• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Like the other remakes, hardly any changes would be made to the main story. It would still be the same Story as Ruby and Sapphire. They'd just throw in a small change to some of the cities, maybe add in a few extra traps to the gyms if they don't change the Gym Layout.

A few teams may be redone. And there is the after E4 extra story/Features (Like FR/LG's Sevii Island thing since unlike Gold/Silver, Ruby and Sapphire didn't have an after story.)

Any changes to the story would be small or to give small characters a larger part in the story (Kimono Girls in HG/SS and Bill in FR/LG)

How you get Items would prolly change as well, as a few story items were recieved differently in the Remakes than the originals.

Either way, the games will just be visually updated versions of Ruby and Sapphire. That's pretty much all remakes are.

Hopefully this time though, they use them as 'updated' versions other than just graphics. I don't mean changing the story drastically though, I mean partly to give them better reasons for why they do what they are doing. They were a bit...'lacking of the smarts' when it came to why they wanted to expand the sea/land. It's understandable to want to change the world, but their reasons could use a bit more depth and meaning, if you get what I mean.

I also hope we get to see more of characters like Lanette, etc. It would also be nice to see our mom, etc. make more appearances throughout the region...it would be nice to see it being a coincidence that she decided to visit Norman(dad) around the time of our arrival back at Petalburg for the battle(in that she would be watching and comment afterward).

I wonder which characters other than her and Wally will be popping up more. Obviously our rival will probably play a little bigger role as well(with a fully grown team at the end).

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Hopefully this time though, they use them as 'updated' versions other than just graphics. I don't mean changing the story drastically though, I mean partly to give them better reasons for why they do what they are doing. They were a bit...'lacking of the smarts' when it came to why they wanted to expand the sea/land. It's understandable to want to change the world, but their reasons could use a bit more depth and meaning, if you get what I mean.

I thought it would be good if Maxie and Archie would turn out to be brothers, doing all those plans not only to expand land/sea, but also for sibling rivalry. That would resemble two brothers from legend in B/W, who teamed up with Zekrom and Reshiram.
    That's why I hope they will use Emerald's storyline, maybe with more Magma in Ruby remake and more Aqua in Sapphire remake, but generally with both teams involved in both versions to see Maxie and Archie arguing with each other about whose idea is better.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    I think they should make it for the DS, but give it 3d support. That would be awesome.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    There is going to be a lot of Gym Leaders/Champions from other games reappearing in B2W2 now....If not all of them...Gah my opinion of remakes was just destroyed by B2W2. Why remake it if you can battle all the Gym Leaders in the Tournament.

Ya redoing the story would be alright....but they seem to just be throwing all possible ideas into B2W2 that just hurt possible chances for remakes.

It would feel weird to be able to fight the Hoenn trainers in B2W2 and then fight them again in remakes. Also Steven is still Champion according to B2W2 so...WTF? Which story are they pulling from? Seems like Ruby/Sapphire and not Emerald.

x_x

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    There is going to be a lot of Gym Leaders/Champions from other games reappearing in B2W2 now....If not all of them...Gah my opinion of remakes was just destroyed by B2W2. Why remake it if you can battle all the Gym Leaders in the Tournament.

Ya redoing the story would be alright....but they seem to just be throwing all possible ideas into B2W2 that just hurt possible chances for remakes.

It would feel weird to be able to fight the Hoenn trainers in B2W2 and then fight them again in remakes. Also Steven is still Champion according to B2W2 so...WTF? Which story are they pulling from? Seems like Ruby/Sapphire and not Emerald.

x_x

It seems that B2/W2 take place before R/S/E, because Steven is still Champion. It makes sense now to release R/S remakes taking place after B2/W2 with Steven being replaced by Wallace. That would keep storyline connection with B2/W2.

And it's not certain that all Gym Leaders will appear. Even if yes, that doesn't really rule out remakes. It's tournament facility, so player don't have to battle all past Gym Leaders. Some of past Gym Leaders can simply not appear.

