• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Japanese anime?

Har D Har

Master Mapper Supreme!
    Years
    Pokemon-- Just Gay (liked the movie though)
    Naruto---- Sucks and overhyped
    Yu-gi-oh--- First couple of episodes were good but the others XD
    Digimon---- Haven't really watched in in a while but the second season sucked

Would you like me to kill you now or later?

Pokemon First 3 seasons: Awesome
    Pokemon other seasons: Ehhh
    Naruto: You are out of your god damn mind, it rocks
    Yu-Gi-Oh!: Original=Good 4Kids=WTF
    Digimon First two seasons: Awesome
    Digimon 3rd season: Pretty Good
    4th and onward: Bleh
    One Piece 4Kids: See Yugioh 4Kids
    One Piece Funimation: Awesome

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    I'm actually quite surprised with some of the choices so far, but I guess they're all personal opinion, so some bias is inevitable.

Pokemon: I have to agree with some of the nay-sayers here since I can't find much difference between the seasons aside from the Pokemon and characters. They're all pretty much the same, walking around, challenging Gyms, blasting Team Rocket off and competing in Pokemon Leagues and Contests. In respect however, the first season was groundbreaking, for obvious reasons (it being the very first and all) but I also like the subbed version of season 10 (Diamond and Pearl). It just seems more refined than all the others.

Digimon: I think Digimon was a great counter to the Pokemon rise, but it did grow stale after a while. Personally, I think it had a more in depth concept of a story and with each season, always introduced something new. Season 3 was my favourite, mainly because of the characters and the incoporation of the real world. I adore Ruki. x3

Duel Masters: Although I understand why a lot of people hate this series, I can't help but like it. I admit that I hat the mixture of the 3d monsters and 2d animation, but aside from that and its horrible story, I found the light heartedness of the venture amusing. Plus, the constant breaking of the 4th wall was new to me then and I kinda enjoyed the lack of seriousness its Yu-Gi-Oh! rival always seemed to put into a card game. I really liked the characters the most though, although some of the VAs were just terrible. >>;

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Everything before GX was fantastic imo. At the time, the story was new (to me anyway) and all the characters were really interesting. It did drag on after a while and it irritated me that fights were always settled by playing cards, but eh, that's what the series was about. The art's great and the whole undelrying 'Pharaoh searching for his identity' theme that carried all the way through til GX, was enjoyable.

But back on topic, the worst anime I've come across is probably Bakugan Battle Brawlers. The art's inconsistent and dodgy, the story's placid and uninteresting and the general concept is just bad. I can't like it no matter how many times I tried watching it. >>

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    -(English) Pokemon Anime
    -Yugioh and all incarnations, regardless of language *Big-time Yugioh hater*
    -(English) One Piece
    -(English) Shaman King
    -(English) Naruto
    -Cardcaptors (The Mulilated English Translation of Card Captor Sakura)

SUBTITLES FTW!!!

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    -(English) Pokemon Anime
    -Yugioh and all incarnations, regardless of language *Big-time Yugioh hater*
    -(English) One Piece
    -(English) Shaman King
    -(English) Naruto
    -Cardcaptors (The Mulilated English Translation of Card Captor Sakura)

SUBTITLES FTW!!!

That's ****ing weak.

You realise that regardless of dubbing they're still the same show.

Years
    • Seen today
    That's ****ing weak.

Card Captor Sakura wasn't the same show at all. It was edited to be aimed at boys instead of the original target of girls. One Piece was also horribly handled, if I recall correctly, 4Kids went as far as skipping 30 or 40 episodes just so they could get to a certain character earlier.

The other shows did have some pretty bad editing at times ("soul stealing sawblades"), but those were pretty intact.

To-LOVE-Ru is just awful - I tried to watch it but 1 episode and I couldn't take anymore.
    Totally agreed. I don't see the reason people like this show so much. I couldn't get beyond the second episode.

Tsukuyomi

fly.me.to.the.moon.
    Years
    Every anime on 4kidz, and cartoon network, including adult swim.
    No animes are good anymore, and the only ones that are worth watching, are in Japanese.

You are such a weeaboo if you think the Japanese version automatically makes things better. Need I remind you that [adult swim] shows include Fullmetal Alchemist? The FUNi dub of One Piece on CN? More often than not (4Kids not withstanding), dubs today are very faithful to the original, but fanboys just complain if they change one single word from their crappy fansubs. Hate the dub, you hate the show. It's that simple.

But I'd have to say Naruto. Everything about it is horrible.
    I watched a couple of episodes just to back up my point. Plus the overall fan-base, is fat, obnoxious, greasy, cheap, losers. A lot of kids that go to my school are obsessed. You couldn't go a day without seeing Bleach, Naruto or Death Note accessories from them. They all think they are cute Japanese school girls, or tough ninjas. Seriously, it annoys me to know what kind of idiots represent American English dubbed anime.

While I agree with you on the Naruto point, English dubs actually aren't that bad nowadays. Most changes are made because of American broadcasting requirements: blood has to be toned down, no underage drinking (Lee's Drunken Fist/Loopy Fist) or smoking, etc. If you want to see a really edited English dub, come to the UK. Naruto, even though it has a late timeslot (8:30 pm), is completely shot of blood, alcohol (even though it's consumed by adults), and even "pervert". You need to be more grateful.

