• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Having two close game releases is always better for sales than skipping remakes in this generation, like some people suggest.

FR/LG were released in US only one week before Emerald in Japan. Did it really badly affect FR/LG sales in US? Also, they started giving detailed info about B2/W2 only two months before release. The same could be done with R/S remakes - releasing B2/W2 outside Japan and at the same time starting giving info about R/S remakes.

B2W2 are also released two years after B/W and there are no other main games for it to compete with so they can do this style of release. This is probably a test run for an advertisement style to see how well they sell with short notice information. We still know next to nothing on B2W2 right now.

And yes if they were to start detailing information about remakes after this, the sales for B2W2 will either stop or slow down to a gradual halt. They won't be releasing any main games for up to at least 4 months after the games are released within that area.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2021
    Releasing B2W2 and R/S remakes in the same year wont hurt sales. B2W2 is a sequel, something brand new, while RS remakes are just remakes of an older game so its not like they will overshadow each other as they are two different types of games in the sense that they both wont be 'brand new' and overshadow each other since R/S is just a remake (and will obviously sell less). I'm sure fans would end up buying both of them though. Although, revealing R/S remakes right after B2W2 is released isn't smart.

If they do plan to release R/S remakes this year, late November seems the most plausible release date. I could see them announcing the game in mid-August. But like someone else said, if we hear nothing about R/S remakes this year then I think its best to just assume they will be saved until next gen because I doubt they will continue releasing DS games into 2013.

For me personally, while I would love R/S remakes on the 3DS, it just seems like a pain to wait for them until next gen. That means we could possibly get the Gen VI pair next year, then we'll likely have the two year gap until the next game is released which would set us at 2015 or 2016 for R/S remakes. I really just want to revisit Hoenn with updated graphics already, and don't really want to wait another 3 - 4 years.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Releasing B2W2 and R/S remakes in the same year wont hurt sales. B2W2 is a sequel, something brand new, while RS remakes are just remakes of an older game so its not like they will overshadow each other as they are two different types of games in the sense that they both wont be 'brand new' and overshadow each other since R/S is just a remake (and will obviously sell less). I'm sure fans would end up buying both of them though. Although, revealing R/S remakes right after B2W2 is released isn't smart.

I agree with this because B2/W2 being first paired "third versions" and first direct sequels being released in June were totally unexpected, so after them, everything is possible to happen now, even remakes being released about 5 months after them.

Imo refusing to make R/S remakes in gen 5 engine would be like throwing money away because Nintendo wouldn't make easy cash using already produced engine. And because 3DS needs to be taken care of as soon as possible, gen 5 engine should be utilized with R/S remakes in this year, perfectly matching with R/S 10th anniversary.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    "Absolutely!" would be my more precise answer to the above poll. I think the games set in Hoenn are on par as my favourite with the games set in Johto. I absolutely LOVED playing Sapphire. The whole secret bases thing, collecting decorations, the underwater exploration, the different kinds of bikes (mach and auto), planting berries and waiting for them to grow, the braille element involved in finding the Regis, the trick house, the shoal cave where the clock influenced the tides, Mirage Island, etc. It had so much more to offer than a number of the other games in my opinion and I think it more than deserves a remake.

FearAddict

Addicted to Fear, as usually
    Years
  • I think there will be a remake. Its not about Groudon/kyogre and rayquaza which can be cought in HS/SS. also the 3 regis, they could only be caught with a event in platinum and i loved to catch and train those 3 golems.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • "Absolutely!" would be my more precise answer to the above poll. I think the games set in Hoenn are on par as my favourite with the games set in Johto. I absolutely LOVED playing Sapphire. The whole secret bases thing, collecting decorations, the underwater exploration, the different kinds of bikes (mach and auto), planting berries and waiting for them to grow, the braille element involved in finding the Regis, the trick house, the shoal cave where the clock influenced the tides, Mirage Island, etc. It had so much more to offer than a number of the other games in my opinion and I think it more than deserves a remake.

