• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Good Old Days? Or The 'Orrible Original Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
Years
  • Most people here like the original better because they were little kids when it was on, so they liked the show more.

The show has never increased in childishness. It's exactly the same in that department.

What's changed is, better animation, better voices, better sounds, more pokemon so way more effects and ideas, and it's funnier. The new episodes are just way way better.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • Most people here like the original better because they were little kids when it was on, so they liked the show more.

The show has never increased in childishness. It's exactly the same in that department.

What's changed is, better animation, better voices, better sounds, more pokemon so way more effects and ideas, and it's funnier. The new episodes are just way way better.

then why am I truning into a teenager and still perfering the original series?

Well, you got me there. It is better animation.
    I like the old one for some reason. I dunno, there was some charm to it for me.

better voices though? I don't think so.
    the voices really suck, but you don't see anyone complaining about it anymore.
    because we all know it's not going to change. T_T

wow... more pokemon. I'm thrilled. now we get to see more yellow rats shocking TR until the blast off (again).

funnier: eh... Atleast I don't think so.
    I actually think the standard for it's humor died slowly after ash was about to transfer into sinnon.

then again, why debate?
    To some people the old series PHAILS,
    and to others the new series PHAILS.

you don't need to convince other people your favorite series is better.
    That's how cults get started.
    If you truly like the new series, then you should be able to accept other people prefer the older series.

Years

Better voices? Now that is hilarious XD

I prefer the original series over AG and DP.

Kanto is a classic. It has better humor than all the other sagas put together. Nearly all of its episodes are entertaining. Furthermore, its gym battles are fun to watch, unlike Johto's, AG's, and DP's.

Orange Islands is good. I am not a fan of Tracey, but most of its episodes are enjoyable. Like Kanto, its gym battles are also amusing to watch.

Johto has many pointless filler episodes and all of its gym battles are boring. However, it does have some good episodes. I would say it is average.

While I may not like AG as much as the original series, I think it is okay. May is a good character. However, contests themselves are relatively uninteresting and I am not too fond of Drew as a character. I do not dislike him, but he is sort of a rehash of Gary. The only differences are that he carries around roses, does not like the attention his fangirls give him, and serves as both a rival and a romantic interest to the character he competes with. The gym battles also suck. This series does score points for having Chimecho, the magical opium poppy Pokemon. I like Chimecho's character quirks and its relationship with James. Shame it got kicked off the show and replaced by a dumb clown >_>

From what I have seen of DP, it is dull. Then again, maybe that is because I have only seen the dub, which sucks now that it has been taken over by PUSA.

yellowparrot

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • Better voices? Now that is hilarious XD

I prefer the original series over AG and DP.

Kanto is a classic. It has better humor than all the other sagas put together. Nearly all of its episodes are entertaining. Furthermore, its gym battles are fun to watch, unlike Johto's, AG's, and DP's.

Orange Islands is good. I am not a fan of Tracey, but most of its episodes are enjoyable. Like Kanto, its gym battles are also amusing to watch.

Johto has many pointless filler episodes and all of its gym battles are boring. However, it does have some good episodes. I would say it is average.

While I may not like AG as much as the original series, I think it is okay. May is a good character. However, contests themselves are relatively uninteresting and I am not too fond of Drew as a character. I do not dislike him, but he is sort of a rehash of Gary. The only differences are that he carries around roses, does not like the attention his fangirls give him, and serves as both a rival and a romantic interest to the character he competes with. The gym battles also suck. This series does score points for having Chimecho, the magical opium poppy Pokemon. I like Chimecho's character quirks and its relationship with James. Shame it got kicked off the show and replaced by a dumb clown >_>

From what I have seen of DP, it is dull. Then again, maybe that is because I have only seen the dub, which sucks now that it has been taken over by PUSA.

Amen brother. Amen! :D
    I think the whole reason the show has gone downhill is because of PUSA.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    That is one big reason and personally I can't stand the new voices either. I did give the show another chance and I hated what it has become. The characters don't sound right at all, Ash sounds like he eats gravel everyday and Brock sounds like he has a cold which just will not go away. I too prefer the old series as all the characters I like are in that and sadly either don't appear at all or rarely appear in the current one. The new voice cast and the lack of the characters I had come to know and love especially a certain one turned me off of the show again when I gave it another chance. An excellent point was brought up earlier on, we all need to accept the fact that some hate the old series and love the current series and some hate the current series and love the old series. One thing that can help is to NOT BASH EACH OTHERS OPINIONS and respect the differences in these two groups. A member of another forum I visit has a signature which has a message about this whole thing that I agree with "don't be a basher, respect what you don't like."

