• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Toyota Releases Miku Hatsune Commercial

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Ha, at least they used her best song. Anyway I'm not the biggest Miku/Vocaloid fan but it could have been worse, I mean the first 30 seconds of the ad are pretty cool.

Also, the comments are funny.
AMERICA WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THIS! D:

Years
So... who's the target audience for this? Are they trying to get vocaloid fans to buy cars? Or are they trying to get Toyota customers into Vocaloid? Because the latter will never happen. Never.

If it weren't for the fact that there's the whole collab celebration premise, I would never understand why this exists. I can't think of any reason why self-respecting person would want to buy a Toyota because of this; "BUY THIS CAR! IT'S SPONSORED BY THE IDOL OF INTERNET GEEKS AND SHUT-INS! ALSO HER VOICE SOUNDS HEAVILY AUTOTUNED AND HIGH PITCHED!"

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can't think of any reason why self-respecting person would want to buy a Toyota because of this; "BUY THIS CAR! IT'S SPONSORED BY THE IDOL OF INTERNET GEEKS AND SHUT-INS!"

Contrary to popular belief, people who enjoy Vocaloids also occasionally enjoy human contact, travel, or other outside-the-house varieties of entertainment, even if it's a comic book movie. Even outside of that, they require transportation for things such as doctor's appointments and grocery shopping. I'm not sure if you're implying that no one who likes Vocaloids ever buys a car, or no one who likes Vocaloids use cars enough to need a new one. Either way, that's as large a fallacy as saying everyone who likes Sailor Moon wears tennis shoes, so an ad using Sailor Moon to advertise heels wouldn't work. (Edit: Maybe you're just implying that no one who likes Vocaloids enough to want to support a company attempting to raise their popularity in America is self-respecting?)

If I was a bigger fan of Hatsune Miku, I would probably be a lot more likely to buy Toyotas, honestly. I only know a few Vocaloid songs as it is, so I think this is pretty cool that it's going more mainstream in America, but it probably won't affect my buying decision much. It does give me a very positive opinion of the company though.

Years
Contrary to popular belief

Exactly. Popular belief is that we're all like that. Sad truth is that society is shallow and extremely judgmental. I was implying that the average consumer (I guess this would be the self-respecting person) would have likely have little influence on their buying decision due to this ad, and that the influence would likely be negative due to the social stigma attached to fans of this character. Something like that.

Also, Vocaloid fans are an extremely small majority of the consumer market (and those who are of age/able to drive are even smaller). I'm not saying that they don't need cars, but if this ad did influence them to buy one, the impact would be minimal.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I have the sport version of that car. I've never felt so close to miku. <3

I laughed so hard when he said "it's the official car of Hatsune Miku"

That's the most random connection ever.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
LOL; one of my Runescape friends simulating the "Miku" persona told me about this. Once the turquoise hair pigtails popped out, I knew this commercial was getting weird. XD I liked how the camera panned from the street to the sky adorned by skyscrapers in the foreground.

I associate the "Vocaloid" thing with mostly the Japanese culture, as I haven't experienced it implemented anywhere else. It's a good start that Toyota is introducing the concept here, and they even retained her Japanese voice. WTF was up with the introductory scream, though? >.<

And those eyes...those gaping blue eyes. *shudders*

Kea

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2011
Wait... is this seriously an English commercial? Why would anyone outside of Japan care about Vocaloids? I'm well aware there's a fanbase here, but it's very obscure...

I can see this being a commercial in Japan, but putting Miku in an American commercial is just... weird.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
Wow, that was pretty terrible

If I didn't know what Vocaloid was before I saw that video, I would've been creeped out

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I . . . this is just awful. Sure, I love Miku, but this is . . . weird. It's World Is Mine, sure, but it's a really dodgy-sounding mix of it. The worst part, though, is that horrible image on Toyota's /corollamiku webpage. It's just . . . terrible. *shudders*

I'm glad that they're trying to make Japanese culture like this more mainstream, but at the same time, I'm kinda not. :x

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
We're cool because we're not cool. Fight their attempts at mainstreamocity.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Wow.

I'm...

both happy and disturbed by this. xD; Mixed feelings.

For one, they could've used a better song, or maybe the Append version of said song.

Not gonna lie, though, if I had seen this on TV, I would've freaked out. Not in a bad way.

TEAM BLUE

Friendly Trainer
Years
Oh yeah lol i saw it on YouTube the other day!XD i don't know why but i lauged so hard!!!XD
Although i personally think it came out okay!:) Hmmm very Convincing!:/ XD

Oh yeah lol i saw it on YouTube the other day!XD i don't know why but i lauged so hard!!!XD
Although i personally think it came out okay!:) Hmmm very Convincing!:/ XD

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Wow, it almost wants me to overlook all the recall troubles Toyota's been having lately and actually buy one... Almost.

I just don't know how it will play in the (non-otaku) US market...

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2011
I think it's pretty cool, they're releasing an English version of Vocaloid, so why not a car of miku too? haha. I'm tempted to buy toyota, but i'll only buy it if they release a version of the car with something vocaloid related on/in the car. And I don't think the toyota/miku idea is making people mad, from what i've seen most people like it, they only dislike the initial design they were using, "Macho Miku" as they call it.

So... who's the target audience for this? Are they trying to get vocaloid fans to buy cars? Or are they trying to get Toyota customers into Vocaloid? Because the latter will never happen. Never.

I still don't know who Toyota was trying to target as their audience, But saying toyota customers will never get into vocaloid is a false assumption. Vocaloid is a voice/music program. It's fun, like autotune. I don't understand what's barring them from enjoying vocaloid unless they're just scared of it being foreign(But soon they don't have to worry about that because of the english version of vocaloid). And also it's kinda hard to make a computer sound not autotune-y since it's, like, a computer program. The only problem for Vocaloid is the devotion. The reason why vocaloid is so popular in Japan is the amount of devotion Japanese people have into making songs for Vocaloid and Hatsune Miku. I don't know if people outside Japan will be as devoted to making songs for her when the English version comes out.

Though with the scream...it's very surprising even if you already know it's part of the song. It would have been WAY better if they put it at the end of the commercial(if they even have to put it in the commercial in the first place). And also the scream sounds way more like a climax of a song with music behind it like the actual song, They used some sorta weird remix in the commercial, the shortened version of the commercial is better.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
they're releasing an English version of Vocaloid
The first VOCALOIDs were actually Leon and Lola, both English. The first VOCALOID02 was Sweet Ann, another English VOCALOID. Japanese just pulled it off better (regardless of KAITO being deemed a failure after initial sales).

But I do remember seeing reports that they plan to make an English version of Miku with VOCALOID03, along with Korean- (there's a demo song on YouTube using Kim Dahi as the source for the voice, just look up "Korean VOCALOID demo" and click the first result), Chinese- and Spanish-speaking VOCALOIDs.

Back