• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Japanese anime?

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I've seen a lot in this thread that are some of the one's I hate too.
    Bakugan now what does it sound like when you stick a y between the B and the A.
    Duel Masters definetly then I cant believe they even made it into a trading card game.
    Code Gess or whatever it is called
    and Astro Boy.

Years
  • The first anime that comes to mind is Naruto. It is a cliched shonen series in which the main lead wants to be the "greatest (in this case, Hokage) EVA!!!" Despite this, MANY anime fans love it. It is by far the most over-rated anime series I have ever seen.

In addition to having a poor and unoriginal plot, nearly all of its characters are obnoxious. Naruto is an irritatingly hyperactive kid who needs a good dosage of ridalin, Sasuke is an angsty emo *******, and Sakura is an idiotic fangirl with relatively poor taste. Really, I think the only characters who I can tolerate are Shikamaru, Choji (since he is the anime version of Eric Cartman), and Kakashi (since he told Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura that they were unworthy in one of the early episodes).

Inuyasha is horrible. The first two seasons were good, but during the third season, it went downhill. The show began to be contaminated by pointless filler episodes. As such, the speed in which its story unfolded became extremely slow, making it a real chore to watch. Furthermore, all of its characters with the exception of Kikyou became annoying over time. In particular, I dislike Miroku and Sango, mainly because of how boring and irritating their romance was. It did not help either one of them grow or develop as characters. Instead, it made them both intolerable. Overall, their relationship was only meant to serve as a source of comical relief (and, to that end, it was a poor attempt at humor). Even after Miroku proposed to Sango, he remained a lecherous creep while Sango still got pissed at and beat on him. Some relationship, huh?

Then, in the final episode, Naraku does not die, but rather disappears for the protagonists to fight another day. Overall, its conclusion was incomplete and left me feeling extremely dissatisfied.

Bishoujo Sensei Sailor Moon drives me mad. I did not like the show when I was a kid, since I found its plot mind numbingly boring and could detect (even at the age of six) all of the butchering that was done in the dub. However, I did give it another chance in my junior year of high school by downloading some subbed episodes of the first season online. Needless to say, I hated them. Overall, I found the show misogynistic in its portrayal of women (especially in how it defined male/female relationships). Nearly all of its female characters were giggling school girls who fell under offensive female stereotypes. Then, we have Tuxedo Kamen, the douche bag hero boy who saves the scouts on a regular basis from monsters. What message is the show attempting to convey? That women should be weak, idiotic damsels and rely on men to protect and save them? Talk about giving children a bad message.

And the plot is VERY predictable. I knew right from the start that Sailor Moon was the Moon Princess and that Tuxedo Kamen was her prince. Also, the whole thing with Beryl having an attraction to Kamen did not surprise me, neither did Sailor V being Sailor Venus.

Both One Piece dubs are horrible (yes, even the Funimation dub. The bad voice acting kills all of the show's characters). The original Japanese version is awesome, though.

I hate the YGO dub due to all of the edits 4Kids made. However, I do enjoy the Japanese version. I cannot tolerate either version of GX, though. In both versions, the plot basically revolves around a Marty-Stu who pisses around a school campus dueling other students. Even when there is a plot involving world domination, it is placed on the back burner for school duels.

All three Dragon Ball sagas irritate me. The plot involves macho ignoramuses on steroids who mindlessly battle each other, whether it be to win tournaments or to determine the fate of the world. The only good thing about the series is that the infamous "OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!" comes from it. That quote is so lame that it is laughable.

Pokemon has gone down in value over the years. The Kanto and Orange Islands sagas were great. However, from Johto onwards, the show began to lose its spark and eventually became boring to watch. Granted, there are some episodes from Johto onwards that are enjoyable (in particular, I really like "Ignorance is Blissy," "A Poached Ego," and "Training Daze"), but for the most part... blah.

Finally, Bakugan. I do not think there is any need for me to provide an explanation on why it sucks.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Bleach. I never liked it, and there's a huuuuge overhype about it. my theory is that people like it just cause it's the most popular anime in America, and that makes them wanna watch it. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

I also don't like Naruto. I HATE overhype. "HO MAY GAWD A SHOW ABOUT NINJAZ MUST WATCH DIS."
    That's what I heard half my friends saying the week before it started airing on TV XD;

You idiot, Bleach is good.
    I can agree to you for Naruto.
    --------
    Final Fantasy Unlimited is really ****.
    Anything about cards sucks. (Yu-Gi-Oh, Duel Masters, etc.) (I guess this will create a massive overthrow, as a lot of ppl love Yu-Gi-Oh.)

