• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I still think that Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type...

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    I've been like this for a very long time now... I still think that Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type... He meant to be the polar opposite of Ho-oh, which its element is Fire, so Lugia should be Water. Many people, including myself, expected that before Pokemon Gold/Silver were introduced. If anyone can explain why it ended up as Psychic/Flying Type and should stay that way, please do, I really want to put this to rest.

There are also some few other things I have issues about as well but I currently can't remember them all...

One of those things is that I think Salamance should be named as Flygon since his first two stages have 'gon' at the end of their names and that in Pokemon descriptions says that he longs for the day he can finally fly when he is at its first two stages. When he reaches his third stage, he can finally fly. Not to mention that he learns the move 'Fly' when he evolves into Salamence. Which comes down to two words: the word 'Fly' when he can fly; and the word 'Gon' because it's the end of his first two stages' names. Combine the two words together and you get a 'Flygon', which is the most appropriate name for Salamence.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I always wondered why Rhyhorn, Rhydon and Rhyperior aren't a steel type
    Cause they are the drill pokemon, and drill are typically made out of steel

I guess they already had two types in Gen 1 before steel was introduced

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Well...What about Gyrados...How is it Flying...It should be Dragon in my opinion...I always thought it was a mistake...And never changed it due to lack of consistency...And I thought Lugia should be water too...Due to its title of Guardian of the SEA...

And for Salamence...Its Sala means its a Salamander Dragon...For Ex...Look under its legs...neck...And tail...Its Red...And I'm pretty sure its slimy...I'm pretty sure the Blue Skin is like a Salamader's Slimy skin...Those are my Feelings towards the Types...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Lugia should be Water/Flying IMO tpp. Yeah he can speak telepatically but many Pokemon can do that.

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    I always wondered why Rhyhorn, Rhydon and Rhyperior aren't a steel type
    Cause they are the drill pokemon, and drill are typically made out of steel

I guess they already had two types in Gen 1 before steel was introduced
    Well, like you said, Gen 1 didn't have Steel Type so Rhyhorn and Rhydon are not Steel Type. As for Rhyperior, I don't really know, it's very debatable...

Well...What about Gyrados...How is it Flying...It should be Dragon in my opinion...I always thought it was a mistake...And never changed it due to lack of consistency...And I thought Lugia should be water too...Due to its title of Guardian of the SEA...

And for Salamence...Its Sala means its a Salamander Dragon...For Ex...Look under its legs...neck...And tail...Its Red...And I'm pretty sure its slimy...I'm pretty sure the Blue Skin is like a Salamader's Slimy skin...Those are my Feelings towards the Types...
    And also Lugia is the polar opposite of Ho-oh, another reason why he should be Water.

I partially agree with you about Gyarados. Believe it or not, Gyarados can only learn one Flying-Type move, the move 'Bounce', which is generally not a very good move. But then again, if Gyarados were to be a Dragon Type, he'd be too powerful to battle against, which makes his only weakness being Dragon-Type moves which people rarely use since Dragon-Type moves only works well against Dragons Types. He's already hard to take down without electric moves as it is.

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I can see why it should be a water/flying type, but at the same time... It would have a real advantage against it's polar opposite. fire/flying vs. water/flying... it's quite obvious who would have the advantage here. I'm thinking they simply didn't want one bird overpowering the other, so they made one of them something else/flying. And if it's really that important, it's not like he doesn't learn any water type moves (hydro pump anyone?)

The other one that's always bothered me is the same as someone else posted above... Gyrados not being a dragon type. It would have made more sense to me for it to be water/dragon than flying/water, but whatever lol.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I actaully prefer Gyrados' current typing because he is bulky enough already. I guess Lugias is okay too.

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    I can see why it should be a water/flying type, but at the same time... It would have a real advantage against it's polar opposite. fire/flying vs. water/flying... it's quite obvious who would have the advantage here. I'm thinking they simply didn't want one bird overpowering the other, so they made one of them something else/flying. And if it's really that important, it's not like he doesn't learn any water type moves (hydro pump anyone?)

