• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IGN only gave it an 8.5? WTF!?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
This is probably going to turn out to be quite a long post, so for those who have a tendency to think to themselves "God, Cat Dog... just ask a question so I can bump up my post-count some more!", here's the tl;dr question: Should you trust game reviews? Especially with regard to the marketing campaigns put behind 'good' games? I'd appreciate it if people read what prompted me to ask this question, but I can't force you, so... meh.

-~-~-~

A few weeks ago, pop-culture website The A.V. Club reviewed Uncharted 3 for the PS3 and gave it a 'C'-grade (on an A-F scale, so it was deemed 'not great'; you can read the review here). That, in turn, prompted many angry responses on internet comment sites: some went as far as to suspect the reviewer was a shill for Microsoft for vocalizing his views so forthright. Having not played any of the Uncharted series, I can't comment upon the points raised in the individual review in question, but the response seems, from an outsider's perspective, strangely passionate, given that none of the commenters had played the game at the time of writing.

I brushed this under the rug for a week or so, but when listening to a podcast today that discusses this very review (from the same website), it got me thinking a bit about game reviewing. The podcast segment in question opens with the following statement:

Video game reviews can be surprisingly controversial: even more so than film or music. Video game publishers have a reputation for punishing media for giving bad reviews, and heavily promoted games are expected to get good reviews.

The discussion then moves on to the subject of promotion and reviews. A heavily-promoted summer blockbuster film (like, say, Transformers) is not expected to get great - or even good - reviews from film critics; something like a new Zelda game, on the other hand, is expected not only to sell like hotcakes but get amazing reviews from places like IGN and GameSpot. It seems like much more pressure is placed upon the shoulders of video game reviewers to write positive things about a expensive games and games with large marketing budgets or risk losing reviewing privileges of future games by the same publishers and studios. (For example, 'punishment' could include not being sent review copies, un-invitations to things like E3 events etc.)

All of this leads me to ask, can one really trust gaming reviews of high-profile games if there's such pressure on reviewers to 'inflate' their positive opinion to keep being able to do what they do? Looking at high-profile titles, there does seem to be a relative unanimity as to the level of respect that titles get; there seems to be much less dissent in the video game world, and a desire among readers to have a sense of validation in their gaming choices. Indeed, film and music reviewers, if anything, are too harsh in their reviews; this is either an elitist belief that old music/movies are supremely better than the new, or just a desire to tear into stuff they have no strong feelings for. It's exceedingly rare, for example, to see a film review with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic or something, and yet high-profile video games can often receive 9.0+ on an occasion.

Which links me back to the question originally posited: Should you trust game reviews? Especially with regard to the marketing campaigns put behind 'good' games? (If you've read all the way down to here, thanks... I hope I haven't bored you silly!)

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Well, I base some of my decisions on game reviews and most of the time I completely agree however there have been times when certain games which are flawless have got awfully low ratings and I've had the urge to write in and complain. I hardly get the low scoring games unless they look very appealing to me but if I see a game I like the look of in the shop, I'd just buy it.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Eh well instead of just looking at the rating, I'll most likely read the whole review and see if I agree with it or not. Obviously if I think it's a good review and they gave it a good score, I might just go ahead and buy the game rated. But honestly, at the same time you should honestly try the game out for yourself and see if it's right for you. I know games that have been rated like 90+% on ONM, and I've tried them out and not got the hang of it, it's really your preferences that matter.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I agree with the fact that I pay more attention to the actual text of the review than the score. I'm not the average hardcore gamer, which is what I always assumed the reviews were directed towards considering movie reviews are for movie critics mostly and books are for people that want super high quality books, etc. I'm more on the casual side so mostly I read the review to see things such as "do the controls work as intended?" "is it incredibly hard?" and the like. Generally I don't get my scores from reviews; I honestly don't know where people are coming from with reviews so the only time I pay attention is if it's a very low score. Otherwise I talk to my friends and people that have similar tastes as me and choose based on that.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I don't usually read reviews. If I'm looking forward to a game, I'll look at the aggregate score on GameRankings before I purchase the game just because I want to make something didn't go horribly wrong and it's a steaming pile of poo with like a 20% score or something.

I'll read reviews if I'm on the fence on if I should buy a game or not - like with Metroid: Other M, for example.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
Years
I often ignore game review magazines and websites because of how biased (and often negative) they are, usually, they just bash the game because of the way it looks, or what genre the game is, WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING IT!!! And First-Person Shooters (or anything with an M rating) are always glorified and praised and given high ratings, no matter how bad they are, they just always praise them.