I completely agree, all these features aren't in more recent games so to see them in up-to date graphics and modern remakes would just be brilliant. Not to mention that those clock-based events are no longer available IIRC.

Years
  • The Pokémon Company tends to follow the same routine, so yes, I do believe that there will be remakes. To answer the question as to whether I will buy them or not, who knows. The RSE era wasn't my favorite for sure, but still created fond memories. I may end up buying these supposed remakes, but no guarantees.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    Game Freak game director discusses Ruby and Sapphire remakes on Twitter

Someone on twitter asked Game Freak game director Junichi Masuda if there would be any remakes of Ruby and Sapphire.

He answered (in Japanese):

"Thanks! I've received your sentiments. Ruby and Sapphire are very important games to me. I want to make something good. Thanks!!"

Sources:
    Bulbanews article: bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_replies_to_tweet_regarding_remakes_of_Generation_III_games
    Original tweet: twitter.com/junichi_masuda/status/122941791392636928

Note/Trivia:
    Masuda has said that Ruby and Sapphire is his favourite games, because they are based on the Kyūshū region of Japan where he used to go on vacation as a kid. He even named a NPC girl in Sootopolis City after his daughter Kiri who was born in September, about the time when the games were almost completed and were being debugged.

What I'm trying to say is that Ruby and Sapphire lies very close to this guy's heart and he's a founding member of Game Freak,the Director of the Board and head of development. He came up with the idea of the Global Terminal.
    He's also, according to me one of the three most important persons at Game Freak along with the Game Freak CEO / creator of Pokémon Satoshi Tajiri and art director and Pokémon designer Ken Sugimori.

Sources:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junichi_Masuda
    bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Junichi_Masuda
    gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=39

Sorry if this post is a little bit off-topic, but bottom line is that I think that there will be remakes for Ruby and Sapphire since the games are important to Masuda and he has great influence over Game Freak.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Someone on twitter asked Game Freak game director Junichi Masuda if there would be any remakes of Ruby and Sapphire.

"Thanks! I've received your sentiments. Ruby and Sapphire are very important games to me. I want to make something good. Thanks!!"

Sources:
    Bulbanews article: bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_replies_to_tweet_regarding_remakes_of_Generation_III_games

Note/Trivia:
    Masuda has said that Ruby and Sapphire is his favourite games, because they are based on the Kyūshū region of Japan where he used to go on vacation as a kid. He even named a NPC girl in Sootopolis City after his daughter Kiri who was born in September, about the time when the games were almost completed and were being debugged.

What I'm trying to say is that Ruby and Sapphire lies very close to this guy's heart and he's a founding member of Game Freak,the Director of the Board and head of development. He came up with the idea of the Global Terminal.
    He's also, according to me one of the three most important persons at Game Freak along with the Game Freak CEO / creator of Pokémon Satoshi Tajiri and art director and Pokémon designer Ken Sugimori.

Sources:

Sorry if this post is a little bit off-topic, but bottom line is that I think that there will be remakes for Ruby and Sapphire since the games are important to Masuda and he has great influence over Game Freak.

I didn't know they were his favourites but yeah there is some conclusive contributions there, surely if he remade R/G & G/S and they aren't even his favourites then, if anything he'll remake Ruby & Sapphire and possibly/hopefully put more effort into them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Someone on twitter asked Game Freak game director Junichi Masuda if there would be any remakes of Ruby and Sapphire.

Sources:

Note/Trivia:

Sources:

Bulbapedia also says that Masuda's favorite type is Water, which could be another reason why R/S are his favorite games. R/S are going to be remade for sure, if he really care that much about those games.

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    There's still a high chance of one considering they've done it for Gen I and Gen II, why wouldn't go down the next in line? :[ The newer games from DPPt and up don't need remakes or anything yeah, but considering RSE were made for the Gameboy, an upgrade is a must.

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
  • I think we're going to see a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remake around Generation 6. And I think Gen6 will be on the 3DS.

