• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Restart or Postgame?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Now that B/W has been out for over a quarter of a year, we've had more than enough time to restart our games dozens of times, or clock hundreds of hours on one save file. What kind of player are you? Do you have the opening down by heart because you've restarted so many times, or are you looking to see your hour counter pass 1000?

As for myself, I've never been the restart type, and I wasn't this time either. All my friends restarted at some point during the game because it didn't turn out the way they wanted, and I was the only one that stuck with it without restarting once. Now I'm well on my way to completing National Dex, no way I'm restarting.

Discuss:
    -Restart or Postgame
    -The difference (or lack thereof) in this action over previous games

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Heh, well I haven't restarted by White version yet because I've got so many great pokémon in it, I don't want them to all be deleted.
    Although I have sent the Pokémon I've raised in my Black version to my white version and restarted around 2 times.

Years
  • I restarted when I got to the 4th gym. Because mine didn't turn out the way I wanted. Now I'm at the 7th gym. I get pretty bored at it so far. After this one no more restarting for me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, I normally restart. I made sure I completed the Unova Pokédex the first time through on Black, and I managed all that by the end of March. I also actually did all the post-game stuff, such as defeating Cynthia, Morimoto and Alder. On my second run, I downloaded Victini, then didn't start playing until well into May. But I stopped by the time I'd got to the cave on Route 9 (I completed the main story, but I just...lost the will to play then).

I'd say whilst the post-game isn't as good as Hg/Ss, and something about Battle Subway means it isn't as good as Battle Frontier, it's still pretty good. The return of Dive is good, even if I do get hopelessly lost in the Ruins, as I don't really want the plates outside of Sinnoh.

Undella Town is lovely, even though I've never seen at its best (Summer, when it apparently has more people) as I've only got that far in Autumn, the music is nice, as are the buildings. That town where they all go inside at night is brilliant due to its logicalness, nice music and nice-looking houses (They remind me of Sootopolis City, as the houses look Greek, like in Santorini, where it's based on). Black City, however, was ridiculously disappointing. And, apart from what the main part looks like and the music, so far I'm not a fan of Entralink, mainly because you can only use it for Dream World if you don't play with friends (which I don't), which means I'm never going to get Black City to expand.

So, overall, other than the disappointment that is Black City, I like the post-game in Unova. Its' pointlessness is part of its' appeal. However, I still restart often.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Postgame, I hate restarting, The fact that you can get legendaries again after you win elite 4 is so much helpful if you kill them first time...

So unless your testing all Starters theres no need to restart

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • With Black and White, I am playing through multiple times with as many different teams as possible. I consider the end of a playthrough to be when you beat Alder. I try to make the teams I play through with as various as possible and only repeat the starters when I've played through more than 3 times. Also, I'm not using legendaries in any of the playthroughs; not even swapping Reshiram or Zekrom into my party when I catch them. Also, I'm only using Unova Pokemon for the playthroughs.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    To me, it depends. Have I traded any Pokémon using that copy? If yes, then I'm keeping my save file. I kinda feel bad deleting other people's Pokémon on my save file. Thinking about all the hard work put into the traded Pokémon, I don't have the heart to destroy all that hard work the other player put into

If I don't trade any Pokémon, then sure. I'd like to relive a few battles for the sake of it (Ghetsis' to be precise) because, truthfully, the main game is quite fun. There's only so much you can do post-ending

tl;dr: If I trade Pokémon, no. If not, yes

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Never have i restarted its just so time consuming having to transfer all your rare pokemon to another game then restarting... though i did think about buying another version

Years
  • unless something tragic happens, like a savefile corruption, I won't restart. usually, I try to complete the pokedex, and for added incentive, try to complete the pokedex in all the languages as well. however, the lack of multilanguage dex entries for unova pokes is a real bummer tho.

also, my save is already synced with my dreamworld, and I don't want to restart, and have to re-make another one all over again.

although, assuming you haven't linked to the dreamworld (or just don't care), you could restart, and replay the game with dreamworld pokemon in your team to see how much different your strategies would be. (point in case, there's a mightyena that's been with mesince gym badge #4, and still serves a good purpose).

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I tend to keep my save file without restarting dozens of times. I always say that I'll get the second version of the game for this, but I ultimately end up doing the same thing lol.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • I have restarted my game about 5 times now, after going through most of the post game, but never beating the E4 twice (Yeah yeah, I know, im lazy.. Just didnt feel like grinding.. And I wanted to see my beloved Elesa~). I cant be asked to catch all the 600 odd pokemon, nor grind my team and turn it into perfection, with IV/EVs. I dont like competitive much either, so basically I get to the end, restart and do it all over again ^^. Usually with different Pokemon. Once I did it with a pure Grass and Bug/Grass team... Scolipede is epic I must say.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I played through the postgame, and it was rather short. But there were still things to do for me, like training Pokemon for the Battle Subway and transferring over older Pokemon from past games.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't intend to restart White. :x Black however, I've already restarted a few times for various reasons and I really should play through it. XD But as for the post-game, it kinda sux so breeding and DW is keeping me occupied on White at least. ^___^

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I never restart my games. Once I play them, I play until I get all of the Pokemon and max out my trainer card. When I'm done with that, I just raise as many Pokemon as I can to level 100. I will be doing this in Pokemon White too

:t354:TG

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I won't be restarting my copy of my White, ever. Restarting is about equal to erasing memories to me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    I've restarted a couple of times to try the game with different pokemon. Now though, since the Victini event has long gone, I'm not restarting.

~Akiko

<3
    Years
  • I used to restart all the time,however, now that I started ev training my teams and I don't have a backup Pokemon game anymore I can't erase. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Restarting after the post-game is very tedious, and I usually don't touch the game for a few months as it feels all the same. I don't even like restarting after the 1st gym.

Back