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    You idiot, Bleach is good.

I don't think calling her an idiot justifies BLEACH being good. The fact is, like Naruto, it is over hyped (at least where I live anyway) and is probably the only reason it seems to be so popular. I'm a fan of the manga but the anime is something else.

Anything about cards sucks. (Yu-Gi-Oh, Duel Masters, etc.) (I guess this will create a massive overthrow, as a lot of ppl love Yu-Gi-Oh.)

That's kinda broad. I think the premise of Yu-Gi-Oh! (before GX) was decent. Sure it was completely ridiculous in terms of relating to reality but then that would just make it boring. Beating down someone double your size just by playing a card game, evil spirits from the past taking over people's bodies and minds and a group of kids who save the world from the clutches of evil on more than one occasion is always fun to watch, at least for me anyway. It did get a little monotonous but it was definitely a nice change from the Pokemon, Digimon and DGZ era.

Of course, I've kinda given up on anime since most of them don't do their manga counterparts any justice or credit. There are a few exceptions of course, anime-only series and the shorter series' adaptions are generally the best.

Bakugan Battle Brawlers is still the worst anime I've ever seen though. It was on again this morning... *shudders

Ibuberu

prepare yourself pls
    Years
  • I don't watch Bleach and Naruto, I tried watching the first episode of both and... both didn't really appeal to me. A partial reason why I dislike Naruto is probably because of the fans. :/ I also don't like Duel Masters and Yu-Gi-Oh! One was the rip off of another and both had decent storylines, but became boring after the first few episodes, in my opinion. Pokemon. I used to love watching Pokemon on the weekends on TV many years ago, in the Kanto/Johto saga. Those were the good ol' days, lately, the anime just turns me off. D: The plot and storyline is dead. Satoshi either helps a someone/Legendary of loses/wins/rematches a gym leader. The utter repetitiveness got on my nerves.

I also don't like Dragonball. I mean, not really, I don't hate it, but I can't seem to grasp whats so interesting about it. Granted, Vegeta(is that how you spell his name?) was quite the character.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Pokemon. I used to love watching Pokemon on the weekends on TV many years ago, in the Kanto/Johto saga. Those were the good ol' days, lately, the anime just turns me off. D: The plot and storyline is dead. Satoshi either helps a someone/Legendary of loses/wins/rematches a gym leader. The utter repetitiveness got on my nerves.

I think the fact that they kept trudging Satoshi through every season with new and cameo company alike ruins it. Like I said before, the first two seasons were okay, considering it was still new at the time but it just got old, and fast.

I even preferred how Digimon tried to spruce up each of their seasons with new characters and different realities of the real and Digital World. Digimon Tamers, Frontier and Savers were decent imo, even though Adventures 1&2 are generally considered the best.

I also don't like Dragonball. I mean, not really, I don't hate it, but I can't seem to grasp whats so interesting about it. Granted, Vegeta(is that how you spell his name?) was quite the character.

It's just fighting. ^0^ It's like a haven for high testosterone fans and fighting enthusiasts. It was really repetitive and some of the fights dragged on for ages, but seeing the characters grow and fight is part of the series appeal I think. Although I love DBZ, I absolutely despise GT. ><

Ibuberu

prepare yourself pls
    Years
  • Agreed. Digimon was a decent anime. I quite liked Tamers and Frontier. (:

As for Pokemon, its probably because the anime is aimed at kids, who don't really get bugged by repeated sceanrios as long as there's a battle/Pokemon involved I suppose. Still, the Pokemon anime had some potential, but the imagination of the writers seemed to die down after the first two seasons. And even though I do like a good dosage of shonen fighting, I think I was mainly pulled away from DBZ because of the artists' drawing style, its nowhere near 'bad', of course, it just doesn't appeal to me. xD;

I like Piccolo, though, for some strange reason. XD;

Tsukuyomi

fly.me.to.the.moon.
    Years
  • The first anime that comes to mind is Naruto. It is a cliched shonen series in which the main lead wants to be the "greatest (in this case, Hokage) EVA!!!" Despite this, MANY anime fans love it. It is by far the most over-rated anime series I have ever seen.

