• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup South Africa 2010

Who will win?

• Total voters

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
  • And that's why I expect the winner of the Holland/Brazil side to be in the finals.

Unless this tournament manages to get even more bizarre.

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • OMG I JUST WENT TO SEE BAZIL VS. PORTUGAL IN DURBAN!!!! Oh and vuvuzelas aren't that bad! Seriously, they're liveable!

Anyways, Ghana is the only hope for Africa, so GO GHANA!!!

Ivysaur

Years
  • Very good. Now I expect Uruguay to reach the semis. I'd be really happy if they were in the final.

The US looked really well during the second half, but they died down with the equalizer. They should have kept pushing longer.

Moment of the match: Howard and Kingson fighting for the ball.

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
  • My predictions and explanations:

Uruguay vs South Korea - Not a prediction because the match already occured.

Argentina vs Mexico - I didn't think Diego's Argentina would be that good because of their poor performances and almost not qualifying during the qualifiers, but held together by Lionel's play-making abilities, I'm confident that Argentina SHOULD win, but it is highly possible that Mexico could shock. In fact, if it happens, I wouldn't be surprised. Dos Santos could help lead Mexico to a win. To be fair we've seen that the Argentina's defending is very shakey at times. If Mexico can exploit that then who knows, but obviously Argentina's attack is far superior to Mexico's. But we shall see. I'll give Argentina the narrow edge.

Ghana vs USA - Not a prediction because the match already occured.

England vs Germany - Germany will win, nightmare draw for England, just shows you how important winning the group was. Germany just really matches up well against England. Ozil's precision passing along the midfield will burden England for sure. They will have problems containing Germany in the midfield with no true and internationally tested holding midfielder. Schweini will have a key role again and he has been massive this season. Although, the game could really go either way. For some reason I think that England (as always) will end up losing in a penalty shoot-out. Unfortunately for England happens all the time.

Netherlands vs Slovakia - Holland, who usually start in great form, were slow starters but are one of the rare teams to have won all their group games at the time being. They face Slovakia who surprised many, if not the whole world, by knocking out Italy. Of course Holland has better players and should win this. However it won't be the first time the Dutch slipped up against lesser opposition, especially when one of the big guns is in the next game, they sometimes overlook the task at hand (e.g. Denmark '92 and Russia '08).

Paraguay vs Japan - Kind of a close call..These teams are very equal in my eyes. But it's time for a South American team to go home. :P I think Japan will edge it out either 2-1, 1-0, or from a free kick (they've been amazing at those this World Cup). Possibly a penalty win.

Brazil vs Chile - Brazil will frustrate the very aggressive Chileans. Brazil plays a very relaxed style of football at time and Chile is always on the attack. Brazilian midfield and defense will frustrate them, and I can see Brazil edging out 2-0 with goals from Luis Fabiano and Robinho.

Spain vs Portugal - On paper, Spain SHOULD bury Portugal in this game, but I really want Spain to go home and Portugal to come out with a big upset and wipe that grin off all of the people that like Spain's face. As much as I don't like Cristiano Ronaldo, I dislike the Spanish national team more. -.- Portugal's defence has not been breached so far, it will be interesting to see how they cope with David Villa. Spain's Torres is SOOOO out of form. Since his injuries, he's put on weight and has gotten a whole lot slower. I think Cesc Fabregras would be more effective than Fernando. Quieroz is a good coach. If he can pack up the midfield like he did against Brazil, and i suspect he was preparing himself and his team for the Spain game, than i wouldn't put it past them to beat us. Spain already play with 4 central midfielders, who all seem to get in each other's way at times, they'll struggle with players like Pepe/ Tiago throwing themselves at every single opportunity in a narrow midfield area. I think Del Bosque will start Torres, just to keep the Portuguese defenders busy, mentally at least, and stick Villa on the left again where he can cut inside.

With Ronaldo on the break, Portugal are very dangerous, especially with Pique's lack of pace. [Albiol] SHOULD be good against him but he's almost never in position.

[EDIT]: Meant to say Albiol not Alves....

Last edited:

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA~
    MUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYUKYU~

DAMN.

Seriously, we got shut down. Big time.

We were outrun, and...

You know that saying, "Aim for the head?"

Doesn't work in World Cup soccer.

Come on, USA...

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • There isn't one player apart from lahm that could get into the England team, England will thrive under this pressure and the superior team will win. Mark my words!

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
  • There isn't one player apart from lahm that could get into the England team, England will thrive under this pressure and the superior team will win. Mark my words!