This is how almost ALL the reviews for Pokemon Black and White were in America, in Japan, the games got solid and positive reviews by all the Japanese gaming magazines, being the first Pokemon games to get 40/40 by Famitsu, in America, however, Black and White got negative reviews from all the gaming magazines and websites, all of them (except Nintendo Power) gave the games negative (and often hateful) reviews because "THE PLOT WAS THE SAME!" or "THE POKEMONS WERE UGLY!", or my personal favorite "IT WASN'T GENERATION 1, SO IT SUCKS LOLOLOL!!!1!" (obvious "old-school Pokemon" fans there), Nintendo Power was the ONLY game review magazine that gave a positive review for the games, giving the games a 9.5 (if I remember right) and even having a featured article in one issue, giving fans ideas on what to expect from the then coming new Pokemon games.

So yeah, this is why I often dislike game reviews, because of how stereotypical they are towards certain genres, and how spiteful they are towards other genres, with that kind of attitude, it makes people not want to buy that game at all, no matter how good or bad the game is.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I often ignore game review magazines and websites because of how biased (and often negative) they are, usually, they just bash the game because of the way it looks, or what genre the game is, WITHOUT EVEN PLAYING IT!!! And First-Person Shooters (or anything with an M rating) are always glorified and praised and given high ratings, no matter how bad they are, they just always praise them.

This is how almost ALL the reviews for Pokemon Black and White were in America, in Japan, the games got solid and positive reviews by all the Japanese gaming magazines, being the first Pokemon games to get 40/40 by Famitsu, in America, however, Black and White got negative reviews from all the gaming magazines and websites, all of them (except Nintendo Power) gave the games negative (and often hateful) reviews because "THE PLOT WAS THE SAME!" or "THE POKEMONS WERE UGLY!", or my personal favorite "IT WASN'T GENERATION 1, SO IT SUCKS LOLOLOL!!!1!" (obvious "old-school Pokemon" fans there), Nintendo Power was the ONLY game review magazine that gave a positive review for the games, giving the games a 9.5 (if I remember right) and even having a featured article in one issue, giving fans ideas on what to expect from the then coming new Pokemon games.

So yeah, this is why I often dislike game reviews, because of how stereotypical they are towards certain genres, and how spiteful they are towards other genres, with that kind of attitude, it makes people not want to buy that game at all, no matter how good or bad the game is.
Do you only check reviews on forums, comment sections, and 4chan?

On GameRankings, the average score from professional reviewers, critics, and gaming media on Pokemon Black and White is 87.12% That's not negative at all.

Yeah. Nintendo Power gave it a 9.5 because it's Nintendo and a big title for them. They're not going to say don't buy it. If anything, Nintendo Power is the source you shouldn't go by. 87.12% isn't negative.

Years

You, sir, have never read Game Informer. Gave both Black & White and HGSS 8/10. Rates down annual release games if they don't improve enough. Doesn't usually score anything below a 4, though. Despite covering its development for months, it gave Duke Nukem Forever a lower score than one would think they would based on the coverage they gave it, and Duke Nukem Forever is not the only game that's gotten a lower score that they've covered extensively.

Although there are aspects of it where it is a corporate shill for GameStop, it does features on products of other retailers, often with favorable reviews.

As you can see from what I have just said about GameInformer, I have seen evidences of some reviewers being pretty unbiased. Though certain individual reviewers do go quite a bit too far in bashing some actually good series just to get more views *coughzeropunctuationcough*. I typically read the entirety of each printed review in GameInformer Magazine to get the full story on it.

Years
I read a lot of reviews, just to see what some companies think of the games.
I don't really take notice of a lot of them, because I review my own, but it is still interesting to see what they have to say/what their bosses have told them to say.​

Althea

[For Sale]
Years
I never EVER base my decision on whether or not to buy a video game from the reviews, because there is no such thing these days as a critical analysis of a video game. It's nothing but bias, and I am quite capable of deciding for myself whether or not I'll enjoy a game. When reviewers give a game that is practically identical to the game that preceeded it (the Call of Duty and God of War series are a fantastic example of this point) a ridiculously high score, I tend to just switch off and ignore pretty much every opinion they give.

