• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I still think that Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    This is something that bothered me when I first captured Lugia during my first play of Gold.

When I first encountered it, I was like "Oh this is def. Water/Flying" *catch* *disappointment*.
    Dont you mean "Silver",beside why did you got Dessapinted,Psychic Types are one of the strongest type actully.Still,Lugia learns Water attacks so..

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    Well if they were going to make it fair between the two, they would at least avoided making Kyogre the obvious winner in a battle between Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. LOL

And about Gyarados, read my last post before this one. I've edited it to make my point about Gyarados.

Actually, since Groudon is slower, Sunny Day would take effect (if he's battling Kyogre), so Kyogre's STAB Water moves would be halved. It actually does balance out pretty well.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Why isn't Lugia a water type?

Well you see. Lugia didn't always live in the water and was the 'diving' Pokemon.

If you remember he lived in the Brass Tower before he lived around the Whirlpool Islands. When the tower got burned down he had to leave.

I assume, he got caught on fire and had to dive into the waters around the Whirlpool Islands. This is why he lives there and why heis not as feathery as Ho-oh.

As for him being Psychic, I believe it is suppose to represent the mind while Ho-Oh's Fire is suppose to represent the spirit. So they were the birds of mind and spirit.

However, after the fire they took on new identities. Ho-oh represented unite and Lugia represented solitarily.

Or, that's what I think at least.

Why isn't Salamence called Flygon?

Because Bagon's and Shelgon's japanese names don't end with gon. Flygon's, however, does.

Why isn't Gyarados a dragon type?

I'm only going to say this once.

BECAUSE YOU CAN FIND THEM FREAKIN EVERYWHERE YOU IDIOT!!!!! IT WOULD BE WAAAAAY TOO EASY TO GET A DRAGON TYPE!!!!!1+SHIFT!!! AND WE CAN'T MAKE THEM RARER BECAUSE THAT WOULD DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF MAGIKARP!!!!!!!!!

That's is all.

Why aren't Psyduck and Golduck psychic types?

That's a very good question.

It's mostly likely due to the fact the psychic type was one of the most powerful types at the time making psychic types harder to catch.
    So, they decided to make it a little bit easier for players by giving them a Pokemon that wasn't psychic but could at least use psychic moves.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Well if they were going to make it fair between the two, they would at least avoided making Kyogre the obvious winner in a battle between Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. LOL

Right... but those guys came way later, and they've got nothing to do with the two birds lol. I'm talking specifically about the two birds, and it's very possible the designers changed their minds about "equal typing" later down the road with those three pokemon.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    A water and flying type for Lugia would have made sense, seeing as thought it lived in the Deep sea and can fly so high xD I agree with this, maybe it should have been water/flying instead. :)

Ashmi

ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵? ??)
    Years
    I never really understood that, either. You'd think the guardian of the sea would at least be water-type.

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Lugia has always been considered a defensive Pokémon absolutely, his/her presence in the uber metagame is fundamental to stop a lot of sweeper, and it is a Psyco-Flying.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    Actually, since Groudon is slower, Sunny Day would take effect (if he's battling Kyogre), so Kyogre's STAB Water moves would be halved. It actually does balance out pretty well.

Actually, I think they both have a base speed of 90.

It's mostly likely due to the fact the psychic type was one of the most powerful types at the time making psychic types harder to catch.
    So, they decided to make it a little bit easier for players by giving them a Pokemon that wasn't psychic but could at least use psychic moves.

But even then, it is still kind of annoying and confusing that Psyduck and Golduck's most powerful Psychic-attack by level up is Confusion, and that they couldn't even learn Psychic by a TM until this generation.. -.-

Elite Champion

The Old Pokemon Days <3
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2012
    Porygon-z is Normal

i think he should be steel or psychic

and gyarados< WTH he's flying

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It would have actually made a lot of sense to make Lugia the Water/Flying type as its opposite, Ho-oh, is a Fire/Flying type. Then again, only they (The Creators) really knew why they made it a Psychic/Flying type instead xD

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
    I think that Lugia should be Dragon/Water with the ability Levitate.
    Lugia looks like a dragon doesn't he!?

pokerus34

Labyrinthine Rhapsody
    Years
    Lugia should be Water/Flying type... After all, in the games, Lugia is the counterpart of Ho-oh... And Ho-oh is a Fire/Flying type, so... Lugia should be Water/Flying Type.

P.S.

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    Lugia controls ocean currents, which sounds like it takes a certain degree of psychic power. Besides, there's already a bird of moisture, Articuno.
    Articuno is a Ice/Flying Type, not Water/Flying Type.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Lugia should be maintained as a Psychic/Flying type. It can learn it's STAB moves and such... Although it's called Diving Pokemon and it can learn Water-type moves. It can use telepathy, like in the movie. Ho-oh can't. And those "arms" are wings lightmare. If those are arms, it can't fly lolz.

Lightning Storm

That guy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2011
    The reason gyarados and charizard are both flying types instead of dragon is

A. Dragon types are supposed to be rare. These 2 pokemon are incredibly easy to obtain.

B. The dragon type was only added at the very end of the 1st gen, when they made dragonite. It's the ONLY 1st gen dragon type, so they pretty much added it simultaneously with him. They didn't want to go back and fix gyarados and charizard, so they left them as flying types. I'm pretty sure that's right >.>

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    Lugia should be maintained as a Psychic/Flying type. It can learn it's STAB moves and such... Although it's called Diving Pokemon and it can learn Water-type moves. It can use telepathy, like in the movie. Ho-oh can't. And those "arms" are wings Lightmare. If those are arms, it can't fly lolz.

That's why his ability should be Levitate, lolz - a light flapping of it's arms/wings might blow down houses, so why shouldn't it be able to control that to a slightly lesser degree?
    I mean, Hariyama can learn Whirlwind, yet it has no wings.. OH right! It can probably do some special "Air gathering technique" with its arms, that allows it to some sort of control the wind due to it's Fighting-type. So why can't Lugia do the same? ;)

My entire idea with drastically changing his typing and his ability was the fact that

1) He's supposed to be a counterpart to Ho-oh, right? Then it's a nice match up, Flying vs Fighting, Water vs Fire.

2) That way, he can also serve as a COUNTER-part to most opponents. ^^

3) I wanted to make a crazy theory. lol.

Back