• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I still think that Lugia should be a Water/Flying Type...

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Seeing Lugia as the counterpart would have worked out really nicely and could have even made a great movie with a battle between Lugia and Ho-oh [seeing as Ho-Oh still hasn't gotten its own movie] xD Though, having Psychic types moves to its advantage is nice too, plus it would keep it away from a 4x weakness to electric moves.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    As for me, I think Lugia should be a Psychic/Flying. But, as for any difficult question, research is always in order.

Example:
    Lugia are thought to be the leaders of the legendary birds of Kanto. Much like the birds, it possesses the ability to control the weather, most notably it can calm storms. They are highly intelligent, and because of the devastating power it could accidentally inflict, it isolates itself deep underwater.

To elaborate, Lugia are able to control the whether. How else but with Psychic powers.

Now, let's look at its movepool.
    Water-type Moves:

• Hydro Pump
    • Rain Dance

Psychic-type Moves:

• Extrasensory
    • Calm Mind
    • Future Sight

There's ONE more psychic move. But these are just the moves it can learn via level-up. What about the rest?

Water

• Water Pulse
    • Brine
    • Surf
    • Waterfall
    • Aqua Tail
    • Dive

Psychic

• Light Screen
    • Psychic
    • Reflect
    • Rest
    • Skill Swap
    • Dream Eater
    • Trick
    • Zen Headbutt

It learns two more psychic-type moves as compared to the water-type moves.

In conclusion, it's psychic-type for its ability to control the weather and it only lives in the water to protect other people from its awesome powers. As for being the 'polar opposite' of Ho-Oh, the dex entries never once stated that. That is simply an observation by the fans. So it has never been explicitly stated by anyone or anything other than a fan that it is Ho-Oh's polar opposite, thus that's not a good back-up argument.​

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    To be honest, if they changed its type now, it would confuse the players. Meh, I guess we'll just have to cope with it being flying/psychic. Although I agree, but then again, why isn't Groudon fire as isn't it meant to be the opposite of Kyogre? :\ Also, when I was younger, I always thought it waf flying and water anyway. :P It would make more sense if it was water and flying though, as apart from it speaking telepathicaly and what-not, it doesn't really seem like a Psychic type, plus it usually resides in (minus XD) a place filled with water. :\ (Or in water itself, plus it learns quite a few water type moves, like Hydro Pump. :\)

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I do not think they would go and change the typing of it now. Though, Lugia is the only Pokémon to learn Hydro Pumpo and not be a water type, adding on a rarity to it as it is a Psychic type instead.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    But even then, it is still kind of annoying and confusing that Psyduck and Golduck's most powerful Psychic-attack by level up is Confusion, and that they couldn't even learn Psychic by a TM until this generation.. -.-

Back in gen 1 psychic types were gods.
    Psychic types were super powerful for the fact that the ghost types were part poison and the bug types were not very powerful.
    They could only do so much without making psyduck/golduck too powerful.

Besides, Psyduck's/Golduck's only psychic move by level up was confusion and you could get one with psychic through trading from g/s/c.

Porygon-z is Normal

i think he should be steel or psychic

and gyarados< WTH he's flying

You don't know if the Porygons are made out of steel. They could be made out of plastic.
    Also, there isn't any confirmation that they are psychic.

Years
    I'm fine with Lugia being Psychic/Flying...I was confused when it wasn't part Water, but now that it's been that way for so long it would be hard to adjust to a change, plus I wouldn't want it to have that x4 weakness to Electric attacks.

Always thought the Gyarados thing was strange, but as someone said, it wouldn't be very hard to obtain a Dragon type if Gyarados was part Dragon. I may not agree with it completely but I understand where they are coming from.

I do think Psyduck and Golduck should be part Psychic, though. I also always thought Vaporeon should be part Ice, but I understand why they did that, too--it would mess up the pattern they had going with the Eeveelutions.

As for me, I think Lugia should be a Psychic/Flying. But, as for any difficult question, research is always in order.

Example:
    Lugia are thought to be the leaders of the legendary birds of Kanto. Much like the birds, it possesses the ability to control the weather, most notably it can calm storms. They are highly intelligent, and because of the devastating power it could accidentally inflict, it isolates itself deep underwater.

To elaborate, Lugia are able to control the whether. How else but with Psychic powers.

Well, like I said I agree that Lugia's Psychic/Flying typing is fine. But that argument doesn't make much sense, lol. The example you cite states that the legendary birds of Kanto are able to control the weather, and they do it without Psychic powers, so why would Lugia need Psychic powers to do the same thing?

But I agree that Lugia hides underwater not because it has any affinity towards it but because it is trying to protect the world from its overwhelming strength.​

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

Example:

In conclusion, it's psychic-type for its ability to control the weather and it only lives in the water to protect other people from its awesome powers. As for being the 'polar opposite' of Ho-Oh, the dex entries never once stated that. That is simply an observation by the fans. So it has never been explicitly stated by anyone or anything other than a fan that it is Ho-Oh's polar opposite, thus that's not a good back-up argument.​

Using Lugia's Psychic-type to justify its weather-controlling ability is not good, either. Groudon and Kyogre can both alter the weather with the abilities Drought and Drizzle respectively; they're not Psychic-type. Though Rayquaza cannot physically alter weather, it can negate weather effects with the Air Lock ability. It's not Psychic-type either.