It could be said that it wouldn't make sense for Hoenn Gym Leaders to have full teams of high leveled Pokemon in B2/W2 and then having weaker teams in remakes. But look at Cheren - he had full team of various types in B/W and in B2/W2 he will be first Gym Leader with low leveled team of normal types. It looks like GF doesn't really pay attention to things like that.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If you look at the scan there are only Kanto, Johto & Sinnoh leaders.. there are no Hoenn leaders which may be for a reason or just as a limitation, however for all we know there may be no Hoenn gym leaders in the World Tournament. They have the sprites for the Kanto & Johto leaders from HGSS, same goes for the Sinnoh leaders from DPPT but they can't rip the sprites from RSE into BW it's just too outdated and Steven appeared in HGSS so his sprite is kind of rendered up to date but they would have to remake all the sprites for them which would be time consuming hence why they didn't re-create the sprites for the Kanto, Johto & Sinnoh leaders. My theory is that they are waiting for the remakes to "revamp" the Hoenn leader sprites and as previously stated if the Hoenn leaders do make an appearance it doesn't rule out remakes, it's not like it's using the storyline with Team Magma & Aqua, the features etc.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    If you look at the scan there are only Kanto, Johto & Sinnoh leaders.. there are no Hoenn leaders which may be for a reason or just as a limitation, however for all we know there may be no Hoenn gym leaders in the World Tournament. They have the sprites for the Kanto & Johto leaders from HGSS, same goes for the Sinnoh leaders from DPPT but they can't rip the sprites from RSE into BW it's just too outdated and Steven appeared in HGSS so his sprite is kind of rendered up to date but they would have to remake all the sprites for them which would be time consuming hence why they didn't re-create the sprites for the Kanto, Johto & Sinnoh leaders. My theory is that they are waiting for the remakes to "revamp" the Hoenn leader sprites and as previously stated if the Hoenn leaders do make an appearance it doesn't rule out remakes, it's not like it's using the storyline with Team Magma & Aqua, the features etc.

Even if some of Hoenn Leaders will appear in B2/W2, with revamped sprites, their designs will be probably the same like in R/S/E, just like Steven's design is the same. Their sprites will be needed to be edited for R/S remakes one more time because of their design changes in remakes. Jasmine's design in D/P/Pt seems to be almost the same like in G/S/C even after sprite revamp. Only in HG/SS her design is truly new, so I think Hoenn Leaders' designs will be truly new only in R/S remakes.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2012
    Interesting thread and interesting speculations.
    If R/S/E was remade, I would probably play it. I actually liked that generation a lot despite the amount of people that hated it. Would be cool if graphic increases/features were better.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Wait, what? Explain please.

Why would N, who was introduced in Black and White, be a playable character in an RSE remake? It's not me that needs to explain, it's you. I'd love to know why playing as N would make sense.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    It seems that B2/W2 take place before R/S/E, because Steven is still Champion. It makes sense now to release R/S remakes taking place after B2/W2 with Steven being replaced by Wallace. That would keep storyline connection with B2/W2.

And it's not certain that all Gym Leaders will appear. Even if yes, that doesn't really rule out remakes. It's tournament facility, so player don't have to battle all past Gym Leaders. Some of past Gym Leaders can simply not appear.

It could be said that it wouldn't make sense for Hoenn Gym Leaders to have full teams of high leveled Pokemon in B2/W2 and then having weaker teams in remakes. But look at Cheren - he had full team of various types in B/W and in B2/W2 he will be first Gym Leader with low leveled team of normal types. It looks like GF doesn't really pay attention to things like that.

How are they before Ruby and Sapphire, when they take place 2 years after BW; BW themselves obviously take place (?) years after DPPt?

I'm asking that because apparently everyone kept saying that Gen I and III took place simultaneously, while Gen II and IV take place 3 years after those, and BW is after those...so with BW2 taking place 2 years after those, how would they be before RSE?