If there is a R/S/E remake I'll buy it, day one, ; A; GF handled the G/S/C remake really well, so yeah. R/S/E weren't my favourite Pokémon games ever but they had some really, really fun moments and characters, and the story was quite nice. Also Secret Bases.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2013
    Originally Posted by Kaori
    The newer games from DPPt and up don't need remakes or anything yeah, but considering RSE were made for the Gameboy an upgrade is a must.
    I don't think remakes for R/S/E are necessary since GBA graphics are quite good and in full colour, unlike R/B/Y & G/S/C. The Pokémon you capture there are transferable to PalPark and then to Black & White. Only those who don't have a GBA, DS (original) or DS Lite would have a problem since there's no GBA slot on DSi and 3DS (that sucks).

I would still like to se remakes though and I would definetly buy them.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The only reason I'm having doubts is because I was kinda convinced that it was aimed for the 10 year anniversary but it doesn't look like it's going that way since B2W2 has thrown a spanner in the works, there's 2013 but I'm not 100% sure, yet.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I've been doubting the remake now, especially with all the hype around B2W2 and how much focus is put on them. Besides, I feel like the other remakes were remade because the Pokemon weren't able to be transferred from Gen I/Gen II to Gen III, while Gen III can be transferred beyond. That might be why it's not as hyped or even mentioned... I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out.

PokeAwsome94 said:
    I don't think remakes for R/S/E are necessary since GBA graphics are quite good and in full colour, unlike R/B/Y & G/S/C.
    I don't think graphics play that significant of a role. And besides, GBA graphics aren't as great as DS graphics.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • RSE's GBA graphics were decent up until the release of Black & White IMO, everything in Generation V is much more 3D rendered and in comparison to RSE it's like comparing Diamond and Pearl to Gold & Silver so I would say graphics is one of the factors that contribute to a remake.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've been doubting the remake now, especially with all the hype around B2W2 and how much focus is put on them. Besides, I feel like the other remakes were remade because the Pokemon weren't able to be transferred from Gen I/Gen II to Gen III, while Gen III can be transferred beyond. That might be why it's not as hyped or even mentioned... I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out.

With the Lite dying out (I think it's no longer on shelves) and the DS in general going out to make room for the 3DS, I think it's safe to say there will soon be a majority that does not have a Lite or original with a GBA slot and won't be able to transfer from gen III to IV. I see your point in saying how the GBA games are still indirectly compatible with gen V, but even still, the hardware that allows for that compatibility is getting slim. So that's going to eventually become a reason.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

With the Lite dying out (I think it's no longer on shelves) and the DS in general going out to make room for the 3DS, I think it's safe to say there will soon be a majority that does not have a Lite or original with a GBA slot and won't be able to transfer from gen III to IV. I see your point in saying how the GBA games are still indirectly compatible with gen V, but even still, the hardware that allows for that compatibility is getting slim. So that's going to eventually become a reason.

Honestly, the best chances for the remakes are during the 3DS series games. Yes the DSlite and DS are dead if not dying and harder to come by, but the games themselves being for the DS series which include the first two makes very little sense when all of the other DS series games are compatible with the third generation games.

The only reason why Gens 1 and 2 were remade was because of compatibility. They were the only games that were not compatible with the newer generations. Generation 3 completely changed how the games were structured as well as added the split between Special Attack and Special Defense. There were so many things changed that transferring Pokemon from Gens 1 and 2 was impossible.

That is not the case with Gen 3 and Current Gens. Gen 3 is compatible through a second medium which is Gen 4 games.

When Gen 6 comes out for the 3DS they would be completely incompatible with Generation 3 games since they are on a console which isn't compatible with GBA games at all. It also fits the pattern of remakes appearing on the next gaming console down the line. We also don't know how they'd treat transfers seeing as transfers seem to be getting stricter as the generations go on.

The current DS issue isn't an argument of Compatibility, its an argument of simplicity. Gen 5 is compatible with Gen 3, just not in an easy or direct way. Gen 6 wouldn't be because they wouldn't be directly compatible with Gen 4, and for all we know they may lose compatibility with Gen 5 if they decide to rework things again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back