• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Solar And Lunar Editions, Rm2k

It's official:the new CBS will be the "official" one. Should I personalize/improve it

• Yes, give it a custom flair

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • No, the standard is perfect

Votes: 16 47.1%

• Total voters

MissingChu

aka d3ad connection
Years
Man i havn't been posting on pc for a while, and i missed alot.

DM is having more luck than me anyways, i dont even have a host for my game.....

Years
MissingChu said:
Man i havn't been posting on pc for a while, and i missed alot.

DM is having more luck than me anyways, i dont even have a host for my game.....

Don't you have the Lateralshift site to host it on anymore?

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Yay! I'm back. I need to finish up my site before school starts again, so I probably won't have time to look through all the threads. I'll be doing a lot more RM2K though, so look for another demo release for lunar, and if I work hard enough, maybe I'll start doing work for my latest idea for a game ;)

Any new demo releases?

Years
DarkMage31 said:
Yay! I'm back. I need to finish up my site before school starts again, so I probably won't have time to look through all the threads. I'll be doing a lot more RM2K though, so look for another demo release for lunar, and if I work hard enough, maybe I'll start doing work for my latest idea for a game ;)

Any new demo releases?

I released a small demo for my game, which just shows the first part of my game (up to the town with the first badge)

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I hate to be so pessimistic, but nobody really posts in this thread after I do. Of course what I'm implying should be obvious: is anyone still interested in this game?

I guess I'll still keep you updated then.

1) The new message system should be fully integrated now. It looks sweet :)
2) I've worked on several miscelaneous graphical improvements
3) I'm working on the sand footprint events, which no one has attempted yet.
4) The vote is final: Lunar will in the future incorporate the "official" pkmn CBS. A new poll on that later.
5) I'm "advancifying" some sprites, like the old GSC hiro image I've been using. Thanks to the creator of "Lunar Silver" for doing a similar job, which I reference frequently
6) I'll be adding more poses to my hiro sprite. You know what that means! Surfing, fishing, etc. is all to come!

Hope some people still remember this project, lol :)

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
Thats great DM! Have you got any plays of a new demo! I'd love to see how your going. If no demo then some screens would keep me going until it's released!

Edit: Your poll will not let me vote so i'll post my vote!
Yes, give it a custom flair

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
Surfing Hiro....That will be interesting. Are there going to be any mini games or passages you have thought of that will use the surfing sprites?

Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2014
when is this game coming out already. its been through 20 pages of nothing

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
Years
  • Seen Dec 1, 2021
There have already been a couple of demos out. You shouldn't rush people with thier
games. Some games don't even get completed after 3 years!

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
when is this game coming out already. its been through 20 pages of nothing
Ha, I remember I used to make a new demo every week! Time is more scarce now a days...

Anyway, I'll try to make some screens, but nothing that big visually has changed except for a few sprites and misc. effects. I did more than double the size of Bramble Forest though.

I'll think of minigames and side quests once I get everything major done first, like implimenting the CBS. I'm not going to do that yet because there's still so much to do with the group project CBS, such as enemy AI (attk probability based on type advantages/disadvantages, attk power, and pp remaining). So for the next demo (who knows when that'll be) the battle system will remain untouched.

Years
DarkMage31 said:
(attk probability based on type advantages/disadvantages, attk power, and pp remaining)
Lol Oh my god... I forgot about that completely.. Well I will get around to it later..
It would be a good idea to wait until the next release because a lot more stuff has changed and I have improved overall stability and fixed various bugs.. I'm so happy someone in the project has decided to use it.. To celebrate I will show some never-before-seen screens..
This is what you will have to work with DM.
(P.S. I like the way your game is going, expanding a lot more.. :))

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
Sweet... that's awesome :)

And for the "personalization I'm probably going to add is a scrolling background to give it a 3D illusion. This'll be fun :)

--Edit--

Okay, I've been taking this 3D effect very seriously. However, it's not going to be perfect because there are just two many pkmn to redraw at varying degrees of rotation. I will attempt this with the hero trainer though. To help me get the angles right, I made a quick draft in my 3D Modeling program (Truespace) with two cubes moving as if they were in the battle screen. What I observed was that the face of the cube facing the enemy gradually opens up into more of a profile view. Since the battle pan I made is two seconds long, from my experience with Lego animation I've come to learn that 15 frames per second is about the minimum that tricks your eyes into percieving motion. This means that for a 2 second pan I will need to redraw Hiro in 30 seperate angles of rotation.

Should I do this?