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • That is one big reason and personally I can't stand the new voices either. I did give the show another chance and I hated what it has become. The characters don't sound right at all, Ash sounds like he eats gravel everyday and Brock sounds like he has a cold which just will not go away. I too prefer the old series as all the characters I like are in that and sadly either don't appear at all or rarely appear in the current one. The new voice cast and the lack of the characters I had come to know and love especially a certain one turned me off of the show again when I gave it another chance. An excellent point was brought up earlier on, we all need to accept the fact that some hate the old series and love the current series and some hate the current series and love the old series. One thing that can help is to NOT BASH EACH OTHERS OPINIONS and respect the differences in these two groups. A member of another forum I visit has a signature which has a message about this whole thing that I agree with "don't be a basher, respect what you don't like."

Thats true and I think those are all valid points and I agree with most of them, but I think we should give DP a chance in the near future, because many of the original voice cast has started to return. Rachael Lillis (Misty and Jessie) and Maddie Blaustein (Meowth) recently returned to the series (although Blaustein did not reprise Meowth nor did Lillis with Jessie, the current voice actors are probably on contract so they cant just switch them out until they run out, but it is possible in the near future) in a couple of Episodes (Maylene was voiced by Lillis and Blaustein is Chatot in the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Episodes). We could be looking at a Dub that has the original 4Kids actors but more loyal to the original Japanese versions.

Years
  • The original series, no questions asked. The series was better with only 150 Pokemon (not the games though) in my opinion as it wasn't an overload. Plus I felt the stories were better back then and the show as a whole felt more original, plus it was alot funnier too. Also, I apologise to be the 10000000th person to say this but the new voice actors are god freakin' awful, Ash's voice sounds too damn deep, Brock's is just annoying etc

To me the show lost appeal after The Orange League era, Johto was pretty cool but not classic like Kanto and the Orange League were.

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    Most people here like the original better because they were little kids when it was on, so they liked the show more.

Let's just face it, the newer, the better. Addiction to the original is a sign you don't have good memory. Or you just don't like me. But the newer series is still better

Sorry to burst on your theories, but when i was younger I used to love watching Hoenn, however, when a marathon of Hoenn started, I hated it, why? I had grown up... now for some reason, not sure what, but I decided to watch the first episodes on Youtube, and thus, I instantly saw the difference, there is a lot of difference in childishness between the new series and the old series. So yes, there has been a change in childishness. You are smart enough to come up with a good theory, yet not curious enough to uncover everything, YOOM-TAH.

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    These are still my favorite episodes, like when the tentacool/creul came in that city and wrecked havoc. Or when they when to the haunted house and plated with the ghost pokemon. Or when Misty insulted Caterpie! Lol. Good times.

vano-m

2nd year University student
    Years
  • Maybe that makes sence that Johto is a little boring, but Indigo is so cooooooooool! Really good old days!

But as for me i also like Hoenn & Shinnoh! So the jnly thig i can say! Pokemon Forever!

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    I too think that Johto was a little boring but in my mind it was because of all the fillers. What I would have done is cut back on the fillers and for the remaining ones I would do this. For every Ash centered filler I would have had a filler focusing on Misty and a separate one focusing on Brock. Too many Ash centered fillers where he does the same thing every time means one boring story arc. I am finding that the only people who liked the Johto part of the anime are Ash fans, a group which I do not fall in at all nor did I ever fall in.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I actually found everything about Jhoto boring back then. The anime/games/pokemon/characters/cards.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    I started playing the Pokemon games around Emerald's release and entered the online fandom in the midst of D/P speculation, so I don't have any sentimentality about the anime's original season. The first ep I ever saw was an Indigo League ep, yes, but I'm not biased towards that season.

First off, I hear a lot of people (including Lukeex059, my own informal pair on FFnet) say that the show got bad after Misty left. Is that well-founded opinion or attachment to a character? I think some folks got resentful towards May and Max because they 'replaced' Misty. Well, here's my take on the situation; I actually appreciated Misty more after she left. Her appearances in Chronicles revealed a side of her personality that I hadn't seen often - the calm, confident, responsible Gym Leader. If May and Max were replacements, they were good ones. You can't fault May for being a novice; she just started training, folks. She's bound to mess some things up. Opinions of Max vary, but I have a soft spot for nerds. Having someone in the posse who isn't a Trainer was an original spin on things. And May and Max's entrance switched up the roles in the team, too, having May as the novice and Ash as the mentor (even though he still didn't have everything down.)

Obviously the new animation is better, and you can't fault the old season for having crappy graphics. But although it really isn't a valid comparison point, I personally enjoy watching the newer, more graphically pleasing episodes and movies.

Voices...honestly, I don't know what everyone's so worked up about. The new voices are different, but they're not awful. I'm not a huge fan of Ash's voice (Veronica Taylor's performance in AG was my personal favorite) but the new VAs have improved since the anniversary special. In fact, I rather like James' new voice.

Aaaand story quality. I'm probably going to take a few bashes for this, but...the original season bores me. It's just filler...filler...filler...Gym battle (and cheaply won badge)...Pokemon capture...filler...you get the idea. Most - if not all - of Ash's badges were either pity badges or won through some ridiculous, Mary-Sue-ish twist of luck. The Pokemon captures were fairly predictable (he ended up with a full team of starters. Tell me how that isn't cliched.) and the stories surrounding them were a bit weak (Ash protects Squirtle ONCE and he turns from a life of crime? Wha~?) And over half of the dialogue was cheesy/corny/stupid/just not funny.

