• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A Thread v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Ok I want to buy a Jap. X game but my 3DS is US, I know this is most likely just a simple answer, but google says things about PAL and region locks and such, but will the Japanese game work on my 3DS?

The 3DS in general is region-locked, so if you wanted to get a Japanese copy of the games you also need a Japanese 3DS, and same goes for other regions - you can't play a game from a region if you don't have a corresponding system.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • The 3DS in general is region-locked, so if you wanted to get a Japanese copy of the games you also need a Japanese 3DS, and same goes for other regions - you can't play a game from a region if you don't have a corresponding system.

Ok sorry for maybe the dumbness here, but I have heard and with the recent shiny events that ppl from France have the french DS but the Japanese game, are other regions and exception? I mean I bought the Jap. games every time for my US DSi and they work just firne, but never tried with the 3DSs.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2019
    Masuda Method plus other questions

Starting my first real attempt (following a feeble attempt back in the Black 2 days) at the Masuda Method.. Must have gone through about 100 Cyndaquils so far. How many eggs does it usually take you guys?
    Related, does any EXP make an event Pokemon worthless?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Ok sorry for maybe the dumbness here, but I have heard and with the recent shiny events that ppl from France have the french DS but the Japanese game, are other regions and exception? I mean I bought the Jap. games every time for my US DSi and they work just firne, but never tried with the 3DSs.

Some real life events are strict:
    - Codes based events are 100% strictly region locked. Note that EU regions can share codes, while UK, US and AU cannot share codes.
    - Real life events are usually region free, unless otherwise stated. For example, Hoopa can be downloaded if you watched the movie this year, regardless your 3DS and Game Card's region. While the Movie Legendary Pokémon were region-locked.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Starting my first real attempt (following a feeble attempt back in the Black 2 days) at the Masuda Method.. Must have gone through about 100 Cyndaquils so far. How many eggs does it usually take you guys?
    Related, does any EXP make an event Pokemon worthless?
    Unfortunately breeding for shinies, even with the Masuda method and the shiny charm can still take a while and just comes down to pure luck. Sometimes you'll get a shiny within the first 10 hatches, and sometimes it won't be until after several hundred hatches. Pray to RNG gods.

As for the second question.....it kinda depends on who you're talking to. Some people prefer that event pokes are untouched, some don't mind if it's gotten some exp or EVs.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Ok sorry for maybe the dumbness here, but I have heard and with the recent shiny events that ppl from France have the french DS but the Japanese game, are other regions and exception? I mean I bought the Jap. games every time for my US DSi and they work just firne, but never tried with the 3DSs.

The DSi isn't region locked, which is why you were able to do it then. But unfortunately, the 3DS is the first Nintendo handheld system to be region locked :c Not sure about the French DS/Japanaese games situation. Perhaps they were just events that happen to be available in both Japan and France?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Do you get the Shiny Charm by catching all the Pokemon or just seeing them?
    You have to catch them all. You don't actually have to have one copy of all 719 species in your PC boxes though; just having owned the Pokemon at one point is good enough.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    I have Pokemon X and my Zorua was traded for a Darkrai through GTS.
    Isn't Darkrai a special event pokemon?
    Then why can't I trade Hoopa on GTS? Do I need to wait for this Hoopa event to be over in order to trade on there?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I have Pokemon X and my Zorua was traded for a Darkrai through GTS.
    Isn't Darkrai a special event pokemon?
    Then why can't I trade Hoopa on GTS? Do I need to wait for this Hoopa event to be over in order to trade on there?

Darkrai is hacked. Yes, event Pokémon cannot be traded over the GTS. Their special ribbons prevent them from being traded there. Hackers remove the ribbon, so the event 'mons can go through the GTS.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    Question about Kanto starters

If I were to pick a starter besides Charizard, such as Blastoise, would I be able to get both of Charizard's mega stones later or just one?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If I were to pick a starter besides Charizard, such as Blastoise, would I be able to get both of Charizard's mega stones later or just one?
    Only one. Which one you'll get depends on what version you're playing on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Once they are triggered, does anyone know the actual probability for the appearance of a pokemon with a hidden ability in a friend safari? Everywhere I've looked references a "chance," but I've yet to see an actual percentage/source.

Edit: after more digging, I found a comment on bulbapedia where a user tested mons with two slotted abilities and the percentage appears to be roughly 33% for all abilities. That only leaves the question of probabilities when there is only one slotted ability.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2015
    Hey, I don't want to double up types before I head into the Elite Four. Which Pokemon would be more valuable against those trainers: Steelix or Lucario?

Years
  • Hey, I don't want to double up types before I head into the Elite Four. Which Pokemon would be more valuable against those trainers: Steelix or Lucario?

I'd say Lucario. While Ground moves are effective, the problem is Steelix focuses way too much on its Defense, whereas Lucario is more offensive and learns much better move coverage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back