That said, I find reviews quite informative sometimes, once I've shifted through all the bias that makes up the final score. Avoiding bias is impossible if you're going to attach a score to something, but that said, a good review will tell you how a game plays more than what the person reviewing it thinks of how it plays, and why this is good/bad. Reviews can be useful for giving you information on the finer points of games, but beyond that I'd catergorise the whole lot as absolutely worthless, because it's just a single opinion which it is doubtful I will agree with.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
I don't trust other people's opinions because I can think of a few games that have gotten high ratings that i think are complete crap and games that get bad to mediocre reviews that are actually quite good. Personally I think it just comes down to the gamer and the mood of the gamer at the time.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
The reviews do actually influence me to a certain extent. If some magazine/ website actually posts a good review, I tend to give the review a look, looking at the good and bad points. I usually only look at Gamespot scores, since that's the site I've been visiting since I was a kid. I also check out Metacritic quite a bit, cause, well, it has an aggregate score. I usually pick up games that I feel are good; based on coverage, showcase, often hype, etc. As for trusting... can't say for sure. I feel that to an extent, some reviews ARE biased, because they're generally backed up by huge companies. But that's just my 2 cents. ='D

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I buy most games because of my personal expectations and stuff, but I actually trust reviews a lot, with a few exceptions like NieR or Zone of the Enders GBA.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Well, I'm reminded of Famitsu in Japan giving Pokemon Black and White a 40/40, when those games clearly exhibited examples of bad judgment and rushed execution. I was immediately suspicious that somebody had soem sort of financial involvement in giving those games a perfect score.

I like to read the text of reviews to get a feel for the game, but I take a lot of it with a grain of salt. If I can gleam the reviewer's tastes and preferences and see how closely they match mine, then I may or may not put more stock into what they're telling me. But I make most of my decisions based on personal preferences (which haven't always panned out).

I also review games on occasion on Amazon, and I know that not everyone agrees with all of my sometimes biased opinions, so I would hope someone doesn't make a decision on a game based solely on my review, but I hope it serves as part of the whole decision-making process. That's why I write them.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I think the real problem is score inflation. An average game should be a 50, not a 70. Most reviews themselves are reasonable enough, in my opinion.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years
I read reviews but never base anything on them. If the game sounds and looks fun but the review says it sbad I will still buy it anyway. These game reviewers don't know what I like anyway, they are giving their opinion on the game.

Years
I usually look on Wikipedia, and see all of the average review scores.

BioShock 2

Aggregate scores

GameRankings 87.87%[53]
Metacritic 88%[54]

Review scores

1UP.com B+[55]
Computer and Video Games 9.0[56]
Edge 8/10[57]
Eurogamer 8/10[58]
Famitsu 37/40
Game Informer 8.25/10
GamePro [59]
GameSpot 8.5/10
GameSpy [60]
GamesRadar 10/10
GameTrailers 8.8/10[61]
IGN 9.1/10[62]
Official Xbox Magazine 9.5/10
PSM3 93%

Such as that, and will usually make a decision based on an average. I feel you can't trust just one source. They may have a bias, be retarded, or overhype the way a game feels.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
I think of reviews as opinions on games, and I don't always agree with them. For instance, there are some games that receive horrible or low reviews, even though the game is not that bad. Game ratings and reviews don't necessarily decide whether or not I end up buying that specific game or not, and game ratings don't make a game good either. You can have a game rated 9.5 or 10 and be decent to play, but not that great, and the opposite is true. You can have a game rated 7/10 and still be a great game to play. (EX Game Informer's review of Medal of Honor 2010) Whenever I buy a game, I tend to look at review to get an idea of what that game is like, and if it suits me or not. Then i'll check gameplay videos on youtube, then eventually try the game myself, and if I like it, I end up buying it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I do not pay attention to reviews at all. If I'm really looking forward to a game, I kind of retreat into my own personal bubble about a month or two before the game comes out anyway and ignore any media about it so that I can play with sort of a pure slate. It mostly just annoys me when someone starts talking about review scores when I am in said bubble because... I'm getting the game anyway; I probably already have it pre-ordered. Who cares?

Reviews are just kind of pointless now. The scores seem to be completely arbitrary--I agree with twocows that 5/10 should be an average game and the artificially inflated stuff where 70% is an okay game doesn't make any sense. Not only that but it's so difficult to tell when a reviewer actually thinks a game is good and when a company is just slipping him/her money under the table.

I also see a lot of friends reading reviews and then being disappointed in games they haven't even played yet and were really looking forward to. :( I feel that if you're really interested in a game, you should play it yourself. That's why I much prefer the idea of releasing demos than sending out a bunch of review copies. Let everyone else play a bit of the game and decide for themselves whether it's their thing or not.

Back