• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Woah, that's offtopic - #1

Mumfie

Norwegian penguin!
Years
I didn't get this. So, this topic is too offtopic for the offtopic-discussion, or how's the deal here..? O_ó

h5h5.png

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
...it's just that said reply was just tangentially related to the topic. And yeah, even if we are in Off-topic discussions (because these forums aren't related to videogames, the main topic of Pokécommunity), when you start a thread with a concrete topic, you are required to stick to said topic- this isn't a spam forum, after all D:

Mumfie

Norwegian penguin!
Years
Well, I don't understand how you can label that topic as spam. Atleast that was not my intention.. Allow me to say sayonara. I'll post all my spam in another forum.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Well, I don't understand how you can label that topic as spam. Atleast that was not my intention.. Allow me to say sayonara. I'll post all my spam in another forum.
Uhmm, its not your thread/topic that is offtopic, the post of the user Mew~ is the one offtopic hence the reason why that post was deleted. :/

Years
In order to state what Zeffy said in different words - your topic was in Off-topic Discussions, which is a board for discussions which do not fit into any other forums (ie. Other Entertainment, HG/SS, Fan Fiction etc.). Your topic was okay, there was nothing wrong with it. Meanwhile, Mew~'s reply to your post about Bali may have been "I really like listening to Led Zeppelin" in which case it is off-topic, as it not related to your thread about Bali.

The Off-topic section is for threads of topics which don't fit into other boards. Posts, however, still have to relate to the thread they're being posted in.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I personally agree with Bali-man.. ._. I've seen way "spammy-er" posts around that relate to a "spammy" topic.. and yet they're allowed.

>_> This guy here was obviously trying to bring up conversation, chat about other things in life.. and generally have a discussion in Other Chat.. and that's what it's there for, isn't it?

:/ It always seemed a bit weird to me that people can get away with really crummy replies even though it might be "on topic" like "Hi, I like fish, too" yet posts like these are really discouraged and.. "technically" against the rules..

>_> Like it's one thing to be a strict rule-enforcer.. and a whole other thing to knock someone off who's just trying to make a good conversation.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
The poor guy quit the community because he mistook one deleted post in his thread as said thread being closed for being off-topic in OC? I must say, this is the most epic misunderstanding ever. XD

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I personally agree with Bali-man.. ._. I've seen way "spammy-er" posts around that relate to a "spammy" topic.. and yet they're allowed.

>_> This guy here was obviously trying to bring up conversation, chat about other things in life.. and generally have a discussion in Other Chat.. and that's what it's there for, isn't it?

:/ It always seemed a bit weird to me that people can get away with really crummy replies even though it might be "on topic" like "Hi, I like fish, too" yet posts like these are really discouraged and.. "technically" against the rules..

>_> Like it's one thing to be a strict rule-enforcer.. and a whole other thing to knock someone off who's just trying to make a good conversation.

Uhh... Kura, I did not delete his thread. I did not close his thread. I deleted a reply that said "One of my friends is called Bali", which fits into the category of "really crummy replies", since it had nothing to do with discussing the country called Bali.

I was not banning the discussion in that thread. I was just deleting an offtopic reply from somebody else. If that's being a "strict rule enforcer", so be it, but I was never intending to knock somebody who's trying to make a good conversation off... because, as you can see, the thread is still there, open, waiting for intelligent replies ._.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=233781

Zet

Years
If you want spam, go visit Life, The Universe and Everything or w/e it's called. You can talk about your youtubes or w/e else that doesn't belong in Other Chat.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
The poor guy quit the community because he mistook [S-HIGHLIGHT]one[/S-HIGHLIGHT] deleted post in his thread as said thread being closed for being off-topic in OC? I must say, this is the most epic misunderstanding ever. XD

I agree. It took me a while to understand until I read about the whole picture. At first I was like "WTF?! How the heck would a post be off-topic in the Off-topic Discussions?!" :cer_laugh: Then I realized what that subforum is for (I think) - non-Pokemon topics not covered in any other subforums. And after reading Went's explanation, the deletion of the message seems justified.

I could understand if Mew~ added that tidbit (since it happened to be a little related piece of trivia - in name, at least) along with actually conversing about the topic at hand - the country of Bali - then, maybe the post could have just been left alone since that mention would just be an little afterthought. But if that tidbit was the only content of the entire post, then it does not really go with the thread's topic and as a result, justifies said deletion of post...

At any rate, I REALLY hate misunderstandings... :( Especially the ones where someone's whole perspective of something (in this case, PokeCommunity) is tarnished/completely ruined because of one really little misinterpretation... They can start really odd and unfortunate chain reactions... Isn't that right, Sasuke Uchiha? ;)

I do hope Mumfie returns to learn about the true details of the incident from the explanation, though. Such a shame...

Back