explaining that starting or pointing out constantly that you're "gay" is just as bad as the discrimination, and that you're actually invoking pain on yourself by doing so. Today I went and did my laundry, then I want to the store, I then picked up some dinner at a restaurant, and then went home. Not once did I need to mention or make anyone aware of my sexual preference; as it's none of THEIR business, and I had a non-confrontational day. On the other hand, if I decided to go to all these places, wearing a "PROUD TO BE GAY" T-Shirt, constantly informing everyone that I'm gay and that if they have a problem with it, I'd be more than happy to defend my position... I'm quite sure there would be several confrontations... None of them positive.

There's nothing wrong with being who you are, and yes, there are asshats who, when they get knowledge of your specific sexual preference, tend to have a problem with it. However, that is much different than going around informing and being on the defensive constantly, about who you are.

Have I gotten shouts of "FAG" thrown at me before when I'm with my boyfriend? Multiple times.

That's quite a different scenario. That's just you, and your boyfriend, minding your own business... And a couple of ignorant morons deciding to be cruel cause they think it's hilarious. Silently, in a way, it was obvious that you were gay, as you were with your boyfriend. But, I don't think at any point you were going around telling people you're gay, or that you HAD to make a point about it. No, you were simply going about your business.

So, why, exactly, would someone need to start a topic and include in their signature, the fact that they're "gay/bi/etc." and be on the defensive about it automatically? That's not the way it works.

Please respect the well being of others and understand that it may be more important than what you feel is appropriate or socially acceptable.

Where in my posts did I argue that it's not important? I never even shared my views on what's "appropriate" or "socially acceptable." You're pulling that out of thin air. Nowhere did I disrespect others either. If you'd bother to read my posts correctly, you'd see that I'm not talking about the subject of sexuality itself, but the types of people, and the need to constantly point out what their sexual preferences are.

The OP did not create this topic with the original intent of "Hey, who's had problems because you're LGBT? Come together and talk about your experiences." It was more of a, "Hey! I'm totally bi! I totally don't like labels! (Even though I'm making a topic placing labels on myself.) Who's had problems with being labeled? Oh by the way, I'm bi. Who else is LGBT?"

There's a huge difference. Also, read the poster's sig. He felt the need to include he's bi in it. Sure, it's great that you've accepted your sexuality... but unless you wanna go on a date, there is NO POINT, especially when you say you "don't like labels."

I'm sorry, but "bi" is a label. Discussing and using terms like LGBT are labels.

I personally don't like labels. We are who we are, and that's it. I get along in my day to day life by being who I am as a person. Do I honestly need to reveal my sexual preference in order for you to know, interact, and get along with me as a person?

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Wait. So you're saying you make the judgement when people kiss, hit on you or, end up in bed with you?
    Even someone who's been living under a rock can tell at that point.

Lol! No, you asked how do I confirm it. I dont make assumptions anyway because like I said, I know when they are,

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I personally don't like labels. We are who we are, and that's it. I get along in my day to day life by being who I am as a person. Do I honestly need to reveal my sexual preference in order for you to know, interact, and get along with me as a person?

I've already mentioned this in my post above... Sure society and one's self might throw in labels, however these labels exist, more predominantly in other societies/families or w/e.

While I haven't fine tooth combed your posts, I believe you were were a straight person, that being said, it is difficult to understand what those being "persecuted" feels like.

Persecution isn't limited to just being gay, but also, the fact that we're raised in the ideal that we should have a plutonic family, live the good life etc. Your mom wants you to be happy with a wife and grandchild, perhaps she has even said as much... This can also be debilitating...

I realize there is more to sexual preference, and sexualism in general, but love is a big part of our life (for many reasons), it's only natural for it to be naturally apart of us.

Yes there are good and bad ways of expressing and other wise acknowledging it, but it will never seize to exist.

Humanity hates to be alone... We are a social people. It takes perseverance...

And the disclosure of sexual preference as a normalcy or some kind of socially required thing is ridiculous...

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • 'lol I'm gay and proud' - why are you all proud of being homosexual? Is liking pee pees a reason to feel pretentiously good about yourself? Should I also feel proud for liking boobs and vags instead?