In addition to having a poor and unoriginal plot, nearly all of its characters are obnoxious. Naruto is an irritatingly hyperactive kid who needs a good dosage of ridalin, Sasuke is an angsty emo *******, and Sakura is an idiotic fangirl with relatively poor taste. Really, I think the only characters who I can tolerate are Shikamaru, Choji (since he is the anime version of Eric Cartman), and Kakashi (since he told Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura that they were unworthy in one of the early episodes).

Inuyasha is horrible. The first two seasons were good, but during the third season, it went downhill. The show began to be contaminated by pointless filler episodes. As such, the speed in which its story unfolded became extremely slow, making it a real chore to watch. Furthermore, all of its characters with the exception of Kikyou became annoying over time. In particular, I dislike Miroku and Sango, mainly because of how boring and irritating their romance was. It did not help either one of them grow or develop as characters. Instead, it made them both intolerable. Overall, their relationship was only meant to serve as a source of comical relief (and, to that end, it was a poor attempt at humor). Even after Miroku proposed to Sango, he remained a lecherous creep while Sango still got pissed at and beat on him. Some relationship, huh?

Then, in the final episode, Naraku does not die, but rather disappears for the protagonists to fight another day. Overall, its conclusion was incomplete and left me feeling extremely dissatisfied.

Bishoujo Sensei Sailor Moon drives me mad. I did not like the show when I was a kid, since I found its plot mind numbingly boring and could detect (even at the age of six) all of the butchering that was done in the dub. However, I did give it another chance in my junior year of high school by downloading some subbed episodes of the first season online. Needless to say, I hated them. Overall, I found the show misogynistic in its portrayal of women (especially in how it defined male/female relationships). Nearly all of its female characters were giggling school girls who fell under offensive female stereotypes. Then, we have Tuxedo Kamen, the douche bag hero boy who saves the scouts on a regular basis from monsters. What message is the show attempting to convey? That women should be weak, idiotic damsels and rely on men to protect and save them? Talk about giving children a bad message.

And the plot is VERY predictable. I knew right from the start that Sailor Moon was the Moon Princess and that Tuxedo Kamen was her prince. Also, the whole thing with Beryl having an attraction to Kamen did not surprise me, neither did Sailor V being Sailor Venus.

A winner is this gu-!

Both One Piece dubs are horrible (yes, even the Funimation dub. The bad voice acting kills all of the show's characters). The original Japanese version is awesome, though.

Whoops, my mistake. The voice-acting's fine, mate, better than what 4Kids could do (even though I thought that Marc Diraison did the better Zoro). I'd like to hear your justification.

Saruboy

Closet pokemon fan
    Years
  • Speaking of American anime, although not an anime per say, Boondocks artwork is inspired by anime.

Oh.... I don't watch much anime, but one that pissed me off was the Dragon Ball Z series. I liked the show, but the draging-30-minutes-into-30-episodes thing they did irked the crap out of me. Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • My least favourite anime series are Yugioh, Beyblade, Hamtaro, and anything with "Gundam" in the name. They just aren't my thing, sorries. ^^

Years
  • Code Geass, I can't understand why people are so hyped up about it. I got bored not even halfway through the first series. I don't think anything's wrong with it, but mecha just isn't my thing, excluding a few.

Elfen Lied... just got way too weird for me... XD

Lucky Star. I enjoyed Lucky Star for the first little while... but the whole jumpy random girly crap got to me and I couldn't take it anymore. The only thing I really liked about the show was how funny Konata was, and how cute Tsukasa was.

Kinuchio

A Panda PoKeMoN Trainer
    Years
  • All three Dragon Ball sagas irritate me. The plot involves macho ignoramuses on steroids who mindlessly battle each other, whether it be to win tournaments or to determine the fate of the world. The only good thing about the series is that the infamous "OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!" comes from it. That quote is so lame that it is laughable.

I love this quote. As you can see, cuz, it is in my avatar. Though, I cannot agree with the DBZ hate thing. DBZ inspired alot of the sheezy animes out today, and though it may be responsible for their over-lived existences, it certainly set the ground for them. I remember reading somewhere that Masashi Kishimoto (I don't remember if that was his name, or if I spelled it right. Creator of Naruto, btw.) was inspired by Akira Toriyama's work. I mean, isn't everyone? I can't bring myself to stand ANY current overly-hyped animes. Naruto I can't stand. A ninja wearing orange...? 'Nuff said. Bleach pisses me off. I can't bring myself to stand it. I don't like Yu Gi Oh. I don't like card games, so a show based off of one complicated card game (in my opinion) is utter nonsense. The guy's a genius, though...