I also think Neon Genesis Evangelion is completely terrible, Trigun isn't that great, Madlax is boring, ToHeart and ToHeart2 are boring too.

That boggles my mind, and I understand its ending perfectly. I'd like to see your justification of this. No, seriously. I would. Evangelion may be a mindf*** but it isn't that tricky.

Pokémon: Pretty much what 8D said. Don't try and deny it. It's blatantly advertising their products.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: It takes itself TOO GODDAMN SERIOUSLY. I mean, come on: children's trading cards determining the fate of the world? I found it hard to keep a straight face.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: It started off good, as it didn't take the whole "children's card game" routine seriously, but in later episodes, it sunk lower than its predecessor. Actually, the 4Kids dub was an improvement; they made a crappy series slightly better by taking it less seriously.

Naruto: It started out promisingly with the Zabuza arc, which empathised that ninja were cold-hearted killers, but pretty much skewered it with the whole "ninja magic" idea. The series peaked during the Gaara vs. Lee fight - that effing ROCKED - but went downhill from there. I think the trouble is that Kishimoto has no idea where the hell his series is going and it takes itself too seriously; it's quite a ridiculous, fantastic universe but it's basically a clown with a stoic face. It should be fun but it does the exact opposite. I don't like Dragonball, but at least it has fun.

InuYasha: It's like the Duracell rabbit: it just keeps going and going and going. The ending is a prime example of a WTF moment. Here's how it goes: You go through 100+ episodes of story SLOWLY being unfolded. Episodes that follow specific patterns of either being the group running into Naraku/reincarnations and not getting to kill either who in turn flees, multipart episodes, random demon of the week that poses little to no threat, "character development" fillers, and InuYasha going to Kagome's time period. So you go through that, with the series being more filler than anything else. You get pumped over the idea of Naraku being cornered.

He flees and then the group once again resolves to finish him off some day. End of series.

What?

If you stuck with the series that long, you deserved it.

Bakugan: No explanation for this one.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    That's ****ing weak.

I prefer the original voives aka the voices they were meant to have.

Also, I loooove hearing those Honorfics like -san, -chan, -kun, ect.

Years
    • Seen today
    I prefer the original voives aka the voices they were meant to have.
    Technically, if you want to be really anal about it, none of them outside of Pokemon were meant to voices since they all started out as manga and the animation adaptations usually didn't come for years after the start of the manga.

Though I'm in the group that believes just because it was dubbed in Japanese first doesn't mean that the English dubs can't be good or surpass their Japanese counterparts.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    To-LOVE-Ru: I loved the manga, but the show was ruined. It became generic ecchi.
    Yu-gi-oh 5 D's:...Children's card games on motorcycles, I refuse to give more of an explaination.
    Mokke: Just wasn't very good.
    Lucky Star: I'm sorry this show made me want to throw myself off of a seven story building. It's just 25 minutes of girls doing dumb things and parodying things.

Yubii Chan

Godess of Awsome
    Years
    I'd have to ride with every anime that was ever based on a Video Game. Even if it was in japanese, not in those crappy english dubs..
    Yep. i mean pokemon, the new blue dragon thing...

Years
    • Seen today
    Yu-gi-oh 5 D's:...Children's card games on motorcycles, I refuse to give more of an
    I find that people who say this don't usually watch more than an episode or two of the series. Yeah, the basic premise of people playing card games on motorcycles is weird, but aside from that, the series has a great story going so far showing that their world has become a dystopian one with social segregation going on all over the place and what people are trying to do to escape the poor subclass and live a normal life.
    digimon..............just uh...
    First, try not to bypass the word limit. Second, have you ever even seen any Digimon series?

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    No I've been watching 5 D's. It's also a recycles premise full of expys of old charecters. They just make Kaiba---er Jack, crazy and Yugi, I sorry Yuusei a darker and edegy Atem.

PikachuEX

A Rare Pikachu Lover
    Years
    Negima!: I don't have anything against it completely, in fact I love the manga, but it wasn't that good. 2 volume arcs turning into 2 episode ones, pointless color changes, and so much noncanon material. The best part of the Negima! anime, other than the music which is awesome, is the last episode, with all 31 girls having pactios.

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
    So this is where the weeaboos hang out...こばんわうぇあぼ
    Naruto. The VERY worst. LOL GAIZ, LETZ HAS A 40 EPISODE BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally can't stand Bo-bo-bo.... OH I give up!
    How can you not like that? It was hilarious.
    On another note, the Lucky Star dub is probably going to be terrible. I don't know how they plan on doing that, since it's mostly weeaboos and otaku who will get it...and the people who watch dubs WILL NOT get like any of it.

solopy567

Giga....Drill....BREAKER! !!!!
    Years
    There is one anime which i really don't understand nor like.

That Sailor Moon thing....I watched the first episode and i was in a WTFish mood throughout....Seriously, there are better animes than that one..It was really strange

Back