I'm not one of those people who are worried about a timeline and all that, but even I know that doesn't make much sense(where you said they were placed or whatever), if you look at things.

I don't think time has anything to do with it now because remakes just take the place of the originals anyways, with updated mechanics and such, so it doesn't matter what time they arrive.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well, if that's the case, we're going to have timeline conspiracies and it's going to get pretty Zelda-ish in the Pokemon franchise. I was under the impression BW was after gens I-IV, but...ohhhhhhhh Game Freak.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Well, if that's the case, we're going to have timeline conspiracies and it's going to get pretty Zelda-ish in the Pokemon franchise. I was under the impression BW was after gens I-IV, but...ohhhhhhhh Game Freak.

Well even if there were an established one, remakes just replace the originals, so it wouldn't really matter at all what time they pop up, haha(as in a hint for someone that BW don't necessarily mean a thing, but no worries).

...and yeah, I doubt a timeline is their top priority.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    How are they before Ruby and Sapphire, when they take place 2 years after BW; BW themselves obviously take place (?) years after DPPt?

I'm asking that because apparently everyone kept saying that Gen I and III took place simultaneously, while Gen II and IV take place 3 years after those, and BW is after those...so with BW2 taking place 2 years after those, how would they be before RSE?

It was discussed before on this thread, people say that gens 1 and 3 take place at similar time only because R/S/E and FR/LG were featured in the same generation which is not proof at all. I'm sure that if R/S remakes will be featured in gen 5, people will change their thinking and start saying that gens 3 and 5 take place at similar time, which is correct timeline imo.

I say that because there is nothing saying in any game that events from R/S/E have already happened. In B/W you can find references to gens 2 and 4 storylines, but nothing about R/S/E storyline. More of that, Steven was revealed to be present in B2/W2 as Hoenn's Champion which most likely means that he wasn't replaced by Wallace yet. Having Steven being replaced by Wallace in R/S remakes would make nice storyline continuation after B2/W2.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    It was discussed before on this thread, people say that gens 1 and 3 take place at similar time only because R/S/E and FR/LG were featured in the same generation which is not proof at all. I'm sure that if R/S remakes will be featured in gen 5, people will change their thinking and start saying that gens 3 and 5 take place at similar time, which is correct timeline imo.

I say that because there is nothing saying in any game that events from R/S/E have already happened. In B/W you can find references to gens 2 and 4 storylines, but nothing about R/S/E storyline. More of that, Steven was revealed to be present in B2/W2 as Hoenn's Champion which most likely means that he wasn't replaced by Wallace yet. Having Steven being replaced by Wallace in R/S remakes would make nice storyline continuation after B2/W2.

That makes a little sense, in some ways, if you think about it, not going to argue that. In the Plasma Castle, they mention about Team Rocket and Galactic being foiled, but nothing like that about Magma/Aqua, as an example.

What I really meant though was that we have no real proof yet of where RS fits into this fan-made 'timeline' though. How do you know that Steven didn't just get the title back from Wallace or something? One of the main things that messes this up is how different Emerald is to Ruby/Sapphire. Both R/S and E happen in Hoenn, with the same basics and all, yet the story was changed a fair amount from the former to the latter; so how would that be possible for them all to happen? Until we know what they would be going with, in the sense of remakes, we can't really judge where they appear.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Caitlin was at the Gen IV Frontier, not Emerald Frontier.

Oh my bad, LOL. I forgot, disregard my last post; See....all this RSE remake and timelines talk, I'm slipping.

Well wombat, you won this round. I'll get you though. XD

Last edited:

ReleaseYourPokemon

Pokemon Liberater
    Years
  • Well, if that's the case, we're going to have timeline conspiracies and it's going to get pretty Zelda-ish in the Pokemon franchise. I was under the impression BW was after gens I-IV, but...ohhhhhhhh Game Freak.
    They could make Sapphire 2 and Ruby 2 instead.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back