• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

Which party are you voting for? (If you could vote...) Foreigners are welcomed.

• Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Third Party (Green, Liberatarian...etc.)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Of course...

This might be off topic for a moment. But do you think McCain is going to the debate tonight?

He has to go...Every single politically aware/undecided voter is waiting for what they're going to say about the economy...even though the topic is about Foreign Policy, I think they'll be able to squeeze in a question or two about the economy

Years
  • Senator McCain has decided to go to the debate. The first forty-five minutes of the debate was focused on the economy. Now it has moved onto the original topic of foreign policy. Also I am posting the JibJab satire of this campaign.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Senator McCain has decided to go to the debate. The first forty-five minutes of the debate was focused on the economy. Now it has moved onto the original topic of foreign policy. Also I am posting the JibJab satire of this campaign.

I'm watching right now...It's pretty good so far. This could just me be being a McCain supporter, but he's doing a great job. He already totally discredited Obama's point that he'd be 4 more years of Bush, and he sounds way more sure about himself and his policies than Obama (big surprise there....)

Years
  • What I just love about McCain is that:

About 90% of his commercials just bash Obama and say what Obama wont do. But still wont say what McCain will do.
    McCain says he is against lobbyists. While, all of his advisers are lobbyists. :\
    McCain voted with Bush on economic issues. Also with things like privatizing social secrurity. Which would cause basically anyone over 75 years old to become poor. :\

McCain will be a Bush. Although I will say McCain > Bush....Everyone > Bush. :] (Also to all those idiots, being imprisoned during war is NOT a qualification to be president. His senate terms are. So stop saying "WELL HE WAS IMPRISONED IN VIETNAM" or you will get a "WELL MY FOOT IS IN YOUR EYE")

At least Obama isn't a hypocrite and says what he will do.

Obama all the way. Why?

He actually says what he WILL do.
    He doesn't spend 99% of his life just bashing the other candidates.
    He isn't Bush.
    He wont spend 12 billion dollars a month on a quite possibly endless war.

Oh, and he has common sense. That is always fun.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Anywho.....

What I just love about McCain is that:

About 90% of his commercials just bash Obama and say what Obama wont do. But still wont say what McCain will do.

Don't be naive, both candidates are doing equal amounts of bashing...That's all that this campaign has been so far. You're telling me that Obama is not bashing McCain in his ads? Have you even seen any of these adds?

McCain says he is against lobbyists. While, all of his advisers are lobbyists. :\

Haha, nice point. Proof is always good instead of just spewing random facts out.

McCain voted with Bush on economic issues. Also with things like privatizing social secrurity. Which would cause basically anyone over 75 years old to become poor.

Do you even understand the social security situation? How would privatizing social security cause the elderly to become poor? Social Security funds are being used on other spending, NO ONE is getting their SS money, so if the elderly aren't getting the money in the first place, it's not really an issue....

McCain will be a Bush. Although I will say McCain > Bush....Everyone > Bush. :] (Also to all those idiots, being imprisoned during war is NOT a qualification to be president. His senate terms are. So stop saying "WELL HE WAS IMPRISONED IN VIETNAM" or you will get a "WELL MY FOOT IS IN YOUR EYE")

McCain will be a Bush? Just like that? Please.....Iraq? The environment? Immigration? Do you even look at the issues, or are you just echoing the liberal media?

His time in Vietnam was a defining moment in his life and shaped him as a politician. No one is saying that being a POW qualifies you to be president. However, the character and resolve that he gained during this time is DEFINITELY a qualification.

At least Obama isn't a hypocrite and says what he will do.

Ahahaha, I could have so much fun with this. But there's so many ways that Barack Obama is a hypocrite, I'd get tired of listing all of them...

You really need to stop saying random stuff and expect people to believe them. Unfortunately, just by reading what you say, people will automatically assume it's the truth. No politician is entirely truthful about their policies, making them all hypocrites. Obama is no different.

Obama all the way. Why?

He actually says what he WILL do.

That's such a horrible point. Both of them are doing the exact same thing in their campaigns, how the heck are you drawing any differences between the truth in their words? Are you really that naive about this election?