The other one that's always bothered me is the same as someone else posted above... Gyrados not being a dragon type. It would have made more sense to me for it to be water/dragon than flying/water, but whatever lol.
    Well if they were going to make it fair between the two, they would at least avoided making Kyogre the obvious winner in a battle between Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. LOL

And about Gyarados, read my last post before this one. I've edited it to make my point about Gyarados.

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    I LIKE my psychic/flying hybrid fyi.
    But Lugia is so hard to take down, just look at Ho-oh, he's easy to take down with Rock-Type moves but Lugia just so happens to have High Defense and High Special Defense and have no quad-effective weaknesses...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • In fact, Gyarados, besides the whole 'if it was Water/Dragon type... game breakage!' thing, is actually based on a legend involving a flying carp that became something like what Gyarados is. Here's a bit on that - https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gyarados_(Pokémon)#Origin - I suppose that the flying bit involves the carp 'flying' over the gate and so forth.

As for Lugia... well, as noted, there is the point of the fact that it would possibly then proceed to further own Ho-oh and all... although it is slightly odd on the face of it. But IMO it being Psychic isn't completely non-sensical either, and I'm fine with it. It has some water-typed moves as well. But at any rate, its signature move is Aeroblast, a flying-type move. Hmm, interesting...

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • But if its Psychic...Back in Gen. II the only two Psychic moves it could learn were Psychic (TM) and future Sight...But Ho~oh could also learn this...Yet it can learn Hydro Pump...Rain Dance...Surf...and many more Water moves...

And on Gyrados...I've seen that...And Gyrados is not a carp...It Evolved from a carp...Yet at the same time it says it was based off a Sea DRAGON...But I see where your going with this...

And Lugia is Supposed to be hard to take down...It has Very high Def. And Sp.Def...While Ho-oh has Very high offensive stats and A lot more weaknesses...While it keeps the Same Sp. Def Stat as Lugia...It has more weaknesses...Giving it the Classification of a Sweeper...And Lugia a Wall...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Well, like you said, Gen 1 didn't have Steel Type so Rhyhorn and Rhydon are not Steel Type. As for Rhyperior, I don't really know, it's very debatable...

And also Lugia is the polar opposite of Ho-oh, another reason why he should be Water.
    Ahem Magnemite=Steel/Electric.
    So....

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
  • But Lugia is so hard to take down, just look at Ho-oh, he's easy to take down with Rock-Type moves but Lugia just so happens to have High Defense and High Special Defense and have no quad-effective weaknesses...

You dont need to have quad effective moves to take down half the pokemon in this game tbh. Besides, its a legendary, high defense is expected. Just use a Rotom to rape it, really :P

Also, none of the legendaries seem to be real polar opposites in anything. Dialga and Palkia are Steel and Water which doesn't make any real sense to me. But im like "ok".

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    I think they messed up with salamence and flygon, mabey a mistranslation, and they just kept it.

Also, if gyarados is water/flying.....WHY CANT IT FLY?!?!

And the lugia thing, it shouldve been water flying or mabey water psy??? but still with flying moves

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • And on Gyrados...I've seen that...And Gyrados is not a carp...It Evolved from a carp...Yet at the same time it says it was based off a Sea DRAGON...But I see where your going with this...
    Well, based off a sea dragon which was a carp fish, so I suppose that's were they got the typing. It does seem odd, but heck, there are always some things that appear odd to use when it comes to Pokemon. XD Either way though I don't see it changing - they've been happy to keep it like this for so long, and changing its typing is basically kicking the canon of what it is - a Water/Flying type - in the face, I suppose. -_-

Also, if gyarados is water/flying.....WHY CANT IT FLY?!?!

And the lugia thing, it shouldve been water flying or mabey water psy??? but still with flying moves
    I don't see that oversized dragon thing flying ever. XD
    And I'd question a giant bird Pokemon not being a Flying Type Pokemon even more, actually. =/

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • How about Psyduck and Golduck? They can both use Psychic-type moves. Psyduck has the word "psychic" in his name, and Golduck is designed to look psychic, what with the gem on its forehead.

However, they are both classified as Water types. I think a Psychic type should be added to them.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    This is something that bothered me when I first captured Lugia during my first play of Gold.

When I first encountered it, I was like "Oh this is def. Water/Flying" *catch* *disappointment*.

Back