Last edited:

Happy Gilmore

Love that movie...
Years
Personally, I think it sounds like a pretty cool idea. But then again it's your game so it's up to you and whether or not you can be bothered :D

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I think it sounds like a pretty cool idea
Such enthusiasm. :/

Anyway, I've replaced the regular battle system default with a photographic one, mostly because I can't be bothered to draw a whole anime scene of just... grass. Not to mention I'm aweful at drawing anime, which leads me to my next point: I've recolored the FR/LG hero battle sprite to resemble Hiro. However, it doesn't look... animeish. So when I get over to my other comp I'll post it and you can take a look.

Also, for the 3Dness: I've arranged it so things in the forground are larger than those in the background. What that means is the enemy appears smaller than you. The only bad thing about this is the fact that all attacks (especially beams) must be in perspective. Doing it 3D style will be tough, but I have a feeling the end result will pay off.

Also, I just got myself under a pretty fast proxy, so I may be able to post a little more (still not on weekdays though, today's an exception). Oh, and if you weren't informed, the reason why I need to mask my IP is because I was IP banned for some reason... I think someone with a similar IP tried to hack here or something like that...

Also, it seems as if my forums are down for the mean while. I'm working something out with the host.

And finally before I leave, I'd just like to allude to the fact that a new mod may be selected to mod here when I'm not around (weekdays). There are two candidates that are being considered. Who can it be? Can it be you?

Cya guys next weekend!

Years
DarkMage31 said:
Sweet... that's awesome :)

And for the "personalization I'm probably going to add is a scrolling background to give it a 3D illusion. This'll be fun :)

--Edit--

Okay, I've been taking this 3D effect very seriously. However, it's not going to be perfect because there are just two many pkmn to redraw at varying degrees of rotation. I will attempt this with the hero trainer though. To help me get the angles right, I made a quick draft in my 3D Modeling program (Truespace) with two cubes moving as if they were in the battle screen. What I observed was that the face of the cube facing the enemy gradually opens up into more of a profile view. Since the battle pan I made is two seconds long, from my experience with Lego animation I've come to learn that 15 frames per second is about the minimum that tricks your eyes into percieving motion. This means that for a 2 second pan I will need to redraw Hiro in 30 seperate angles of rotation.

Should I do this?
Wow.. A 3d battle with 3d pokemon and stuff... In rm2k3?
Why don't you just ask someone to do you a 3d model of the hiro sprite and take various screenshots of different angles?
Umm I had to re-time the panning sequence to fit in with the pokemon panning sequence... The whole thing goes for about......3.5 seconds...
It will extremely cool if you can do this!! i thought you were just going to do a scrolling background and I thought that would have been cool.. I will be happy even if your battle only has like 3 pokemon :)

By the way.. I had no idea what you were talking about with the percieving motion and varying degrees... But I liked it..
If you think this may be too much trouble then why don't you just make the intro 3d? Still a cool effect but less effort :P

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
I have (several) 3D modeling programs, but I don't have any cartoon shaders. I think it wouldn't look right anyway. I'll look into it though. Regrettably, there are just too many pkmn to have a complete three dimensional effect. I will do the trainer, however.

Yeah, I realized I made it a lil' fast. I clocked the real thing closer to 3.0 secs, but half a second isn't going to make a huge difference. The reason I speeded it is complicated. As long as it looks good :)

BTW, what I mean is this: If so-and-so uses Hyper Beam on the enemy, the beam would start largest at so-and-so and become more narrow as it heads towards the enemy (who is further in the distance). The reverse applies to incoming beam attks. About varying degrees, as the camera pans to the right of the battle scene, you will start seeing approx. a 45 degree angle of the left side of Hiro's face. As it pans right the view will close up the the back of his head and continue to reveal the right side of his face. The timing will hopefully be such that Hiro is "looking" at the enemy pkmn as its visual pans right. The result? Hiro should hopefully look like he spun approx. 90 degrees on his Y axis while moving to the left on the battle "platform."

Y
| Z
| /
|/
---------X

Last edited:
Years
How much have you actually completed of this? I know it's possible in rm2k3 but how much effort are you willing to put into this..? What will be happening in battle with the camera panning? Do you control it with the numpad?
I would very much like to see some screens when you have more of this completed or at least enough for screens :P
EDIT: Oh I was going to do a 3d effect on my pokemon game but only on the chip/charasets... I gave up due to lack of gfx.. It's not that hard.. Just requires some good ol' fashioned repetative work *yay*

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
Years
You're skeptical, eh? :)

Here's what I've done so far:
1) Created 1 frame for hiro's image for intro pan scene (yay)
2) Added photographic scrolling background
3) Changed perspective (close=big, far=small)

That's about it.
What will be happening in battle with the camera panning? Do you control it with the numpad?
This isn't what I meant. You wouldn't control anything. The 3D part is simply going to be an effect for the normal introductory pan. The actual battle system will remain the same.

Back