He doesn't spend 99% of his life just bashing the other candidates.

Again, BOTH candidates are bashing, not just one.

He isn't Bush.

Not really a point at all. Of course he's not Bush, he's a Democrat, and that's up for scrutiny as well.

He wont spend 12 billion dollars a month on a quite possibly endless war.

But he'll spend billions in Afghanistan, is that really a better alternative in your view?

Oh, and he has common sense. That is always fun.

That's not an intelligent comment at all

The only thing I can draw from all of your comments is that you are incredibly caught up in the liberal media's message. Every single one of your points was an echo of everything that the media is saying about McCain. Don't believe everything you hear dude. Get educated on the issues, and stop spewing out those random facts, and we could actually debate some of your points if you backed them up....

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
  • The Election is rigged anyway but I'm voting for Obama.

Haha, so true. I can't vote yet (lame) but me and my family are all proud supporters of Obama. Personally, I love his view on getting off our dependence on foreign oil and start investing on alternative sources of energy. And tomorrow, there's a meeting in a school near my house where Obama supporters are supposed to go canvassing. And I'm going.

EDIT: @ Aurasphere: My definition of rigged is when a candidate wins the popular vote but not the electoral vote, which is what really matters. Or when something occurs to interfere with the votes of the election. Ex: Election 2000, Gore won the popular vote but not the electoral vote. And the hanging chads on ballots were never counted, possibly stealing the election from Gore. Now tell me some things aren't rigged.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Anywho.....

McCain will be a Bush? Just like that? Please.....Iraq? The environment? Immigration? Do you even look at the issues, or are you just echoing the liberal media?

The only thing McCain is different from Bush is that he actually has good environmental plans...to an extent..

His time in Vietnam was a defining moment in his life and shaped him as a politician. No one is saying that being a POW qualifies you to be president. However, the character and resolve that he gained during this time is DEFINITELY a qualification.

Because PTSD and the nuclear button go so well together. :3 Why don't we just throw in mobility issues, cancer and age in with it!

Ahahaha, I could have so much fun with this. But there's so many ways that Barack Obama is a hypocrite, I'd get tired of listing all of them...

Get tired.

You really need to stop saying random stuff and expect people to believe them. Unfortunately, just by reading what you say, people will automatically assume it's the truth. No politician is entirely truthful about their policies, making them all hypocrites. Obama is no different.

Hm, it isn't random judging how they are facts. Maybe YOU should pay more attention.

The only thing I can draw from all of your comments is that you are incredibly caught up in the liberal media's message. Every single one of your points was an echo of everything that the media is saying about McCain. Don't believe everything you hear dude. Get educated on the issues, and stop spewing out those random facts, and we could actually debate some of your points if you backed them up....

Please tell me where I said Obama doesn't bash. I just implied that McCain does it MORE.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/po...key_mccain_advisors_were_lobbyists_for_s.html

Proof is fun! ^^

About me not knowing the issues, maybe you should look at them. Everything about the enviroment, economics, immigration all that fun stuff McCain voted FOR Bush's proposals on those issues.

Also, if SS is privatized, the person themselves will have to pay for it. Not the government. And most people can't pay for it. :\ Not everyone is rich.

Also, about half of your additions would be considered flaming. Have fun! :D

And, the common sense thing was supposed to be a joke. In case you didn't notice. :3

He will spend LESS THAN 12 BILLION in Afghanistan so yes, it is better.

And if you watch any of the speeches, you will see that all McCain does is say what Obama wont do. Actually, this debate is the first time I have actually heard him say a lot of things on what he is going to do.

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
  • How would you call the election "rigged"? Specify....don't just say it's rigged and be done with it....

I think I know what he's talking about... I saw a program about this a few months ago.

I'm not entirely sure, because I only saw the program once, but there was a lot of evidence suggesting that the Republicans rigged some of the voting machines to count votes differently.

...You could look it up, if you're interested, because I don't know too much about it.
    ---
    On topic, I'm not old enough to vote but I'm 100% for Obama. McCain winning the election would be almost exactly like four more years of Bush...