In Johto, the Mary-Sue-ishness was turned down, thank Arceus. And some of the fillers were pretty good (-cough-Forest Grumps-cough) There was still a spattering of stupid dialogue here and there, but not enough to make me hate it.

Then we come to Hoenn. IMO, it was about on-par with Johto, except for one thing; Contests. I've heard people groan about how boring they were, but I have to disagree heartily. Having May and her Contests serve as a distraction from Ash's badge quest freshened up the series for me, providing an opportunity for some between-Gyms eps that weren't filler. And besides; if we didn't have Contests, we wouldn't have Harley in all of his freakish flamboyant awsomeness! :D

And now we're at Sinnoh...and I must say, I'm impressed. The characters, while nothing special, seem a bit more realistic to me. A lot of the jokes are actually making me laugh. There are non-Gym, Contest, capture, or evolution episodes that actually contribute to the plot! Specking of the plot, it's actually - wait for it - gaining some semblance of continuity! Things from previous episodes are referenced in later episodes (Misty Lure!!), characters are recurring (Hunter J ROCKS. Period.), and there are hints of foreshadowing (A Secret Sphere of Influence, anyone?)

So as my final verdict, I say...all of the seasons have something going for them, but I prefer the newer episodes to the older ones. I can understand that some people feel sentimental about the original season, but...I don't.

kabigon

My body is always ready.
    Years
  • The original show was better because even now, at the age of 16, I can watch the old episodes and enjoy them as much as when I was 8. The new series makes me sooooo SICK at how much dawn and may epiclly suck when compared to misty. dawn has a piplup (lame) misty has a gyarados (thats awesome). Also team rocket is better than their carbon copy called team galactic.

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    The original show was better because even now, at the age of 16, I can watch the old episodes and enjoy them as much as when I was 8. The new series makes me sooooo SICK at how much dawn and may epiclly suck when compared to misty. dawn has a piplup (lame) misty has a gyarados (thats awesome). Also team rocket is better than their carbon copy called team galactic.

I agree, the old episodes are always refreshing ad rush back memories. ahhhhhhh. Also dawn is several years later and was meant to portray a beginning trainer and does it well with all her "sucking" and losing. She will eventually get better as shown in the recent Japanese episodes.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    The original show was better because even now, at the age of 16, I can watch the old episodes and enjoy them as much as when I was 8. The new series makes me sooooo SICK at how much dawn and may epiclly suck when compared to misty. dawn has a piplup (lame) misty has a gyarados (thats awesome). Also team rocket is better than their carbon copy called team galactic.

But they're novices. You can't fault one character for being weaker than another character when they haven't been training for as long. The purpose of May and Dawn was to put Ash into the 'strong battler' role, whereas with Misty in the show he was the 'bumbling apprentice'. If Misty had never left the show, I'm willing to bet you'd be singing a different tune...after all, having the same characters in every episode for ten years would get horrendously boring.

kabigon

My body is always ready.
    Years
  • But they're novices. You can't fault one character for being weaker than another character when they haven't been training for as long. The purpose of May and Dawn was to put Ash into the 'strong battler' role, whereas with Misty in the show he was the 'bumbling apprentice'. If Misty had never left the show, I'm willing to bet you'd be singing a different tune...after all, having the same characters in every episode for ten years would get horrendously boring.

I would proabably still like the pokemon show if misty were still in it. I found her much more interesting than the other 2 girls bcaeuse she's a gym leader. Also, keeping the same characters in a show does not make it more boring, people will like the characters more after knowing them for so long. Look at a show like the simpsons, that show is older than pokemon but the characters are the same and it's still going.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    But they're novices. You can't fault one character for being weaker than another character when they haven't been training for as long. The purpose of May and Dawn was to put Ash into the 'strong battler' role, whereas with Misty in the show he was the 'bumbling apprentice'. If Misty had never left the show, I'm willing to bet you'd be singing a different tune...after all, having the same characters in every episode for ten years would get horrendously boring.

I sure would not be and as a matter of fact I would still be watching the show if that was true. Having the same characters in every episode for ten years could work out well if these characters got their share of screen time instead of Ash dominating the spotlight in almost every single episode. That is a big reason why this works out well for the Simpsons, every character gets their time in the spotlight and Homer does not dominate it in every single episode. Even if Misty was still on the show Ash could get out of the bumbling apprentice role and Misty could help the novice trainer while still helping Ash with strategies when he loses. I feel as though the whole screen time thing was unfair and biased too much toward Ash and if this bias had lessened then the series would have been far more interesting in Johto and more character development could have occured. Sure I understand that he is the main character but having fillers where Ash is trapped somewhere can get boring when it is over done while fillers focusing on the others would have been great if the original three main cast members could have stayed together. That way their fans would have been pleased and it would have made Johto which many find to be boring, more interesting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back