Yeah, right! That is not true at all. England would love to have Ozil and Miroslav Klose.

If rankings are any indicator of superiority, as you said the superior team, Germany, will win....

Mark my words! -.-

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • For now gerrard and lampard are superior to ozil, so no I wouldn't. And Klose has a habbit of scoring goals but doesn't contribute muh else. I would take klose ans lahm and that's it. And the FIFA rankings mean nothing, everybody bows that.

jjeangi

It's me...
    Years
  • Boy are you WRONG!

IF Capello keeps playing his little 4-4-2, Ozil will walk right through England's midfield.

And Gerrard's been on the wing buddy. He won't be seeing too much of Ozil unless he gets out of position or Capello gives him a more centered role..

Ozil > Gerrard > Lampard

It's a shame that Gerrard and Lampard can't even play together at all.....

Also they're not the best defending midfielders, they're very good on the attack but defense for them is iffy at times.

England will hate Germany's pace of play...

EDIT: I forgot to mention, Khedira the German midfielder is EXCELLENT at the tackle and should make life hell for English. Unlike the Germans, the English midfield is lacks stopping power, and that's a fact mate...

England should really switch to a 4-5-1 if they want to win the match..

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • What are yu talking about?! I said gerrard and lamps are better players than ozil. It's barry that will have to contain ozil. You cleary haven't watched England closley because Barry has been great since he came back and he brings the bite into midfield.

Sorry but you are so wrong. Anyway gemany have played 1 decent game against Australia and England have had one against Slovenia. Stop patronising me as you sound stupid by saying ozil is better than gerrard or lampard after having 3 decent games in the WC and 1 good season in an average league. HA!

And it's not a 442, it's a 41212. Your football intelect appears to be lacking, no offense.
    "English midfield is lacks stopping power, and that's a fact mate" ....Uhm.... Gareth Barry?

The only thing that worries me is Rooneys lack of form and Podolski taking advantage of Glen Johnson, because he's not great defensively.

Last edited:

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    No one gives a f*ck for Mexico. I don't care if it is Argentina, and if they have the World's best player. We'll do a nice match, just as in 2006. We must accept that Argentina's goal was just luck, an awesome goal, but it was luck.

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • With Ronaldo on the break, Portugal are very dangerous, especially with Pique's lack of pace. Dani Alves SHOULD be good against him but he's almost never in position

LOL! Dani Alves is Brazilian not Spanish, your just embarrassing yourself! And Dani Alves does t even start for Brazil either, Maicon does. Sergio Ramos is the Spanish right back and he is good defensivley.

Ivysaur

Years
  • With Ronaldo on the break, Portugal are very dangerous, especially with Pique's lack of pace. Dani Alves SHOULD be good against him but he's almost never in position.

Ignoring the fact that Dani Alves is Brazilian, I'm sure you haven't watched both R. Madrid-Barça matches this year, and how Piqué kept stopping Ronaldo 99% of the times he tried to outrun him.

Years
  • I'll admit I missed half of that conversation but isn't Ozil supposed to be injured?

Nevermind, it turns out only Cacau and Schweinsteiger injured.

Well we better be wary of Ozil.

Hopeful Line-up:

James
    Johnson
    Terry
    Upson/Carragher? (Anyone but King)
    A.Cole
    Lennon/SWP
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Lennon/SWP
    Rooney
    Defoe

I know Capello will never put Gerrard in the middle thanks to his love affair with Barry so we'll be seeing Gerrard and Milner on the wings again. I'd much prefer to play Lennon and SWP to really go at Germany.

EDIT: Just read a little more and while I disagree with almost everything jjeangi said, I do agree we should play 4-5-1 but Capello won't. Barry as a DM with Gerrard and Lampard ahead of him attacking aswell as Lennon and SWP on the wings all playing to set up Rooney sounds mouthwatering but no Capello will go 4-4-2.

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • I agree with that 451 formation but at least he's not playing Heskey. And anyone besides Carrager at CB. King is a top player but we shouldn't risk him.

The team has come out and is the same as the Slovenia match.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    2 of my predictions are right so far. (I predicted Uruguay before the game started aswell, so bleh you.)

Here's hoping for 3. C'MON ENGLAND!

Ivysaur

Years
  • GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL YES GERMANY BEAT THESE GUYS WHO WERE BORN IN THE SAME COUNTRY AS HAMILTON!!![/goes to take chill pill]

Ahem. Fun match for the time being.

Back