I did watch the debate tonight, and tbh, I don't think anyone "won" it. I do, however, think that Obama sounded better, like he had all the facts more together than McCain. McCain was just too vague, and not sticking to the point.

...Yes. I'm done.

Years
  • The Electoral Collage does a fairly good job at representing the will of the people. It has only gone against the will of the people only four times in the history of the United Sates. Also I am posting the entire debate. The YouTube video is broken up into eleven parts. This video in this post is part one and the rest of the parts are accessible after part one is done.

Years
  • Quick Thoughts

The debate was pure substance, no lipstick on whatever. It was of course expected that McCain is better on FP. Both candidates knew the facts ....But the economy is what on the voters minds right now and I think it was a draw.

Both candidates sidestepped the issue of which programs to cut due to the Wall. St. Bailout. Maybe on the next debate we'll find out more.

Loved it when Obama said: "this orgy of spending" Yes, I'm immature =P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I thought the debate was disappointingly even. Obama looked presidential and had all the right ideas and stuff, but McCain kept sneering and interuppting him every two seconds to distort and oversimplify all of Obama's ideas, and so Obama naturally had to contest them all for being untrue and they both just ended up wasting lots of time. Obama's gotta be more forceful, which is an unfortunate requirement.

Here's hoping Biden rips Palin a new one next week.

Years
  • Hmm...Debate Thoughts...continued

I thought the debate was disappointingly even. Obama looked presidential and had all the right ideas and stuff, but McCain kept sneering and interuppting him every two seconds to distort and oversimplify all of Obama's ideas, and so Obama naturally had to contest them all for being untrue and they both just ended up wasting lots of time. Obama's gotta be more forceful, which is an unfortunate requirement.

Here's hoping Biden rips Palin a new one next week.

Thoughts...

The interrupting looked real...Democrats in general should develop a backbone and retaliate to such smear campaigns. But the candidates have to look to the public as being above such partisanship due to the economic crisis....

Has anybody noticed that McCain didn't even look towards Obama throughout the debate...and kept on saying Sen. Obama (third-person)...just a thought on body language....

Can't wait to next weeks VP debates...Gwen Iffil's moderating, another PBS newscaster...I can trust that. Let's see how the "shapeshifting" VP's positions will be (Don't worry they'll be coached by the "best" political analysts of the campaigns.)

Also can't wait for the next Presidential Debate on the economy (Lucky they were able to squeeze in the economy last night. Many voters were looking forward on that.)

Unlike some other Presidential Debates there wasn't anything quotable from this one for History books nor the "funnies" both sticked to pure facts and their campaign points nothing on the change that the $700 Billion bailout of Wall.St on their proposed programs....

Except McCain's proposed Full spending freeze (that's new) except on defence, veterans benefits, forgot the last one...this was the only thing surprising....But there are other things that need work, not just foreign policy and defence since this is a Global Economy....

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hehhh...

I remember that....it was during the primaries....I first found out about "The Onion" in USC during the "Youth Health Career Conference 2008." It was very funny...I actually took it seriously 'till the middle of the Parody Newspaper...=P I'm so gullible....LOL

Also anybody heard about DHS "hiring" the Muppets to warn us about the "evil doers" out there...No offence but that's just humourous...

Rudy23

New Guy
    Years
  • A little off-topic but:
    Does any1 here actually find McCain to be a war hero? I dnt find anything heroic about bombing innocent civilian villages in 'nam.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • A little off-topic but:
    Does any1 here actually find McCain to be a war hero? I dnt find anything heroic about bombing innocent civilian villages in 'nam.

That's a pretty ignorant statement, seeing as almost every single major war in world history has had civilian casualties. They are unavoidable. It's called war for a reason, and it's never fair for everyone. That being said, John McCain served in the Navy for many years and was a POW for six of them. He never gave up information that would compromise the U.S. war effort even after being tortured mercilessly. He sacrificed his own safety and well-being for the good of his fellow soldiers and his country, putting his life at risk, and doing so without hesitation. He exemplified what it truly means to be a soldier in the U.S. armed forces. Yes, John McCain is a war hero. What, may I ask, is your definition?

Back