Even Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Abomasnow can alter the weather (Sand Stream and Snow Warning), and they're not even legendary, let alone Psychic-type. To "calm storms", as the Dex Entry says, Lugia could equally have Air Lock/Cloud Nine as its ability, essentially negating the effects of "storms" (Rain Dance's Water-type boost, Thunder's no-miss accuracy in rainfall). However, that would draw from Rayquaza's uniqueness.

With Lugia as Water/Flying, the creators could still let it possess a Psychic movepool, if it absolutely needs one. Even though the ability would be more fitting for Articuno, Lugia could have Snow Warning to display a unique weather-altering power. (The only reasons I'm doing a Hail-based ability are:

1. As Lugia is the Guardian of the Sea, and Hail is composed of ice (derived from water), the element fits. Again, I believe Articuno is more fitting for Snow Warning, though it would disrupt the equal abilities of its trio.
    *I know a Snow Warning Lugia would hurt itself with Hail, but Groudon and Kyogre potentially set themselves up for KOs with their abilities (speedy Pkmn using Solarbeam on Groudon with Drought/Thunder on Kyogre with Drizzle)

2. Hail (transformed water) could be seen as a counter to Ho-oh. Instead of Pressure, Ho-oh could have Drought (since it is associated with fire and the sun).

3. Hail would give Lugia a weather-altering power without the need to go Psychic-type.

As for a Water/Flying Lugia, that is only to be seen as a counterpart to Ho-oh. While not stated to be polar opposites, many of Lugia's and Ho-oh's respective associations counter each other. Also, both Pokemon equally get a 4x weakness. Ho-oh gets an additional weakness to water because of its higher attacking stats.

Also, to preserve "uniqueness" (among legendaries only), if Groudon lost Drought to Ho-oh, it could take up Sand Stream instead, as that is its primary type. However, Groudon w/Drought better fits among the surrounding legends.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd like mainly Gyarados (and maybe Charizard, though I like that its Flying-type suits its ACTUAL ABILITY TO FLY!) to be Dragon-type, too sadly, that could make them too over-powered. However, changes could be made in stats and movepools to lessen the threat and retain the Dragon-typing.

I got annoyed about the Bagon > Shelgon =/= Flygon, since the names are very suggestive of such a dragon family, rather than Salamence, which hints more towards salamander. But, I guess I can let Salamence be the "menace" that it is. ;) And anyway, "Flygon"could doubly imply that it's a dragonfly...

And lastly, WHY didn't they make Yanmega Bug/Dragon? It's a much better type combo than the repetitive Bug/Flying we've seen like a thousand times already.
    Now how are we going to get a Bug/Dragon Pokemon?

All these inconsistencies just make me wanna get PokeSav and alter abilties and types to fit! Sigh... Anyway, it's just my opinion.

*When I'm dealing with Lugia and the like, I'm more concerned with the legends fitting the Pokemon rather than the Pokemon fitting the competitive scene. I'm not really that competitive, but I'll use competitive Pokemon sets if I need/want to. Sorry for the long post!

zerwey

:3
    Years
    Porygon-z is Normal

i think he should be steel or psychic

and gyarados< WTH he's flying

Agreed. Porygon and its evolutions should be classified as Psychic types; with Normal, they're pretty weak. ):

As for Lugia, I would agree with it being Water/Psychic type, but I don't really care either way since I don't use it xD.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Agreed. Porygon and its evolutions should be classified as Psychic types; with Normal, they're pretty weak. ):

As for Lugia, I would agree with it being Water/Psychic type, but I don't really care either way since I don't use it xD.

Lugia would be stuck with its Flying type, as for Water and Psychic it can go either way, but they stuck it out with Psychic, and there most likely won't be going back to fix that.

As for Porygon, just because it can learn a few Psychic moves doesn't mean it nessecary to have it as a psychic type. There isn't much backing it for it even being part Psychic. xD

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Hopefully, we could see a change in Lugia's abilities and movesets in Soul Silver...

Lapras isn't, and it used telepathy during one of the Santa episodes.
    Generally speaking, Pokémons who uses telpepathy are Phychic Pokémons.

Translator

I want a blog.
    Years
    Well, I agree that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type and I really don't understand why did they make Lugia into a part Psychic and Flying type and besides Water is the opposite of Fire and Ho-Oh is a Fire/Flying type. So, I really think that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Well, I agree that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type and I really don't understand why did they make Lugia into a part Psychic and Flying type and besides Water is the opposite of Fire and Ho-Oh is a Fire/Flying type. So, I really think that Lugia should be part Water and Flying type.
    If Lugia was Water/Flying, it would probably be one-sided. Water/Flying > Fire/Flying.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    For everyone who commented that the birds and Kyogre and Groudon are also able to control the weather without being psychic-types (that would be a LOT of quoting if I quoted, so I'll make this general. XD), I have to say this.

Groudon and Kyogre control weather that corresponds with their typings. Groudon creates a drought and Kyogre makes it rain.

The legendary birds are the same. Zapdos controls electricity and thunderstorms, Articuno controls blizzards, and Moltres seems to bring about spring.

(Citations: The Pokédex, Source)​

Spoiler:

Thusly, they don't NEED to be psychic. Why? Because they only control weather that corresponds with their type.

Lugia seems to be able to control unspecific types of weather. Also, since Kyogre was created, there's no need for Lugia to be a Water-type.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Color isn't always the best thing to jugde a Pokémon on their typing. I have to say that even if I would like Lugia to have been water/flying, I don't agree with that a Pokémon has to be psychic to control something.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I agree with flash.
    When I first saw ralts and it's evos I thought they were grass types because they were green.

Back