• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon BW: did you enjoy it?

Cresselia*

Ace trainer
Years
  • Just wondering how everyone thinks about BW, was it what you expected from it? Do you hope they make games like this in the future?
    -

I thought the storyline was good, but after I played Black, I realised I enjoyed HGSS more. I'm not really a fan of those 3D-ish effects :/

(hope you can read my English, I know it's not that good xD)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I enjoy it

Just wondering how everyone thinks about BW, was it what you expected from it? Did you like the storyline? Do you hope they make games like this in the future?
    -

I thought the storyline was good, but after I played Black, I realised I enjoyed HGSS more. I'm not really a fan of those 3D-ish effects :/

(hope you can read my English, I know it's not that good xD)
    I enjoy Black/White (I have both) and I really like text speed. I mean in HGSS and older games, text was so slow. I also like storyline. It was different than other games and I think that was good.

But 3D-effects... There is too much of them. I like Skyarrow Bridge, Castelia City and that when Reshiram/Zekrom appears in N's Castle, but Victory Road, Village Bridge, etc. was... well, not so good.

But new Pokemons? Did you like them? I like them. They are different and that is good.:t385:

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Just going to mention that there's a thread for storylines already, so all posts about the storyline should go there (actually I'm going to edit that out).

Buut since we don't have an overall thoughts of the games thread, this is all good... as long as people don't go into details of features they like and hate otherwise I'll need to lock this or move posts often :3

I really did enjoy the games. I think there are a loooot more positives than there are negatives. There's just something that seems to fit together better than the other games and I don't really know how to explain, lol :( But! As for the overall design of them, I expected the areas to look more like I imagined, but the actual gameplay and Pokemon, yeaaaah much better than I expected. Really these games couldn't be much better than they are.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I didn't think of it much at first, when I played it, I enjoyed it the farther I got into it, I do like all the Pokemon in it, I like its graphics and especially, the speed of the game. The previous generations just drag on which I dislike...

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I pretty enjoy the game regardless lack of any new feature that introduced in this generation(I call the moving sprites as improvement, not new feature) and the removal of some element of post game worthy from previous game. One of the thing I enjoy most how the make breeding a lot more easier by making the randomized the value each time you pick the egg and how they make grinding a lot easier. Not to mention the endless use of HM and endless stock of Heart Scale. All of those allow me to create my "Dream Team" with no hassle.

Tanaie

•♥~Yaoi~♥•
    Years
  • I enjoyed the game.
    The story was good! It was interesting to see them take a different approach.
    I JUST wish they had developed the story further, and fixed some of the holes that were in it.
    I liked the Pokemon, some of them are DREADFULLY UGLY. But it was exciting to play the game for the first time and wonder what you were going to run into! ♥
    The C-Gear is a really good device, it was really fun walking through my College and seeing other people on too! (And getting into there game and stalking them! :D)
    The landscape was really nice too. Though It did feel like they were shoving the whole "3D" thing in your face a lot.
    Why does Game Freak love bridges so much anyway? LOLS.

It was fun, I was engaged, and I really liked the characters!
    Though one thing that really disappointed me about the game was the Pokemon musical thing.
    I hate that it wasn't much of a competition, more so just watching your Pokemon bob around on stage.
    Unlike the Pokemon Contests or Olympics I would spend hours on trying to reach to the top in the previous games.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Is there any one who has enjoyed the game, but prefer other versions?
    I think Black and White were really enjoyable games, but I do prefer RSE. They were games I could actually restart a billion times but never get too bored of them, and they were a great part of my childhood.

I do hope they make games similar to B/W in the future, but of course more improved. I also hope they don't make games as childish and easy as shown from this generation. :( Otherwise, Black and White are pretty enjoyable games and I really like how it was made for the 5th gen.

Years
  • I really liked it. Felt like a major step up from HGSS, which I didn't like as much since everything felt so slow-mo. I actually kept my battle scenes on in the game too; usually I have a habit of turning them off in other games after a while because they take up too much time, but not in B/W.

Honestly, B/W was the closest thing to a perfect Pokemon game imho. All I felt it lacked was more places to go to after the E4. Then again, that expectation may've been set thanks to HGSS having a whole other region to explore afterwards.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I loved Black and White. The storyline and new Pokemon pulled me in to the story and that made me difficult to put them down.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • BW is probably the best Pokemon game to date. But the other games do have their charms..... Platinum will always be one of my favorites.

644Klaww

LittleBigPlanet + Pokemon = <3
    Years
  • I loved Black and White for the most part. The story was different, which I liked, but the game felt too easy. I kept thinking "It'll get harder I'm sure, I'm only at the beginning," but I realized by the 6th gym, that was as hard as it was gonna get.

I mean, even the gym battles are practically hand-fed to you. I'm not sure if it's always been like that and I'm just noticing now, but for example, before every gym, you could run into a large number of Pokemon that are strong against the gym's main type (catch ice types right before Dragon type gym, etc).

I also wish there was more to do after the Elite 4. A VS Seeker would've been nice, but oh well...

I really loved some of the new features, too. Especially the C-Gear. :P

So in summary I guess I really liked it, but there were quite a few things that I liked in the older games better.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I enjoyed them for the most part. Awesome music, interesting storyline, awesome speed for getting places, cool Pokémon. Bu-ut... I the in-battle sprites tended to look messy, I got bored before the E4, leveling was a pain, the whole thing seemed too scripted. So I didn't enjoy them as much as other games and it just couldn't keep my interest as long as Emerald or Platinum could.

Years
  • Their were a lot more likes then dislikes. The music was so-so for me, but mostly the battle music. And the pokemon sprites in battle just seemed so pixilated.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • I enjoyed my first runthrough of the game, and I am going to being a second one on my white version. What really sold me was just so many new pokemon to capture and train. Plus I got to go to the VGC's this year so that's another reason why I enjoyed it so much.

Zeroblivion

Brotherhood
    Years
  • I liked BW, even for the 3D effects. It was really good and challenging. It is very cool to spend it for hours.. I loved everything in it and the legendary Pokemons.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I love it, but the correct way for me to say "I hate B/W" is "B/W is not Prior to My Fav Gen" What I am trying to say, I didn't hate this Generation, but I loved another Generation more.
    I don't like it as much as another due to the fact that all pokemons are replaced and that's all. So, yeah, I don't hate, its just not prior....
    However, speaking about features, B/W proves to be the best pokemon game. The Additions are just MAJOR!

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    I really enjoyed Black. I beat Alder last night and Cynthia just now so I guessed I've completed the storyline to all it's worth. I thought the story in general was good. I like the new Pokemon and think that all the animated sprites are brilliant. As a musician I would say that the soundtrack is a bit hit and miss. Nimbasa and Mistralton both have awesome music and there are a few good routes: All the battle music is great as well...but then there is some boring stuff as well such as the credits. Overall I found Black...a good revamp of the Pokemon brand.

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • Yes and No. It was hard going to start with, because of the damning limit on what Pokemon you could catch, but once I got into it, it was pretty much the same as any other Pokemon game, and it was fun enough. The story was hardly unique, but it wasn't really any worse than any of the others that had come before it (with the exception of Emerald, which in my opinion has the best plot, because two teams provide much more intrigue than just one) and once the selection of Pokemon widened to include some I wanted to use, it was alright.

But...honestly, I think HeartGold and SoulSilver were considerably better. Not only for the nostalgia factor, but because there was just a whole lot more to them. Black felt like a step backwards after those, really. But it wasn't a bad game, just...nothing special.

Back