But I HATE INUYASHA! I'm sorry for all of the girl's hearts I just made beat faster with the intent of killing me. I really thought it was just too girly. I mean, Inuyasha is just the trademark mean-but-soft demon who befriends an anime chick. Nothing special. Plus, the english voices were awful! The only anime I can bring myself to watch these days is Samurai Champloo, which is old. That anime's badass, with a capital B.

-HeaveN-

In this craziness, absurdity..
    Years
  • I can't really say I agree with most of you. Then again, I do agree with some of you.XD
    The worst anime, according to me:

1. Pokemon
    Reason: It's watched worldwide, they don't seem to make it more interesting. The first seasons were damn good. But this Hoenn and Diamond, this is just so-predictable. The writers must be kids of 5 or 6 years old. huh

2. Initial-D First Stage:
    Reason: I hate it so much! Repulsive as it may appear but the drawings are so like horrible. The story's like yuck. And the girl who sings the theme song is so like showing-off. Just thinking of it makes me wanna pull her hair. (Sorry got a little carried away)

3. ColourCloud Palace:
    Reason: It's not meant or kids to watch. It's way elder stuff. The drawings are cute. But they shouldn't involve things like..(I can't tell *Zip mouth*)

4. Gun X Sword:
    Reason: Way stupid. Way idiotic. It makes no sense at all. Nonsense.

can't think of more. I forgot the title names. -_-. But there are more I despise.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2014
    Providing we ignore Hentai, which some of would absolutely take the cake over anything else, Well, the worst thing I've seen recently is Zombie Loan. It really just made me want to punch myself. I could suffer through to the end because it was so short. UGhh...

Also, I only watched the first episode, but from what I saw, Yugioh 5D's was pretty bad. Yugioh GX actually turned out to be pretty good (Entirely it's own level of judgement. Compared to anything else, it wouldn't make the cut, but it's good on a Yugioh scale.) but I just can't see what they were thinking when they decided to do this.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2014
    Most of you have just watched the commercial and said yea that show is BAD. But I have watched and hated thsese shows:
    Yugioh
    Yugioh GX
    Eureka 7
    Zoids
    Sailor Moon (if u have a sister like mine you will have seen every stupid episode)
    Deul Masters

also, may I ask how Astroboy sucked? It was the first Japaneese Anime back in the 70's, to some people its the start of anime. The only reason it could suck is because it is slow and no action really because it is a 1970's show.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • Diamond, this is just so-predictable.
    In the Pokemon fandom, people associate the DP anime with the phrase "anything can happen" and so far it seems that way.

also, may I ask how Astroboy sucked? It was the first Japaneese Anime back in the 70's, to some people its the start of anime. The only reason it could suck is because it is slow and no action really because it is a 1970's show.

Astroboy came in the 60s. My mom's best friend was one of the first otakus and watched it.

Technically, if you want to be really anal about it, none of them outside of Pokemon were meant to voices since they all started out as manga and the animation adaptations usually didn't come for years after the start of the manga.

But Pokemon didn'tt originate as a manga, it started out as a game and then a manga started but the manga has nothing to do with the anime.

Is it just me or does it seem like everyone ignores each other's posts here? Some "community"

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    In the Pokemon fandom, people associate the DP anime with the phrase "anything can happen" and so far it seems that way.
    Like a newbie trainer beating a seasoned trainer? (Hikari VS Haruka) Yeah, that's so unpredictable it doesn't actually make sense. The Pokemon fandom loves to exaggerate things, yeah, there are a few interesting things, but most of them rely on the fact that you've gotta strip the main characters of any development they may have gone through in previous seasons, making them pretty much pointless unless it's one of those incredibly rare episodes that has a character coming back.

But Pokemon didn'tt originate as a manga, it started out as a game and then a manga started but the manga has nothing to do with the anime.
    Yes, that's why I said "outside from Pokemon". The Pokemon anime began only a little over a year after the release of the first set of games. That's about how long it takes for an anime to begin development. It was always meant to have an anime. As for the manga, if you're talking about Pokemon Special, it started its run in 4th-6th grade magazine or whatever it's called just about a month or so before the anime.

Back