And hilarious how Fox goes from comparing gays and drug-dealers to complaining about segregation and you lot still deny the troll-tential. I hope none of the posts two pages back were serious. I might start worrying about your sanity.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • 'lol I'm gay and proud' - why are you all proud of being homosexual? Is liking pee pees a reason to feel pretentiously good about yourself? Should I also feel proud for liking boobs and vags instead?

And hilarious how Fox goes from comparing gays and drug-dealers to complaining about segregation and you lot still deny the troll-tential. I hope none of the posts two pages back were serious. I might start worrying about your sanity.
    You remind me of the guys that say "why can't we have a shirt saying 'proud to be white". Man, there're "groups" that goes through hardships in life, maybe that's a way they say "we don't feel sink".

I'd like to ask the people in the forum if they fits in some steryotypes such as femininity, what you think about them.

Beckie

Thunder!
    Years
  • I'm a bisexual. I was together with this girl for half a year, and now I'm together with my boyfriend and it's gone over three years now. ^^

As long as you find someone you love, gender doesn't matter.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    'lol I'm gay and proud' - why are you all proud of being homosexual? Is liking pee pees a reason to feel pretentiously good about yourself? Should I also feel proud for liking boobs and vags instead?

Ascaris shut up I was doing well for a minute :(

IceSage I'm not going to bother replying to your post based on the merits of discussion sexuality openly, but just make an appeal to you based on the fact that many of us LGBT people have felt extremely ostracized, afraid to be ourselves, afraid that if we told people we were attracted to the same sex we would lose our friends or even family.

It is so important for the mental health of young (or old) LGBT people to talk with each other and create a strong network of friends who love and support each other and we can be who we are around each other.

Your post simply does not take into account the pain and discrimination many of us have faced. Have I gotten shouts of "FAG" thrown at me before when I'm with my boyfriend? Multiple times. Have I gotten sneers for the way I dress or act? Even more times. Do I have friends and family that support me? I thankfully do. Some people don't. Please respect the well being of others and understand that it may be more important than what you feel is appropriate or socially acceptable.

All of that would of maybe being a meritable statement if you weren't talking about it openly on a pokemon forum yet still require your own (and still public) thread to do it in.

Last edited:

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • You remind me of the guys that say "why can't we have a shirt saying 'proud to be white". Man, there're "groups" that goes through hardships in life, maybe that's a way they say "we don't feel sink".

I'd like to ask the people in the forum if they fits in some steryotypes such as femininity, what you think about them.

One of the products of an increasingly tolerant society is the minorities or the oppressed going gung ho on everyone else. Everyone becoming acceptant suddenly makes liking men, having periods and being dark skinned awesome. When gays have been protesting for equality for such a long time then they have no right to proclaim themselves superior.

Cocks turn you on - that's cool, but don't act so damn smug about it.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    'lol I'm gay and proud' - why are you all proud of being homosexual? Is liking pee pees a reason to feel pretentiously good about yourself? Should I also feel proud for liking boobs and vags instead?

You miss understand what Gay Pride is.

Being 'Proud to be Gay' is being proud to be OPENLY gay rather than feel shameful like many societies teach homosexual people to be. It's not actually, "I'm gay and I'd like to throw my sexual preference in your face".

Years
  • @IceSage: If I had a nickel for every time you used the word "constantly"...

Shoving our gayness in peoples' faces? This is an LGBT thread - did you think we'd not talk about it? Really, this thread is like saying "We're going to go over there and be really gay so we don't have to be really gay in front of everyone in case that offends someone." It's like we're having a queer convention/support group and you showed up and got mad that we were being "too" open. Seriously, wtf do you want? For every gay person never to mention that they're gay?

"People are people, how does sharing your sexual preference effect anything at all?" If we're getting crap irl we can be 99.9% sure that people like us will be understanding and sympathetic, but we won't necessarily know who those people are until we make a thread that says "Come out, come out, wherever you are!" It's really no different if, say, someone were Muslim and were being hassled for it. Would you think it strange if they sought out other Muslims first? (You can replace Muslim with whatever helps you understand: Christian, Jewish, liberal, conservative, pokemon fan, etc.)

"Why does anyone have to mention it?" How else are we going to find people? No, not for dates - for support, for friendship. Yes, straight people can be supportive, can be friendly, can know what it's like to be hated for who you are, but is everyone who's experienced racism (for example) going to be accepting of queers? No. Is everyone who's experienced homophobia going to be accepting? No, but most will.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back